Tree Stand Placement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tree Stand Placement.

I need to lean on the experience of the GS. I'm going to the lease next week to set up a tree stand. I've only hunted out of one other tree stand before and it had lots of cover between me and the feeder plus heavy background to hide in.

I'll be in a large straight tree with no cover between me and the feeder which is 24 yards away. I'm planning the hang the platform at about 20' high at floor level.

My question is this...I'm right handed and if the feeder is at 12 o'clock should I try to set up at around the 4 o'clock position using the large pecan to slightly break up my body?

yes. you can even use the whole tree as a break up for you if you mount the stand on the opposite side of the tree and shoot around the tree.
    depends on what kind of stand you have and how big a platform you're on and how you wear your safety harness.
    But mostly it's how still you are and how slow you move.

Comment

Yes, Any cover is better than none! In similar situations I go 30' up!

Comment

Sounds like you have it figured out. 20' should be plenty high but wear your safety gear when hanging the stand.

Comment

Agreed on the harness, but being sky busted is your biggest concern. Work the stand where you can keep at least part of the trunk between you and the deer.

Comment

Thanks for the info and Roger That on the Harness. I just ordered a new Muddy harness.

Comment

Safety harness - use tree trunk if can shoot around it - back in the day they didn't but deer do look for danger from above now - deal with does every year that come in and if they see anything out of ordinary they stay back and blow until every deer in area knows to steer clear!

Comment

Working...
              X