No announcement yet.

Feeder Drum Corn Guage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oscar - I used to do the knuckle method, but I learned when we had to check 25 feeders in one day..... that is not good on your knuckles!!!

Now I just use the edge of my knife, steel on steel is a lot better on my knuckles!!

Comment

It's so easy for you tall guys to use the knock knock method ... I can't reach the barrell if I'm standing on the ground!

Comment

Man how tall are you

I just move the feeder leg or keep track of the last time I filled it. Depending on the amount you are throwing, you should be able to get a good estimate when you need to add a sack or 4.

Man the price of corn has got me thinking I might have to buy protein instead of $6, 6% protein corn!

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
          I am pretty lazy so I just use the knock knock method.
          I am 6'-3" tall and the knock knock works for me....oh, I am lazy also.

Comment

I cut a series of holes and attach plexiglas squares with two screws sealed with silicone.

IMG_5518.JPG

Comment

TT is 4'9"...we give him 5' for trying!

Comment

We built ours similar to this, but used pop rivets and clear liquid nails exterior. We started at the middle of the drum and went down about 4" from the bottom.The cut in the drum is 1" wide and the plexiglass is 3" wide. Works great so far.
                James

Comment

I also did this on one of my barrels. It worked great! I just started at mid barrel. When the corn got down to there, I knew to bring corn next trip.

Comment

we built the same but it leaked and to many problems chunked the barrel and put no holes just knock on barrel and see if its empty.

Comment

I drilled a couple of holes and siliconed plexi over it. Been working for 4 years now, sure makes it easy to check at a glance.

Comment

A word of advice, what ever your building, if it is going to outside in the sun, use Lexan and not Plexiglass. Plexi will not last long in the sun, Lexan will.

Comment

I like that, I need to do that to mine, to many times of climbing up there to see how much is left. And i have experienced that tapping on the barell doesnt allways tell you how much you have.

Comment

I've also done this like those posted above.
                            One problem I've run into is the lids don't like to fit right after I cut the holes.

I guess the heat warped the drum during the cut.

Maybe cutting with the lid on would have prevented this?

They still, go on, but not without some banging.

It is nice to see the level from a distance without having to get near the feeder.

Comment

Working...
                            X