Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

post your feeder design/pics....i need some ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heres one of my turkey feeder that i made out of a 55 gal drum,,....i still need to add a couple of things to it though that way less critters could get to it....
    Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2007, 05:00 PM. Reason: add a pik

Comment

very nice feeders

Comment

Cheap and easy

I like many others don't have easy access to a welding machine. When I was in North Carolina (hardly any pigs to speak of) I had several different methods to feed and make the corn last longer than just putting it on the ground. These will work if you are close by your lease or hunting spot and don't mind filling them more often.

1. Take three lengths of 8 inch or 10 inch sewer pipe (preferably unused). Cut a 3 foot section of it and put the standard cap on top of it. Make sure to not glue it, but just push it on. This will give you a a good seal to keep water out of the feed, but allow you to refill it with ease. At the other end of the pipes put a 2-3 inch V-cut on one side of the pipe. This will allow a gravity feed, but will only let feed come out in small amounts as the animals eat. Below the pipes mount a piece of plywood with a lip on it so the feed stays in the tray. Mount this flush with the bottom of the pipe. Along the sides of the pipe screw several pieces of 2x4 lumber to them and then attach it to the base. This will keep the pipes verticle. Build a sturdy stand about 2.5 ft off the ground. Make the base big enough to have all three pipes on it and that will give you more room for several animals to eat at the platform. If you place this right the animals will always have their heads away from you making it alot easier to draw without being seen. I have not tested this in an area with alot of pigs, but if you make the platform base with 4x4 posts and sink them in the ground with concrete you should be ok from them.

2. This is very cheap and sounds silly, but it works if you can visit your site often. Fill several 2 or 3 liter coke bottles with corn. Do not put the lids back on. Place them in the area that you are hunting within range and enjoy. This works great with deer. They learn that by spinning it around with their heads or feet that the feed will come out. It is fun to watch and the deer get so focused on getting the feed out that they pay less attention to their surroundings and are not near as edgy.

Again both of these are very inexpensive ways to make your feed last longer and pull animals into your hunting area. Some of us don't have the equipment or money to spend on nice feeders. They might seem a little "Ghetto", but it does save alot of money that can be used to purchase new bows, stands, or other goodies!! I am very impressed with the feeders I have seen so far on this thread and would love to try some of them out as well.

Comment

i have another one that i use for hogs..
          get a pvc pipe with lids like mentioned above but also get like a dog tie out chain and put a eye bolt on one of the lids and drill holes on eachside to put in a bolt and tighten and then get a big eye blot to put in the ground and then a swivel and metal wire going to the big and small eye bolt and tighten ...make several holes just big ehough for the feed to come out and then put feed in and spin around in circles and the feed slowly comes out..should be less than 40 dollars..

Comment

Try an Outback feeder. They aren't cheap, but you wil NEVER have to buy another one in your life or your son's life if you have one. We bought one and loved it. We now have 24 or so. We fill them once a season and thre is no set up involved. Slide it up into a trailer and move it. All there is to it.

Comment

Working...
            X