School me on Packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on Packs

Basically I'm looking to be able to carry my Lock on Stand and climbing sticks in and out of hunts, as well as some minimal gear. What are you guys using? Also wouldn't mind being able to use this for next years elk hunt if possible. Kill two birds with 1 stone. I just don't know enough about packs to make a solid decision.

Originally posted by TxSpinner View Post
    Basically I'm looking to be able to carry my Lock on Stand and climbing sticks in and out of hunts, as well as some minimal gear. What are you guys using? Also wouldn't mind being able to use this for next years elk hunt if possible. Kill two birds with 1 stone. I just don't know enough about packs to make a solid decision.
    lol this post jumped me to an Eight Point

Comment

I tried a climbing tree stand with backpack straps and hated it. Felt like I was going to die in that thing.

Comment

I don't know about hauling your lock-on, but I have a new Cabelas w/water bladder in the classifieds for cheap. (Shameless plug)

Comment

If using just for deer, I was able to haul in and out a millennium m150, 20' worth of climbing sticks, and a small day pack with all day sit essentials. Strap everything to the stand and pack it in with the factory backpack straps that came with the stand. Hike was 1.5 miles from the truck.

Now in regards to hunting pack suggestions, I've tried the EXO moutain gear, stone glacier, and kuiu packs. I really like the EXO gear and how it sits on my hips for weight displacement of the 3 I've used.

I still need to try a kifaru before making a final purchase but I'll say, the best advice I got when shopping for a good hunting pack was to try them on and take them for a hike. Plenty of guys on here are willing to let you borrow theirs for a week to try out.

Comment

I have only ever owned Kifaru, I haven't tried others. But I would say that they offer a variety of packs that can fit the bill for whatever you want to do. Their large packs compress well to use in day mode. The frames are total adjustable to fit just about any type of body. Their customer service is better than any other company I have ever dealt with. The CEO gives out his personal cell phone number and can be reached pretty easily, he also tests all the gear spending tons of night in the Backcountry. It's not cheap and it's addictive as hell. If you have any specific questions about them let me know. Good luck in your search!

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
              If using just for deer, I was able to haul in and out a millennium m150, 20' worth of climbing sticks, and a small day pack with all day sit essentials. Strap everything to the stand and pack it in with the factory backpack straps that came with the stand. Hike was 1.5 miles from the truck.

Now in regards to hunting pack suggestions, I've tried the EXO moutain gear, stone glacier, and kuiu packs. I really like the EXO gear and how it sits on my hips for weight displacement of the 3 I've used.

I still need to try a kifaru before making a final purchase but I'll say, the best advice I got when shopping for a good hunting pack was to try them on and take them for a hike. Plenty of guys on here are willing to let you borrow theirs for a week to try out.
              Much appreciated. Going to see about borrowing a couple and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by matt21418 View Post
                I have only ever owned Kifaru, I haven't tried others. But I would say that they offer a variety of packs that can fit the bill for whatever you want to do. Their large packs compress well to use in day mode. The frames are total adjustable to fit just about any type of body. Their customer service is better than any other company I have ever dealt with. The CEO gives out his personal cell phone number and can be reached pretty easily, he also tests all the gear spending tons of night in the Backcountry. It's not cheap and it's addictive as hell. If you have any specific questions about them let me know. Good luck in your search!

Matt

Ive got some research to do on these. Thank you for the info.

Comment

Kifaru gear is awesome. I have a pack and a coat from them. The best by far (for me).

Comment

School me on Packs

Originally posted by TxSpinner View Post
                    Ive got some research to do on these. Thank you for the info.

Just for reference I do the exact same thing as you, I have been elk hunting the last three years, I currently run their new duplex lite frame and cavern bag for elk hunting, with a native for the lid. I run a 24" frame, I'm 5'11" and 185 lbs.

For deer hunting I run the 22 mag on the 22" tactical frame. I use the shorter frame as it easier to maneuver through long hanging branches and I don't need to lift since I'm not packing out deer most of the time. I also switch out the 22 mag to use an Apollo for weighted pack training and 3d shooting.

For my EDC I run the Antero.

I also run their shelters - I have the sawtooth and the super tarp and have previously owned the tut.

And I use their quilt, and have previously run their 20 deg slick bag.

Like I said if you have questions let me know.

Matt

Last edited by matt21418; 11-06-2018, 07:34 AM.

Comment

For what you are using it for you will virtually be unable to tell the difference in a properly fitted EXO, Kifaru, Stone glacier, or Mystery Ranch Frame. Heck you could even get away with a kuiu frame(I’m not a Carbon Fiber fan though).

My advice since it is a big investment it’s try as many on with weight (50lbs) as you can. Then go down the bag and accessories rabbit hole. The bag and accessories hole is usually the determining differentiator in my opinion.

If I could have idea pack it would be K2 frame with Kifaru belt(w/pals webbings), Stone glacier bag, with exo side pockets, and exo lid

I’ve carried a summit climbing stand for miles with Exo original and K2 frame.

Regardless what pack company you go with get a dedicated loadshelf sling that’s not intergrated in to bag. The teeth on your stand will eventually eat it up, better to replace $20 sling then $200 bag.

Comment

If you do end up liking the Mystery Ranch packs, they went on sale last Black Friday for about 40% off. That brought the price of my metcalf down to about half of a comparable kifaru or stone glacier pack.

Comment

I haven’t used a Kifaru, but they’re obviously the top of the line pack for hauling weight.

I’ve used Badlands, Eberlestock, Kuiu , and Mystery Ranch(NICE and Guidelite frame). I love MR. I think a MR with a Mule or Cabinet bag would be a great system for hauling stands and meat afterwards. I’ve got a Metcalf and a Pop Up 18 now and you could use either to carry that stuff in with some creativity. But if I move back east and tree stand hunt, I’ll get one of the other two bags I mentioned.

Comment

Lots of information to take in. I've been using a field day back for the past few years and its a great pack but doesn't do what I need it to. previously I used a some pack straps from an army surplus store to carry in my climber. I am not a fan of the climber at all. I legit want to take my lock on stand and sticks into a store and attempt to pack it on every pack they have until I find the right one. Doubt many stores would allow that though. You guys that carry your stands in every hunt, how are you doing it?

Comment

Working...
                            X