No announcement yet.

Is it Hunting or Harvesting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, killing and harvesting are both wrong.

Genesis 27:3

Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnylab View Post
      Harvest is a sissy term meant to appease the anti's. Ive never said it bc it doesn't sound right. I've KILLED tons of trophy whitetails, a few exotics, ducks, doves, etc. etc.
      I guess I am a big sissy.

Comment

What's the world coming to?!?!?!?!

Comment

I guarantee you, you aint harvesting them tenderloins until you kill that deer!

Comment

Hunting lexicon and jargon is an interesting conversation, with the right person.

It is very interesting to see how the words have changed over the years and for what reasons.

Jumping the string is a good phrase that we all know and use, but not that long ago it was simply called ducking or reacting. Yet, now we all use jumping the string; when in fact, the deer doesn't "jump" at all! We all know what we all mean and it has become part of the jargon.

Words like harvest instead of kill or take have taken root because of the broad awareness that social media has brought upon hunting. It's more socially respectable to say "harvest" instead of "kill" and we have moved from "take" to "harvest" in the last few years. Strictly speaking, they are all correct, but it's interesting to see why we the word enters our jargon; it speaks to the state of hunting, in general, in that we are becoming more socially aware of those that may not be part of our "group".

Even within a group there are social standards that are always in flux. Not that long ago being on a high fence ranch was a bit of a status symbol in that you had made the big time and would be afforded a higher than average opportunity at large deer. We have seen that diminish somewhat in recent years with the high fence/low fence debate. It doesn't make it right or wrong, just interesting. Other things include compound vs. trad vs. self bows and fixed blade vs. mechanical.

change is the only constant, and it's interesting to watch...

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
              Hunting lexicon and jargon is an interesting conversation, with the right person.

It is very interesting to see how the words have changed over the years and for what reasons.

Jumping the string is a good phrase that we all know and use, but not that long ago it was simply called ducking or reacting. Yet, now we all use jumping the string; when in fact, the deer doesn't "jump" at all! We all know what we all mean and it has become part of the jargon.

Words like harvest instead of kill or take have taken root because of the broad awareness that social media has brought upon hunting. It's more socially respectable to say "harvest" instead of "kill" and we have moved from "take" to "harvest" in the last few years. Strictly speaking, they are all correct, but it's interesting to see why we the word enters our jargon; it speaks to the state of hunting, in general, in that we are becoming more socially aware of those that may not be part of our "group".

Even within a group there are social standards that are always in flux. Not that long ago being on a high fence ranch was a bit of a status symbol in that you had made the big time and would be afforded a higher than average opportunity at large deer. We have seen that diminish somewhat in recent years with the high fence/low fence debate. It doesn't make it right or wrong, just interesting. Other things include compound vs. trad vs. self bows and fixed blade vs. mechanical.

change is the only constant, and it's interesting to watch...
              All correct. Except the HF part I bolded. IMO it's because there are a lot more HF ranches now. This is the old if you're the pedestrian then you curse the drivers for not slowing down enough...Then 10 minutes later you're the driver saying how those stupid pedestrians slow you down.

So of course those outside the HF say it's harvest for HF hunters. Until they get to hunt behind a HF LOL

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunt3 View Post
                Wow
                Just proof that deer actually can be harvested. Also proof that using "harvest" instead of kill isn't necessarily an attempt to sanitize killing.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                  All correct. Except the HF part I bolded. IMO it's because there are a lot more HF ranches now. This is the old if you're the pedestrian then you curse the drivers for not slowing down enough...Then 10 minutes later you're the driver saying how those stupid pedestrians slow you down.

So of course those outside the HF say it's harvest for HF hunters. Until they get to hunt behind a HF LOL
                  Your analogy may be correct, I'm not really sure what the reason is behind the more clearly defined line.

Being able to openly debate a topic will inherently cause the lines to be more defined; people who formerly had no opinion now are able to form an opinion due to the public debate, even if they are not part of the debate.

Again, your premise may be valid, I'm just trying to define the view, not necessarily the premise. But your premise makes as much sense as any other I have heard, human nature being what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Tracker View Post
                    You get a pass with that flannel shirt.

Comment

Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a ****

Comment

Doesn't matter to me. Maybe we should discuss Tank vs. Pond. Oh wait that's been done.

Comment

To each their own really. Do you really care if you hunt high fence and love it, that someone who hunts low fence thinks you don't hunt and instead shoot a tame pet? If you are legal, ethical, and enjoying what you do then keep on keeping on! Life is too short to worry about stupid **** like this!

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                            Its all hunting. Been on high fenced places a lot more challenging than low fence. My house is low fenced and I hand feed tortillas to deer all the time. Once in a while when its cold I walk outside and shoot one with a pistol for jerky. I guess since it is low fenced it is a "real" hunt.
                            Lol. You are my hero.

Comment

I went with my daughter on several TPWD youth hunts. great program by the way. anyway, on on morning hut, my daughter killed two big old mature does. When the huntmaster picked us up he asked how the hunt went.. i told him she killed two huge does. Immediately he corrected me. "You mean HARVESTED HARVESTED". "NOPE, she kille them.. Back the truck over here and we will HARVEST them"

Comment

I think it is just used to be polite in our PC world. I prefer the term fletched....as in "I fletched a big buck a couple weeks ago."

Comment

Working...
                                X