Carburetor Mechanic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carburetor Mechanic

Does anyone know a mechanic in the Arlington area that works/adjusts carburetor's? Car is running pretty good but still needs some adjusting. Thanks

More info needed I may be able to help you out . What year make model ?

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
      More info needed I may be able to help you out . What year make model ?
      !966 Barracuda 273 4 bbl. Original carb was replaced with an Eldelbrock.

Comment

Ok I have worked on many of them had one on a little 355 SBC , They are in fact a pretty simple little carb not a super Hp carb but for the basic builds they run very well easy to tune .

If I am right 1965 was the first year for that regular and commando options . Grew up in a mopar family .

You need basic tools vacuum gauge and a timing light . Timing many times is not right an well if one is off it will make the other off .

Set your hot idle first 850 is a good number if its not a nasty cam . then move on to mixture screws ( base line light seated then back out 2 turns ) hook up vacuum gauge move both evenly to obtain highest reading you can get .

Then you move on to tuning it . In my case I own a AFR device that can be installed into the ex system and you can drive the car to see if its rich or lean and use their chart to find the right spring rod jet combo .

if you just drive it well then you may have to make a change one way or the other .

now timing needs to be correct and working as it should be fore tuning on the carb can be done and once you adjust carb any timing changes you make you will need t re check AFR readings .

Is that clear as mud HA HA so what it is doing that you want to correct . i may be able to talk you through it

Comment

Ok I have worked on many of them had one on a little 355 SBC , They are in fact a pretty simple little carb not a super Hp carb but for the basic builds they run very well easy to tune .

If I am right 1965 was the first year for that regular and commando options . Grew up in a mopar family .

You need basic tools vacuum gauge and a timing light . Timing many times is not right an well if one is off it will make the other off .

Set your hot idle first 850 is a good number if its not a nasty cam . then move on to mixture screws ( base line light seated then back out 2 turns ) hook up vacuum gauge move both evenly to obtain highest reading you can get .

Then you move on to tuning it . In my case I own a AFR device that can be installed into the ex system and you can drive the car to see if its rich or lean and use their chart to find the right spring rod jet combo .

if you just drive it well then you may have to make a change one way or the other .

now timing needs to be correct and working as it should be fore tuning on the carb can be done and once you adjust carb any timing changes you make you will need t re check AFR readings .

Is that clear as mud HA HA so what it is doing that you want to correct . i may be able to talk you through it
          I'm having to keep it idled up to keep it running and it seems to be running really rich. I've never been a good carb guy so some of this is greek to me. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
            !966 Barracuda 273 4 bbl. Original carb was replaced with an Eldelbrock.
            That’s the problem, I can never seem to get them perfect. I’ve changed jets and springs over the years and get them pretty good but not perfect. They run too lean.

Comment

so this is idled up in gear ?? like at a stop light . Does the vehicle have a tach in it and is the motor stock or modded ? larger cams stock converter can create issues . what does it idle at RPM wise ? Not too big of an issue if you want to bring it by the shop no charge to help you make a few easy adjustments but there is tons of step by step out there . You issue sounds like idle mixture that is the two screws in the front of carb. Also make sure you have no vacuum leaks .

Also what Ign system is on the car

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
                That’s the problem, I can never seem to get them perfect. I’ve changed jets and springs over the years and get them pretty good but not perfect. They run too lean.

no such thing as too lean or too rich just improperly adjusted carbs that carb is super basic and not hard to set up .

Its made for the avg Joe to use .. Myself feel they have too many little parts HA HA and I feel that that holley 1850 vacuum secondary is a far better fit and easier to work with as you can buy what you need with that carb its more so a costly jet kit .

But then again I can make a Q jet run like stink I have been low 11 seconds on a junk yard Q jet that I used as i broke as the day was long . That truck would fool many people for sure .

They would see that old " junk " carb and think no way is this truck fast HA HA .

Comment

That is a custom unit with different base plate flowing 930 CFM as you see it , two guns as well .

10-03-2014 981 by GMR Performance, on Flickr

Comment

See if Mr Carburetor is still in business in Cedar Hill. They were around for a long time and had a location on Highway 67. I had to buy a hard to find carb part from them.

Last edited by Worksalot; 11-05-2018, 03:46 PM.

Comment

I can promise you this guy knows what he's talkin bout. Hi Steve

Comment

so this is idled up in gear ?? like at a stop light . Does the vehicle have a tach in it and is the motor stock or modded ? larger cams stock converter can create issues . what does it idle at RPM wise ? Not too big of an issue if you want to bring it by the shop no charge to help you make a few easy adjustments but there is tons of step by step out there . You issue sounds like idle mixture that is the two screws in the front of carb. Also make sure you have no vacuum leaks .

Also what Ign system is on the car
                        Everything on the car is stock except the carb that I'm aware of. I'm sure the engine has been worked on at some point in the past 52 years but I don't know when or what. I know one thing that is missing is the shoke so that makes it a little hard to start the first itme. I have a few other things to do to it and I may get your info and run by one day when your free.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                          I can promise you this guy knows what he's talkin bout. Hi Steve

Is that Steve ( rdmtrcyce) or something like that on HTT ?

Comment

Is that Steve ( rdmtrcyce) or something like that on HTT ?
                            Yep. Used to be Blkmtrckl

Comment

no such thing as too lean or too rich just improperly adjusted carbs that carb is super basic and not hard to set up .

Its made for the avg Joe to use .. Myself feel they have too many little parts HA HA and I feel that that holley 1850 vacuum secondary is a far better fit and easier to work with as you can buy what you need with that carb its more so a costly jet kit .

But then again I can make a Q jet run like stink I have been low 11 seconds on a junk yard Q jet that I used as i broke as the day was long . That truck would fool many people for sure .

They would see that old " junk " carb and think no way is this truck fast HA HA .
                              If you ever get to Tomball I would love for you to look at my Q-jet. It's been rebuilt but still runs out of fuel when I get on it. Pumps been replaced and removed the filter for testing and still has the same problem. Had it rebuilt and the guy says that's all he can do to get it tuned. Rebuild guys says the problem is it's a Carter q-jet. Don't mean to hijack the thread. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X