Tree ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tree ID

Anyone know what species of oak this is? It's in Lampasas county. We mostly have live oaks, but these are scattered around the property, and I am wondering if they might have a more desirable acorn than the live oaks.

My guess is a Spanish oak maybe?
    Attached Files

Red oak?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluetex View Post
      Red oak?
      Thats what i was thinking. Looks like a red oak

Comment

Red oak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Red oak

Comment

Thanks guys, so given that red oaks are generally less desirable to deer, it sounds like I am probably better off hunting stands of live oaks whenever the acorns are dropping heavily, or has anyone experienced anything differently with this species?

Comment

Red Oak/Spanish oak. Possibly a shumard oak but more likely the first suggestion. Quercus texanum or Quercus buckleyi

Comment

I would hunt the live oaks

Comment

Deer prefer the acorns from the white oak family, which includes Burr oaks, Water oaks, Chinkapin Oaks, Post oaks, Live oaks, and a few more.

LWD

Comment

Texas/Spanish/Red oak. Very susceptible to oak wilt. Hunt the live oaks if given a choice but you'll see deer under all of them.

Comment

Hunt live oak.... unless we get a wet cold fall. The red oak are less desirable but will “hold up” better to the elements. So if the live oak crop is compromised, I’d go straight to a red oak (last resort, but they do eat them)

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                        Hunt live oak.... unless we get a wet cold fall. The red oak are less desirable but will “hold up” better to the elements. So if the live oak crop is compromised, I’d go straight to a red oak (last resort, but they do eat them)
                        Good tip! I figure I will keep an eye out for which of these red oaks look like they will be producing a lot just in case we get a wet fall (seems unlikely by this current weather, but I have my fingers crossed for rain soon).

Comment

As stated by others, looks like a Texas oak to me.

Comment

Red Oak, there are so many variations of Red Oak with similar leaves it can be mind boggling. Everything from a Shumard to a Turkey Oak, that one looks like Pin Oak. Very good Fall food source. If it is a limited food source, meaning that there are just a few of those, I would hunt out of that tree. I have seen deer key on Red Oaks specifically. In my experience, when you find something that is limited in amount, but deer like it, hunt that limited thing whether its water, fruit tree, acorn tree, whatever it is, they will come.

Comment

Working...
                            X