Best way to cook shark filets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to cook shark filets?

We have 6 fresh shark filets from the gulf. I have never cooked or eaten shark before, but am a fish lover. Please send me some ideas on cooking these filets

I like a light seasoning on them and then some lemon juice, butter and Garlic. Then broil or grill.. Great Eatin..

Comment

Originally posted by Bowanta View Post
      I like a light seasoning on them and then some lemon juice, butter and Garlic. Then broil or grill.. Great Eatin..
      X2

We have used Italian Dressing as well.

Comment

Takes no time to cook..

Comment

I like to fry them, coat them in mustard first and add a fish fry mix and fry!!!

Comment

one for the grill, In cold water, rinse 1-inch thick shark steaks then pat the shark steaks dry. In a bowl, combine 1/3 c. lime juice, 1 t. lime zest, 1/4 t. minced ginger, 1 t. freshly ground pepper, 2 cloves garlic minced, 1/2 olive oil and 1 T. maple syrup or honey. Toss shark to coat in the mixture. Cover the shark meat with plastic wrap or in a sealed plastic storage bag. Let it marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature. Take shark out of the marinade (reserving it) and grill the shark steak on medium heat for five minutes on each side. Brush with reserved marinade during cooking.

Comment

tony chacheres the meat (make sure red and silver is trimmed) dip in egg and batter with just flour and a little tony's and fry. If done long in fryer the consistency will be firm and stringy...kinda, but not quite like shrimp.

Comment

Sharks urinate through their skin so the meat will have thousands of tiny vessels with urine still in them. The best way to prepare the meat before any of these recipies is to soak it in ice water for a couple of days, changing out the water when it turns pink. When the water stays clear, you can cook it just like any other fish. This is why some think shark is no good...strong and ammonia tasting. Soaking will remove all the strong tasting flavor and will result in pretty white meat.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy360 View Post
                  tony chacheres the meat (make sure red and silver is trimmed) dip in egg and batter with just flour and a little tony's and fry. If done long in fryer the consistency will be firm and stringy...kinda, but not quite like shrimp.

Hard to beat it this way.

Comment

Rub in some lemon pepper and baste in butter as your grillin em' Thats some good stuff right there.

Comment

Rub down with buter and blacking seasoning and put on the grill

Comment

I SWEAR this is the best way to cook shark.... Marinate them in Pace Medium Picante over night, remove exess, then grill! The acid in salsa breaks down the urea in the meat.... TRUST ME.... Look at my name.... I do tons of fishing and cooking!

Comment

Originally posted by Grafsonhunt View Post
                          Sharks urinate through their skin so the meat will have thousands of tiny vessels with urine still in them. The best way to prepare the meat before any of these recipies is to soak it in ice water for a couple of days, changing out the water when it turns pink. When the water stays clear, you can cook it just like any other fish. This is why some think shark is no good...strong and ammonia tasting. Soaking will remove all the strong tasting flavor and will result in pretty white meat.
                          I didn't know that!

Comment

try some butter, uncle chris seasoning. cook a a contact grill, like a foreman grill

Comment

Originally posted by Bowanta View Post
                              I've ate shark three times, and this was basically how we cooked it. It was good all three times.

Comment

Working...
                              X