No announcement yet.

Fort Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only thing that bothers me is the thieves. All the rest you can pretty much log out to training. I'm not about to complain about training. The thieves are something else and a relatively recent phenomenon (withiin the last couple years). Before that, I never had anything stolen. I'll still be paying for the Hood permit, but not sure I'll be using it much. Mostly because it's one way to support the troops that don't have anywhere else to hunt. I've got a couple other options in other states to get my deer hunting in.

Comment

Thievery is my biggest concern as well!! it is the reason I haven't been unguided in 3 years now. I refuse to spend the time and effort to scout out and put out all the effort when someone else can find and steal all my gear. there should be lock on chainable stands allowed on Ft Hood.

Comment

Originally posted by 1FowlHnTR View Post
        Thievery is my biggest concern as well!! it is the reason I haven't been unguided in 3 years now. I refuse to spend the time and effort to scout out and put out all the effort when someone else can find and steal all my gear. there should be lock on chainable stands allowed on Ft Hood.
        You can lock your lock on and ladder stands to the tree

Comment

I did that remember ?

Comment

Originally posted by hrdwrkncwby76 View Post
            I did that remember ?
            I remember your stuff was locked up very good.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Raz View Post
              Well got my first hood hog this morning. Just went to check camera around 9:30 and as soon as I got to it and turned on my laptop I looked up and hogs were coming in to the feeder so I ran to the truck and got some lead and eased back in. Quite a rush when you aren't expecting in it. Haven't seen them on camerea during the day before but one huge sow had about 10 piglets so that could be a reason?
              Congrats

Comment

Congrats J-Raz!!

Comment

Anyone ever try over in the mid 40s area for hogs? Ponds, cover, and plenty of travel corridors it looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracker0721 View Post
                    Anyone ever try over in the mid 40s area for hogs? Ponds, cover, and plenty of travel corridors it looks like.
                    I used to hunt the 40's quite a bit and never saw hogs on that side of Ft Hood. not to say that they aren't there now....it's worth looking into though!!

Comment

There's allegedly tons of hogs in Pidcoke so I bet theres hogs over there... Been thinking of trying them myself since North is locked up during the week

Comment

Originally posted by FtHoodBowHunter View Post
                        Maybe it seems like they "fill" their tags every year, but if they do, it is because they put in the leg work of scouting, and setting their sets up. They don't get any special treatment. Plus they give their time for guided hunts, and maintaining stands. They guys I know at SC are good stand up guys.

I have been set up on deer, and could of filled my tags as well, but the deer just didn't come in when I was there.

Now I do think the area being closed sucks, but guess what, that's part of hunting on a military post. Better than not being able to hunt at all.
                        Im not implying that they arent stand up guys, just seems they have an advantage working there, thats all.

Comment

Originally posted by GAMEGETTER2117 View Post
                          Im not implying that they arent stand up guys, just seems they have an advantage working there, thats all.
                          I wish I had an advantage

Comment

Of course they have an advantage working at the sportsmen center. I will say that it has nothing to do with special treatment though. It has to do with the fact that they are in the know. The here about every imaginable hunting story I'm sure. I don't fault them. If you don't like it put in your time scouting and talking to other hunters. I've been on deer and hogs and turkeys there this past year. Now finding one I want to shoot or finding one that isn't skidish from being hunted or called to by every one and their brother is another story.

Comment

Originally posted by fthoodhoghunter View Post
                              I wish I had an advantage
                              Matt you do have an advantage.....YOU spend TOO MUCH time in the woods, and not enough time helping out us other guys!! just joking man...I know for a FACT you have thrown a guy or two a bone!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1FowlHnTR View Post
                                Matt you do have an advantage.....YOU spend TOO MUCH time in the woods, and not enough time helping out us other guys!! just joking man...I know for a FACT you have thrown a guy or two a bone!!
                                Yes sir

Comment

Working...
                                X