Flash recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash recommendations

I've owned a nice Olympus FL-50 flash for several years and never used any of the fancy settings, ttl or any of that. Having said that, I'm in need of a flash with decent reach and reliability. I've got a Metz I'm looking at but wondered what brands folks may be using. Shooting Canon for those that don't know.

I have found a new Canon 430EX II Speedlite E-TTL II for just over $200. Though this one has the fancy stuff I think the price is right probably.

Thanks for any help.

trying to make me spend more money aren't you Bill?

Comment

I have that flash. I use it with the yongnuo YN-622c Flash trigger to get it off camera. Also have a large rouge flashbender w/difuser panel. It's a pretty sweet set up.

Comment

If only...

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
          trying to make me spend more money aren't you Bill?
          Sure, you know you want to.

Thanks for the input.

Anyone else?

Comment

I own a Canon ex II. It is a great flash but has some limitations if you try to do certain things. It does not have a slave option. It does not have radio control for the flash or other flashes. It does not have a port for a battery pack if needed.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations.

Anymore thoughts on this? I sure would like to hear more. I try not to use flash as much as possible but sometimes it's necessary. I like getting it off camera slightly normally using a cord.

Comment

Bill look at the Yongnuos for your Canon. I have one and it works great for much less than you spend on the Canons. They get good reviews as well.

Got it on amazon.

Comment

Thanks Casey, I have seen those and will take a closer look.

Comment

Do the Yongnuos transmit ETTL information? I was under the impression they had to be adjusted manually.

I use two flashes, a canon 580EXII and 430EXII. Both can be found used for much cheaper than initial cost. I regularly see 430EXIIs go on craigslist for under $200. I think I got mine for $180.

Comment

I've found the 430 EXII for about $207 brand new. Thing is I've never used the settings at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
                        I've found the 430 EXII for about $207 brand new. Thing is I've never used the settings at all.
                        Looks like they're getting even cheaper now!

The only downside to the 430EXII is that it can only be set as slave. You'd have to get a 580EXII to work as a master if you're going to do multiple flashes that are triggered off their built in infra-red sensor.

I use mine off camera, though I just have cheap ~$30 cowboy studio triggers off of Amazon. They don't transmit ETTL info and I have to set them manually. And they fail sometimes, so I keep backups. I just haven't bit the bullet on the expensive pocketwizards.

Comment

Are you saying the 430 can only be used as a slave and not on the camera hot shoe? I won't use it in tandem with other flashes. My studio days are over.

Comment

Originally posted by Robby Brown View Post
                            I have that flash. I use it with the yongnuo YN-622c Flash trigger to get it off camera. Also have a large rouge flashbender w/difuser panel. It's a pretty sweet set up.
                            Originally posted by Casey View Post
                            Bill look at the Yongnuos for your Canon. I have one and it works great for much less than you spend on the Canons. They get good reviews as well.

Got it on amazon.
                            +1 to both^

I have some 622cs and they are awesome. I have a couple YN568EX flashes as well, and I've been very pleased with them. Less than half the cost of similar Canon flashes, and have been great flashes. I'm not a flash expert, and I don't use them every day or anything. But for my use they have been great.

Lots of great Canon info here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

The flash forum has lots of info on the Yongnuos.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
                              Are you saying the 430 can only be used as a slave and not on the camera hot shoe? I won't use it in tandem with other flashes. My studio days are over.
                              It's useable just fine on the hot shoe. I do field studio photos, so I've got two set up on tripods that I carry in my backpack. I was just mentioning the slave "feature" in case you ever decide you want to pair another flash with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X