A 58 acre slice of our own...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A 58 acre slice of our own...

A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I made the plunge and became landowners in Henderson County. I am no stranger to this land - its 58.193 acres that sits adjacent to my parents' ± 70 acres.

I was blessed to be raised on these properties; running through the woods, building forts, fishing on the ponds, working cows and baling hay since I was a kid out here. When I was 18 I thought I had enough of the hard work and blood, sweat and cow mess. After being gone a year or two I realized how much I already missed being here.

After a stint in Tyler and a few years in Houston, we decided that my home town was the best place to raise our boys and set down roots and get out of the craziness of the big city. We were blessed for my wife to get a great job offer here and I took the plunge in starting my own small business and both have worked out much better than we could have ever planned. This purchase was made possible by my wife's hard work and sacrifice to get through 9 years of school, and I will always be grateful to her.

A little history on the land: this property was purchased by my great grandfather around 1933. Obviously not as long as some Texans and some of our TBH members have had land in their families, but I am proud to be the 4th generation to work on this place and look forward to slaving my boys as the 5th generation in a few years The portion we purchased was a part an uncle and aunt had received in the will when my grandmother died. They were in no hurry to sell, but fortunately we came to an agreement on an offer after going back and forth a few times at holidays and family get-togethers.

Here is a Google Earth shot of what we purchased as it looks today, along with what it looked like in 1995 (when I was around 7 years old) and in 1947ish, when my granddad would have been about 15 years old. Ours is in red and my parent's is in green. Images may be a little grainy as I downsized them a little to get them to load.
    Attached Files

Awesome!!! Congrats!

Comment

So, what's the point in the D-I-Y thread? A few reasons I guess. There are tons of threads on TBH that I have enjoyed watching over the years and I've learned a lot from. Chew, Stan R, unclefish, Sneaky are a few on land that I've enjoyed following over the years (there are countless more I could list, these are just a few on the top of my head). I want to be elgato when I grow up (lol), even though this property has no shot at being anything like that in regards to hunting. I've enjoyed watching the live home build threads as well, from solocamaggie and duckhunter2007's barndos to Oscar's beautiful home in Houston.

All have given me ideas to think about and inspire for the future. So I figured I'd let everyone follow along in my adventures, and maybe inspire others as these guys did for me or maybe scare them away from doing what I'm doing (what have I got myself into )

Comment

So, first off... I guess my goals for the property are to get it whipped back into working shape. Its gotten a little on the rough and wild side. Growing up, we baled hay off of this part primarily. My dad occasionally ran cattle over here, but the creek is a deep cut channel and after fighting cows and calves over the years he hasn't ran them for almost 10 years on our part north of the creek. I'd really like to keep the cows off of us and bale it several times a year to avoid our small cattle operation from having to buy it anymore.

Our cattle operation is more of a hobby at this point that gives a little bonus income to offset the costs of having land and of course to keep it in ag for taxes. My dad used to run anywhere from 30-50 head when I was a kid, but he has more like 10-15 now. I guess in time I'd like to build up the herd again and maybe make a little more living off of them.

We are planning on eventually building a home out here. I'd love to sell our house in town and build a barndominium right now, but my wife would rather save as much as possible to build a home in ±7 years.

In regards to hunting, I see that as just a little bit of a bonus on this property. Growing up we mainly quail hunted. I didnt deer hunt until junior high and didn't start bowhunting until 2 years ago (this will be my 3rd season). We occasionally would see deer growing up, but the numbers have jumped in the last few years (or my game camera has just showed me what I didnt know)

Comment

With bow season just around the corner, I wanted to post a few pictures of what we have going and what I have planned in time.

Our family has ±40 acres east of this property that is surrounded by a larger ranch and some land that is a church camp that is not hunted at all, so that has always been my primary hunting property along with my in-laws property in Rains county.

In 2013 while still living in Houston, I walked along the creek and found a few rubs around. I picked up an extra game camera and just set it out on the creek on our property just to see what was around.

This guy was hanging around pretty consistently, along with a few spikes and does. Nothing crazy and I had better deer on our other property, so I just continued to occasionally hand corn until I was able to put up a feeder.
          Attached Files

Comment

Congrats on the property! I have a barndo or similar build in my ten year plan back home in MS. Can't wait to follow along on this journey with ya!

Comment

So the Red and Green is your? Congrats BTW!!!

Comment

That is great--and being family land makes it even better!

Comment

In 2014, I had the feeder up and running during the later part of the summer and throughout the season. I had the same little pack of does that seemed to hang around our place and likely the place west of us that is a jungle and is owned by non-hunters. I had to rearrange cameras and put a little junker wildgame innovations camera over here, which crapped out on me and this was really the only pictures I had of bucks during the season:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Awesome and congrats!

Comment

In 2015, we moved back from Houston and I said I was going to get serious about hunting and pursuing deer here rather than at the other property. Starting my company up took way more time than I anticipated though

Once again, I ran corn through my feeder and hand corned some other spots. I was surprised to see some pretty nice bucks (for us) start showing up.
                      Attached Files

Comment

If you notice the time stamps from 2015, EVERY ONE of these pictures are from the 27th and 28th. The chocolate horned buck with the extra junk at his base would have been a great buck to my standards.

These guys were all around those two days though and moved out. I had a ground blind about 20-25 yards from the feeder brushed in very well. Opening morning I got busted by a doe around 9:30 am getting out of the blind, but I really don't think the bucks were even around the property at that point - I just have a feeling they were passing through. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Regardless, I knew a basic goal I wanted to set: keep the does I have in there happy, healthy and comfortable. I planted 1/4 of an acre of an elbon, oats and clover mix at this location and at 2 other locations. I didnt have an exclusion cage at any of them but it appeared they were hammering it pretty hard vs. the plots I had planted at my family's 40 acres.

I played the wind, drowned myself in scent cover but never saw any bucks during bow season. With the business kicking off and being swamped, I tried to dedicate hunting to Thursday evenings, Saturday morning and evening and Sunday evening. Would occasionally see does, lots of coons and the occasional fox and coyote. All were getting a pass in case that chocolate horned buck came back, but no such luck.

Comment

Congratulations on your 58.193 acre (only a surveyor would carry it to 3 decimals... ) slice o' heaven!
                          Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

During rifle season, I had a decent 8 that I took a crack at with my rifle at about 220 yards one evening very late in the season. I pushed the shot a little, gave him time and found a few drops of blood. We searched hard for him the next week but had no luck finding him. I did have an 8 show up after the season on camera I am 95% sure was him. I don't have the game camera picture on this computer for some reason though.

This season, I have a few bucks and a few other critters that have showed up that need to be exterminated...the dang hogs.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Ok, back to the D-I-Y...

First plans are to keep it simple and cheap for the time being. Our youngest had a rough start with viral meningitis at 4 days old and a few days at children's in Dallas. We need to knock out those medical bills along with the ones at his delivery before we splurge and make too many jumps financially.

I'd like to get a culvert set on the FM, really doesn't need one I guess, but as wet as it was the last two years I don't think it would hurt. Next is just to get my food plots in the ground (I know I'm running out of time). The only other plan is to find time to enjoy it, lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X