Biathlon rifles...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biathlon rifles...

Watching the biathlon events at the Olympics I became intrigued by the rifles they use so I read-up on them a bit. Incredibly specialized for that specific purpose:

So I'm eating lunch at the bar and watching the Olympics when these two Startup Bros walk in. Though the bar's empty they sit down right next to me (of course) and start running their yaps, going off on speed-skating: "God, that looks like it doesn't take any effort at

Last edited by jerp; 02-12-2018, 02:24 PM.

Hmm.. pretty interesting!

Comment

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I didn't see where they talked about the optics. Does anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
        Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I didn't see where they talked about the optics. Does anyone know?
        I wondered about that too - it's a diopter sight - similar to a peep
        Answer (1 of 4): Biathlon rifles are fired using diopter iron sights. They are using a micrometer adjustable diopter sight in the rear with a shrouded front sight. Usually with a custom front sight insert to allow the shooter to use a sight picture that works best for them. The rear sight can ...
        Last edited by jerp; 02-12-2018, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Very cool, I enjoyed watching them this weekend! Has to be so hard to control your breathing to make those shots.

Comment

last link in OP, it is a rear peep with front cross and "snow covers"

the fox vid was the best as far as detail

Comment

Optics? These are biathletes, not men's figure skaters . They don't need no stinkin' optics :-)

Comment

Expensive squirrel killers!!!
                I didn't see a price but I bet they aren't cheap

Comment

Originally posted by Chad74 View Post
                  I just saw a dill on Facebook from either USA shooting or NBC Olympics and they said 1000 for the stock and 3000 for the action. IDK if the action included the barrel in that price but I would bet it didn't include the sights. I bet that they are close to 6000 turn key

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                    I just saw a dill on Facebook from either USA shooting or NBC Olympics and they said 1000 for the stock and 3000 for the action. IDK if the action included the barrel in that price but I would bet it didn't include the sights. I bet that they are close to 6000 turn key
                    You can get one for $3590

Comment

Cool. I guess they were adding a custom stock to something like that. I may be nuts but 3590 seems pretty reasonable

Comment

Originally posted by Chad74 View Post
                        Actions alone are around 2k from what I saw in a video earlier today and stocks can be equal to or more.

Comment

I feel I could take the gold with my Rem 572 fieldmaster! Just gotta get better at skiing and breathing on top of a mountain!

Comment

Originally posted by rosco11 View Post
                            I feel I could take the gold with my Rem 572 fieldmaster! Just gotta get better at skiing and breathing on top of a mountain!
                            LOL, yep....

Comment

Working...
                            X