My First Traditional Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Traditional Hunt

Okay guys, a while back I posted in here that I was new to the traditional scene. Last weekend, I had the pleasure of making my first traditional hunt of any kind. Me and my brother were kicking around the barn while dad was working on something and the little brother was out hunting youth weekend, so we decided to go walk the creek bed. My brother took his 6mm in case we came across some hogs or axis, and I took a little AMF Nighthawk 25# Recurve that I had been shooting in the back yard while I was getting a new string made for my longbow.
    Me and my brother started down the hill and as we reached the bottom I heard something move off to my right. I look over and there is an armadillo about 30 yards off through some brush. I slowly sneak around and up till I have a clear shot at about 6-7 yards. I drew back, and not knowing how strong an armadillo's shell was and how sharp my field points were, decided to aim for the armadillo's head. My first shot felt smooth, and the arrow lept from the string and buried itself in the dirt two inches to the right of the armadillo's head. He didn't even flinch, so I reached into the top of my snake boot and drew out another arrow. This time, my arrow stuck in an inch to the left of his head, and he took off! We spent the rest of the afternoon walking around, and saw a few more dillo's but they were to far for me to shoot at. Even though I missed my shots I had a blast and I can see why Traditional hunting is so fun and understand why it can be so much more rewarding.
    Thanks for reading,
    ~Jake (Seacoal)

Thanks for sharing. Your hooked now!

Comment

Keep after them and it will happen! You think the dillo was exciting, wait till you walk up to your first deer or pig with the stick!

Bisch

Comment

Congrats on a first animal

Comment

Armadillo was my first harvest with trad bow! Keep at it!

Comment

Cool story, stay with it.

Comment

That's awesome!

Comment

A great time for sure. Keep after 'em.

Comment

Working...
                X