Brown top millet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brown top millet

I have about 15 acres of brow top millet that I planted around June 1st. It is headed out and turning yellow. I have gone on line to see the best way to prep the field for dove. I am thinking about cutting and burning. Just want to see what the green screen says. Thanks

Just cut rows and leave rest standing. Shouldn't really take much to prep.

Comment

I planted it on July 1st so I'm cutting it close. Mine is about 18" - 24" tall. How much time do you think I have left. I have 6 acres and this is my first time, so I'm in for the responses. I plan just to cut stripes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5622.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	24507125

I plan on taking this same plot and turning it to oats in late September but deer seem to be in it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5623.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	24507126

Comment

Mine is a little further along. You got a great stand. In my research it said that it was a good summer plot for deer.

Comment

I would just cut sections starting about 2 weeks before season. Cut a new section every week or two.

Comment

My millet is starting to get a head on it. How long is it going to be before it's ready to shred?

I'm afraid it's not going to be ready for the 1st

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

You typically want it cut by now. Gives the dove time to find it.

Comment

Takes about 90 days for brown top to mature. Cut strips with hay mower and let sit for 2-3 days. Then shred that part

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                  Takes about 90 days for brown top to mature. Cut strips with hay mower and let sit for 2-3 days. Then shred that part

Dang. I read it was 45-60 days which is why I planted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The years I planted were 90-110.... but they really were the better fields to hunt. The birds preferred them over anything else

Comment

So what does the millet look like when it's ready to cut?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Heath... that 8 will be a stud in a few years.

Comment

The seeds will strip easily. If you cut it with hay mower it will dry out and they will scatter when you shred them. If you shred them green you won't get a lot of seed. The dove will have to dig through the thick mulch from the tall millet

Comment

How can you hunt over the millet if you cut or shred it? Wouldn't that be manipulation? Which is not legal to hunt over for migratory birds.

Comment

Originally posted by hunter1313 View Post
                              How can you hunt over the millet if you cut or shred it? Wouldn't that be manipulation? Which is not legal to hunt over for migratory birds.

Different rules for dove vs waterfowl / crane.

“You should be aware that although you can hunt doves over manipulated agricultural crops, you cannot hunt waterfowl over manipulated agricultural crops except after the field has been subject to a normal harvest and removal of grain (i.e., post-harvest manipulation).

http://www.fws.gov/le/what-is-legal.html.

Comment

Working...
                              X