No announcement yet.

Food Plot - Gonna give it a try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am definitely going to monitor it after it freezes. As of now its cut to 8-12 inches and all the leaves are cut off from mowing. Once it comes back if we ever get a freeze I will hope they come to crush it.

Its a dang buffet of green haha

Comment

Here's mine, 1 acre and deers are not touching it as well. Knee high is some areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This info is great, I am way behind on my plots this year...Just planted 2 weeks ago...all ready have some coming up. I'm new at this and will learn from others...so please keep up the info....I really need it. My place is in Normangee

Comment

4 yrs ago I planted some turnips and they grew up really nice. the deer really never cared for them much. On occasion I would find a turnip dug up with a bite out of it, just one bite. they never seamed to eat the forage ( leaves ). but we cooked up some of the greens and the turnips for ourselves, not bad eating but never planted it again. Too many other crops that the deer will eat. I no longer do the winter peas ether. the deer at my place never cared for them much and cost for the seed did not justify the few benefits. Now it is pretty much winter wheat, elbon rye, winter oats along with trying others now and then, like kale or rape. And my clovers are always reseeded each fall. Hope this helps out a little for your future plans. Also look into frost seeding clovers, it works pretty good for starting new clover spots.

Comment

Great info thanks

Comment

Originally posted by whodat View Post

Here's mine, 1 acre and deers are not touching it as well. Knee high is some areas

That turnips?

Comment

Turnips mix with brassicas

Comment

So what are you going to plant this year Nailhead. I'm on ther other side of Palestine and going to do a 1 acre plot for the first time. Thanks for all of your insight to your plots, I have enjoyed reading this thread

Comment

Hey sorry for taking so long to respond. Things have been busy and money is a little tight this year so I didnt plant anything for the fall. I let the rye and oats go to seed and fall through the summer. Cut it after we knew the fawns wouldnt be bedded in it. Deer have been back out grazing in the plots so Im sure its coming in again. Hope to get something planted for the spring this next year finally. I havent been able to get the kale in chicory to do very well so I think I will stick to rye and oats. Need to find a clover that does well on sand. Most of the pasture drains too well for the clover to grow decently throughout the plots. Darn east Texas sand. Lol.

Comment

Last edited by unclefish; 10-18-2017, 10:48 AM.

Comment

planted 4 acres in 4 plots of Wheat, Bob Oats, and Austian Winter peas with a bag of Monster Mix per plot

Comment

Working...
                        X