Premium rings & bases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Premium rings & bases?

I have decided to rebuild my .300 WSM A-bolt. Part of the project will be switching from a Leupold to Zeiss scope. Is there benefit to Warne or Talley bases versus the Leupold base/rings? Since both are 1" scopes I wouldn't necessarily need to change the rings/bases but wanted some feedback if it was worth it since I will be changing the stock anyway.

I don't have enough experience to say one is better then the other but I will say the Talley's are lighter and being one piece have less chance of movement and don't really need to be lapped.

A word of caution, if you do lap Talley one piece rings and bases, only lap the bottom portion. It should only take a minor amount of lapping if any. If you were to lap the top cap you could quickly lose the clamping force of the ring.

I will say this, rings and bases are likely the most commonly overlooked component of accuracy and repeatability.

I'm running Talley's and Seekins Tactical myself.

Comment

Interested to hear more responses on this as well

Comment

Depends on what Leupold bases and rings you are using.

The standard rings stand a chance of shifting around. If they are dual dovetail rings and bases they are about as solid as it gets.

Most of my hunting guns wear Talley 1 piece bases and rings. All of my precision rifles wear picatinny bases and Seekins rings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Getting the leupold rings perfectly straight is the tricky part. The talley rings are better due to the integrated one piece base. I try and put pic rails on all mine now so I can stick with one type and size of ring. Can easily swap scopes back and forth and there is a better variety of high quality rings.

Comment

Leupold dovetails

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              Most of my hunting guns wear Talley 1 piece bases and rings. All of my precision rifles wear picatinny bases and Seekins rings.
              This is how I run all my bolt guns as well and it has served me well.
              Just be sure to use a fat wrench and torque everything to spec.

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

I prefer a 1 piece mount but they didn't have one for a decent price in 34mm so I went with a Talley Tactical 20MOA base and Talley Tactical rings. Both seem to be high quality pieces that needed zero lapping.

Comment

Working...
                  X