Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #1
tradtiger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger
Default Juco Baseball

Like to hear what your kids are doing in Juco baseball and softball this year. Brag away, post videos, give tips on advancing to the next level, team success, etc.

Here's mine. He's doing pretty well as a reliever at Navarro College this year with an ERA of .818 and a WHIP of .636, allowing just 3 hits and one earned run in 11 innings while striking out 8.

https://youtu.be/g-GRYBG9csc

Last edited by tradtiger; 03-19-2017 at 09:59 AM..
tradtiger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #2
mm5455
Eight Point

Hunt In: George West Texas,Liberty County

Awesome Stuff !!!!! Good Luck this season����
mm5455 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2017, 10:28 AM   #3
tradtiger
Ten Point

Sorry for the link. Maybe someone or a moderator can help with embedding the video.
Thanks.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #4
GTRH8R
Ten Point

Hunt In: N TX

I got a D3 softball player...is he a sidearmer?
GTRH8R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2017, 11:59 AM   #5
tradtiger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRH8R View Post
I got a D3 softball player...is he a sidearmer?
Congrats to you and your daughter. Actually, he's a little lower than straight sidearm -- submarine.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:00 PM   #6
GTRH8R
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradtiger View Post
Congrats to you and your daughter. Actually, he's a little lower than straight sidearm -- submarine.

I love submarine pitchers...you just don't see it anymore.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:01 PM   #7
tradtiger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm5455 View Post
Awesome Stuff !!!!! Good Luck this season����
Thanks, MM. Team currently leading conference.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:00 AM   #8
tradtiger
Ten Point

Pretty sure there are more JUCO parents of baseball or softball players out there who would like to post pictures, videos, updates on their players. Maybe even widen the net to provide a spot for high school player parents looking to play college ball to feature their player. I can say for a fact that exposure on TBH helped my son receive a call from the school where he now plays in JUCO. Many coaches, former coaches, scouts, former pro players on here who may know someone to make a call to. Anyone hoping to go the "next level" is welcome to post.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:20 AM   #9
Catcher20
Eight Point

Hunt In: Carta Valley/Comfort

I caught two years at Blinn and another two at UTSA, and then coached a year while finishing up my degree.

Tell him to stick it out and keep working. JUCO ball is at times more demanding than playing for an established division 1 program.
Catcher20 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #10
jshouse
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas

In
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 01:18 PM   #11
Bloodtracker
Four Point

Hunt In: HILL COUNTRY,SOUTH TEXAS

My son is a freshman catcher at Temple Junior College. He's worked his way in the lineup a few times. Juco ball is very competitive, and fun to watch. There are some great players in Texas juco ball. If your son has aspirations of playing college ball, go watch a D1 juco game together, and keep an open mind. It's definitely not what most people think it is, (in a good way).
Bloodtracker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 01:32 PM   #12
mikebyrge
Eight Point

Hunt In: NW Louisiana

Its been years (30+) since I played college baseball but I remember the JUCO teams we played in the fall and early spring had guys with enormous raw-talent. The Blinn, Texarkana, Ranger, Navarro, Paris and Panola JUCO teams we played had better talent than we did (Northwestern Louisiana).
mikebyrge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 01:35 PM   #13
dhillis
Ten Point

Hunt In: Aransas Pass, San Marcos

Quote:
Sorry for the link. Maybe someone or a moderator can help with embedding the video.
Thanks.
Go to edit and just delete the S in https:
dhillis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 04:09 PM   #14
tradtiger
Ten Point

Thanks. Will try later.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 05:09 PM   #15
Bubba
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton County

Mine played at Ranger last year. He blew his arm trying out for Texas State. He’s now home after Tommy John surgery. This made his 3rd surgery (broken wrist &Torn shoulder). Kids had more injuries playing baseball then he ever did in football. This made his 3rd surgery. I'd love to see him back playing but i can see his interest changing.
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #16
GTRH8R
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Mine played at Ranger last year. He blew his arm trying out for Texas State. Hes now home after Tommy John surgery. This made his 3rd surgery (broken wrist &Torn shoulder). Kids had more injuries playing baseball then he ever did in football. This made his 3rd surgery. I'd love to see him back playing but i can see his interest changing.

My daughter had a friend that had the same kind of issues. She tore her labrum and came back for her senior year of high school. Gets an offer to play at Boston University (smart kid too) goes up and rips up her bicep needing surgery to fix. She retired. She wouldn't be functional until her junior year and would be playing to her abilities until her senior year. That's a hard road to come back from when your program is getting stocked with D1 talent every year.

She is a talented kid, it just wasn't meant to be. I hate to see a playing career end because of injuries...
Old 03-20-2017, 10:25 PM   #17
tradtiger
Ten Point

Good thing baseball's not a "contact" sport, huh?

Last edited by tradtiger; 03-20-2017 at 10:30 PM..
Old 03-20-2017, 11:02 PM   #18
tradtiger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodtracker View Post
My son is a freshman catcher at Temple Junior College. He's worked his way in the lineup a few times. Juco ball is very competitive, and fun to watch. There are some great players in Texas juco ball. If your son has aspirations of playing college ball, go watch a D1 juco game together, and keep an open mind. It's definitely not what most people think it is, (in a good way).
Temple is good. We just played y'all a week ago. In fact, the last clip on Eric's highlight video was a Temple kid. In that particular game, we were comfortably ahead when Eric threw a 7-pitch, no-hit inning. But right afterward your guys rallied big-time (against a different pitcher), and we finally ended up holding you off 8-7.

As far as D1 JUCO, I really didn't know much about it until talking with our coaches at Hill Country. Thing about it is that, the quality of competition is right up there; the main difference is you're playing instead of waiting for your turn at a four year school.

Last edited by tradtiger; 03-20-2017 at 11:05 PM..
Old 03-20-2017, 11:06 PM   #19
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.

Tell Coach Pudge that Big Dave from up at Paris said hello next game. I coached football at Navarro for 8 years.
Good luck with conference coming up!
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 11:10 PM   #20
tradtiger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdj View Post
Tell Coach Pudge that Big Dave from up at Paris said hello next game. I coached football at Navarro for 8 years.
Good luck with conference coming up!
Will do, Coach! Thanks.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:19 PM   #21
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Quote:
Will do, Coach! Thanks.
I hunt with Skip Johnson who was the head beisbol coach there for a long time and Chris Davis that plays for Baltimore and played for Skip at Navarro. Skip said that Chris hit a ball on top of the mall there in right field at Corsicana. I always claimed BS on that one Take a look out there and see what you think about that legend next time your there.
Chris has hit a few big flies in his time though!
Old 03-21-2017, 12:03 AM   #22
tradtiger
Ten Point

Just texted Eric, who said "yep, I've heard that story" on Chris Davis. That would be a pretty good poke, for sure. Gotta be at least 50 yards from the right field fence to the Atwoods store. Shortest part of fence is about 325, so guesstimate of 475 feet. Not out of the realm of possibility.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:30 AM   #23
tradtiger
Ten Point

Quote:
I hunt with Skip Johnson who was the head beisbol coach there for a long time and Chris Davis that plays for Baltimore and played for Skip at Navarro. Skip said that Chris hit a ball on top of the mall there in right field at Corsicana. I always claimed BS on that one Take a look out there and see what you think about that legend next time your there.
The boy wouldn't go step it off, but agreed fence is about 50 yards from store, and fence is actually 330 in right field. Noted that the ball probably went "like 500 feet" because it hit in the middle of the roof. Said it "absolutely" happened.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:22 AM   #24
bk913
Six Point

Hunt In: Cooke county/Tom Green county

Quote:
The boy wouldn't go step it off, but agreed fence is about 50 yards from store, and fence is actually 330 in right field. Noted that the ball probably went "like 500 feet" because it hit in the middle of the roof. Said it "absolutely" happened.
When Chris Davis was in college they were still using those BESR bats that the ball jumps off of. While it's a monster shot, I could be convinced that he hit one 500 ft if they can hit em 480-490 with woodies.
bk913 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #25
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Congrats to your son!

Is that Chris Davis y'all are talking about originally from Longview?
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2017, 09:24 AM   #26
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
Congrats to your son!

Is that Chris Davis y'all are talking about originally from Longview?
yes
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2017, 09:25 AM   #27
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Quote:
Take your range finder next trip and zap it. I'll tell them both it was only 499 no matter what it is
Old 03-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #28
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
yes
Can't remember if you were there then? I'm old and can't remember anything.

Last edited by Abcdj; 03-21-2017 at 09:33 AM..
Old 03-21-2017, 09:58 AM   #29
tradtiger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk913 View Post
When Chris Davis was in college they were still using those BESR bats that the ball jumps off of. While it's a monster shot, I could be convinced that he hit one 500 ft if they can hit em 480-490 with woodies.
That occurred to me this morning, as well. The trampoline effect off of the old aluminum bats could easily be worth 30 or 40 feet extra, compared to wood or a BBCOR bat. And Davis can hit close to 500 with a wood bat, anyway. Add in a possible north breeze early in the season: very plausible.

As far as rangefinding, note I'm TRADtiger -- don't own a rangefinder, have to step it next chance I get.

And thanks, Burnadell!
Old 03-21-2017, 11:09 AM   #30
tradtiger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebyrge View Post
Its been years (30+) since I played college baseball but I remember the JUCO teams we played in the fall and early spring had guys with enormous raw-talent. The Blinn, Texarkana, Ranger, Navarro, Paris and Panola JUCO teams we played had better talent than we did (Northwestern Louisiana).
Yeah, I've been impressed with the talent, as well. Probably shouldn't be a surprise, when you consider that former JUCO players include: Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte, Albert Pujols, Bryce Harper, Curt Schilling, John Lackey, Chris Davis, Jake Arrieta and tons more.

Recently, I was looking around for info on the internet about getting from JUCO to D1, and came across an article, where it said 4 players on the New Mexico JC team signed D1 commit letters this past fall; well, might be a couple of those guys on the highlight video above in the night game footage at UH's stadium.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:10 AM   #31
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcher20 View Post
I caught two years at Blinn and another two at UTSA, and then coached a year while finishing up my degree.

Tell him to stick it out and keep working. JUCO ball is at times more demanding than playing for an established division 1 program.
Were you there with Lockwood?
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2017, 11:39 AM   #32
Possum9
Four Point

Hunt In: Anderson county

I played against Chris Davis my freshman year in Corsicana, and during BP it was nothing for him to hit the building. He was just one of many guys in our conference to make The show. They had a pitcher from the same year named Jess Todd that pitched in the bigs as well as Angelina college pitcher Andrew Cashner that is still pitching on the bigs. Region 14 juco baseball was an awesome time with tuff competition.
Possum9 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2017, 11:42 AM   #33
salth2o
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Delta and Harris/Montgomery Counties. Anywhere else I can.

Quote:
Quote:
Just texted Eric, who said "yep, I've heard that story" on Chris Davis. That would be a pretty good poke, for sure. Gotta be at least 50 yards from the right field fence to the Atwoods store. Shortest part of fence is about 325, so guesstimate of 475 feet. Not out of the realm of possibility.
I've been associated with San Jac - North for 21 years and have been fortunate to watch lots of great baseball in that time.

One year when Chris was at Navarro, we were playing them in the Region XIV tournament in Mt. Pleasant. He hit one over the right field light poles. I see the guy who was pitching that game every now and then, and we still talk about that homer.
salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #34
tradtiger
Ten Point

Quote:
Coach: I sent you a PM a little while ago, but can't see it in my "sent items".
Hope it got through.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:10 AM   #35
tradtiger
Ten Point

Our Navarro Bulldogs are fixing to play four games in three days: Friday game with Bossier Parish (weather) got moved to Sunday and also playing them a double header today; then Temple in Temple Monday. Gonna need all pitching hands on deck, so to speak.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:50 PM   #36
tradtiger
Ten Point

Got the scoop on the Chris Davis longball discussion. Talked to "Pops", who has helped out coaching at Navarro for over two decades. He said he was coaching first base when Davis hit, not one, but two homeruns on top of the Corsicana Mini Mall (something like that). By the way, I did step off the distance from the right field fence to the building: 49 paces, so our 50-yard estimate was close enough for government work. Anyway, Pops said that both dingers went out over the 380-foot part of the field. The first one hit an AC unit about 10 or 15 feet in from the edge of the roof, while the second one hit a unit with an angled grate situated about 75 feet from the edge of the building. So the math would be 380+150+10=540 feet for the shorter first homer; while the second would be 380+150+75=605 feet for a monstrous moonshot. Pops noted how high Davis always hit the ball. He also recollected the homer that Salth2o mentioned during the Mt. Pleasant Region XIV tournament, hitting the light structure.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:56 PM   #37
tradtiger
Ten Point

Update for the weekend series of Navarro vs Bossier Parish: Navarro won the series 2-1.
However, the loss on Sunday puts Navarro into a tie with Panola, with each having 9-3 conference records (Region XIV East). This sets the stage for a series this weekend between the teams.

My son Eric pitched well in relief in Saturday's late game: pitching two innings with zero earned runs and 5 Ks.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:59 PM   #38
TexasWicked1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, and Iowa

Dang, wicked side arm pitch.
TexasWicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #39
tradtiger
Ten Point

Safety reminder: Parents/coaches please remind players at all levels to be alert for foul balls in the dugout. Had a situation where one of our strongest kids -- batting right-handed -- was late on a fastball and hit a laser shot into Bossier's dugout (on the first base side). Hit one of their players square in the mouth, sending him to the ER. Luckily, he turned out to be basically okay, except that he will need dental work for chipped teeth, according to his coaches that I visited with the next day.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:46 PM   #40
JVasquez
Eight Point

My son is a pitcher(Jr)and looking into going the Juco baseball route. I could rave about him all day but until someone notices him we will continue searching.
JVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2017, 10:18 PM   #41
tradtiger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVasquez View Post
My son is a pitcher(Jr)and looking into going the Juco baseball route. I could rave about him all day but until someone notices him we will continue searching.
Good luck to him and you. Tape his outings and edit a video to post on YouTube and here. You never know.

Also, is he playing with any select organizations? If so, some of those coaches may know of coaches to contact and get him a tryout. Also, there are showcase events where college and pro scouts watch for talent.

Last edited by tradtiger; 03-27-2017 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: Add info.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:08 PM   #42
tradtiger
Ten Point

Quote:
Good luck to him and you. Tape his outings and edit a video to post on YouTube and here. You never know.

Also, is he playing with any select organizations? If so, some of those coaches may know of coaches to contact and get him a tryout. Also, there are showcase events where college and pro scouts watch for talent.
By "you never know", I mean you never who might see it and contact you about a tryout. That's one of the main reasons for this thread.

Post up: high school and JUCO players/parents with highlights and stats that may help get you or your kid get to the "next level".

Last edited by tradtiger; 03-27-2017 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 03-29-2017, 01:33 PM   #43
JVasquez
Eight Point

He's going to try out with 12baseball and Houston Heat. He played with the Houston Saints last summer. We've been in contact with Chad Raley from Marrccci Baton Rouge.
JVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2017, 02:05 PM   #44
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Can't remember if you were there then? I'm old and can't remember anything.
I'm not that young I was there in 95-96
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2017, 03:04 PM   #45
tradtiger
Ten Point

Navarro won Thursday's game with Panola at Carthage, 8-3; play two more against Panola on Saturday in Corsicana. These are the conference leaders in Region XIV East, and were tied prior to Thursday.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:48 PM   #46
Storm
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lake Whitney

I wish I could hear more abour howard college baseball, but I have to wait on reports from my brother. My nephew is a middle infielder for them. This is his path so far Texas Tech,Howard and will be headed to Sam Houston when school let's our this year.
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2017, 06:16 PM   #47
Blackmouth
Four Point

My nephew recently signed with Blinn. Actually headed to watch him play tonight. Waxahachie vs Mansfield Timberview.
Blackmouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2017, 10:38 PM   #48
tradtiger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmouth View Post
My nephew recently signed with Blinn. Actually headed to watch him play tonight. Waxahachie vs Mansfield Timberview.
Congrats to your nephew! Blinn has sent a lot of players up to 4-year and pro levels. Very nice stadium and setting.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:52 PM   #49
Blackmouth
Four Point

Thanks, they just finished are or are still working on a major facility upgrade.
Blackmouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-01-2017, 07:06 PM   #50
tradtiger
Ten Point

Navarro update: split today's double header with Panola: lost the first game 9-1; won the second 3-1. So, Navarro leads Region XIV East. There will be another potential showdown series between these teams at the end of the season. Stay tuned!

My man, Eric pitched a 7-pitch, 1-hit inning in the first game, yielding no earned runs. His totals through 15 innings of relief: 1.20 ERA and .900 WHIP.