Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 03-16-2017, 01:15 PM   #1
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default Trumps Budget proposal

I'd love to see this get passed as is but i know it will not
so hoping for something close.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...-broadcasting/
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2017, 01:48 PM   #2
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I have only read a summary of the budget so far, but considering who's already melting down over it (eg: Bernie Sanders, Schumer) I think I will probably like it!
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2017, 01:51 PM   #3
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County

Between activist judges and an activist congress I am getting pretty bummed out. We want to play by the rules they dont. We probably wont get much done playing by the rules and then when they get back in power they will abuse their power again and ram everything they want down our throats.
J Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2017, 01:52 PM   #4
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
I have only read a summary of the budget so far, but considering who's already melting down over it (eg: Bernie Sanders, Schumer) I think I will probably like it!
lol, good indicators for sure
Old 03-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #5
LWC
Ten Point

The budget cuts $120 million from the Dept of Interior. Not great news for those of us that like to hunt the public lands of the west. I'm all for cutting some waste but I don't think this budget cuts any entitlement spending (where the real problems are).
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2017, 03:20 PM   #6
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWC View Post
The budget cuts $120 million from the Dept of Interior. Not great news for those of us that like to hunt the public lands of the west. I'm all for cutting some waste but I don't think this budget cuts any entitlement spending (where the real problems are).
Be interesting to see what Zinke says about that. Heck, what sci and other conservation groups will have to say also. I have not looked at the budget nor heard any commentary outside of tbh so far. Last week on the hill everything was about increasing defense spending and screw everything else......gonna be ugly!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2017, 03:30 PM   #7
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:
And here in lies the rub. We all want to cut spending as long as it's someone else's program.
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2017, 03:41 PM   #8
LWC
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
And here in lies the rub. We all want to cut spending as long as it's someone else's program.
Or cut ALL programs. Not just ones with very little political fallout.

When folks make budget cuts at home....do they only cut the ones that the kiddos won't get too pi**ed about....or do we cut all the areas that need cutting? Republicans have the power right now....do what is right for a change! Not just what keeps you in office for another term.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:22 PM   #9
Vermin93
Eight Point

Hunt In: North TX, OK, TN

Quote:
Or cut ALL programs. Not just ones with very little political fallout.

When folks make budget cuts at home....do they only cut the ones that the kiddos won't get too pi**ed about....or do we cut all the areas that need cutting? Republicans have the power right now....do what is right for a change! Not just what keeps you in office for another term.
Agreed. As a taxpayer, I find it hypocritical that the Department of Defense, which might be the biggest, most bloated government bureaucracy of them all, routinely gets a free pass from political conservatives when the subject of belt-tightening, wasteful spending and fiscal accountability comes up.
Vermin93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2017, 09:40 PM   #10
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin93 View Post
Agreed. As a taxpayer, I find it hypocritical that the Department of Defense, which might be the biggest, most bloated government bureaucracy of them all, routinely gets a free pass from political conservatives when the subject of belt-tightening, wasteful spending and fiscal accountability comes up.

Entitlements first. Way bigger, like almost 60 percent of the entire budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2017, 09:53 PM   #11
J Sweet
Pope & Young

This is what they've looked like for a decade at least.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:56 PM   #12
Vermin93
Eight Point

Default Trumps Budget proposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Sweet View Post
This is what they've looked like for a decade at least.

Exactly....why would any fiscal conservative want any of the 3 biggest slices of the pie to get any bigger? They are all outrageous. Trump wanting to make the already bloated DoD even more bloated is ridiculous, in my opinion.

Rand Paul was the only GOP Presidential candidate with the cajones to call out Republicans on this during the primaries.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:11 AM   #13
Draco
Pope & Young

Wonder why social security is included with unemployment and labor. Social security was already paid for and is not and entitlement.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2017, 05:53 AM   #14
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
Wonder why social security is included with unemployment and labor. Social security was already paid for and is not and entitlement.
Probably because the people who are supposed to collect it and keep it seperate many moons ago decided to spend it along with all the other money they steal from us. So now its just another item in a pot instead of its very own pot
Old 03-17-2017, 09:32 AM   #15
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
You are a minority my friend. The majority of people drawing from SS and Medicare draw way more than they ever put in, if they put anything in at all.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:38 AM   #16
J Sweet
Pope & Young

No one wants to hear it but grandma and grandpa have to start paying for their medical care. Average wage earning couple will pay in 114K over their lifetime yet will receive 355K in Medicare benefits.

Affordable healthcare for all also cannot be done. We are 19 trillion in debt, it would be nice but we LITERALLY CANT AFFORD IT.

The other thing someone with some cajones is gonna have to eliminate welfare to abled bodied men and women. I have no problem helping the disabled but that's it. Anyone else should be handed over to the county to work cleaning up highways and a number of other difficult jobs and be paid the minimum salary the law allows and that's only if the county feels like doing so out of the kindness of their hearts.

WE ARE BROKE.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #17
LWC
Ten Point

Quote:
No one wants to hear it but grandma and grandpa have to start paying for their medical care. Average wage earning couple will pay in 114K over their lifetime yet will receive 355K in Medicare benefits.

Affordable healthcare for all also cannot be done. We are 19 trillion in debt, it would be nice but we LITERALLY CANT AFFORD IT.

The other thing someone with some cajones is gonna have to eliminate welfare to abled bodied men and women. I have no problem helping the disabled but that's it. Anyone else should be handed over to the county to work cleaning up highways and a number of other difficult jobs and be paid the minimum salary the law allows and that's only if the county feels like doing so out of the kindness of their hearts.

WE ARE BROKE.

I can agree with that. Tough love is TOUGH. But who is going to make those tough decisions??? I don't see our spineless politicians doing that. Not without TERM LIMITS. They would be voting themselves out of a job. I see it getting MUCH worse before it can ever get better. I almost see some sort of revolt happening first, to trigger any real change.

Does anyone else see how the politicians would ever agree to commit political suicide for the betterment of the country? I'm not sure it will ever happen peacefully.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:55 AM   #18
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Lotta truth there! Some tweeks are truly needed in the program but it should not be part of unemployment statistics. Oh, I have offered to our government to by-pass my social security (which I fully funded the maximum in the first 15 years of my employment) if I was taxed in a FAIR manner.........I got crickets!
Quote:

WE ARE BROKE.
Great post and has a solid point.......we are BROKE is the bottom line. The only thing in flux is that when the GREATEST generation put money into the Ponzi scheme "a dollar is worth a dollar!" At the end of there lives (now) a dollar is worth less than a quarter. So, with that background I am not sure if that $114 versus $355k is accurate moving forward into the Baby Boomers, etc. (Just a point that has been easily and highly debatable!)
Old 03-17-2017, 10:56 AM   #19
Landrover
Pope & Young

Thumbs up

Quote:
I can agree with that. Tough love is TOUGH. But who is going to make those tough decisions??? I don't see our spineless politicians doing that. Not without TERM LIMITS. They would be voting themselves out of a job. I see it getting MUCH worse before it can ever get better. I almost see some sort of revolt happening first, to trigger any real change.

Does anyone else see how the politicians would ever agree to commit political suicide for the betterment of the country? I'm not sure it will ever happen peacefully.
Close this THREAD all really all POLITICAL threads!!!!
Old 03-17-2017, 10:59 AM   #20
mjbtexas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Nebraska, Missouri

just glad to hear the word "cuts".

I like the budget but we have to address the gimme state. And Term limits in the constitution.
mjbtexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2017, 11:11 AM   #21
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Unfortunately we are only making cuts to departments that take up less than 25 percent of entire expenditures. Not that I don't like cutting them but if we don't address entitlements then we aren't doing anything.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:21 PM   #22
treestand
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction Texas

If they reduce the corporate income tax rate to 15% like they have been talking about it will get the economy going and give us a net increase in government income. The cuts in Trump's budget all sound good to me. Entitlement reform means phasing in an increase in social security retirement age which may seem like a bitter pill but we can swallow it. Medicare, and health care in general, is more challenging but increasing government income will help.
treestand is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #23
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by treestand View Post
If they reduce the corporate income tax rate to 15% like they have been talking about it will get the economy going and give us a net increase in government income. The cuts in Trump's budget all sound good to me. Entitlement reform means phasing in an increase in social security retirement age which may seem like a bitter pill but we can swallow it. Medicare, and health care in general, is more challenging but increasing government income will help.
The gov. does not have a problem with the amount of money they take in. They have (the last 10 years) taken in record levels of money
The problem is, the gov spends much more money than they bring in. Spending needs to be slashed in all departments.

As for SS, Bush tried to get program phased in that would allow younger people to have a retirement account as part of their SS. That was shot down by the democrats. SS is a joke and should have never been implimented and was only implemented as a way to increase gov. power over the people,just like health care
Old 03-17-2017, 01:02 PM   #24
Mike Javi Cooper
Pope & Young

Quote:
You are a minority my friend. The majority of people drawing from SS and Medicare draw way more than they ever put in, if they put anything in at all.
Back when I started paying SS, I paid the maximum every year... usually by June or July... Then the started raising the maximum until finally somewhere in the late 70's I couldn't make enough to pay the maximum..

I can remember many of us saying that we wished the government would just let us save our own money... Even if it was in a government saving account.
Mike Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #25
treestand
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
The gov. does not have a problem with the amount of money they take in. They have (the last 10 years) taken in record levels of money
The problem is, the gov spends much more money than they bring in. Spending needs to be slashed in all departments.

As for SS, Bush tried to get program phased in that would allow younger people to have a retirement account as part of their SS. That was shot down by the democrats. SS is a joke and should have never been implimented and was only implemented as a way to increase gov. power over the people,just like health care
We can balance the budget by increasing revenue or cutting costs or some of both. That is the point I was making. Further, I suggested ways to do this that have at least some chance of passing. There is zero chance of passing a bill in Washington that would cut enough to balance the budget.
treestand is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #26
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
We can balance the budget by increasing revenue or cutting costs or some of both. That is the point I was making. Further, I suggested ways to do this that have at least some chance of passing. There is zero chance of passing a bill in Washington that would cut enough to balance the budget.
I'm not arguing with you, trust me i agree. just pointing out that no matter how much money the gov. takes in it has always spent more than it has.
They could take in 10 trillion and still spend 12.
Taxes need to be lowered, healthcare removed,welfare removed, and SS phased out over the next 10 years.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:02 PM   #27
Vermin93
Eight Point

Just FYI, that pie chart was created by a private, nonprofit organization called the National Priorities Project (NPP). NPP created 13 different budget categories to sort federal spending for the purposes of their own analysis and reporting. The federal government has a different system to track spending by category that uses functions and subfunctions. For example, function 600 is Income Security. It consists of the following subfunctions:

601 General retirement and disability insurance
602 Federal employee retirement and disability
603 Unemployment compensation
604 Housing assistance
605 Food and nutrition assistance
609 Other income security

Social Security is function 650, subfunction 651.

NPP created the category of Social Security, Unemployment & Labor to cover mandatory spending on income security programs, federal employee retirement and disability, and job training. In the eyes of the federal government, that single NPP category is actually 8 different categories.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:44 PM   #28
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well played!!!

Quote:
If they reduce the corporate income tax rate to 15% like they have been talking about
Now the number being batted around is closer to 25%.....such BS!!! That change was #1 on my list in being at least half-hearted optomistic about this administration. If not done at 15%.........

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2017, 12:40 PM   #29
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

If this budget passes. I'm out of a job. Kinda hard to feel good about that.

-------------------------------
Violence never settles anything
-Genghis Kahn
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #30
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoof View Post
If this budget passes. I'm out of a job. Kinda hard to feel good about that.

-Genghis Kahn

Whys that?

Old 03-18-2017, 01:56 PM   #31
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

Americorps. National service is on the chopping block. I train youngsters in conservation and disaster relief.

-Genghis Kahn
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2017, 01:57 PM   #32
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Usually from a tree

Politicians are involved.....you can bet it'll be FUBAR. There are only two ways to get out of a financial hole. One, bring in more revenue. Two, spend less money. Those are simple business principals that our government can't or won't understand. This could be fixed, but it wouldn't be easy and it wouldn't leave everyone happy. Anyone who has ever revived a struggling business or dug their household out of a financial mess knows it's not easy. But it **** sure is necessary. It a waste of time to argue about what areas should be cut, because it all should be cut. Half of it should be eliminated altogether. It's broken, because 100% of the things that our government touches turns to ****. It doesn't matter if it's Republicans or Democrats in office, our government is broken, our government is entitled, our government is incapable of fixing itself. I'm generally the most optimistic person I know, but this has me shaking my head. Even if we had a great businessman in the White House, there are always gonna be enough government people to keep things from done. Is there any hope? Can this be fixed? I pray so.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2017, 07:45 AM   #33
XBowHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson/Cass

Quote:

This ^^^*
XBowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2017, 07:49 AM   #34
XBowHunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
I'm not arguing with you, trust me i agree. just pointing out that no matter how much money the gov. takes in it has always spent more than it has.

They could take in 10 trillion and still spend 12.

Taxes need to be lowered, healthcare removed,welfare removed, and SS phased out over the next 10 years.

What do you mean by phasing out SS?

What happens to all the people that have paid in? Do they get their payments back?

Because if the government stopped making payments to people that have paid in there's going to be violence in the streets.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:04 AM   #35
M6A2REPR
Six Point

Hunt In: Red River County

SS was and is a flawed system. I planned on the system failing and going away.

It is unfortunate.
M6A2REPR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2017, 08:09 AM   #36
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoof View Post
Americorps. National service is on the chopping block. I train youngsters in conservation and disaster relief.

-Genghis Kahn
Gotcha,

My sister does work for US Aid so Im sure she will feel the pain on that one, but there are plenty more NGOs in DC for her.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:22 AM   #37
LWC
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6A2REPR View Post

It is unfortunate.
^^^^

This. I have been told for the last 20 years not to count on SS being there for me and to make other plans for retirement. I see it being phased out after the baby boomers and don't think it will be a shock to the younger generations that have paid in.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:11 AM   #38
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6A2REPR View Post

It is unfortunate.
It is nothing more than another tax.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2017, 09:18 AM   #39
M6A2REPR
Six Point

Hunt In: Red River County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
It is nothing more than another tax.
You are correct.
M6A2REPR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2017, 09:25 AM   #40
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBowHunter View Post
This ^^^*
LOL, got to love them big govt libertarians.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:49 AM   #41
XBowHunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
LOL, got to love them big govt libertarians.

Where did I say I agree with it? That's not what I said at all. You should learn to read what I say.

I said I put money into the system for a long time and I want my money back. As did all working Americans.

If Republicans decide to take money away from people that they have already paid in there will be violence in the streets.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:55 AM   #42
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Where did I say I agree with it? That's not what I said at all. You should learn to read what I say.

I said I put money into the system for a long time and I want my money back. As did all working Americans.

If Republicans decide to take money away from people that they have already paid in there will be violence in the streets.

The issue is, that money is already spent the moment it is paid in. It's the world's largest Ponzi scheme. We need to just to acknowledge this, cut our losses and do away with it completely. I know that's never going to happen, but a boy can dream.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:08 AM   #43
XBowHunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
The issue is, that money is already spent the moment it is paid in. It's the world's largest Ponzi scheme. We need to just to acknowledge this, cut our losses and do away with it completely. I know that's never going to happen, but a boy can dream.

I demand my money back, you can cut your loses if you want
Old 03-21-2017, 10:12 AM   #44
Axe Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County

The current budget plan cancels out all after school and summer funding. My wife will lose her job and 11 schools (just from her grant) will have kids not reaping the benefits of what she has put over 10 years into.
Axe Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2017, 10:15 AM   #45
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:

Still advocating for you govt payment or there will be violence huh?

Attached Images

Old 03-21-2017, 10:35 AM   #46
XBowHunter
Pope & Young

Quote:

Not from m me, from the masses !!!!!

I guess you're just willing to give up all the money you've paid in.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:37 AM   #47
XBowHunter
Pope & Young

I look forward to trumps proposed cuts hurting those that voted for him.

It will be a very hard lesson learned for those people
Old 03-21-2017, 10:43 AM   #48
LWC
Ten Point

Quote:
I demand my money back, you can cut your loses if you want
You can demand in one hand and do something else in the other. It won't stop the fact that there is not enough money to sustain SS.

While you are at it, demand all of our tax dollars wasted on welfare to able bodied folk. I want all taxes back that are paid to illegals.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #49
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:

This is one area people have the right to be outraged about. It's not like he's saying he wants free money. We are forced to pay into this with the promise of getting it back. Instead the government misappropriates it to pay for their other cluster of spending habits until there isn't anything to pay back. Then you have to continue to screw future generations to pay back past generations the money you squandered. All while continuing to misappropriate it. The problem with this type of scheme is eventually you run out of other peoples money to pay back the people you owe with.

It's fraud disguised as a tax disguised as a benefit and it needs to be done away with.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:57 AM   #50
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
You can demand in one hand and do something else in the other. It won't stop the fact that there is not enough money to sustain SS.

While you are at it, demand all of our tax dollars wasted on welfare to able bodied folk. I want all taxes back that are paid to illegals.
This is I don't think it's realistic to demand it back. As much as it makes me mad and I understand wanting it back, that money is gone.