Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-16-2017, 07:49 AM   #51
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

The original 5.3L Gen III engine was virtually bullet proof. It lasted way too long therefore Engineered Failure came about. GM never wanted gas vehicles to last for 300K miles. Hurts their sales. That and EPA mandates for fuel economy. GM did not do themselves a favor by adding AFM and VVT since they were way behind on technology for this. AFM and VVT has really hurt the reputation of that motor. European cars have perfected VVT adn AFM to a much better degree but they still have reliability issues. Too many moving parts I guess. GM could have just went with a smaller boosted or turbo'd motor and accomplished the same thing in fuel economy as well as maintaining necessary power kinda like Ford did with the eco boost. Ford beat GM to the front on this one although they still had their share of failure with the eco-boost system.

Here's some of what made that GEN III engine so good--
* 4.40-inch bore centers (like the original small-block)
* Six-bolt, cross-bolted main bearing caps
* Center main thrust bearing
* 9.24-inch deck height
* Four-bolt-per-cylinder head bolt pattern
* 0.842-inch lifter bores
* Distributorless, coil-near-plug ignition system

Although performance car engines have typically carried "LS" designations, truck engines built on this platform have been dubbed Vortec. In the beginning, they were generally distinguished by iron cylinder blocks and were offered in smaller displacements than car engines. Interestingly, a 5.7L Vortec "LS" engine has never been offered. Here's a quick rundown of the previous and current-production LS truck engines:
* 4.8L - The smallest-displacement LS engine (293 cu in); it uses an iron block with 3.78-inch bores and aluminum heads.
* 5.3L - The most common LS truck engine (327 cu in), it uses the same iron block with 3.78-inch bores as the 4.8L, but with a longer stroke , (3.62-inch)crank. Later versions equipped for Active Fuel Management. Manufactured with iron and aluminum cylinder blocks.
* 6.0L - Used primarily in 3/4-ton and 1-ton trucks, the 6.0L (364 cu in) uses an iron block (LY6) or aluminum block (L76) and aluminum heads, with provisions for Active Fuel Management; some equipped with variable valve timing.
* 6.2L - Commonly referred to by its L92 engine code, the 6.2L (376 cu in) engine uses an aluminum block and heads, and incorporates advanced technology including variable valve timing. The L92 is used primarily as a high-performance engine for the Cadillac Escalade and GMC Yukon Denali.

The 5.3L engine in the 2002 thru 2006 trucks could be easily modified at very little cost to produce around 420 bhp and over 400 ft lbs torque. Taint bad for a small block 327 naturally aspirated motor that would get great fuel economy. We call them Hemi Killers.

Last edited by muzzlebrake; 03-16-2017 at 07:53 AM..
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2017, 09:25 AM   #52
MQ32Shooter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cisco, Texas

Sorry to hear the it quit on ya Timm. I had the same engine in my 08 Z-71. Started burning oil at about 75K. Started fouling my plugs so badly, I finally got rid of it and bought a Titan. Got 131K on it and never had one problem. Had the plugs changed at 120K and the mechanic said all of the plugs still looked perfect. I was a Chevy man all of my life. Buy my last two Z-71's did not get past 116K before I unloaded them. Never was a fan of Jap trucks until I owned the Titan. I'm staying with them now.
MQ32Shooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #53
2050z
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson when drawn/Coryell/Scio Ohio/Unit 11 Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
Sorry to hear the it quit on ya Timm. I had the same engine in my 08 Z-71. Started burning oil at about 75K. Started fouling my plugs so badly, I finally got rid of it and bought a Titan. Got 131K on it and never had one problem. Had the plugs changed at 120K and the mechanic said all of the plugs still looked perfect. I was a Chevy man all of my life. Buy my last two Z-71's did not get past 116K before I unloaded them. Never was a fan of Jap trucks until I owned the Titan. I'm staying with them now.
I had looked a the Titan several times. Very nice trucks. I considered the Ford Eco boost as my next truck as well. Truck should be ready this Friday. Jasper claims in their video to have resolve the AFM issue by changing out the faulty lifter with a new and designed AFM lifter.
2050z is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2017, 10:49 AM   #54
MQ32Shooter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cisco, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2050z View Post
I had looked a the Titan several times. Very nice trucks. I considered the Ford Eco boost as my next truck as well. Truck should be ready this Friday. Jasper claims in their video to have resolve the AFM issue by changing out the faulty lifter with a new and designed AFM lifter.
That's certainly good news. I loved the way my Z's road compared to the Titan. Z's rode like the wife's Lexus, Titan rides like a buckboard.
MQ32Shooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2017, 10:31 PM   #55
2050z
Pope & Young

Truck should be ready Monday
Old 03-19-2017, 08:35 AM   #56
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Quote:
A lifter change will not stop the oil burning. It may stop the lifter failure by installing a lifter with travel limiter in it but it's not going to stop the oil coming back up across the rings. Remember that when those cylinders shut off the cylinder then becomes just an air pump with no combustion pressure to keep the rings expanded and scrap the oil down. Even the compression ring scraps oil during the power stroke. The crankcase pressure will cause the oil to blow by the rings and then out thru the exhaust valve and on down to the catalytic converter which over time can get clogged too. It starts off slow but as the rings get more and more carbon built up behind them, oil burning gets worse.
It can start happening at 20k miles or at 75k miles but sooner or later it will happen.
The other place GM engines start to use oil is at the valve seals. This is usually at high mileage where over time the valve seals have become hard and worn by the constant up/down of the valve stem. A valve job with Viton replacement seals can usually fix this. Ever notice that after sitting over night and when you first crank it up the next morning a puff of blue smoke out the exhaust. That's most likely worn valve seals where the oil sitting on top of the valve stem seal drains down to the top of the valve guide as the engine cools and parts shrink and when it's started cold it sucks the oil down into the cylinder and burns it. It's not a lot but can amount to a quart every 500 to 1000 miles and then gets worse.

Last edited by muzzlebrake; 03-19-2017 at 08:37 AM..
Old 03-19-2017, 10:12 AM   #57
2050z
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
A lifter change will not stop the oil burning. It may stop the lifter failure by installing a lifter with travel limiter in it but it's not going to stop the oil coming back up across the rings. Remember that when those cylinders shut off the cylinder then becomes just an air pump with no combustion pressure to keep the rings expanded and scrap the oil down. Even the compression ring scraps oil during the power stroke. The crankcase pressure will cause the oil to blow by the rings and then out thru the exhaust valve and on down to the catalytic converter which over time can get clogged too. It starts off slow but as the rings get more and more carbon built up behind them, oil burning gets worse.
It can start happening at 20k miles or at 75k miles but sooner or later it will happen.
The other place GM engines start to use oil is at the valve seals. This is usually at high mileage where over time the valve seals have become hard and worn by the constant up/down of the valve stem. A valve job with Viton replacement seals can usually fix this. Ever notice that after sitting over night and when you first crank it up the next morning a puff of blue smoke out the exhaust. That's most likely worn valve seals where the oil sitting on top of the valve stem seal drains down to the top of the valve guide as the engine cools and parts shrink and when it's started cold it sucks the oil down into the cylinder and burns it. It's not a lot but can amount to a quart every 500 to 1000 miles and then gets worse.

I am still planning on getting the diablo tuner and turning off the AFM
Old 03-19-2017, 10:45 AM   #58
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Quote:
I am still planning on getting the diablo tuner and turning off the AFM
You won't regret it. Your fuel mileage should improve too. Maybe as much as 2 mpg.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:30 PM   #59
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
You won't regret it. Your fuel mileage should improve too. Maybe as much as 2 mpg.

I wouldn't count on it. I saw ZERO mileage gains when I put a Diablo on my 2004.

But my main reason for getting it was to adjust shift points and speedometer since the tires were slightly larger than stock. It did make the throttle response more snappy which was nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 07:18 PM   #60
2050z
Pope & Young

Truck is ready!!
Old 03-20-2017, 07:53 PM   #61
skeeter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca, Kimble and Colorado Counties

Quote:
Truck engine lasted almost five years. 160K miles and the #6 cylinder lifter has gone out. After a lot of research it's a known issue. GM won't cover the cost to fix this mess. AFM causes an oil consumption problem. Which in turn causes a whole bunch of other issues. My engine is 5.3L

I still love this truck so I am getting a refurbished engine with a 3 year / 100,000 mile warranty.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=Ride
the 100k mile warranty sounds good, but ask if the warranty covers parts AND labor. if you buy the engine from one place and have it installed at another, the labor is probably not covered. if the engine goes bad, youll have to pay to have the engine pulled and re installed. and you can bet, if the engine goes bad, its gonna be the installers fault, and it aint gonna be covered!

I just had a refurb installed in my 02 z71. 3/36000 warranty parts and labor. also had all new belts, hoses, plugs, plug wires, sensors, water pump. so far, no issues.
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 10:15 PM   #62
2050z
Pope & Young

Runs like a champ! Tuner will be ordered this Friday
Old 03-21-2017, 10:52 AM   #63
2050z
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter View Post
the 100k mile warranty sounds good, but ask if the warranty covers parts AND labor. if you buy the engine from one place and have it installed at another, the labor is probably not covered. if the engine goes bad, youll have to pay to have the engine pulled and re installed. and you can bet, if the engine goes bad, its gonna be the installers fault, and it aint gonna be covered!

I just had a refurb installed in my 02 z71. 3/36000 warranty parts and labor. also had all new belts, hoses, plugs, plug wires, sensors, water pump. so far, no issues.

The shop added two year parts and labor for this job. I am good for two years at least. Jasper Engines is where the shop got my engine.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:09 PM   #64
skeeter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca, Kimble and Colorado Counties

Sounds like you got a good deal! Helluva lot cheaper than a new truck!
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2017, 07:02 PM   #65
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
I wouldn't count on it. I saw ZERO mileage gains when I put a Diablo on my 2004.

But my main reason for getting it was to adjust shift points and speedometer since the tires were slightly larger than stock. It did make the throttle response more snappy which was nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Those bigger tires more than likely offset the mileage gains you might have gotten I sacrificed about 2mpg when I changed the tune and shift points and re-calibrated for my bigger tires. Pulling my boat is a lot easier on the truck with the shift points changed.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:02 PM   #66
BIGTERRY75
Ten Point

Hunt In: Van Zandt, Bosque, Rockwall

Muzzlebrake you are an educated man.

You made this a nice read for me, thanks.

And I concur, get a tuner that will delete the AFM and roll on.

Or, find a guy that tunes with HP Tuner, or EFI live. Prolly about the same money and I believe you get a little better tune with the custom tune.

fwiw my 5.3 has over 320k never had an issue and I still drive it like I stole it.
BIGTERRY75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2017, 03:13 PM   #67
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria/Fort Bend county, Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrero88 View Post
I've got a 2013. Any info on the newer engines
I heard they fixed the problem in 2012
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2017, 10:03 PM   #68
2050z
Pope & Young

From what I read the issues was fixed in 2015.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:53 PM   #69
2050z
Pope & Young

Got the Diablo tuner. Will do the DOD/AFM disable today!
Old 03-27-2017, 10:41 PM   #70
2050z
Pope & Young

Tuner was very simple to use
Old 03-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #71
CLA25-06
Six Point

Hunt In: Lampasas and Coryell county

Were you able to tell a difference?
CLA25-06 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2017, 04:56 PM   #72
2050z
Pope & Young

yes right away. I am considering doing the 87 Octane tune next.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:57 PM   #73
CLA25-06
Six Point

Hunt In: Lampasas and Coryell county

Good deal.
CLA25-06 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2017, 04:58 PM   #74
chopsknives
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyearl View Post
sorry to hear the motor going out
I hit 250k on mine 2001 5.7
still going strong
292,000 on my 2001 8.1 and she's lived a hard life
chopsknives is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2017, 05:39 PM   #75
mooney_ag
Six Point

Hunt In: Erath County

What diablo tuner did you end up with ?
mooney_ag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2017, 05:44 PM   #76
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Glad to hear your getting back on the road Timm. Been kinda lurking here. Think I'll keep my old truck. Newer ones sound pretty complicated.

'89 GMC with a 5.7 and 268K+ mile gasser, never been rebuilt. And it's got stuff I don't understand why it needs it.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2017, 07:06 PM   #77
2050z
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney_ag View Post
What diablo tuner did you end up with ?
ITUNE I2 for the GM gasoline engine. Watch a lot of videos before hand. Be sure to do the software update on the tuner before doing the upgrades.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:38 PM   #78
Mex Polack
Four Point

Hunt In: Mexico
Default 89 Chevy Silverado SWB

Been very fortunate on my 89, 350 5.7 i have 672k miles. 330k on original
engine and now 342k on rebuilt engine, I drive 100 miles a day 7 days a week
change oil every 2 months (4k miles) Castrol oil!
Mex Polack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2017, 08:18 PM   #79
Leonhogboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coryell Co, Lee Co, Idaho, & Anywhere invited

Probably a little more costly than taping the red/blue wire back on, but at least you're back on the road Timm.

Last edited by Leonhogboy; 03-29-2017 at 08:21 PM..
Leonhogboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2017, 07:28 AM   #80
2050z
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonhogboy View Post
Probably a little more costly than taping the red/blue wire back on, but at least you're back on the road Timm.

Oh now you want to be funny!!!
Old 03-31-2017, 08:56 AM   #81
bgleaton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County, TX

My 08 consumed Lots of oil. It didn't start till after warranty was up, but at 3,000 miles I would have 1qt left. There were no leaks in the oil pan. These things just consumed oil due to the AFM. I traded it in and got a '14 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4. These newer engines now take 8.2qts of oil. Let's hope it doesn't consume oil and that GM fixed this issue. According to GM, they fixed the problems on most of the '13's and newer versions.

Last edited by bgleaton; 03-31-2017 at 08:59 AM..
bgleaton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2017, 09:34 AM   #82
Pineywoods
Ten Point

Hunt In: Elkhart, Splendora, Laneville & Throckmorton

We had an '03 Tahoe 4wd 5.3L that was taken very good care of but had to have the engine replaced at 100k miles. I bought an engine out of a wrecked truck that had 47k miles on it and paid an old man in Magnolia to install it. The engine and labor only cost me $1100. I then just turned around and sold the Tahoe never to buy a GM product again. I only buy Toyota and Nissan trucks now. Personally, I haven't had good luck with any of the GM or Dodge products we've owned that started to get near or over 100k miles. Maybe I just have bad luck because I have friends with 250k miles on their 5.3 L trucks.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2017, 09:42 AM   #83
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

The big secret to a long life on the 5.3 Generation engine is to drive the HAIL out of them and change oil more often than the book calls for. These motors don't like to be babied.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:08 AM   #84
Killer Miller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sulphur Springs & Georgetown

I have an 08 exact same truck. Just replaced all the lifters in mine. Had 3 lifters stick all of a sudden. Had 138,00 miles on it. Cost $3500 to get fixed.
Killer Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2017, 10:09 AM   #85
BrentRussell
Four Point

Hunt In: East Texas & Central Texas

The issues started around the 05-06 mark and I've seen it just recently in an 2011 suburban. Have replaced a few motors (5.3) here at the shop because of it. It starts out as a misfire on most occasions. Only one came in with an obvious tick. We have done 4 of these motors in the last 9 months alone. The lifters sit in a plastic cassette and most will slip the cassette & turn sideways. They are roller lifters so of course it eats the lifter, & damages the cam. Some get lucky & just have to replace cam & lifters, some not so lucky. It sucks because it's expensive. Worst thing Chevy could have come out with was AFM in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BrentRussell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2017, 11:25 AM   #86
2050z
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgleaton View Post
My 08 consumed Lots of oil. It didn't start till after warranty was up, but at 3,000 miles I would have 1qt left. There were no leaks in the oil pan. These things just consumed oil due to the AFM. I traded it in and got a '14 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4. These newer engines now take 8.2qts of oil. Let's hope it doesn't consume oil and that GM fixed this issue. According to GM, they fixed the problems on most of the '13's and newer versions.

One of the Chevy forums I visit has plenty of '14 owners complaining about the same issue as mine. Lots of owners just turn off the AFM and go on about their business. Jasper claims to have fixed the issue with the a redesigned lifter, but I just turned the AFM off.

No issues with this Jasper engine.