Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 03-06-2017, 08:21 PM   #1
KenWood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano and Runnels county
Default How do you aim?

I don't. I used look at the arrow in my peripheral to line up my left and right. Nowadays I just take a laser stare at the smallest part of the bullseye. Interested to see how everyone else hits they're mark. Hopefully I can keep up my instinctive accuracy. I shoot about 200 arrows a day.
KenWood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2017, 09:06 PM   #2
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

I honestly don't know how I aim. I guess everybody does aim somehow...but I just look at where I want the arrow to go.
CRM_95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2017, 09:10 PM   #3
Silvey
Six Point

Hunt In: Waelder TX, Crosby TX

Kinda like throwing a baseball, concentrate on a spot and you body does the rest.
Silvey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2017, 09:15 PM   #4
Bisch
Pope & Young

I look at the smallest spot I can concentrate on, then let the rest just happen. I know my brain sees the arrow, but I could not begin to tell you where it is pointing.

Bisch
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2017, 09:22 PM   #5
IowaHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iowa

I'm like Nike - just do it. I have no idea but I'm pretty accurate.
IowaHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2017, 09:22 PM   #6
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

I'll agree with CRM. Not sure what I am suppose to see or not, but I concentrate on my spot and turn it loose. Guess we are all in the boat together.
Dry Bones is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2017, 09:24 PM   #7
spidermonkey
Eight Point

Hunt In: northeast and central texas

Like above, I look where I want to hit, and let it fly. Course I'm not a very good shot, so take that for what it's worth! Like Bisch, to my knowledge, I use nothing for reference other than boring a hole with my eye on what I'm wanting to hit. When it's an animal, I like to say, "I draw a starvation bead on em.." aim at it like you are starving, and have to hit that animal to have a meal to eat! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
spidermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2017, 09:30 PM   #8
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Yep, burn a hole for your arrow to go in!!!
Randy Madden is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2017, 10:02 PM   #9
dhmc03
Six Point

Carefully?
dhmc03 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2017, 10:15 PM   #10
KenWood
Ten Point

We are pretty much all in the same boat. I know there's a few gap shooters around. I tried it years ago and it wasn't for me. Though, years ago if I had the instruction Draco gave in the sticky, things may have been different. I just really like my subconscious doing the ranging for me.

One more question. What is y'all instinctive shooters max range to shoot at an animal? Mine is 25 yards. And everything needs to perfect to take that. I prefer inside 20.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:22 PM   #11
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

YIP, agreed again. I won't even consider outside 25, and that range is only for hogs. Deer I am in preference of 15 or less. The hog in my avatar was about 25 yards. My only whitetail with my longbow this past season was about 10 ish. That was a comfortable shot.
Dry Bones is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2017, 10:29 PM   #12
Bisch
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigthumper View Post
We are pretty much all in the same boat. I know there's a few gap shooters around. I tried it years ago and it wasn't for me. Though, years ago if I had the instruction Draco gave in the sticky, things may have been different. I just really like my subconscious doing the ranging for me.

One more question. What is y'all instinctive shooters max range to shoot at an animal? Mine is 25 yards. And everything needs to perfect to take that. I prefer inside 20.
Depends on the animal! Deer sized and smaller, ~20ish yds. Bigger, like elk and such, ~30ish yds. I always want them closer, and there are times when it feels right a little longer, and times when I would not even attempt the long shot.

Bisch
Old 03-07-2017, 08:17 AM   #13
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

I aim before I draw. Due to a defect I incurred 39 years ago, my brain requires some conscious help. I then draw, confirm the sight picture and focus on the spot through the release.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 08:41 AM   #14
Hunter Todd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin co. /Boswell, Ok.

I look straight down the arrow at the target as I draw, by the time I hit anchor 100% of my focus in on the center of the target. I think this has helped me develope a more consistent/repeatable shot cycle. I dont even realize I'm doing it anymore. BUT, I'd have a hard time hitting Kate Smith in the butt with a hand full of rice, so, dont listen to me!
Hunter Todd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 09:00 AM   #15
El Paisano
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas-Arkansas

That is pretty bad Todd because I remember Kate Smith.
El Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 09:07 AM   #16
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

BTW, I tend to use my riser more than my arrow when I reference my sight picture.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 09:12 AM   #17
Hunter Todd
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Paisano View Post
That is pretty bad Todd because I remember Kate Smith.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:24 AM   #18
caughtandhobble
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Todd View Post
I look straight down the arrow at the target as I draw, by the time I hit anchor 100% of my focus in on the center of the target. I think this has helped me develope a more consistent/repeatable shot cycle. I dont even realize I'm doing it anymore. BUT, I'd have a hard time hitting Kate Smith in the butt with a hand full of rice, so, dont listen to me!
Sounds like the way I shoot.
caughtandhobble is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 09:40 AM   #19
killerbee
Pope & Young

I use the point of the arrow and gap shoot
killerbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 10:43 AM   #20
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

I use the split vision gap method, basically aim with the tip of the arrow with the target In sight, overtime it becomes subconsciously instinctive, at first it's just trial and error, accuracy and consistency increased greatly when I started to aim with a certain method instead of hoping and praying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ghostgoblin22 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #21
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

I close both eyes and use the force.
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 11:04 AM   #22
Caddo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lampassas County

Out to 20-25 yds, pretty much like you, I used look at the arrow in my peripheral to line up my left and right, then concentrate the smallest part of the spot I intend to hit. Once I hit my point on, about 35 yds, then I almost Gap shoot with more concentration on the arrow point than target, If I'm fairly sure of the yardage. Works pretty good as long as my release is right. No guarantees on that!

LD
Caddo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #23
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Pre-shot visualization is key for me. I take a deep hook then put just enough pressure on the string to start to feel back tension. At that point I "go to the movies" (as Jack Nicklaus used to call his pre-shot routine), seeing in my mind's eye what the perfect shot will look like - the arrow flying on the proper trajectory and dropping right into my spot. I immediately draw and shoot with that visual fresh on my mind. There are days when the computer between my ears is working well and it's like magic. Other days I struggle to visualize the shot. That is why some prefer gap shooting - it's more repeatable and you don't have to rely as much on that "instinctive" part of your brain working from one day to the next.
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #24
TXMark
Eight Point

Hunt In: Fannin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
Sometimes I feel that is the best way. But I actually just try and focus on a spot and let it rip. I guess that is why I am not that consistent with my accuracy. Don't know if you could ever get to the point where you are 100% confident.
TXMark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 11:51 AM   #25
forest-hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: SHNF

I was struggling until I used I used the tp guru; jk!
forest-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 01:09 PM   #26
DRT
Pope & Young

Honestly I have times when I get off track and I try to figure out just where I'm pointing and my hand and . . . That usually just sends me down a spiral of inaccurate and discouraging shooting. If I focus on poa and follow through I do much better.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2017, 02:25 PM   #27
Junkers88
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching

I've been in and out of each boat mentioned here. Purely instinctive, gap, split, force, downward-spiral-of-gut-churning-doom, etc... What works best for me is focus on the spot I want to hit, run through my shot sequence until I'm at 100% anchor and then "aim" down the arrow towards my POA. I even squint my left eye a bit before I release to make sure I'm in-line with where I want to hit. I don't know if it's actually gap shooting or instinctive or some butchered version in the middle. It really shouldn't work but it does.

I'm sure there's some kind of paradoxical phenomenon or something that would explain this but darned if I know what it is.

Richard.
Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 03:09 PM   #28
4dog
Ten Point

Hunt In: burleson county,,and any other place im welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
+1...do or do not...there is no try
4dog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 06:00 PM   #29
Billy Shipp
Eight Point

Hunt In: Where ever I'm invited

I use the LETTER method of aiming.....yank it back and letter fly...
I shoot like most everyone else here, pick a spot, draw until middle finger touches corner of my mouth, then release, accuracy is pretty good out to 25 yds, farther than 25yds I just pick a spot a bit higher up.
Billy Shipp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 10:01 PM   #30
Shiloh
Four Point

Hunt In: Roosevelt, TX

I'm another hard focus shooter. I can stack them like I'm shooting a decorated compound at 20 yards when I'm in the zone mentally.
If i break my intense focus on the dead center of what I want to hit - I miss my mark by a few inches.
Sometimes I feel as if I can feel the good shot before I loose the arrow based upon physical cues in my form. When I get that feeling and focus on my spot even post release, I'm scary accurate. The trouble I have is that i come unglued on game and lose mu focus. I can smoke my 3d hog and deer from random distances 5 to 25 yards with rarely a bad hit. But in the field I get so excited on real game that I shank the shots!
Shiloh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 10:38 PM   #31
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
Sometimes I feel as if I can feel the good shot before I loose the arrow based upon physical cues in my form. When I get that feeling and focus on my spot even post release, I'm scary accurate. !
That is a good way to describe it. Sometimes you look at the spot and a feeling washes over you and you know with absolute certainty that particular arrow is going to go exactly where you are looking. It is really hard (for me anyway)to stay in that zone for long but it's what keeps us shooting
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 10:53 PM   #32
Bisch
Pope & Young

It is definitely easier when you don't have to think about it!

Bisch
Old 03-07-2017, 10:54 PM   #33
DRT
Pope & Young

Focus and follow through are keys. I can tell when it's time to put the bow up as fatigue affects me and my shots start to scatter.

That's the greatness of archery for me. The focus shuts out all of the other crud. Brings me back to center.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:57 AM   #34
KenWood
Ten Point

When I miss, I know exactly where the arrow will hit before it gets there. That tells me it was a focus issue. Or I'll see erratic arrow flight in which case I know I plucked it. It's funny how I can shoot fifty shots with a good release. Then out of the blue I pluck one. It's usually a moment of distraction.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:12 AM   #35
Shiloh
Four Point

Ive been paying special attention to my first shot (cold) when I begin a session - since that shot closer represents what I can expect in the field.
That is where that 'feeling' of a good shot really matters. In my minds eye, I can see and feel the perfect shot during my cycle - almost having a sense of salivating before the shot just 'knowing' I'm gonna hit my mark. Its like what Jerp said above, feeling the good shot or having projection of it before it happens. Everything just feels right, my deep hook, light loop grip on the riser with my thumb and forfinger - the sense of perferct form at full draw, feeling as if I'm perfectly aligned in all aspects, and metaphorically 'laying flat on top of the arrow as if I'm gonna launch with it head first into the spot I'm intensely zeroed in on'. That feel comes only with a proper clear mind and focus. When its there - I absolutely smoke the dot I'm staring at. While I can't do it all the time with my first cold shot, the frequency of its occurrence has been increasing for me. I think that feeling is the same thing Ferguson is explaining in his words of 'clear focus' in Become the arrow.
It was certainly not a trait that I picked up on quickly - at all. It took me about 18 months of shooting trad pretty much every day with no less than 50 arrows day - some days over 200. Mixed in there were likely many sessions that I developed bad form habits due to fatigue which could have possibly caused me to take even longer to develop this trait.
I have tuned and retuned arrows multiple times as my draw lengths have gone from 28 to 29.5". Im only 5'10" shoot 29" DL on compound bows, but actually was shooting trad very well at 29.5" DL for a while. But, as I later learned, I was actually over drawing.
Today, my draw is an honest 28" and it has been where I found my feel of good form. My arrows are cut to 28.25", Beman Centershot 400's with a 75 grain brass insert, 310 grains up front, 10 grain H nock, 3-3.5" parabolics and a turbulator band. Arrows weigh in at 670 grains and are at 28.76% FOC (around 12.8-13.0 GPP) using my 53 and 52# @ 28" Bob Lee Recurves and 50# Bear Super Kodiak. The 52 and 53# Lees shoot the arrows as 158 fps, and the Super Kodiak 155. Out of the same bows, I was getting between 168-171 fps when I was shooting 550 grain arrows. I definitely had to re-learn trajectories with the much heavier arrow. They do make 25-30 yard shots harder for me, but inside of 20 I'm deadly accurate. I like the way they shoot.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:33 AM   #36
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigthumper View Post

Most of these guys shoot a lot better than me. I won't shoot at a deer past 15, and 10-12 is where I set up for. I did shoot a squirrel at 17 though lol!! I'm practicing at 20 and 25 a lot, just hoping that by next year if I had a good 20 yard opportunity I'd feel confident. But I'll still set up for 12 yards or so. If it's under 12 yards I'm 100% confident. And Bisch is being modest. I've seen him shoot and he could kill a hummingbird at 20 lol.
CRM_95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2017, 12:35 PM   #37
Tradman1971
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sonora (own 200 acres)

Regardless of the way you aim, i think one of the best ways to practice is to shoot one arrow and then put your bow down. Walk away for 10 minutes and then shoot another arrow. Repeat!
Tradman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #38
Shiloh
Four Point

What REALLY helped me was shooting groups with bare shafts that are tuned to the bow.
I stumbled across this one day by accident. It was a drizzly light rain day. That kind of aggravating drizzle that's just enough to make you need your windsheild wipers, but not enough for them to even be on the longest interval setting.
I felt lkke shooting so bad that day and was seeing my feathers getting gradually ruined. So I figured I'd shoot bareshaft groups. I made 6 matching bareshaft arrows and shot them for hours in the drizzle. What I quickly learned is that you have to pay very close attention to your bow hand grip when trying to group bareshafts. If you impart the slightest torque on the string (as a result of an uncompromising hold on the bow) you will not be able to geoup bareshafts well. Equally as important is consistency in the distribution of pressure imparted from the bow along your thumb or palm. You barely change it drom shot to shot and your bareshafts wont group tightly.
I assure you - put away the fletched arrows for a while and shoot groups with bare-shafts only over the next several sessions. After you figure out the demanding consistency of grip requirements to group them well - you will see a big improvement in your ability to group fletched shafts. It was very noticable for me. I still take my 6 bareshafts out and shoot them for groups to hone my skill.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #39
TxSportsman
Eight Point

I close my eyes

TxSportsman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2017, 08:31 PM   #40
Felix40
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public land

Fixed crawl for me. Its silly how accurate you can be using this method.
Felix40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2017, 11:12 PM   #41
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
What REALLY helped me was shooting groups with bare shafts that are tuned to the bow.
I stumbled across this one day by accident. It was a drizzly light rain day. That kind of aggravating drizzle that's just enough to make you need your windsheild wipers, but not enough for them to even be on the longest interval setting.
I felt lkke shooting so bad that day and was seeing my feathers getting gradually ruined. So I figured I'd shoot bareshaft groups. I made 6 matching bareshaft arrows and shot them for hours in the drizzle. What I quickly learned is that you have to pay very close attention to your bow hand grip when trying to group bareshafts. If you impart the slightest torque on the string (as a result of an uncompromising hold on the bow) you will not be able to geoup bareshafts well. Equally as important is consistency in the distribution of pressure imparted from the bow along your thumb or palm. You barely change it drom shot to shot and your bareshafts wont group tightly.
I assure you - put away the fletched arrows for a while and shoot groups with bare-shafts only over the next several sessions. After you figure out the demanding consistency of grip requirements to group them well - you will see a big improvement in your ability to group fletched shafts. It was very noticable for me. I still take my 6 bareshafts out and shoot them for groups to hone my skill.
The problem with that is then I have to fletch them again. And if you knew me you would know, I'm pretty lazy.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:47 PM   #42
Draco
Pope & Young

Quote:
That is why I tell people to hold that bow like it's trying to get away. The loose grip is the problem because you can put pressure in so many places. Grip it hard and solid and you won't have those problems. Try it, you may like it.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2017, 07:21 AM   #43
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
That is why I tell people to hold that bow like it's trying to get away. The loose grip is the problem because you can put pressure in so many places. Grip it hard and solid and you won't have those problems. Try it, you may like it.
This was a hard thing for me transitioning from a compound where it's just the opposite but it does indeed make a difference.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:57 AM   #44
Danielb89
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Madden View Post
Yep, burn a hole for your arrow to go in!!!
doesn't happen very much, does it? haha!
Danielb89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 PM   #45
Hunter Todd
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielb89 View Post
doesn't happen very much, does it? haha!
I've seen Randy shoot! It happens more times than not!
Old 03-09-2017, 07:31 PM   #46
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

I'm quite the opposite, a loose open grip helps with back tension a lot with me, helps with feel also

ghostgoblin22 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2017, 07:56 PM   #47
herd90
Four Point

Fixed crawl, both eyes open

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
herd90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2017, 10:23 PM   #48
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by herd90 View Post
Fixed crawl, both eyes open

That's how I used to get back to barracks on a liberty weekend.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:25 PM   #49
herd90
Four Point

Lol. Heard that!

herd90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2017, 11:21 PM   #50
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever I find a lease.