Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 01-23-2017, 08:09 PM   #1
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kimble and Coryell County
Default Knapping, all around general discussions.

Just thought with all the knappers and arrowhead collectors we have a general discussion thread on knapping would be appropriate. Ask questions, answer questions, show your work, ask questions, give advice, seek advice, pass along compliments. Plan knapp-ins, individual informal lessons, and possibly share some materials!
bassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2017, 08:11 PM   #2
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Here is the tread that got this idea rolling. Jason Fry started it so credit goes to him!
http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=626471
Old 01-23-2017, 08:14 PM   #3
bassmatt72
Ten Point

A thread I posted on some artifacts I found with some general knapping discussion in it.
http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=629672
Old 01-23-2017, 09:43 PM   #4
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Ok! Here we go! These were two of my very first points, from bottle bottoms. There is a cool way to pop out the bottom of a bottle using a big nail or bolt.
Name:  20170123_203329.jpg
Views: 1733
Size:  141.9 KB

Name:  20170123_204006.jpg
Views: 1737
Size:  66.6 KB
Old 01-24-2017, 08:29 AM   #5
Jason Fry
Eight Point

Hunt In: a tall tree

Here are a couple of things I had a hard time figuring out....

I grew up calling all arrowhead-ish rocks "flint." Within the knapping context, most of it is more properly called "chert." Academic, largely, and the words seem to be fairly interchangeable, but chert is more often the correct term.

You should read about Ishi. In the early 1900's, he came out of the hills and joined civilization. Much of what flint knappers now know regarding aboriginal techniques came from Ishi. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishi

A "platform" is the spot you hit or push in order to remove a flake off of the piece you are working. You'll hear this word a lot, because identifying and preparing good platforms is one of the critical skills to be a good knapper.

A "flake" is just about any small piece of rock that you chip off. There are multiple kinds of "flakes", and the nerds can tell you by looking at the flake what technique was used to produce it.

A "spall" is typically a large flake knocked off of a larger rock or "core". When you decide to buy rock from a knapping supply place, it often comes in spalls.
Jason Fry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
Jason Fry
Eight Point

Here is a set of progress pictures from a point I did on my lunch break. Start to finish, maybe 30 minutes. This material was from a cobble in the county road in front of my house. Small axis antler billet percussion and a copper tipped Ishi stick for pressure flaking.

Original spall, after just a few flakes to thin off the bulb of percussion.

After a bit more thinning.

All thinned out and shaped, just prior to notching.

Final result, both sides. Not a particularly well refined point, but quick and easy when you start from the right size and shape of flake.

Final point is about 2" long by 1 1/2" wide.

Last edited by Jason Fry; 01-24-2017 at 01:14 PM..
Old 01-24-2017, 01:08 PM   #7
Flint knapper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young/Archer Co.

If anyone knows of a place for a bunch of Knappers to get together during the spring or first part of the summer, I'd be willing to show up and bring some Obsidian!
Flint knapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2017, 01:10 PM   #8
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint knapper View Post
If anyone knows of a place for a bunch of Knappers to get together during the spring or first part of the summer, I'd be willing to show up and bring some Obsidian!
Cool! I'll see what I can find.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:09 PM   #9
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Fry View Post
...........I grew up calling all arrowhead-ish rocks "flint." Within the knapping context, most of it is more properly called "chert." Academic, largely, and the words seem to be fairly interchangeable, but chert is more often the correct term.....
I asked a knapping pro, he really is a pro and knows more about rocks and knapping than twenty average knappers!! Anyhow I asked him to "dumb it down" for me and this is in a nut shell what he explained. Very much like Jason said, Flint and Chert are basically the same. He mentioned that flints are actually a type of chert. He said basically for knappers cherts are a little more "grainy" and flints are much smoother and glassy.
The finer "flint" can be seen towards the outer ring in these nodules and the "chert" is towards the center and is alittle more cloudy in color.
Name:  FB_IMG_14699270632651.jpg
Views: 1598
Size:  76.4 KB
Old 01-25-2017, 07:24 PM   #10
Jason Fry
Eight Point

Pretty material. Georgetown?
Old 01-25-2017, 07:25 PM   #11
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Quote:
........A "platform" is the spot you hit or push in order to remove a flake off of the piece you are working. You'll hear this word a lot, because identifying and preparing good platforms is one of the critical skills to be a good knapper..........
A picture of two different platforms. One is outlined in yellow and both have a black dot for approximate location to strike or hit it. Knapping is all about angles (conchoidal fracture, example when a BB hit a window glass) and pressures. There are things that you have to do to get the "platform" at the correct angle and strong enough to handle the pressure that you are getting ready to put on it!
Name:  20170116_141618 - Copy.jpg
Views: 1583
Size:  158.0 KB

Name:  20170125_140835.jpg
Views: 1577
Size:  40.5 KB
Old 01-25-2017, 07:27 PM   #12
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Quote:
Pretty material. Georgetown?
Yes, I believe it is. The knapper I know sells a lot of Georgetown.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:24 PM   #13
Jason Fry
Eight Point

Paleomanjim has a whole bunch of knapping videos on youtube. If you're a beginner trying to learn knapping from the internet, you've absolutely got to start here.

https://www.youtube.com/user/paleoma...eature=autonav
Old 01-28-2017, 11:44 AM   #14
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Anyone knapping today? I have several things to do but I may get out and break some rock later.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:31 PM   #15
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

When and y do you cook cheat or flint or do you?
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2017, 07:37 PM   #16
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Didn't get any knapping done today, having family night, I'll post a little about cooking rocks early in the morning.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:42 PM   #17
Flint knapper
Ten Point

The reason you cook flint is to change the molecular level of the flint so it will allow you to remove flakes easier and with greater consistency!

I've never done it, but have seen people cook flint and change a gritty piece of chert into a really glassy high quality piece of flint!
Old 01-28-2017, 08:30 PM   #18
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2017, 10:33 PM   #19
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Exactly what Flint Knapper said. I'll look for some pictures.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:34 AM   #20
Neuse
Six Point

If ya'll have a get together I would like to knap with ya'll.
Neuse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2017, 06:56 AM   #21
Green
Eight Point

Have been working at knapping skills for the past few months. Much respect for the ancients. Haven't made but a few points.....mostly working on reduction techniques, skill, and strategies with abo tools. To those who teach, in person or on youtube, Thanks!
Green is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2017, 08:51 AM   #22
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Falcon View Post
When and y do you cook cheat or flint or do you?
Flint Knapper already said it, heat treating, "Cooking", cherts changes them to a "better" quality to knapp. An ok piece of material can be cooked and develop really nice workability, knapps better.
I cook my cherts in a turkey roaster I bought from Wal Mart for $40. If you get one try and find one that the temperature goes to 450. Here is how I do it, spall down your material if its thicker than 2". Pour a layer of clean dry sand in the bottom and start filling the roaster with chert and fill in the air spaces with sand as you go. When its full put the lid on and turn the roaster on to no more than 200, cook at 200 for 12-24 hrs more if the Chert is/has been cold/wet. In this stage I'll sometimes keep the lid just slightly open or occasionally open it to let the moisture out. You have to get the moisture out of the chert before you ramp up the temps or it with break the chert. After its dried put the lid on good and DON"T open it until finished! Next steps are to ramp the temps up no more than 50 degrees at a time until you get to your maximum temp you need. The central Texas stuff that need cooking does well if you can get it to 400-500. I have done well staying at each temp for a minimum of 2 hrs before ramping up to the next. When you get to your max temp let it cook for a long time, I have cooked chert at max temp for up to 36 hrs. If its cold outside I'll then ramp down temps quicker than up, 100 degrees every 1 1/2-2 hrs.; hot summertime I'll just turn of the roaster and let it sit. DO NOT OPEN for at least 24 hrs or more! Let it cool off slowly.
All this needs to be done outside, rocks put of fumes/gasses some of them smell bad and some could be harmful. Also the roaster puts off lots of heat. I even wrap mine in non backed fiberglass insulation to try and make it a little more efficient.
Experiment with your materials to find what works best for them. Write down your "recipes" and mark the chert so you know how it was cooked and can replicate it next time.
Name:  20161206_160452.jpeg
Views: 1342
Size:  53.3 KB
Old 01-29-2017, 09:01 AM   #23
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Material that is "grainy" or really hard can benefit from heat treating. This piece really improved with heat. It didn't get "glassy" but the knappability really improved.
Name:  20170129_080038.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  92.9 KB
This material doesn't need heat treating, its already really "glassy" and works well.
Name:  20170129_080025.jpg
Views: 1325
Size:  99.2 KB
Rough grainy...doesn't usually knapp well. Looks and feels like glass....usually good stuff! Both of these rock were picked up in Texas. I have a spot that with in a 1 mile area I can find five or six different qualities of chert. Some next to impossible to work and some really nice glassy stuff.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:46 AM   #24
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Thanks for all the information!
Old 01-31-2017, 06:28 AM   #25
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Heading to my Junction lease for a week! No computer and minimum phone service! I'm going to take my knapping stuff and I'll try and get some pics to add to the thread.
Anyone is welcome to post questions, ideas, and/or share their work or knowledge.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:42 PM   #26
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Looking for a place

I think every outdoorsmen should know basic napping skills. My stuff is nothing to look at but in a tight spot I can make basic cutting tools pretty fast. This thread makes me want to get back into it.
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2017, 02:27 PM   #27
Jason Fry
Eight Point

I worked down a palm-sized spall of Keokuk today on my lunch break. While I had no catastrophic failures, I struggled with getting thick enough thinning flakes, if that makes sense. By the time I ran out of width to work with, I was still too thick. I did end up with 7 or 8 good flakes that will make good bird points, however.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:47 PM   #28
Flint knapper
Ten Point

Two things I always consider when working different materials!
1. Make sure you have a good platform to work from!
2. If one kind of tool is not working, try and go to a different kind of tool!
For example: go from a antler billet to a hammer stone!
3. Changing the angle of the blow sometimes helps, or the side(mass) of the tool!
Old 02-01-2017, 03:33 PM   #29
Jason Fry
Eight Point

I broke up my good smaller hammer stone, need to find another. This was all antler billet today. I have noticed that my antler has changed shape a bit with some use. I've now got a wider flat side, and a narrower side. I did notice a change in the flakes by hitting it with the narrower vs. the flatter side.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:35 PM   #30
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Looks like Jason has been busy working, and I have been away at my Junction deer lease. I managed to do a little knapping while down there. I'm lucky that it has some really good quality material but unfortunately most of it has freeze cracks in it making a lot of it unusable or at the least brakes into small pieces. Well, my wife picked up this piece and I decided to try it.
Name:  20170201_141024.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  89.1 KB Name:  20170201_141027.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  130.4 KB
Name:  20170201_141031.jpg
Views: 1143
Size:  49.4 KB
Here is the thickest it was.
Name:  20170201_142325.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  92.5 KB
This material was really sweet and Knapped very nicely! I picked up a feed sac full of it! This is a rough preform I ended with before I headed back out to the stand to hunt.
Name:  20170201_143333.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  108.5 KBName:  20170201_143338.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  110.0 KB
Name:  20170201_143344.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  68.9 KB
Old 02-05-2017, 07:10 AM   #31
Neuse
Six Point

That nice, you have your own source for good flint.
Neuse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2017, 11:24 AM   #32
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuse View Post
That nice, you have your own source for good flint.
I am very lucky! I have one place that is a 50 minute drive(deer lease) and then this other deer lease near junction which is a 3 hour drive. The closer place has four or five different qualities of chert from not to good to real good and its all in medium to larger pieces with minimal freeze cracks. Junction is high quality material but is full of freeze cracks and mostly smaller pieces.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:46 PM   #33
Jon Stewart
Four Point

I am a Michigan knapper, been doing it for 5 years or so. Killed one deer with one of my Flintridge stone points. Wife and I are in New Mexico right now but heading to Texas at the end of the month to visit a Marine buddy who was shot and paralyzed in Viet Nam. He lives just north of San Antonio. Will be out looking for rock in Texas until I get thrown off the river bank, lol.

Be careful when cooking Texas rock. I use a turkey roaster and beach sand. I turn it on and turn it up 50 degrees every hour until it is on high and leave it go for round 6 hours and then turn it off and let it cool down for a few days not removing the lid. Texas rock will get real brittle and break like a piece of hard candy some times.

Google Art of Ishi, he is my teacher. Also check out you tube, Mike Cook (art of ishi) as he has some real good knapping vids.

I will be keeping an eye on this thread as I really enjoy making driveway gravel.
Jon Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2017, 10:53 PM   #34
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Jon, make sure and give me a shout when you get to Texas!
I think I have over cooked a batch or two! I've been too busy to do any knapping this past two weeks. Sure do wish I could get back to that last piece I started while at my deer lease!.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:21 PM   #35
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Very informative thread !
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-09-2017, 07:44 AM   #36
Jon Stewart
Four Point

Will do Bassmatt.

Don't forget the Fredrickburg knap in. It is a very good one and is held in March. Been there a few times BUT wife and I will be back in cold country when it takes place.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:06 PM   #37
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Sorry I have been busy the last several days and haven't been able to post much let alone do any knapping! I did snaps some pics...
Lets talk tools. I use "modern" copper tools and hammerstones some. All my tools are homebuilt.
First a quick pic of where I knapp, my back porch. It faces south and the sun sets nicely in the evenings making it a relatively warm and protected place to knapp in the early spring, fall and winter.
Name:  20170123_211315.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  52.4 KB
Two of the basic tools needed to start from a larger rough piece are your Bopper and abrader. My abrader is a piece of busted up common grinding wheel and other grinding wheels of various coarseness.
Name:  20170125_134327.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  192.2 KB
The abrader is like sandpaper on steroids for stone. We use them to remove areas of stone to thicken and strengthen platforms. Please ask questions if you have any.
Next Boppers, used to strike the platform to remove flakes, both large and small. My boppers are basic copper pipe caps that I have melted and filled half way with lead then attached to some type of handle. You can see I have wood and PVC pipe handles. The largest is 2" all the way down to 1/2", basically bigger tool bigger flakes of material removed- smaller bopper smaller flakes.
Name:  20170125_133809.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  153.4 KB
Old 02-09-2017, 09:09 PM   #38
bassmatt72
Ten Point

I think Jason uses some antler tools maybe he'll post some on his tools?
Old 02-09-2017, 09:17 PM   #39
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Two of my earlier points, a glass display shelf hafted to a faded whitetail antler. Not a very pretty or good piece but it is one of my firsts.
Name:  20170123_202302.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  18.5 KB
Next a generic knife blade from some type of a red glass. This one turned out pretty good with some nice looking flake scars?
Name:  20170123_205744.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  100.9 KB
Name:  20170123_205805.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  76.0 KB
Old 02-10-2017, 08:59 AM   #40
weminuche
Four Point

great finds
weminuche is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2017, 10:50 AM   #41
LiftAndShoot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kaufman County

I'm jealous of all you talented knappers. I've tried on multiple occasions to learn this discipline and one of two things always gets me - availability of knapable material, or my own horrendous coordination..
LiftAndShoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2017, 12:18 PM   #42
sweldo73
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Augustine / Sabine Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftAndShoot View Post
I'm jealous of all you talented knappers. I've tried on multiple occasions to learn this discipline and one of two things always gets me - availability of knapable material, or my own horrendous coordination..
As for the knappable material, there are several videos showing how to knap the bottom of a bottle and floor tiles - easy to come by.

As for you coordination, or lack thereof, you're on your on.
sweldo73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #43
Jon Stewart
Four Point

Bassmat, that red blade is a nice lanceolate type blade. One of my favorite's to knap because I don't have to try and notch it, lol
Old 02-10-2017, 07:23 PM   #44
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by weminuche View Post
great finds
Not finds, these are pieces we have done.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:25 PM   #45
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Stewart View Post
Bassmat, that red blade is a nice lanceolate type blade. One of my favorite's to knap because I don't have to try and notch it, lol
Thanks! I'm not to sharp on point types.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #46
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Going out to knapp, general plans....maybe a corner tang knife?
Name:  20170201_143333.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  108.5 KB
Name:  20170201_143338.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  110.0 KB
maybe some bird points out of these?
Name:  20170212_132607.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  168.1 KB
Name:  20170212_132617.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  143.1 KB
work these down into some finished rough bifaces?
Name:  20170212_132705.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  34.6 KB
Work this "turtle" down into a better biface?
Name:  20170212_132708.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  50.8 KB
Name:  20170212_132711.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  44.9 KB
Old 02-12-2017, 07:06 PM   #47
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Well.....No bird points today! I worked and got some bifaces done with lots of good workable flakes.
Name:  20170212_172209.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  78.8 KB
Here is one at the beginning and what it finished up as.
Name:  20170212_143215.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  60.1 KB Name:  20170212_143220.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  62.4 KB
Name:  20170212_151238.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  67.8 KBName:  20170212_151253.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  58.6 KB
Name:  20170212_151304.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  57.7 KB

Last edited by bassmatt72; 02-12-2017 at 07:14 PM..
Old 02-12-2017, 07:13 PM   #48
bassmatt72
Ten Point

I started on a really good piece but was messing it up so I switched to a different piece of lower quality, raw uncooked, tough central Texas chert. Not the best work but this raw chert is tough!!!
Name:  20170212_172318.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  20170212_172322.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  51.6 KB

Name:  20170212_182743.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  88.4 KB

Name:  20170212_182757.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  82.4 KB
Old 02-16-2017, 08:28 AM   #49
Jon Stewart
Four Point

been gathering dead/weather cholla for knife handles. Got 70 handle stock so far. Got to get them while I can as cholla doesn't grow in Michigan, lol
Old 02-16-2017, 07:06 PM   #50
bassmatt72
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Stewart View Post
been gathering dead/weather cholla for knife handles. Got 70 handle stock so far. Got to get them while I can as cholla doesn't grow in Michigan, lol
Cool! That's the same material as in your avatar?