Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Photography
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2017, 09:21 PM   #1
macoop
Ten Point
 
macoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lubbock
Default A couple for you waterfowl hunters

Found a big pile of geese, cranes, and ducks on the way to the ranch a few weeks back. I spotted Canada, Ross, one snow, mallards, pintails, and sandhill cranes. There weren't that many birds in this group but one day I bet there were 30,000 geese in one field just before getting to Post on top of the caprock. I'll see if I can find the pics but I had the wrong lens on my camera and you just can't get the magnitude of the number of birds that were there. I've never seen that many in one spot in my life.
Attached Images
  
macoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 09:23 PM   #2
be12hunt
Ten Point
 
be12hunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Lake Jackson, TX
Hunt In: Montell, TX
Default

Awesome pics
be12hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 09:30 PM   #3
macoop
Ten Point
 
macoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lubbock
Default

Like I said, I had the wrong lens on my camera when all of these guys took off. Imagine this amount of birds for over a mile long. It was deafening when they took off.
Attached Images
 
macoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 09:53 PM   #4
lanceodom
Ten Point
 
lanceodom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Houston
Hunt In: McMullen, Webb & Wilson County
Default

Very cool!
lanceodom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2017, 09:10 PM   #5
Vap
Eight Point
 
Vap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Alabama
Hunt In: L.A. Alabama
Default

Nice thanks for sharing
Vap is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2017, 11:22 PM   #6
Puncher51
Six Point
 
Puncher51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Merkel, Tx
Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties
Default

Besides the mule deer, my favorite thing when I lived on the South Plains was the waterfowl. Great shots!
Puncher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2017, 06:00 PM   #7
Trinity Outfitters
Eight Point
 
Trinity Outfitters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austin,TX
Default

Awesome. Miss those days.
Trinity Outfitters is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2017, 08:31 PM   #8
mudjeremy
Ten Point
 
mudjeremy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kingsville
Hunt In: llano- Uvalde
Default

Those are awesome
mudjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2017, 08:38 PM   #9
Tejasbacon
Four Point
 
Tejasbacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Somewhere near Dfw
Hunt In: Many places
Default

Nice
Tejasbacon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2017, 09:18 PM   #10
dauphlp
Four Point
 
dauphlp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Port Neches, Texas
Hunt In: Sutton county W Texas
Default

When I was a kid (in the 60's) I remember routinely seeing concentrations of geese like that that stretched for a couple of miles. Must have been in the 100's of thousands or million. This was along the Texas coast marshland and rice fields near the Louisiana border. Since then U S has created areas along their flight path to here that they can stop at and spend the winter. I haven't seen those numbers in decades.
dauphlp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2017, 08:29 AM   #11
Randallc
Spike
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default

Wow, that's a lot of birds.
Randallc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2017, 09:17 AM   #12
dauphlp
Four Point
 
dauphlp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Port Neches, Texas
Hunt In: Sutton county W Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauphlp View Post
When I was a kid (in the 60's) I remember routinely seeing concentrations of geese like that that stretched for a couple of miles. Must have been in the 100's of thousands or million. This was along the Texas coast marshland and rice fields near the Louisiana border. Since then U S has created areas along their flight path to here that they can stop at and spend the winter. I haven't seen those numbers in decades.
In the 50's I remember my dad and uncle hunting geese to put food on the table. They would come back with the truck bed level with geese. My mother came up with a way to clean them easier than plucking. The refineries around here discarded the wax they removed from the crude. She would melt a big pot of wax, dip the goose in it and let it dry then peal off the feathers like a coat.
dauphlp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #13
Ron
Pope & Young
 
Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kings Creek Golf Club, Kemp TX
Hunt In: USA, Concho County and S.E.Colorado
Default

Awesome pictures
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2017, 11:44 AM   #14
gander
Ten Point
 
gander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Beaumont
Hunt In: Beaumont
Default

I spy some really good looking Specks scattered in the top pic and a good looking Eaglehead Blue. Miss hunting up there, keep those coming.
gander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2017, 07:30 PM   #15
dauphlp
Four Point
 
dauphlp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Port Neches, Texas
Hunt In: Sutton county W Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macoop View Post
Found a big pile of geese, cranes, and ducks on the way to the ranch a few weeks back. I spotted Canada, Ross, one snow, mallards, pintails, and sandhill cranes. There weren't that many birds in this group but one day I bet there were 30,000 geese in one field just before getting to Post on top of the caprock. I'll see if I can find the pics but I had the wrong lens on my camera and you just can't get the magnitude of the number of birds that were there. I've never seen that many in one spot in my life.
Whats up with the second pic? Geese don't trail feet like that.
dauphlp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2017, 07:35 PM   #16
TallTexan
Pope & Young
 
TallTexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Silsbee
Hunt In: East Texas
Default A couple for you waterfowl hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauphlp View Post
Whats up with the second pic? Geese don't trail feet like that.
Those are not geese
TallTexan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2017, 07:37 PM   #17
Cantcatch5
Ten Point
 
Cantcatch5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tyler, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macoop View Post
Like I said, I had the wrong lens on my camera when all of these guys took off. Imagine this amount of birds for over a mile long. It was deafening when they took off.
That is awesome 4 bands in that bunch!😉
Cantcatch5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2017, 07:44 PM   #18
14JKURX
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Default

Nice pictures
14JKURX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2017, 11:16 AM   #19
macoop
Ten Point
 
macoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lubbock
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallTexan View Post
Those are not geese
The second picture is Sandhills cranes. If you look in the first picture you can see some Sandhills mixed in with the geese.
macoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com