Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Recipes

Old 12-21-2016, 05:45 PM   #1
Radar
Eight Point

Default Chicken and dumplins

I went on several pheasant hunts this year and have a good mess of pheasant. I would like to take some of the meat and make Pheasant and dumplins.
Can y'all help a brother out, I'm in need of a good recipe.
Thanks
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2016, 05:47 PM   #2
bowtechbandit
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas and Kansas

in!
I have a good pile of them as well. would love to make some dumplings with them
bowtechbandit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2016, 05:53 PM   #3
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I'd like to see a good pheasant and dumplings recipe as well. I came back with a load of birds from my preserve hunt in Kansas last month. Another good one to try is making a pheasant pot pie. (lots of recipes for it on the internet) I made one Sunday -- mmmmm, good!
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2016, 06:10 PM   #4
Radar
Eight Point

Pheasant dries out quickly when frying or baking it, I thought dumplins would be the way to go. I'm in for the pot pie recipe jerp.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2016, 06:19 PM   #5
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home

Cut the meat into chunks and cover with enough water to cover the meat. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic power and boil till meats done. Then add a can of evaporated milk and a stick of butter and more pepper to taste and simmer over med heat till butters all melted and it comes to a boil again. Then tear apart a can of cheap biscuits and toss into the mix and simmer at lower heat until the biscuits are done. I do it with chicken. Pheasant. Turkey. Nutria. It's all white meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2016, 06:39 PM   #6
McClain
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slew View Post
I do it with chicken. Pheasant. Turkey. Nutria. It's all white meat.
Ha, I was following you there buddy until the nutria part. Have skinned hundreds of them and their meat is about as dark red as you can get.
McClain is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2017, 02:55 PM   #7
carpet2
Spike

Yum!
carpet2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2017, 09:40 PM   #8
switchback
Ten Point

When I make chicken and dumplings I use the bisquick recipe on box. I also use chicken broth along with the broth from cooking the chicken. Bisquick will make a thicker broth not soupy. The way I like it. The next day if it's to thick just add a little water or chicken broth when heating up. Gotta have pepper in it for sure. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  35.1 KB
switchback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2017, 11:18 PM   #9
lmartin5
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan County, Kansas, Nebraska

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchback View Post
When I make chicken and dumplings I use the bisquick recipe on box. I also use chicken broth along with the broth from cooking the chicken. Bisquick will make a thicker broth not soupy. The way I like it. The next day if it's to thick just add a little water or chicken broth when heating up. Gotta have pepper in it for sure. Attachment 840591
Looking good!
lmartin5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2017, 11:45 PM   #10
Javelin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County

I will be in the minority but I love dumplings made from tortillas
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2017, 09:38 PM   #11
CADDOKILLER
Ten Point

Here is my recipe for chicken and dumplings... I don't know if this would be good with pheasant or not though as the pheasant does not have the fat in it necessary to make good dumplings

1 -whole hen (if all I can find is a fryer I might add a little chicken base as sometimes they do not give enough flavor)
1 -family sized package of Mary B's dumplings (walmart has them)
1 - can evaporated milk
3/4 cup flour (might need a little more or less depending on exactly how much broth you have left after cooking the chicken)
Salt
Pepper

Cut up the chicken and boil it in large pot until almost falling off the bone in a 8qt pot. Debone chicken and set aside. Strain the broth return it to the pot. Bring to a slight boil and drop in the dumplings. I usually cut them into 1/4ths before putting them in. Cook about 20 minutes. Add evaporated milk. Cook 5 minutes. Take 3/4 or so cup flour and add in some of the broth and stir until all the lumps are gone. Dump it into the big pot to thicken. Add chicken and cookh 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it sit for about a hour. For some reason the dumplings do not expand all the way until you do this. Eat and enjoy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited by CADDOKILLER; 03-14-2017 at 09:41 PM..
CADDOKILLER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2017, 09:36 PM   #12
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Here's a recipe for making them from "scratch" like Grandma used to make.

Ingredients:
Big fat hen
2 eggs
1 cup of flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
Touch of parsley
NOTE: we double the ingredients (flour, eggs, salt, pepper) to get enough for leftovers. You can triple or quadruple too depending on how much you want, but you will probably need a bigger pot.
1. Get a big hen and boil in salted/peppered/parsleyed water until cooked. Set aside to cool. When cool, bone the chicken and set the meat aside.
2. In a big bowl, beat the eggs, then add the flour, salt, and pepper and mix thoroughly.
3. Put the pot the chicken was cooked in on the stove to heat up while preparing the dumplings. Add chicken broth as needed to insure you have plenty of liquid to cook the dumplings. Bring to a slow boil. DO NOT skim the fat off the liquid!!! It is flavor!!!!
4. Roll the ball of dough out on a floured surface until about 1/8 to 1/4" thick.
5. Cut the dough into strips (I use a pizza cutter) about 1/2" to 3/4" wide and 4" long.
6. As you cut the strips, drop them into the boiling pot. When all the dumplings are in the pot, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until done. I don't know how long--but until the dumplings are firm.
7. Add the chicken to the dumplings, stir, and re-season to your taste. If the dumplings are a bit underdone, just cook a bit longer.

As with most "one-pot" meals, they are usually better the second day.

Last edited by dustoffer; 03-26-2017 at 09:40 PM..
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2017, 11:37 AM   #13
McClain
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoffer View Post

Ingredients:
Big fat hen
2 eggs
1 cup of flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
Touch of parsley
NOTE: we double the ingredients (flour, eggs, salt, pepper) to get enough for leftovers. You can triple or quadruple too depending on how much you want, but you will probably need a bigger pot.
1. Get a big hen and boil in salted/peppered/parsleyed water until cooked. Set aside to cool. When cool, bone the chicken and set the meat aside.
2. In a big bowl, beat the eggs, then add the flour, salt, and pepper and mix thoroughly.
3. Put the pot the chicken was cooked in on the stove to heat up while preparing the dumplings. Add chicken broth as needed to insure you have plenty of liquid to cook the dumplings. Bring to a slow boil. DO NOT skim the fat off the liquid!!! It is flavor!!!!
4. Roll the ball of dough out on a floured surface until about 1/8 to 1/4" thick.
5. Cut the dough into strips (I use a pizza cutter) about 1/2" to 3/4" wide and 4" long.
6. As you cut the strips, drop them into the boiling pot. When all the dumplings are in the pot, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until done. I don't know how long--but until the dumplings are firm.
7. Add the chicken to the dumplings, stir, and re-season to your taste. If the dumplings are a bit underdone, just cook a bit longer.

This sounds like the chicken and dumplings I grew up on -- flat dumplings that do not float. However, the slightly thickened broth/gravy was based on a light brown roux. Some good eats there!
McClain is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2017, 04:05 PM   #14
Voodoo
Six Point

Hunt In: Highway Medians

Mmmm goot!
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2017, 05:10 PM   #15
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

Love me some chicken n Dumplings on a cold rainy day.
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2017, 05:21 PM   #16
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoffer View Post

Ingredients:
Big fat hen
2 eggs
1 cup of flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
Touch of parsley

Yes ^^^
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2017, 04:35 PM   #17
bigblock78
Spike

Nice!
bigblock78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top