Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 11-17-2016, 09:44 PM   #51
careybirdwell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Rocksprings

I will be on a rifle hunt Dec 30th - Jan 1st. I did not have a chance to make the 6 hr drive to do any scouting, so if anyone could find it in their heart to throw a few scouting reports or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. I will be going at it by myself, so any help would be golden
careybirdwell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2016, 10:06 PM   #52
robie
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by careybirdwell View Post
I will be on a rifle hunt Dec 30th - Jan 1st. I did not have a chance to make the 6 hr drive to do any scouting, so if anyone could find it in their heart to throw a few scouting reports or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. I will be going at it by myself, so any help would be golden
Good luck. I'll be there a little after you. If you are on foot it sounds like you are going to be limited to driving down Country Road and parking and walking in, unless you really want to go for a hike. There are also designated parking areas for 6.
robie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2016, 10:11 PM   #53
careybirdwell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by robie View Post
Good luck. I'll be there a little after you. If you are on foot it sounds like you are going to be limited to driving down Country Road and parking and walking in, unless you really want to go for a hike. There are also designated parking areas for 6.
When I talked to the Ranger the other day, she told be that we would be able to drive down the road that runs between the refuge & Buena Vista Ranch. The one that run south to north on the east side of 8
Old 11-17-2016, 10:17 PM   #54
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Quote:
When I talked to the Ranger the other day, she told be that we would be able to drive down the road that runs between the refuge & Buena Vista Ranch. The one that run south to north on the east side of 8
Yeah that's "county road". It will take you most of the way to the north.
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2016, 10:21 PM   #55
careybirdwell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxnoodler View Post
Yeah that's "county road". It will take you most of the way to the north.
So I figure the refuge is only a about 4 miles east to west, so I was thinking driving down the county road, and walk in about 2 miles. I know I can pack out a Whitetail 2 miles, I don't know what I will do if I shoot a Nilgai

I have a bike but instead of taking a trailer for a bike. I have been thinking about a heavy duty wagon
Old 11-17-2016, 10:28 PM   #56
robie
Four Point

Quote:
So I figure the refuge is only a about 4 miles east to west, so I was thinking driving down the county road, and walk in about 2 miles. I know I can pack out a Whitetail 2 miles, I don't know what I will do if I shoot a Nilgai

I have a bike but instead of taking a trailer for a bike. I have been thinking about a heavy duty wagon
Trailer for your bike or wagon either should both do the trick. One will require smaller pieces to bring it out in.

I've never been down either, this is just what I've gathered from the forums and google earth scouting.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:30 PM   #57
careybirdwell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Trailer for your bike or wagon either should both do the trick. One will require smaller pieces to bring it out in.

I've never been down either, this is just what I've gathered from the forums and google earth scouting.
Are you planning on hunting the fields or the brush. I have never done a spot & stalk style of hunting. I have a 7Rem Mag that I'm taking for hunting the fields but I also have been thinking about taking my 30-30 and hunting the brush like I would if I was bow hunting
Old 11-17-2016, 11:00 PM   #58
robie
Four Point

It all depends on how thick that brush is, and that's difficult to judge from google earth. I've got a few of both marked on my map that look like they might have potential.

Always pay attention to the wind if you are going to spot and stalk.

For nilgai, I've always read find a water source, fresh dung pile or the roads.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:08 PM   #59
DaFountainBow
Four Point

Hunt In: TEXAS

Quote:
I have a feeling we are looking at some similar areas. Looks like it is a good 3 miles over there depending on which gates are open.

How are you planning on biking with your bow? Attached to backpack?

I've been looking at option for my gun, not sure I want to buy a mount for my handle bars or not.

I have the same set up as Reaper. I also have a game cart that I strapped to the back of the bike. I normally would just hike this type of thing but I figured why not at least try the the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DaFountainBow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2016, 09:01 PM   #60
DJSegura
Nubbin' Buck

give me a call?
got drawn as well
thanks david
DJSegura is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2016, 09:04 PM   #61
DJSegura
Nubbin' Buck

My buddy and I were drawn for this weekend hunt.
leaving Thursday morning. We will be in a Black Ford excursion.
Anyone want to chat and coordinate please call me at 512-653-0788
david
DJSegura is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2016, 09:27 PM   #62
robie
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSegura View Post
My buddy and I were drawn for this weekend hunt.
leaving Thursday morning. We will be in a Black Ford excursion.
Anyone want to chat and coordinate please call me at 512-653-0788
david

Best of luck! I've still got to wait a few more weekends before its my turn.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:25 PM   #63
careybirdwell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSegura View Post
give me a call?
got drawn as well
thanks david
I will be heading that way on Thursday as well. I will put your number in my phone. I will be in a Black Dodge 1500 4x4
Old 12-27-2016, 07:29 PM   #64
mikeyb_23
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pleasanton, Public land

Did anyone go one the first two rifle hunts? Wonder how they went?
mikeyb_23 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2016, 01:35 AM   #65
careybirdwell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
Did anyone go one the first two rifle hunts? Wonder how they went?
This was posted on the archery thread

Old 12-28-2016, 12:06 PM   #66
mikeyb_23
Ten Point

That seems like a lot of hunters piled in 8 with rifles
Old 12-28-2016, 05:05 PM   #67
careybirdwell
Pope & Young

Quote:
That seems like a lot of hunters piled in 8 with rifles
It is definitely the easy to get in & out. If everyone shows up, should be about 33 hunter per weekend
Old 12-28-2016, 10:35 PM   #68
Codybarron
Nubbin' Buck

My group got here today will be in a white f-350 ford . It sure doesn't feel like Dec !!!!
Codybarron is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2016, 12:08 AM   #69
robie
Four Point

How is the hunt going?
Old 12-30-2016, 11:04 AM   #70
mikeyb_23
Ten Point

I'll be down there next wed night, can't wait.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:05 PM   #71
careybirdwell
Pope & Young

Quote:
How is the hunt going?
I don't know if anyone got shot off, but I heard several people say that they saw deer & nilgai but just so far away. I think the wind kept a lot of animals bedded up. It was pretty strong still today

Myself, I biked around the back scouting for the weekend early and finally set up under some brush about 12:30. I saw 2 does & 2 javelina while biking. Once I got set up, I saw 2 bobcats, 2 more javelin, and a 6 pt right about deer-thirty. The javelinas walked about 4 ft from me & freaked out when it realized I was there. 1 on the bobcats was about 20 yards in front on me, and I got a great video of it strolling down the road.

Also, when everyone was entering this morning when they unlocked the gate, a big & wide 10pt jumped the fence and headed into the brush
Old 12-31-2016, 09:57 AM   #72
mikeyb_23
Ten Point

Quote:
I don't know if anyone got shot off, but I heard several people say that they saw deer & nilgai but just so far away. I think the wind kept a lot of animals bedded up. It was pretty strong still today

Myself, I biked around the back scouting for the weekend early and finally set up under some brush about 12:30. I saw 2 does & 2 javelina while biking. Once I got set up, I saw 2 bobcats, 2 more javelin, and a 6 pt right about deer-thirty. The javelinas walked about 4 ft from me & freaked out when it realized I was there. 1 on the bobcats was about 20 yards in front on me, and I got a great video of it strolling down the road.

Also, when everyone was entering this morning when they unlocked the gate, a big & wide 10pt jumped the fence and headed into the brush
How windy is it down there?
Old 12-31-2016, 10:02 AM   #73
careybirdwell
Pope & Young

Yesterday, 15-25, thus morning nothing. There have been about 5 shots this morning. Someone just shot 3 times just about 5 minutes ago.

I had a Lil 4pt walk in front of me earlier, but I got to find a better location that I can cover more ground. I can only see them as they cross the road, 2 steps off and I loose them in the brush
Old 01-01-2017, 06:42 PM   #74
mikeyb_23
Ten Point

How's the hunting?
Old 01-01-2017, 10:54 PM   #75
careybirdwell
Pope & Young

Quote:
How's the hunting?
It was good for a couple of guy. The was a really nice 10pt shot, a big 300lb Nilgai cow and a 250lb Nilgai bull. I hunted until 11 this morning and decided to make the 7 hr. trip back to Houston.

I didn't shoot anything but I had my chances on a few small Whitetail bucks and even had a good wide 8pt. within 60 yards this morning but let him walk because I didn't fill like messing with him on the last day. I basically was after a trophy whitetail or a Nilgai. I had a 5 second glimpse a big Nilgai bull at 200 yards, but he crossed the road and was back in the brush before I could set the binoculars down & pick up the rifle. I had fun and learned a few things to better myself if I ever get picked again
Old 01-01-2017, 10:57 PM   #76
careybirdwell
Pope & Young

This was the board as of 12 today, I don't know how it ended up

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2017, 11:09 PM   #77
casilva43
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
This was the board as of 12 today, I don't know how it ended up

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Thanks for the update. I'll be making the ten hour drive down in two weeks
casilva43 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2017, 11:12 PM   #78
casilva43
Ten Point

Looks like 8 got hunted hard again!
Old 01-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #79
mikeyb_23
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by casilva43 View Post
Looks like 8 got hunted hard again!
Yep, looks like hardly anything has came out of 5 this year. I was down there 2 years ago and a group did real good over in 5.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:06 AM   #80
cva34
Six Point

Hunt In: Vienna ,Tx

Hunted it 20y or so ago..Bikes ok ...But if it rains and roads get wet Mud sticks to tires and gets stuck between fender and tire to a point of no movement..
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2017, 10:08 AM   #81
Whitetail83
Eight Point

Just found out I was drawn for the Jan 20-22 rifle Nilgai hunt. Never been down to the Atascosa or hunted Nilgai. Couple of questions... Do they have assigned blind locations or can the hunter free range? Also, is a .270 with a 150 grain Barnes or Nosler an ethical choice or should I take my .308 with a 180 grain? Any idea what the average shot distance is? Thanks, Matt.
Whitetail83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2017, 10:40 AM   #82
careybirdwell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yep, looks like hardly anything has came out of 5 this year. I was down there 2 years ago and a group did real good over in 5.
I hunted 5 the first day & the second morning and I was the only one back there. I saw a few doe while biking. While sitting, I saw 6pt buck, 4pt buck, a big Nilgai bull, 2 bobcats, a 4 javelin. I honestly think unit 5 has the easiest access on a bike except going north to Horse Island.

My biggest mistake was that I wore myself out the first day. I rode 7 miles on my bike and walked 2 miles. I was plan on hunting around tanks, so I rode west in 5 toward 3 and everything I googled earth, I just didn't like and when I would set down in some brush, I wouldn't even be able the see a whitetail walking through the area because of the brush was so high. So I rode back east to the Horse Island area, road was a little soft because of the rain the day before when I got to the Mudflats the strong north wind must have been gusty at 30-40 mph across the flats, I decided to keep going, but after another mile the wind was still howling, so I decided to go back where I came from, and just set off the road a bit.

When I say, I wore myself out, I'm 51 and I wasn't physical tired , but the beating my butt took form the bike seat, I couldn't hardly use it anymore after the first day. I guess you can say I had saddle sores. The first day I bike 7 miles, walked 2, the 2nd day I walked 6 miles, biked 2, and the 3rd. I walked 2 miles. I never got tired or winded, but my body was a little sore from the beating the bike gave me
Old 01-02-2017, 10:50 AM   #83
careybirdwell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail83 View Post
Just found out I was drawn for the Jan 20-22 rifle Nilgai hunt. Never been down to the Atascosa or hunted Nilgai. Couple of questions... Do they have assigned blind locations or can the hunter free range? Also, is a .270 with a 150 grain Barnes or Nosler an ethical choice or should I take my .308 with a 180 grain? Any idea what the average shot distance is? Thanks, Matt.
I took a 300 win mag but I think the 270 or 308 would work. Especially since most of the Nilgai taken on the refuge are not big in size. That said I would take the 308 just in case you do see that big one. The nilgai I saw was at 200 yards, I walked the area where everyone kept saying they were seeing them and you could see out to 500-600 yards. And most sighting they said was out that far. No assign blind, it is a free for all, in which most people hunt 8 because it is the easiest to get to, but I also think it has the best habitat for the deer & Nilgai. I didn't make it to unit 3 or 2
Old 01-02-2017, 12:25 PM   #84
Whitetail83
Eight Point

Quote:
I took a 300 win mag but I think the 270 or 308 would work. Especially since most of the Nilgai taken on the refuge are not big in size. That said I would take the 308 just in case you do see that big one. The nilgai I saw was at 200 yards, I walked the area where everyone kept saying they were seeing them and you could see out to 500-600 yards. And most sighting they said was out that far. No assign blind, it is a free for all, in which most people hunt 8 because it is the easiest to get to, but I also think it has the best habitat for the deer & Nilgai. I didn't make it to unit 3 or 2
Thank you
Old 01-03-2017, 02:15 PM   #85
chancito1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction/South Texas

Quote:
Borrow a larger caliber if you can. We have taken a few monster bulls off the refuge. 308 won't cut it on a big boy. I've guided for them the ranches minimum was 7 mag. We use .338 with 225 gr which does the job well but still won't drop a big bull. Cows and smaller Bulls 308 will handle it. Hunted Laguna for over 20 years, you want to drop a nilgai as soon as possible, farther from the road you are the more trips you have to make and a big bull can run a long ways after shot. We broke carts, wagons and all kinds of stuff trying to get a big one out whole. Still haven't been able to do it without multiple people or multiple trips. My buddy and his son hunted together last year one had 25-06, the other 30-06, 8 shots all in vitals before he went down for good. Big bulls are tough as nails just get them down soon as possible. Good luck! Btw, most people are drawn to 8 because you can actually see what's going on. The biggest bull we ever shot was in the thickest nastiest brush you could imagine. Good Luck!
chancito1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2017, 05:36 PM   #86
Whitetail83
Eight Point

Thanks. Where should I head instead of 8?

Old 01-03-2017, 05:46 PM   #87
mikeyb_23
Ten Point

I'm heading down there tomorrow, hoping the rain holds off on Friday.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:51 PM   #88
Whitetail83
Eight Point

Quote:

Cool. Nilgai? Post updates!

Old 01-03-2017, 05:56 PM   #89
robie
Four Point

Quote:
Good luck.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:08 PM   #90
mikeyb_23
Ten Point

Quote:
Cool. Nilgai? Post updates!

We are going for whatever steps out that is legal.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:32 PM   #91
JFRITZ06
Four Point

Hunt In: New Mexico/Texas/Colorado

Quote:
I was also drawn for the Jan 20-22 hunt. How often are the "big bulls" seen? It seems that several younger animals and cows are being harvested. Are the bigger bulls held up in the heavy brush or do they stay out of range on the salt flats? What would be the best strategy for hunting a mature bull?
Thanks
JFRITZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 08:30 PM   #92
Mac5858
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Victoria TX

I was down last weekend with 2 buddy's for the third rifle hunt. None of us had ever hunted here before. The first day we saw 10 nilgai between the 3 of us. They were all way out in the fields. The second morning, we all 3 killed animals in the first hour. We killed two whitetails and a nilgai. It was a great hunt and I hope to do it again some day.

Mac5858 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 08:38 PM   #93
mikeyb_23
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac5858 View Post
I was down last weekend with 2 buddy's for the third rifle hunt. None of us had ever hunted here before. The first day we saw 10 nilgai between the 3 of us. They were all way out in the fields. The second morning, we all 3 killed animals in the first hour. We killed two whitetails and a nilgai. It was a great hunt and I hope to do it again some day.

That's awesome, what unit did yall hunt?
Old 01-04-2017, 08:38 PM   #94
casilva43
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac5858 View Post

May I ask what unit? How are the mosquitos and chiggers? Heard they are terrible? What
Old 01-04-2017, 08:42 PM   #95
Mac5858
Nubbin' Buck

We were in section 8 the entire time. We hunted around the creek beds. Not mosquitos or chigger, but the animals were covered in ticks. They are really serious about that so make sure you take a tarp like the rules state. I've gotta get to 5 post before it will let me post pics. I killed a really nice 10pt.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:44 PM   #96
Mac5858
Nubbin' Buck

Old 01-04-2017, 08:46 PM   #97
casilva43
Ten Point

Are you talking about the water that splits unit 3 & 8?
Old 01-04-2017, 08:47 PM   #98
Whitetail83
Eight Point

Wow! Nice Buck!

Old 01-04-2017, 08:47 PM   #99
casilva43
Ten Point

That's a stud!
Old 01-04-2017, 08:48 PM   #100
Mac5858
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by casilva43 View Post
Are you talking about the water that splits unit 3 & 8?
Yes. There isn't any water in those lakes.