Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 11-23-2016, 10:58 AM   #151
robie
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxnoodler View Post
FYI they want the whole hide and head brought to the check station. Hide dosnt need to touch cart/ truck. That's why they require the tarp
Someone posted on here that you don't need to take the whole hide that it could be a section of it for testing.

Anyone confirmed that?
robie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2016, 11:02 AM   #152
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Check station said bring whole hide and head.
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2016, 01:00 PM   #153
ajcarricktx
Eight Point

Hunt In: Fort hood, any were else I can access

Good luck to the next group and yes permithian is you friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ajcarricktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2016, 03:20 PM   #154
robie
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxnoodler View Post
Check station said bring whole hide and head.
Thank you.
robie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2016, 07:16 AM   #155
onthetake
Four Point

250 permits for this hunt at $130.00 each. $32500.00 for 3 calves and 2 cow nilgia. Refuge made $6500.00 per nilgia. 2% hunter sucess rate. 100% refuge manager sucess rate.
onthetake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2016, 07:49 AM   #156
Heathbar_tx
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by robie View Post
Someone posted on here that you don't need to take the whole hide that it could be a section of it for testing.

Anyone confirmed that?
Ranger told us if we got one not to skin it but you could quarter it. He said they wanted it that way and would help you skin it when they are done. This is for the FDA not the park.
Heathbar_tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2016, 07:50 AM   #157
Heathbar_tx
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthetake View Post
250 permits for this hunt at $130.00 each. $32500.00 for 3 calves and 2 cow nilgia. Refuge made $6500.00 per nilgia. 2% hunter sucess rate. 100% refuge manager sucess rate.
I think they would have better success rates if they had fewer permits hunting at a time.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:13 AM   #158
onthetake
Four Point

For years it was 600 permits per hunt. Then dropped to 400. Now 250. Sucess rate has not improved by allowing less hunters. It is the unsuccessful hunters are the ones who keep driving the "allow less hunters" narrative. The refuge is staff has happily decreased the number of permits and increased the cost. For them it means less work, more money, fewer animals taken.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:13 AM   #159
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathbar_tx View Post
I think they would have better success rates if they had fewer permits hunting at a time.
No it won't. It's just a hard hunt.
BigRed323 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2016, 08:17 AM   #160
Heathbar_tx
Four Point

Quote:
For years it was 600 permits per hunt. Then dropped to 400. Now 250. Sucess rate has not improved by allowing less hunters. It is the unsuccessful hunters are the ones who keep driving the "allow less hunters" narrative. The refuge is staff has happily decreased the number of permits and increased the cost. For them it means less work, more money, fewer animals taken.
I didnt say les permits total just add more dates as there were a lot of people ruining hunts for other people. It also wouldnt change the amount of work as they did nothing after the first day and only passed out forms to the ones who didnt print theirs out.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:29 AM   #161
gemini2759
Six Point

Hunt In: Hither and yonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed323 View Post
No it won't. It's just a hard hunt.
X2. This hunt not for the weekend warriors.
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2016, 10:39 AM   #162
DaFountainBow
Four Point

Hunt In: TEXAS

Quote:

Did they track whitetail? Curious how many deer were taken...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DaFountainBow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-24-2016, 10:58 AM   #163
onthetake
Four Point

This was the nilgia/hog only hunt. The next 2 hunts will include deer. Yes they will keep a log on the same chalk board. The chalk board will have all deer/nilgia/hog kills listed in the order they are brought in. Generally 1 maybe 2 good bucks harvested during a Archery hunt. Fawns and young bucks make up the majority of the deer harvest.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:09 AM   #164
rsquared
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

for what it is worth, I saw 28 nilgai, had 4 in bow range, took two shots, and hit one, but it bounced off her shoulder. there were plenty of nilgai, but not enough smart hunters. I spent a lot of time trying to educate novice "primetime walkers"

I would definitely go back. the only reason I didn't have a dead nilgai was a some poor execution on my part and a little bit of tough luck.
I had bow range nilgai via spot and stalk, sit still for hours, and thru dumb luck.
rsquared is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2016, 10:37 AM   #165
GBludau
Four Point

Hunt In: Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsquared View Post
for what it is worth, I saw 28 nilgai, had 4 in bow range, took two shots, and hit one, but it bounced off her shoulder. there were plenty of nilgai, but not enough smart hunters. I spent a lot of time trying to educate novice "primetime walkers"

I would definitely go back. the only reason I didn't have a dead nilgai was a some poor execution on my part and a little bit of tough luck.
I had bow range nilgai via spot and stalk, sit still for hours, and thru dumb luck.
Thanks for sharing your sightingd. **** the luck though. 4 nilgai in bow range, what distance do you consider bow range?

I'm shooting out to 70yds.
GBludau is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2016, 08:51 AM   #166
billfromtx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed323 View Post
Your biggest enemy are the seed ticks out there. I've never had chiggers out there but the ticks can be horrendous.

I thought one year my legs were dirty so I didn't pay any attention to the brownish color. By the time I knew it, hundreds had crawled all over my body and I spent the next day with a fever and chills. Permethrin is a must have.
Thanks
I hunted there years ago but it was cold and ticks and chiggers weren't a concern...I was told when I was down a few weeks ago scouting that a few of the folks had gotten into chiggers real bad. I'll be prepared for that.
billfromtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2016, 10:50 AM   #167
rsquared
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
Thanks for sharing your sightingd. **** the luck though. 4 nilgai in bow range, what distance do you consider bow range?

I'm shooting out to 70yds.

i had one at 8 yds that i surprised in a really thick patch of brush, 2 at 30 yds and 1 at 50 yds..

the first day, nilgai were walking edges of fields and would have allowed close contact, but by second day, they went right down the middle of fields
rsquared is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2017, 07:04 PM   #168
jbw899
Nubbin' Buck

Default Anyone else kill a nilgai?

Just curious if anyone else had any luck on the archery hunt? I was down there the weekend after Thanksgiving and was lucky enough to kill a bull. It was a really tough hunt and only a couple of nilgai were killed during my hunt.
jbw899 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top