Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 11-20-2016, 10:28 PM   #101
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintgunner74 View Post
right shoulder should have been exit. I literally think I punched both front shoulders. I was trying to rip it the front of the left shoulder and should have come out just behind the right shoulder, she spooked not sure what she saw. But she tried to turn and it looked like arrow went straight through both shoulders. I honestly thought she went down about 80yds out and I could see her just standing there and acting sick, then she took off walking. as she turned I swore I saw broadhead sticking out and felt it was a bit high. But should be in left shoulder out the right. no buzzards went this morning listening for coyotes, nada, literally followed her tracks from point of shot for about 250yds in the mud. Never found blood. I think I might have gone way forward and if so may have missed all things super vital.

Not real happy with myself.

Prod if you go to the area I am in, and go 1.4 miles around you will be within 300yds of the exact spot I was in. I have multiple friends heading down this next week so I am not gonna give up much info. Besides the place is overrun with game. I have seen two bulls and five cows since I got here wed. last bull was standing in area two in the lil strip of brush all the way down in the corner by one as far as the refuge goes, he was trying to hide at about 1pm today.

I google earthed some spots, find a dung pile that is close to trail you can't miss their trails. set up there as far back in the shadows as you can get and don't move. I have never seen animals as skittish as them. draw early and hold it, I drew when she was over 90yds out and just waited for her to come stand by the yucca that I knew was 27yards. I still hunted yesterday in the wind and saw a ton of nice deer and all manner of hogs, but I leave the motel at 4:45 and I don't get back until around 7 or 8. Pack a lunch and spend the day in their. that is about the only advice I can give. first time here.
They are tough as heck man. Few years back there was a cow running around with a couple of arrows sticking out her.

I shot a cow that ended being pregnant at our lease one year. Got a great double lung shot with a 30-06 and she still managed to make a 100 yard dash into the brush.
BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2016, 10:45 PM   #102
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

I wouldn't give any details on areas if I were you. It usually comes back and bites you in the butt.... It must not be the one I saw today. Didn't see left side but right side had a hole high in the shoulder. With dried blood below. She wasn't even limping.
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2016, 10:55 PM   #103
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kimble & Fayette county. And now Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintgunner74 View Post
right shoulder should have been exit. I literally think I punched both front shoulders. I was trying to rip it the front of the left shoulder and should have come out just behind the right shoulder, she spooked not sure what she saw. But she tried to turn and it looked like arrow went straight through both shoulders. I honestly thought she went down about 80yds out and I could see her just standing there and acting sick, then she took off walking. as she turned I swore I saw broadhead sticking out and felt it was a bit high. But should be in left shoulder out the right. no buzzards went this morning listening for coyotes, nada, literally followed her tracks from point of shot for about 250yds in the mud. Never found blood. I think I might have gone way forward and if so may have missed all things super vital.

Not real happy with myself.

Prod if you go to the area I am in, and go 1.4 miles around you will be within 300yds of the exact spot I was in. I have multiple friends heading down this next week so I am not gonna give up much info. Besides the place is overrun with game. I have seen two bulls and five cows since I got here wed. last bull was standing in area two in the lil strip of brush all the way down in the corner by one as far as the refuge goes, he was trying to hide at about 1pm today.

I google earthed some spots, find a dung pile that is close to trail you can't miss their trails. set up there as far back in the shadows as you can get and don't move. I have never seen animals as skittish as them. draw early and hold it, I drew when she was over 90yds out and just waited for her to come stand by the yucca that I knew was 27yards. I still hunted yesterday in the wind and saw a ton of nice deer and all manner of hogs, but I leave the motel at 4:45 and I don't get back until around 7 or 8. Pack a lunch and spend the day in their. that is about the only advice I can give. first time here.
Thanks for the report. Now I can't wait to get out there. Sorry about losing the cow. Hope you get a second chance
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2016, 07:38 AM   #104
PROD49
Six Point

Hunt In: Junction Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed323 View Post
AKA give me the information to the exact spot you were hunting....lol
Ha, yea..i guess you could create that narrative based on limited information i gave. I was actually genuine in my comment which i get is a rarity in this world.
PROD49 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2016, 08:06 AM   #105
Brown E
Four Point

Anyone know what the success rate of being drawn for this hunt is? Which units?
Brown E is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2016, 09:17 AM   #106
DaFountainBow
Four Point

Hunt In: TEXAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown E View Post
Anyone know what the success rate of being drawn for this hunt is? Which units?

You are not assigned units. You can figure out the draw success ratio by checking out the TPWD website hunt system and look at last years numbers. It shows applicants and permits available. Just divide it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DaFountainBow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2016, 09:48 AM   #107
erbica0430
Four Point

Hunt In: tx nm
Default Laguna

Laguna hunt..many bike miles and beautiful sunrises and sun sets. 15 yard shot..
Attached Images

erbica0430 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2016, 10:25 AM   #108
BigRed323
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbica0430 View Post
Laguna hunt..many bike miles and beautiful sunrises and sun sets. 15 yard shot..
You are a public land killing machine man!

Congrats
Old 11-21-2016, 11:38 AM   #109
erbica0430
Four Point

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:22 PM   #110
gemini2759
Six Point

Hunt In: Hither and yonder

Quote:
Nice one. Good viddles there. Congrats
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #111
JackRyan
Four Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Congrats! Way to go!
JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2016, 01:43 PM   #112
rsquared
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

Great kill Herbey
And thanks for letting us eat a little of it for dinner
rsquared is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2016, 03:12 PM   #113
coachwhip
Eight Point

Well we're in the 8th inning of the hunt and it's been a great time even if we don't kill. Got to hand out with some great guys share some good stories and awesome food thanks to Herbie and Jay! Here are a few pixels from the weekend you guys on the next hunt, we left a few for you!Name:  IMG_2805.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  66.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2729.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  103.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2690.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  54.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2692.jpg
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2691.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  54.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2814.jpg
Size:  93.2 KB
coachwhip is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2016, 06:34 PM   #114
Dtapping-zombie
Four Point

Quote:

Congrats!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dtapping-zombie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #115
DaFountainBow
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtapping-zombie View Post
Congrats!!!

Nice job! I can't wait until dec 2

Old 11-22-2016, 08:54 AM   #116
Salt & Pepper
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: S. Texas

Great job..!!!
Salt & Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2016, 09:00 AM   #117
robie
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

Congrats on the hunt!
robie is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2016, 12:00 PM   #118
gemini2759
Six Point

Here's a picture of the board at 11:30 today. Only 5 nilgai. Tough hunt you guys. Name:  IMG_20161122_113646715.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  39.1 KB

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2016, 12:02 PM   #119
katy_oilman
Four Point

Wow! Less than I thought. I wonder if they will keep track of deer too starting next weekend.

katy_oilman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2016, 12:07 PM   #120
gemini2759
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy_oilman View Post
Wow! Less than I thought. I wonder if they will keep track of deer too starting next weekend.

They usually do.

Also, for those hunting by themselves, they have three brand new game carts you can check out if you need help. I'm sure you have ride back to hunter check station to get one.

I'm setting up my tripod Thursday morning and hunting Friday, but will report on the LA archery deer thread.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:10 PM   #121
katy_oilman
Four Point

That would be appreciated. We are down for the 2-6 and will do the same - set up Thursday and scout a little more as well. We scouted a total of 26 miles across 5 different sections a couple of weekends ago, but still wanted to check a couple more spots out. We have two or three really solid spots based on signs but can't have enough because a couple will be heavily dependent on the wind that day

Old 11-22-2016, 12:26 PM   #122
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Be prepared for a lot of idiots that think they are gonna spot and stalk, and dont have a clue how to hunt.. Doubt most of them could sneak within bow range of an armidillo.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:05 PM   #123
DaFountainBow
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxnoodler View Post
Be prepared for a lot of idiots that think they are gonna spot and stalk, and dont have a clue how to hunt.. Doubt most of them could sneak within bow range of an armidillo.

Did it seem pretty crowded? I am a little concerned with 250 permits that I am going to continuously be bumping into people out there. Especially if people are not allowed to mark spots. Thoughts?

Old 11-22-2016, 01:08 PM   #124
billfromtx
Pope & Young

Did anyone get eat up by chiggers?
billfromtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #125
Dtapping-zombie
Four Point

I'll be arriving early Thursday morning to scout and setup my blind and then hunt Friday-Tuesday.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:15 PM   #126
PROD49
Six Point

Hunt In: Junction Texas

I am as well
PROD49 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2016, 02:19 PM   #127
katy_oilman
Four Point

Same except I'll have to bugger out Monday afternoon. I have another hunt starting Tuesday at Brazos Bend.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:26 PM   #128
GBludau
Four Point

Hunt In: Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties

My group will be down on the 30th.
I'm also curious how crowded it felt, I guess we will have to wait and hear from the first archery deer hunters on that for a better understanding.

Does anyone know if the LA headquarters will give answer to how many permits were purchased for each respective hunts? 100+, 150+, 200+?
GBludau is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2016, 02:28 PM   #129
BigRed323
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFountainBow View Post
Did it seem pretty crowded? I am a little concerned with 250 permits that I am going to continuously be bumping into people out there. Especially if people are not allowed to mark spots. Thoughts?

If you stay close to the roads, you're almost guaranteed to have people up on you. When I first started hunting out there, I had all kinds of people walking around during the best hunting hours. I had a tripod set up on a worn down trail and had a guy come walking down the trail crouching like if he thought he was actually tracking an animal.

Also, you don't want to mark where your spot is because will hunt your stands. It's happened in the past.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:31 PM   #130
BigRed323
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by billfromtx View Post
Did anyone get eat up by chiggers?
Your biggest enemy are the seed ticks out there. I've never had chiggers out there but the ticks can be horrendous.

I thought one year my legs were dirty so I didn't pay any attention to the brownish color. By the time I knew it, hundreds had crawled all over my body and I spent the next day with a fever and chills. Permethrin is a must have.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:48 PM   #131
DaFountainBow
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed323 View Post
If you stay close to the roads, you're almost guaranteed to have people up on you. When I first started hunting out there, I had all kinds of people walking around during the best hunting hours. I had a tripod set up on a worn down trail and had a guy come walking down the trail crouching like if he thought he was actually tracking an animal.

Also, you don't want to mark where your spot is because will hunt your stands. It's happened in the past.

Thanks for the info...I have always gone far back in, my concern is that with it being crowded I would risk walking thru someone heading back out that has decided to stay close to the road. Because I **** sure ain't walking 1 mile through unfamiliar woods after dark.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:52 PM   #132
DaFountainBow
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
I'm also curious how crowded it felt, I guess we will have to wait and hear from the first archery deer hunters on that for a better understanding.

Does anyone know if the LA headquarters will give answer to how many permits were purchased for each respective hunts? 100+, 150+, 200+?

I asked that exact question a few weeks back when I called, it was before the second draw though. I was told 250 were available and that her "best guess" would be that 220-230 will show up with a lot people getting there late on Friday night because of work and the numbers dwindling significantly Sunday mid day due to people returning to work on Monday. Which is all fine by me. I am staying until they kick me out...

Old 11-22-2016, 02:53 PM   #133
BigRed323
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFountainBow View Post
Thanks for the info...I have always gone far back in, my concern is that with it being crowded I would risk walking thru someone heading back out that has decided to stay close to the road. Because I **** sure ain't walking 1 mile through unfamiliar woods after dark.
I don't blame you. I was born and raised hunting in south texas and I still don't like walking through the brush out there in the dark. lol
Old 11-22-2016, 03:20 PM   #134
gemini2759
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post

I checked with the hunter station today. They have no way how many no shows since no one is required to check in or out.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:02 PM   #135
robie
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini2759 View Post
I checked with the hunter station today. They have no way how many no shows since no one is required to check in or out.
Just curious, how would they know that everyone hunting actually drew the tag? If they stop you I'm sure that is a quick way to find out, but other than that its a free for all?
Old 11-22-2016, 04:55 PM   #136
CaptTank
Six Point

Hunt In: Bee Co, Goliad Co, Gonzales Co, Fayette Co,Real Co., Caldwell County

Quote:
Originally Posted by robie View Post
Just curious, how would they know that everyone hunting actually drew the tag? If they stop you I'm sure that is a quick way to find out, but other than that its a free for all?

I believe we have to have a document with our name and permit number written on it displayed on the dash of our vehicle. I printed mine out today.

CaptTank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2016, 05:21 PM   #137
careybirdwell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Rocksprings

Quote:
They usually do.

Also, for those hunting by themselves, they have three brand new game carts you can check out if you need help. I'm sure you have ride back to hunter check station to get one.

I'm setting up my tripod Thursday morning and hunting Friday, but will report on the LA archery deer thread.
Are they the regular type of game carts, that is rated for a couple hundred pounds. I will be by myself on the Dec 30th - Jan 1st rifle hunt. Being by myself is my only real concern I have about the hunt. I don't know what I will do if I put a Nilgai on the ground. I'm thinking the easiest way would be to gut and quarter on the ground to be able to haul out
careybirdwell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2016, 06:03 PM   #138
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Last edited by Etxnoodler; 11-22-2016 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: Decided not to remove post
Old 11-22-2016, 06:16 PM   #139
gemini2759
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by careybirdwell View Post
Are they the regular type of game carts, that is rated for a couple hundred pounds. I will be by myself on the Dec 30th - Jan 1st rifle hunt. Being by myself is my only real concern I have about the hunt. I don't know what I will do if I put a Nilgai on the ground. I'm thinking the easiest way would be to gut and quarter on the ground to be able to haul out
Yes. I saw the regular carts there. If you get a big nilgai by yourself, call the refuge office and if they have someone available they come out and help. I've seen it done before.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:53 PM   #140
GBludau
Four Point

Hunt In: Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties

Quote:
There's a way to know how many individuals drawn actually paid the $130 per person for the permit.

The number of permits paid for won't change.

As far as no shows, that's always unknown.
GBludau is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2016, 07:39 PM   #141
erbica0430
Four Point

Quote:
Nice one. Good viddles there. Congrats

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2016, 07:40 PM   #142
Dtapping-zombie
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by careybirdwell View Post

I'll be hunting by myself this Friday and this is what I got from Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/Goplus-Hauler-Utility-Hunting-Accessories/dp/B01HI69CB6/ref=zg_bs_3413561_5/154-0063810-0782743?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=M66383HNVZ1MDG K8A6RE

It's rated 500lbs so I'm thinking skin, quarter, and cart out. I figured nilgai can be had up to 700-800lbs, so bone out the quarters. Just make sure to keep the hide, head (bull) and/or reproductive organs so rangers can identify sex.

Plus, I'll be using the cart to haul in/out my pop blind, chair, bow and stuff.

Well, that's the plan will see what happens when I get there lol. Feel free to provide feedback and/or ideas, thanks!

Old 11-22-2016, 07:42 PM   #143
Dtapping-zombie
Four Point

^^^ Oh and I'm planning to use a tarp to cover the quarters to keep em clean while using the cart.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:42 PM   #144
erbica0430
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsquared View Post
Great kill Herbey
And thanks for letting us eat a little of it for dinner

Your welcome..Thank you for cooking! Hell of a job!
Old 11-22-2016, 07:43 PM   #145
Dtapping-zombie
Four Point

^^^ If I get anything lol

Old 11-22-2016, 08:02 PM   #146
txhunter806
Four Point

Hunt In: over yonder

I'll be heading down as well and plan on scouting Thursday.
txhunter806 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2016, 08:31 AM   #147
coachwhip
Eight Point

Bike and cart are essential to get you away from the crowds but not a guarantee. We found that each day the game movement got less each day, so try to get it done early. Permithren is a must on your clothes and spray your ankles, wrists, and any other expos d area with deer. The seed ticks are so small they are like grains of sand, have to spot them with your bongos reversed!Name:  IMG_2855.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  113.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2879.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  129.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2878.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  83.9 KB
coachwhip is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2016, 08:41 AM   #148
robie
Four Point

Here is a western trick for those of you who are solo. Gutless method, if you don't have a game bag i would stick with the hair on:

Hair on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4kJIrW1IDM

Hair off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKlj...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-23-2016, 10:03 AM   #149
Devin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachwhip View Post
Bike and cart are essential to get you away from the crowds but not a guarantee. We found that each day the game movement got less each day, so try to get it done early. Permithren is a must on your clothes and spray your ankles, wrists, and any other expos d area with deer. The seed ticks are so small they are like grains of sand, have to spot them with your bongos reversed!Attachment 826608

Attachment 826609

Attachment 826610
Missed not getting to hunt with you two knuckleheads! Next year!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

&
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2016, 10:53 AM   #150
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

FYI they want the whole hide and head brought to the check station. Hide dosnt need to touch cart/ truck. That's why they require the tarp