Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 12-14-2016, 09:27 PM   #51
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX HillCountry, Granger WMA

We got here around 3 and did some scouting. Found 3 areas to sit in the morning. We will do some more scouting after the morning sit and get a new game plan. I'll try to keep yall updated on what we are seeing. Wish us luck!
TXFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2016, 09:31 PM   #52
gemini2759
Six Point

Hunt In: Hither and yonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFireFighter View Post
We got here around 3 and did some scouting. Found 3 areas to sit in the morning. We will do some more scouting after the morning sit and get a new game plan. I'll try to keep yall updated on what we are seeing. Wish us luck!
Getcha one or two,

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
gemini2759 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2016, 03:13 PM   #53
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

This morning only one Nilgai cow was seen. It got within 35 yards but stayed in the brush not giving us a shot. We pushed a small area midday but only saw a small whitetail spike. We are back out and setup again. I moved spots, I found a large pile of poo that had been pooed over many times. I'm gunna see what happens here.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #54
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

I'm gunna try a little rattling
Old 12-15-2016, 07:05 PM   #55
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

Had a good sit tonight. I saw several whitetail and 2 nilgai cows. A doe and the nilgai cows came out about 100 yards from where I was sitting so I had no shot opportunity. 20 min later I had a good 10 point and a spike chasing a doe right towards me. The doe and spike blew through but I was able to stop the buck in a small window for a shot. It was last light and what I thought was 40 yards ended up being 30. He jumped the string and I shot right over his back. Found my arrow clean like it fell out of my quiver. I'll be back to this area in the morning! The other 2 in my group also saw a nice whitetail buck a spike, a giant nilgai bull and 3 nilgai cows! None presented shot opportunities unfortunately. It was a great evening hunt. To top it off I just saw that I have an email saying we were drawn for the rifle hunt in Feb! Heck yes! Every animal we saw today could have been taken with a rifle!
Old 12-15-2016, 08:43 PM   #56
Ranch_Dog
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Dewitt County

Thanks for the report and good luck!
Ranch_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2016, 03:15 PM   #57
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

Had a nice 8 walk up behind me this morning. He spooked when I tried to turn and draw. We grabbed some food and headed back out. I left one in our group back at the original spot where we first saw nilgai. Myself and the other are over in the area where I was lastnight. We are setup about 300 yards apart over looking 2 heavily used trails. Both trails have several piles of nilgai scat on them. I'll let yall know what happens!
Old 12-17-2016, 01:44 AM   #58
Sideler
Ten Point

Good luck.
Sideler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2016, 04:50 AM   #59
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

Well we struck out on this hunt. Saw alot of animals, just couldn't seal the deal. Had a blast! We will be back Feb for the Exotic rifle hunt! Hoping to serve up some cold redemption. Thanks
Old 12-27-2016, 12:08 PM   #60
FlightCancelled
Six Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFireFighter View Post
Well we struck out on this hunt. Saw alot of animals, just couldn't seal the deal. Had a blast! We will be back Feb for the Exotic rifle hunt! Hoping to serve up some cold redemption. Thanks
Sounds like yall were in the right place...we are headed down next Tuesday to take some revenge on a couple that gave us the slip last year. Did yall notice any rutting activity at all?
FlightCancelled is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2016, 12:12 PM   #61
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

Yes we sure did. I had spike and and an 8pt chasing a doe around me where I sat one evening. They were def in prerut activity. I rattled a few different times but didn't get anything come in. Saw 2 other bucks by themselves at different times up and moving around. Goodluck to yall
Old 12-30-2016, 04:01 PM   #62
Jason L
Nubbin' Buck

Default Driving on property?

Is it correct that there's no motorized travel beyond the county roads at Teniente? I read the form, but wondered if that's accurate.
Jason L is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 11:56 AM   #63
rwkiel
Four Point

Longtime reader- first time poster...on any internet forum actually.

To respond to the previous poster's question- yes that is correct. I spoke with the ranger for the area and he confirmed that the most wheels you can have down there is a bicycle.

I too will be going to Teniente for the last rifle hunt (Feb 10-12). This was my time entering and getting drawn, so I consider myself lucky! I've got a buddy who is going to come down and scout with me, and then be on standby in case I need help during retrieval, but apparently I will need to call the emergency line to request access for him. The ranger said that they may come help me, but if they are busy they will let him come onto the NWR solely to help retrieve.

I just made my hotel reservations today. We will be driving down from DFW Wednesday after work and hope to reach the hotel around 2-3am so we can scout all day Thursday. From what the ranger said, this tract has never been culled for nilgai like some of the other NWR tracts, and he said we should definitely see them. Hopefully, the pressure from the two previous rifle hunts doesn't make them even more skittish.

I'm still trying to decide strategy. From the google earth images, it looks like each of the 3 parcels has a perimeter of some sort of relatively dense trees. I wonder if others will be walking the perimeter until they spot some, or do most people during rifle hunts post up somewhere and wait? I don't want to interrupt other's hunts, but I believe it comes out to roughly 250acres/hunter, assuming everyone with the permit shows up.

Long story longer, I will be using a 30 06 with 200g federal premium trophy bear claws. I've read everything I can find about nilgai, on this site and others, and clearly shot placement is huge for an animal like this- especially with a 30 06. I know some think it's undersized, others that it will do just fine, but I don't want to borrow a gun for this.

If anyone else is going to be down there 2/10-12, let me know! I'm very excited and can't wait to learn more about these beasts!
rwkiel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2017, 12:30 AM   #64
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason L View Post
Is it correct that there's no motorized travel beyond the county roads at Teniente? I read the form, but wondered if that's accurate.
Correct, No motorized vehicles allowed
Old 01-05-2017, 12:39 AM   #65
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwkiel View Post
Longtime reader- first time poster...on any internet forum actually.

To respond to the previous poster's question- yes that is correct. I spoke with the ranger for the area and he confirmed that the most wheels you can have down there is a bicycle.

I too will be going to Teniente for the last rifle hunt (Feb 10-12). This was my time entering and getting drawn, so I consider myself lucky! I've got a buddy who is going to come down and scout with me, and then be on standby in case I need help during retrieval, but apparently I will need to call the emergency line to request access for him. The ranger said that they may come help me, but if they are busy they will let him come onto the NWR solely to help retrieve.

I just made my hotel reservations today. We will be driving down from DFW Wednesday after work and hope to reach the hotel around 2-3am so we can scout all day Thursday. From what the ranger said, this tract has never been culled for nilgai like some of the other NWR tracts, and he said we should definitely see them. Hopefully, the pressure from the two previous rifle hunts doesn't make them even more skittish.

I'm still trying to decide strategy. From the google earth images, it looks like each of the 3 parcels has a perimeter of some sort of relatively dense trees. I wonder if others will be walking the perimeter until they spot some, or do most people during rifle hunts post up somewhere and wait? I don't want to interrupt other's hunts, but I believe it comes out to roughly 250acres/hunter, assuming everyone with the permit shows up.

Long story longer, I will be using a 30 06 with 200g federal premium trophy bear claws. I've read everything I can find about nilgai, on this site and others, and clearly shot placement is huge for an animal like this- especially with a 30 06. I know some think it's undersized, others that it will do just fine, but I don't want to borrow a gun for this.

If anyone else is going to be down there 2/10-12, let me know! I'm very excited and can't wait to learn more about these beasts!
That's a heck of a drive! Yall be safe. My group is on the 2nd Exotic rifle hunt and I will be glad to give you a full report when we get back. We were lucky to get drawn on the archery hunt in early Dec and were able to get some good scouting in. Saw several nilgai but all were just outta bow range. They are very smart and have great eye sight. I will also be taking a 30.06, as you said, placement is key. We are looking forward to the hunt! Goodluck!
Old 01-05-2017, 03:44 PM   #66
rwkiel
Four Point

Thanks- you too! I'm looking forward to the report. I plan on bringing a solid camera so hopefully I can do some documenting. Does anyone know how the cell service is out there? I believe this is the first year that the Teniente draws (or maybe LRG NWR draws in general) are through TPW. If so, do you know of anyone who has hunted Teniente with a rifle in the past? I'm curious how others plan to attack this- find trails/dung piles and post up or more spot and stalk. Without an orientation where everyone will be congregated and can announce their plans, I would hate to screw up someone else's hunt by stalking through an area that they've been posted up at. I know it's public land and it happens, so I'm not losing sleep over it, but I figured I would ask. I'm leaning towards walking the perimeter in the treeline until I see something, and then maybe resting the next day over some dung/trails if I'm needing a break.

Oh, if anyone needs help hauling something out, I'm bringing a solid game cart. We should also have a winch on the back of the jeep for processing- making that over the next couple of weeks. Black jeep commander- stop by and say hi or shoot me a PM for my cell.

Man I'm pumped!
Old 01-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #67
chase15
Eight Point

Buddy and I got drawn for the first rifle hunt 1/27-1/29. I have hunted nilgai before along the coast on the El Sauz so I have a decent idea of the animal but I have never seen this property. Should be fun, I have a pretty decent game plan based on google earth and will scout it on Thursday to lay some tracks on gps for an early start friday.
chase15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2017, 01:49 AM   #68
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase15 View Post
Buddy and I got drawn for the first rifle hunt 1/27-1/29. I have hunted nilgai before along the coast on the El Sauz so I have a decent idea of the animal but I have never seen this property. Should be fun, I have a pretty decent game plan based on google earth and will scout it on Thursday to lay some tracks on gps for an early start friday.
Goodluck! Be sure and let us know how you do.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:18 PM   #69
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

Goodluck this weekend. Keep us updated on how it goes. I'll be there next weekend!
Old 01-26-2017, 08:30 PM   #70
chase15
Eight Point

Scouted for about 4-5 hours this afternoon. Found some good areas and a good spot to start in the am. The refuge is DRY. We saw one young bull and a calf. We didn't spend too much time tromping around though, pretty much just walked in to lay down tracks on the gps and confirm a feature we saw on google earth. Weather will be good tomorrow but Saturday is looking sketchy, hopefully we run into some tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2017, 09:48 AM   #71
rwkiel
Four Point

Good luck and save me some! I can't wait to get down there for the last hunt 2/10-12.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:00 AM   #72
JackRyan
Four Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Scouted for about 4-5 hours this afternoon. Found some good areas and a good spot to start in the am. The refuge is DRY. We saw one young bull and a calf. We didn't spend too much time tromping around though, pretty much just walked in to lay down tracks on the gps and confirm a feature we saw on google earth. Weather will be good tomorrow but Saturday is looking sketchy, hopefully we run into some tomorrow!

How'd it go?
JackRyan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2017, 06:57 AM   #73
chase15
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRyan View Post
How'd it go?

Well we came home yesterday with our tail between our legs. We only saw 4 Nilgai and they were all together running full speed for the neighbors pasture about 500 yards from us. We walked 15 miles in 3 days and never saw what I would consider "good sign" that nilgai were currently living on the property. There is a lot of old sign but nothing fresh. No fresh dung piles and no fresh tracks. We heard 3-4 shots over the weekend and best I could tell by trucks all 15 guys drawn were out there. Talked to one or two other groups and neither of them had seen any nilgai either. There is currently no water, at least that we could find and we looked all over. It's a tough hunt, it's very thick in there so scouting and finding an area to sit is crucial. We actually saw a ton of whitetail and two very nice bucks so that was cool.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:47 AM   #74
rwkiel
Four Point

Boy I'm sorry to hear you guys didn't have much luck. Any tips you can provide to those of us that are heading out there next? When you say there was no water, I'm assuming you mean in the main water sources that are visible on google earth? That's disappointing to hear, especially because the NW tank looked fairly large. I heard and saw from photos that the NE portion of the lake within the tract would retreat to beyond the boundaries, but I assumed the NW tank would still have water.

Did you see any pigs while you were out there? I know everyone wants the nilgai, but I heard the pigs are everywhere too- although that was when it was reported that there was water out there. When you say that you saw a small group of nilgai running for the neighbor's place- which direction was that? Out of the 3 main tracts, where did you focus- all 3 or a specific section? How tall were the grasses? The reason I ask- if I am posted up over a dung pile, will I be able to sit on a stool or does the grass prohibit that?

Lots of questions- sorry! I'm hoping I can learn from you what to do/not do. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-30-2017, 01:21 PM   #75
chase15
Eight Point

We looked at google earth and tried to identify any water and then went and found them. The big lake in the NE corner is dry as is the smaller one in the NW corner. It does not look like it has rained any significant amount in awhile. I did not see any pigs, we saw one spot that had been rooted up pretty good but we never ran into any. We covered the area between 30 and the East border and the tract between 10 and 20 pretty good over the 1 day we scouted and the 2 days we hunted. 30 looked like a parking lot and we left that area after the first morning. We got to a spot that first morning an hour before daylight to secure it and still had people walk in on us, I know its public but we saw them look at us in their binos and continue to approach. The nilgai we saw were running to the north boundary. We spent the majority of our time in the section between 10 and 20 as that had the least amount of people, I know some peoples theories are to have others bump animals towards you but on a rifle hunt I didnt want to be near people I did not know. Grass varies anywhere from thigh deep to non existent. You can sit on the ground in most places but a dove stool was helpful for us the last day. We bought a pair of small pruning shears to trim a few mesquite limbs and suck up to the trunk of trees. The amount of open country is little to none, there are a few mowed trails between 10 and 20 that you can sit on but your window to see an animal and then get a shot off is tiny. What appears open on google earth is filled with small brush as well.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:24 PM   #76
rwkiel
Four Point

Wow that makes me rethink my strategy. I was expecting fairly open country. Thanks again for the recap!
Old 01-31-2017, 12:47 PM   #77
NotJose
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton, TX

I'll b out this weekend hunting w/Dad and bro. Hope we have some luck

NotJose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2017, 01:34 PM   #78
fisHRman
Four Point

4 of us will be hunting the East Lake portion of the reserve this weekend. I haven't seen much information on that tract. If anybody has any tips or ideas for that section please let me know.
fisHRman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2017, 05:39 PM   #79
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

Quote:
Well we came home yesterday with our tail between our legs. We only saw 4 Nilgai and they were all together running full speed for the neighbors pasture about 500 yards from us. We walked 15 miles in 3 days and never saw what I would consider "good sign" that nilgai were currently living on the property. There is a lot of old sign but nothing fresh. No fresh dung piles and no fresh tracks. We heard 3-4 shots over the weekend and best I could tell by trucks all 15 guys drawn were out there. Talked to one or two other groups and neither of them had seen any nilgai either. There is currently no water, at least that we could find and we looked all over. It's a tough hunt, it's very thick in there so scouting and finding an area to sit is crucial. We actually saw a ton of whitetail and two very nice bucks so that was cool.

That's tough. We hunt a couple hundred yards away from teniente and our pond that is generally filled to the rim, is bone dry this year. Nilgai and pig numbers haven't been all that great for us this year either but they're out there. Seen a couple monster bulls crossing the roads in the refuge heading To our place.
BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2017, 12:03 AM   #80
JohnG.ATX
Nubbin' Buck

Headed down to Teniente weds night in a group of 4 for the feb 3-5th hunt. Sounds like it will be a tough hunt.
JohnG.ATX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2017, 10:50 PM   #81
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

We (3 in my group) will be heading down Thursday. Goodluck to everyone hunting. I'll try and give reports daily.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:12 PM   #82
chase15
Eight Point

Looks like yall are going to get that same NNE wind that we had last weekend, I was hoping it would switch to the normal SE and see if that helped some of those spots down there. Let us know what you find.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:39 PM   #83
Muzzy100
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over All The Time

Ok we have arrived, we got in 45 minutes before dark and checked the area we hunted during the archery hunt. Still looked like positive sign so we will
Be sitting there in the morning.
Muzzy100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2017, 07:54 AM   #84
rwkiel
Four Point

Nice! Thanks for the update. I'll be following this thread closely- rooting for y'all!
Old 02-03-2017, 09:00 AM   #85
Muzzy100
Ten Point

Nothing on the sit this morning. It seemed like good conditions just nothing moving. Like I mentioned above we just sat where we had success during archery hunt. I did see a game camera from my sit this morning. So may have been other hunters in the area. Going to try new spots this evening.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:06 AM   #86
rwkiel
Four Point

Are you staying out there all day? I read that nilgai are active all day.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:51 AM   #87
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

Watch your step fellas!
Old 02-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #88
JohnG.ATX
Nubbin' Buck

Just getting off the refuge. Not a whole lot of action out of the pop-up blind, but we did see a group of 6 cows running across the Sendero we were on. They looked like they were being pushed by someone. Anyone shoot? Heard a couple shots from the north end of the refuge.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:54 PM   #89
Muzzy100
Ten Point

Seems slow our way as well no neialgi spoted on our end. Lack of fresh sign has me stumped where to even try next.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:56 PM   #90
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

We are sitting on the north end but was not us. We pushed a few areas on the west end but didn't see any nilgai. A few whitetail here and there. Didn't even encounter much fresh sign today. I'll update yall after the evening hunt. Goodluck
Old 02-03-2017, 04:02 PM   #91
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

A few pics...
Morning sit and one of the Nilgai dung piles we found.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:47 PM   #92
JohnG.ATX
Nubbin' Buck

My buddy says he just got a shot on a cow. Going to meet up with him, give her some time, and get to looking.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:45 PM   #93
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

Muzzy100 got him one! We just got in . Story to come (probably tomorrow!)
Old 02-04-2017, 12:00 AM   #94
rwkiel
Four Point

Very nice! Way to go! I can't wait to hear about it
Old 02-04-2017, 06:39 AM   #95
Cprothro
Spike

Outstanding
Cprothro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2017, 12:07 PM   #96
JackRyan
Four Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Awesome, congrats!!
JackRyan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2017, 12:12 PM   #97
rwkiel
Four Point

JohnG- did y'all find that cow your buddy shot?
Old 02-04-2017, 03:20 PM   #98
Muzzy100
Ten Point

Default The story!

So this hunt started back in December when we were actually drawn for the archery permit. Like many hunts the first day was spend scouting. We ended up finding a good spot that we all managed to see animals at. Unfortunately we ended up going home empty handed. We just were not able to get anything within archery range. However, we found out while we were down there we had gotten drawn for the rifle hunt in February. Knowing what we knew from the previous hunt the itch was there to come back due to having seen multiple nilgai. The hunt was planned.

Upon our arrival we basically went right in and hunted our previously scouted area. We we were a little disappointed to discover the animal sign was much less than the last hunt. The Friday morning hunt didn't reveal much but txfirefighter saw some whitetails moving through. At lunch we went in and scouted other areas but I never saw anything that I wanted to return to. We thought about it and ultimately decided we would return to the original spot for the Friday evening hunt. We got in and sat down and the over cast rainy weather rolled in. I hadn't seen anything all sit and daylight was fading into the last 15 minutes of light. I had started to mess around on my phone and was not looking around as much. I knew if they came for the most part which direction they would be coming from. One trail would bring them out in front of me the other one would bring them out to my left which was a jacked up shooting position for me. Well as my attention span was fading for the evening I glance up and sure enough a nilgai bull was standing in the wide open about 50 yards away on the jacked up left side. Frozen in place I watched this beastly gray shadow stand. It acted like it didnt want to continue through the open knowing something was up. It ended up turning around and walking back into the brush walking away from me. I could see a semi clear hole in the brush it was walking towards. It veered into the hole exposing its shoulder for a split second. I knew it was now or never I sent off the 7mm mag frehanded twisted up and hoped for the best. The bull jumped spun around and ran back the direction he came from straight into the brush.

Having read numerous horror stories on how tuff and impossible nilgai were to kill I was concerned to say the least. At this point it is the last 8-10 minutes of light. I wait all of two secounds before looking for blood. Found blood at the impact location and a decent path leading into the thick brush. Txfirefighter and I linked up and began what I just knew was going to be a long iffy recovery on this what I thought was impossible to kill animal. After walking a meer fifty yards txfirefighter slaped me on the back and pointed to the downed bull. I was pumped, public lands hunts are hard but when you succeed they are rewarding. I will remember this hunt with friends long before that of just shooting a deer under a feeder back home.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:44 PM   #99
JohnG.ATX
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwkiel View Post
JohnG- did y'all find that cow your buddy shot?
No, I ended up getting to him in before dark and ranged the shot at about 230 yards. Didn't find a drop of blood on the road or any of the grass where she took off. Fairly confident the shot was just too far and he missed. Oh well... got him sitting pretty close to the same spot this evening.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:13 PM   #100
Muzzy100
Ten Point

Knocked down a big sow tonight pictures to come. Everyone in our group saw pigs tonight no nilgai better luck in the morning.