Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 08-03-2016, 05:07 PM   #1
Snacks
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I am invited
Default Johnson

The Trump and Hillary debate has been beaten to death. While I realize that a Johnson presidency is highly unlikely, what are your thoughts about his policies?
Personally, I disagree on several of his points (i.e. Abortion) but I see him as a vastly better option than either Trump or Hillary.
Snacks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2016, 05:10 PM   #2
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Ross Perot needs to run again.

Anyone needs to run. Joking about Perot but I bet Ron Paul would get more votes in a fair election than Trillary
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2016, 05:44 PM   #3
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

I hereby announce my candidacy for potus.
Please send me as many $5000 campaign donations as you can and tell your rich friends to send 5,10 or 15 thousand dollars as well.
I'm a gonna fix this mess.

Oh, and smoke em if you got em
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2016, 06:34 PM   #4
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

No joke, if anyone could get their name on the ballot they would have a chance to win. Anyone not completely stupid crazy.

I think that proves how rigged this whole thing is.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:56 PM   #5
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

With the two main party candidates, I'm surprised a third party candidate hasn't been able to capitalize. I'm not sure what Johnson is doing to get his message out, but I just don't hear much about him.

That said, I disagree with a few, but critical, parts of his policy. That includes abortion, legalization of pot and a dangerous easing of border security and reduced military budget. I'm ok with his "state's rights" position on certain things, but national defense is a (the) priority responsibility of the federal government.

I'd still like to see him in the debates, but I wish there was a viable third party candidate in an election ripe for a legitimate third party option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2016, 07:06 PM   #6
bowstalker210
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywher

I like some of his stances, abortion, legalization of marijuana and reduction of military spending, and a relinquishment of federal to states rights are big plusses for me. His immigration and hesitation of engagement of military strikes rub me a lil raw but things I can get over. I really thought this was the election for a 3rd party candidate to make a viable run considering the other two options but we'll see. At least he's on the ballot, so many might see it and say "Well he's not Clinton or Trump" and pull the lever for him.
bowstalker210 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2016, 09:14 PM   #7
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: East & Northern Arkansas.

I agree with most of his platform. I'd like to see a better policy enacted to deal with illegals and their employers. I'd like to see some free loading (corporate and individual) done away with. I'd like to see the military budget and ridiculous foreign aid spending reigned in. I like Johnson and the Liberitarian party because they push personally responsibility and largely stick to the constitution. Not saying that Johnson is perfect by a long shot, but I favor him way over Hillary, and more than Trump a little more every day that Trump runs his mouth.

I'm glad to see a third party getting a shake, but too many people are stuck in their ruts this go round. Maybe in 4 years folks will be tired enough of whatever side pulls this one out and we'll have a truly viable third party. Keep voting the same way, keep getting the same results... I'm done with that.
Razrbk89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2016, 06:33 AM   #8
XBowHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson/Cass

Trump and Hillary are jokes. Johnson has my vote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
XBowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2016, 08:12 AM   #9
Snacks
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razrbk89 View Post
I agree with most of his platform. I'd like to see a better policy enacted to deal with illegals and their employers. I'd like to see some free loading (corporate and individual) done away with. I'd like to see the military budget and ridiculous foreign aid spending reigned in. I like Johnson and the Liberitarian party because they push personally responsibility and largely stick to the constitution. Not saying that Johnson is perfect by a long shot, but I favor him way over Hillary, and more than Trump a little more every day that Trump runs his mouth.

I'm glad to see a third party getting a shake, but too many people are stuck in their ruts this go round. Maybe in 4 years folks will be tired enough of whatever side pulls this one out and we'll have a truly viable third party. Keep voting the same way, keep getting the same results... I'm done with that.
Your last line is spot on. I am very interested to see how things might get shaken up if he gets to 15% and is able to debate in front of millions of viewers. Currently he is polling 13% so he really doesn't have that far to go.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:27 AM   #10
Clay C
Ten Point

What kind of Libertarian would want the government to force a Jewish bakery owner to make a cake for a Nazi?
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2016, 08:35 AM   #11
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rusk County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
What kind of Libertarian would want the government to force a Jewish bakery owner to make a cake for a Nazi?
Gary Johnson....if you want to call him a libertarian
AZST_bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2016, 08:47 AM   #12
Gunnyart
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Lometa, TX

I watched the Johnson / Weld town hall last night on CNN. They sounded darn reasonable compared to the knucklehead Trump.
If they can reach 15% they'll be on the stage at the debates which could really shake things up.
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2016, 09:03 AM   #13
txjustin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fort Bend and Brazoria Counties

Quote:
His religious freedom views are my biggest disagreements with him.
txjustin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2016, 09:03 AM   #14
XBowHunter
Pope & Young

Quote:

We are the UNITED STATES. Freedom if pushed too far leads to segregation. That's where I draw the line. If you wanna do business in this country you must serve the public... All of them...

But you are correct, those aren't libertarian views. True libertarians believe in freedoms even to the point of discrimination, I don't...

Old 08-04-2016, 09:04 AM   #15
XBowHunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyart View Post
I watched the Johnson / Weld town hall last night on CNN. They sounded darn reasonable compared to the knucklehead Trump.
If they can reach 15% they'll be on the stage at the debates which could really shake things up.

Would be great to see Johnson in the debates.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:05 AM   #16
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBowHunter View Post
We are the UNITED STATES. Freedom if pushed too far leads to segregation. That's where I draw the line. If you wanna do business in this country you must serve the public... All of them...

But you are correct, those aren't libertarian views. True libertarians believe in freedoms even to the point of discrimination, I don't...

So what about the baker? The government forcing someone to abandoned their views, religion and principles isn't discrimination?
Old 08-04-2016, 09:06 AM   #17
ttubudd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Glen Rose, TX, Hico, TX, Eufaula, OK

If a third party candidate ever had a chance, I think this is it. Hope to see him on the debate stage. I don't align with a lot of his views, but there are a lot that appeal to me.

I hope he can be seen as the better option than Hillary and Trump that people have been looking for and appeal to both sides.
ttubudd is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2016, 10:31 AM   #18
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

I was in Vietnam the last time we had a pres named Johnson. Can't take that risk again. Too danged old.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2016, 10:34 AM   #19
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:

Milton Friedman is rolling over in his grave.. True libertarians believe that a business will either be successful or not, and that is only up to that business (not a government regulation). Lets take the cake baker that refused to bake a cake for a gay wedding because of religious views. If this cake baker lives in an area that is majority church going folk that feel gays are going to burn in hell, then this cake baker just got a lot of business for upholding the religious views of the bible.. But, if this cake baker was in San Francisco, they will more than likely never make another dime.

Each business has the right to refuse service to anyone, they just have to live with the consequences. But there is no right stating that a person has the right to not be offended.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:49 AM   #20
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
Milton Friedman is rolling over in his grave.. True libertarians believe that a business will either be successful or not, and that is only up to that business (not a government regulation). Lets take the cake baker that refused to bake a cake for a gay wedding because of religious views. If this cake baker lives in an area that is majority church going folk that feel gays are going to burn in hell, then this cake baker just got a lot of business for upholding the religious views of the bible.. But, if this cake baker was in San Francisco, they will more than likely never make another dime.

Each business has the right to refuse service to anyone, they just have to live with the consequences. But there is no right stating that a person has the right to not be offended.

Agreed, but if you read XBow's post he acknowledged that isn't a Libertarian view point. It is, however, a fascist one.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:00 AM   #21
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Agreed, but if you read XBow's post he acknowledged that isn't a Libertarian view point. It is, however, a fascist one.
I saw that he acknowledged that it isnt a libertarian view. But this is literally one of a libertarians most important views, ther moto is "let us be".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2016, 11:27 AM   #22
txjustin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fort Bend and Brazoria Counties

Quote:

Bingo, nailed it.
txjustin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2016, 12:21 PM   #23
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
I saw that he acknowledged that it isnt a libertarian view. But this is literally one of a libertarians most important views, ther moto is "let us be".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Absolutely. Johnson is not a Libertarian.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:36 PM   #24
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Absolutely. Johnson is not a Libertarian.
No he's not, he is just like Rubio with the Tea Party..jumps on any train that may get him into office
Old 08-04-2016, 12:47 PM   #25
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Here's my view on government:

1) Provide a STRONG defense for THIS country. I have no problem with military spending for that.

2) Ensure that our borders are truly secure and our immigration laws are followed whatever that takes.

3) Provide for interstate infrastructure.

4). Provide for the TRULY indigent and needy.

5). Take care of our veterans, they deserve it.

Other than that, butt the hell out.

"An honest government has no fear of an armed population".
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2016, 12:47 PM   #26
JonBoy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, TX; Doss, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
With the two main party candidates, I'm surprised a third party candidate hasn't been able to capitalize. I'm not sure what Johnson is doing to get his message out, but I just don't hear much about him.

That said, I disagree with a few, but critical, parts of his policy. That includes abortion, legalization of pot and a dangerous easing of border security and reduced military budget. I'm ok with his "state's rights" position on certain things, but national defense is a (the) priority responsibility of the federal government.

I'd still like to see him in the debates, but I wish there was a viable third party candidate in an election ripe for a legitimate third party option.
You probably already know this but the biggest obstacle to getting a viable 3rd party is media exposure. It's no secret that elections are lost and won through staying relevant and keeping your face in front of the people. You can't accomplish that without getting media exposure.

With the requirement of 3rd parties to garner 15% polling numbers before they will even be allowed on the debate stage, 3rd parties will continue to struggle to get their platform in front of the many of Americans who don't take the time to research alternatives simply because they cannot be heard. Couple that with the fact that debate moderators also highly influence the exposure candidates get through speaking time and it is a near impossible feat to overturn the current establishment.

Last edited by JonBoy; 08-04-2016 at 12:49 PM..
JonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2016, 01:20 PM   #27
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Quote:

Yes, yes, yes. We have to limit this freedom thing. It can be DANGEROUS!
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2016, 01:22 PM   #28
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Quote:
So what about the baker? The government forcing someone to abandoned their views, religion and principles isn't discrimination?
Indeed it is. What a liberal idea, allow someone religious liberty!
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #29
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Hunt In: \_(ツ)_/

Name:  guide.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  89.4 KB
JFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2016, 01:43 PM   #30
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

This won't be the first election I voted for GJ.
I was out on the East Coast for a couple of weeks recently and visited with some old friends. Die hard Dems but good people. They fed me the same line that I hear around these parts about throwing votes to Hillary. A vote third party would put Trump in the Whitehouse.
Really what the Libertarians need is to get some good folks into Congress and start a solid voice there.
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2016, 02:15 PM   #31
ladrones
Pope & Young

I cannot in good conscious cast a vote for Mrs Bill Clinton so GJ is not an option at all for me.

Some of the things I do like about GJ while he was governor here.

I know the man with the cat tattoo won't agree with this as he has stated numerous times we need a government that works together to get things accomplished. Johnson always said the best government works when nobody gets along and not much at all gets accomplished. The NM house and senate were both 40+ year democrat rule and GJ vetoed about everything they ever worked to accomplish. It was the best 8 years NM ever had. We see our own federal government now involved with human trafficking, money laundering and other terrorist acts. It would be a much better country if the FEDS were not so big and powerful and the states had more of a voice in how it's citizens chose to be governed.

I really was a fan of his school choice voucher system that he worked hard to try and implement here. Never panned out as the unions, admin and the pro big government people think the only ones that should decide your child's direction is the FED and the NEA.

I liked that we had a rainy day fund worth many billions. He is much more fiscally conservative than the establishment types like GW Bush. Clinton crony Bill Richardson became governor after GJ and he looted every cent of any rainy day funds that was ever put away here in NM. Now NM is beyond broke and is dependent on federal welfare to stay afloat.
ladrones is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2016, 02:31 PM   #32
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County

Hope he does gain traction, polls show he draws off of liberal voters ie Hillary not conservatives.
J Sweet is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2016, 02:54 PM   #33
Sneaky
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hays, Milam, Caldwell, Hamilton, Burnet, Williamson, Bastrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyart View Post
YES!! I sure hope he can make it to 15% and get in those debates!

#libertarian
Sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2016, 03:14 PM   #34
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

He is not a serious candidate. Never was.. I guess he is using his donation money to buy hydroponic lights for his grow houses because I've never seen the first political add or any media coverage whatsoever.. It's like he doesn't exist.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2016, 03:18 PM   #35
ttubudd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Glen Rose, TX, Hico, TX, Eufaula, OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
He is not a serious candidate. Never was.. I guess he is using his donation money to buy hydroponic lights for his grow houses because I've never seen the first political add or any media coverage whatsoever.. It's like he doesn't exist.
I'm sure that he would love for the media to cover him more, but with such a shat show regarding the two others, why would they show him?

Personally, I wish that there was a law against political ads. I don't think a large campaign budget should dictate whether or not you are a viable candidate. Those political ads are the worst anyways.
ttubudd is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2016, 03:58 PM   #36
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

I'm voting for him.
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2016, 04:00 PM   #37
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttubudd View Post
I'm sure that he would love for the media to cover him more, but with such a shat show regarding the two others, why would they show him?

Personally, I wish that there was a law against political ads. I don't think a large campaign budget should dictate whether or not you are a viable candidate. Those political ads are the worst anyways.
I agree since they're all lies and deception anyway.

Just make each party donate some money towards more debates or non-biased interviews shown on TV.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:05 PM   #38
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

I watched him & his running mate on cnn interview the other day & man, he just came across as a ding-a-ling & not very presidential. Kinda awkward. Didn't really say anything wrong, just came across a bit goofy to me.

My only problem with 3rd parties & EC is you would have so many disenfranchised voters like you did with Perot. Didn't Clinton win with less than 40% of the popular?? To me, although I get the EC process isn't a good vibe with three strong candidates. I don't know what the solution would be...maybe some sort of run off with the best two if one doesn't get say 45-50 percent of popular??
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2016, 04:22 PM   #39
Bill M
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Didn't really say anything wrong, just came across a bit goofy to me.I watched him & his running mate on cnn interview the other day & man, he just came across as a ding-a-ling & not very presidential. Kinda awkward.
Agree. When I've seen him interviewed he couldn't put together a coherent answer to any question asked. I don't see the attraction myself.

After reading through this thread it would appear not all "Libertarians" are created equal.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2016, 04:35 PM   #40
XBowHunter
Pope & Young

Quote:

It's the price of doing business In a diverse and united society, imo...

Old 08-04-2016, 04:41 PM   #41
XBowHunter
Pope & Young

Hydroponic grow lights? Giggle

What are hydroponic grow lights???

Old 08-04-2016, 04:45 PM   #42
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
It's the price of doing business In a diverse and united society, imo...

How is the government forcing one to give up their beliefs in preference to another diverse? Isn't that the opposite?

I think using a Nazi in this example is remarkably appropriate.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:03 PM   #43
ttechdallas
Eight Point

Hunt In: Atoka County, OK

I wonder how many people would vote Libertarian if they knew for sure someone in the other party (in the same state of course) would also vote Libertarian - ala Hey, I'll vote Libertarian if you will.

The fear a lot of folks seem to have is that if they vote Libertarian, they might be helping the candidate they dislike even more.
ttechdallas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2016, 07:40 PM   #44
Snacks
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttechdallas View Post
I wonder how many people would vote Libertarian if they knew for sure someone in the other party (in the same state of course) would also vote Libertarian - ala Hey, I'll vote Libertarian if you will.

The fear a lot of folks seem to have is that if they vote Libertarian, they might be helping the candidate they dislike even more.
This. And if Johnson is able to gain some traction and media attention then people will be more likely to unify behind him.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:36 PM   #45
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Hunt In: \_(ツ)_/

http://redalertpolitics.com/2016/08/...cklivesmatter/

Gary Johnson endorses #BlackLivesMatter
Quote:
At the CNN Libertarian Party Town Hall on Wednesday, Johnson praised the efforts of Black Lives Matter and endorsed the organization.
Speaking to a Black Lives Matter protestor and registered Democrat who was shot in the leg during a march, Johnson said, “What it has done for me is that my head has been in the sand on this,” Johnson said. “I think that we’ve all had our heads in the sand and lets wake up. Discrimination does exist, has existed, and for me personally, um, slap, slap, wake up.”
JFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2016, 07:29 AM   #46
XBowHunter
Pope & Young

Johnson 2016

#nevertrump

Old 08-05-2016, 09:04 AM   #47
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFISHER View Post

Gary Johnson endorses #BlackLivesMatter
Just another reason to vote None of the Above!!
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #48
texasnavy05
Eight Point

Hunt In: Snook, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqiggy View Post
Just another reason to vote None of the Above!!
I don't understand why so many people hate the "black lives matter" campaign.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
texasnavy05 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2016, 05:58 PM   #49
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnavy05 View Post
I don't understand why so many people hate the "black lives matter" campaign.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Surely you are joking?

Black Ice is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2016, 06:01 PM   #50
texasnavy05
Eight Point

Hunt In: Snook, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
Surely you are joking?