Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 10-26-2016, 08:11 PM   #1401
TexasRangerFan7
Spike

Hunt In: San Angelo
Default THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxnoodler View Post
I wouldn't get in anybody's blind. But I would set up close by if nobody was there. It first come first serve but actually getting in it wouldn't be cool.
Yeah that's what I kinda figured. That's good to hear though bout setting up close by.

There's a a lot of brush blinds out there in such a small area so it would be hard for me to get pretty far away from all them. I'll won't feel bad anymore bout setting my pop up blind somewhat close by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasRangerFan7 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2016, 09:37 AM   #1402
79F250
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Angelo/ Any public land

Definitely don't sit in someone else's blind.

Biggest thing is be respectful of other hunters. Personally if I found a spot with a brush blind I wouldn't even scout that area I would move on. IMO people who set up next to someone else are inconsiderate. Lots and lots of land out there it's not hard to find a spot away from everybody else. Nothing makes me more mad than putting in several hours worth of scouting along with several miles just to have someone setup 50 yards from me huntin over my corn pile that I've been hand feeding for weeks.
79F250 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2016, 05:04 PM   #1403
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Yeah if there is corn in the area I would move away. If it's just a brush blind that is no telling how old and dosnt look used I would set up where ever. Even though you can't claim a spot by putting up a stand/ blind. If it looks used I would move away. I was thinking he meant old blinds
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2016, 06:59 PM   #1404
rbertman
Eight Point

Hunt In: san angelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79F250 View Post
Definitely don't sit in someone else's blind.

Biggest thing is be respectful of other hunters. Personally if I found a spot with a brush blind I wouldn't even scout that area I would move on. IMO people who set up next to someone else are inconsiderate. Lots and lots of land out there it's not hard to find a spot away from everybody else. Nothing makes me more mad than putting in several hours worth of scouting along with several miles just to have someone setup 50 yards from me huntin over my corn pile that I've been hand feeding for weeks.
X2 it sux to get out to your blind and find someone set up right on top of you Its normally pretty easy to see that someone has been feeding in that spot for awhile . Speaking of this I got pics on my camera of this guy walking right threw my corn this morning

Last edited by rbertman; 10-27-2016 at 07:01 PM..
rbertman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2016, 01:14 PM   #1405
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRangerFan7 View Post
Yeah that's what I kinda figured. That's good to hear though bout setting up close by.

There's a a lot of brush blinds out there in such a small area so it would be hard for me to get pretty far away from all them. I'll won't feel bad anymore bout setting my pop up blind somewhat close by.

Yeah it tends to suck when you have put in time effort and some money on a spot to get out there and someone is in it or stole something or tore stuff down. Had a guy scout my spot and do a mid day hunt over it ( I guess to avoid me) and leave a gut pile between the blind and bait which it was only about 25yds from blind to bait. He tore down about half the blind and draped this stinking burlap over it. It was already like a mesquite igloo best brush blind I had ever put up. Story is on page 16 of this thread I think. I talked to some other guys that said he had talked to them and said something about other peoples spots etc... and he had crashed another spot or 2 also. It is first come first server public land but when you are on a small acreage area and you know there are quite a few other hunters out don't scout during normal hunting hours of the day and dang sure don't try to spot stalk and still hunt during those times either. You will end up walking up on someone in a set up. Heard more than a story or 2 about it and have had people walk through my set up and see me when they are right on me and get scared and then have a cross bow or shotgun pointed at you by a frightened goober.
DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2016, 02:26 PM   #1406
JDVerfurth
Six Point

Hunt In: Realtree APG only!

My personal favorite are the walkers in old army greens carrying a shotgun and smoking a cigarette... hahaha... especially when you're up in a tree and they never even see you... I guess we will see how much TWPD taking over TBR has changed that situation this weekend... being first weekend of general season... Hahahaha... I'll try to get pictures of walkers if I have anyone come close...

JDVerfurth is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2016, 02:35 PM   #1407
TexasRangerFan7
Spike

Thanks for the advice fellas, I appreciate it. I'll be sure and do my best to set my pop up as far away from other people's set ups as possible.

How crazy is gun season on public land? I plan on making the trip down to San Angelo this weekend to do some more hunting with my bow. I've been trying to read through this thread, and it seems like a lot of people have had issues in the past with people behaving recklessly and shooting blindly into the woods.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDVerfurth View Post
especially when you're up in a tree and they never even see you...
JD, I do have access to a hang on stand with some climbin sticks...Are there big enough trees in any of the units to hunt out off? I have yet to see any.

Last edited by TexasRangerFan7; 10-31-2016 at 02:43 PM..
Old 10-31-2016, 02:56 PM   #1408
JDVerfurth
Six Point

Yes sir area 1... area 3.... maybe 8... I've heard good things about 8.... also good lean-toos work in most all of the other areas... But, wildly shooting into the woods... not so much... but walking around trying to get up close to a deer is a preferred method to a lot of people (Walkers) on TBR.... and there is zero decision making into pulling the trigger... they will shoot fawns, yearlings, anything brown... don't get me wrong... I like to walk around but I only do walking when it's time to rattle up bucks... which is a great way to see some larger bucks that hide out on TBR...

Old 11-01-2016, 12:31 AM   #1409
Mjjust
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Angelo/ Any Public lands.

There's absolutely no deer in 8. Stay out!! LOL. JK. There are a few trees tall enough in 8. Several over near the river bend on the far east side but I have seen a couple hunters in that area so don't know how crowded it is. I have avoided that area because of that. The west end looks like it may have a few taller trees but I haven't explored it much. In the center area I haven't seen a tree that would work with a hang on and have explored it pretty well. Of course remember 8 is no guns. Bow only. Son and I have seen some young deer in 8. Area 5 is also bow only and it has some trees along the river that you could probably use a hang on.
Mjjust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2016, 08:48 AM   #1410
Mjjust
Eight Point

Oops my bad. Area 5 is walk in only but not bow only.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:02 AM   #1411
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

Quote:
My personal favorite are the walkers in old army greens carrying a shotgun and smoking a cigarette... hahaha... especially when you're up in a tree and they never even see you... I guess we will see how much TWPD taking over TBR has changed that situation this weekend... being first weekend of general season... Hahahaha... I'll try to get pictures of walkers if I have anyone come close...

Haha yup I think old buxndux had that guy walk up on him and get startled and point that shotty at him.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:37 AM   #1412
JDVerfurth
Six Point

That'll work

Old 11-01-2016, 09:38 AM   #1413
PapaBear
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason/Kimble County

Quote:

That'll work

Heck yeah!

PapaBear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2016, 09:46 AM   #1414
TexasRangerFan7
Spike

Thanks MJ and JD, I'll check out those units sometime and see if I can't find me a tree to sit in.

JD that is a nice buck man! Congrats!!

Last edited by TexasRangerFan7; 11-01-2016 at 10:36 AM..
Old 11-01-2016, 10:32 AM   #1415
birddogem301
Nubbin' Buck

Nice buck JD!! Congrats!!

birddogem301 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2016, 12:34 PM   #1416
muddydog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co.

Just curious if anyone has see the game warden......I thought they were going to put a stop to all the people entering without the aph permit. There is a constant flow of non hunters entering area 3. The parking area is like party central.
muddydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2016, 09:14 PM   #1417
JDVerfurth
Six Point

I don't think they could legally tell people they can't go on the property.... based on the fact they don't possess an AHP... you know cause some people go out there to just drive around and not engage in hunting activities... In my backwards way of thinking...I don't think people should have to have an AHP to hunt out there to begin with... it's just a waste of money....a form of "taxation" for people who do want to hunt... I've hunted TBH since I was a kid... why do we need to **** away money on a pointless permit?... It's obvious people are still out there doing what they want... what did you "special permit" actually go towards? Did you need to **** away the money? Hahaha... I can/will soapbox this issue till I'm old and senile... but if people coming in and out and it's effecting your hunting stand/feeder/set-up... you might wanna reconsider location and actually try to get way off in the sticks...
Get back on the island with us... lots of good deer for everyone!

Old 11-06-2016, 09:20 PM   #1418
Pope & Yum
Eight Point

Hunt In: Right now lets go

Great shot placement!
Pope & Yum is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2016, 09:11 AM   #1419
Javi
Nubbin' Buck

Hi guys thanks for allowing me on this forum my name is Javier from Houston. I was at tbr this weekend and it was great all the people there are very nice and very helpful so thank you guys for that. We where out looking for turkey buy we wheren't able to find them we heard some gobbling in sec 4 but never saw any. We are planning to go back in a week or too can someone point is in the right direction maybe what unit you guys have seen any turkey that would be very helpful thanks.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2016, 04:42 PM   #1420
TexasRangerFan7
Spike

Anyone got any recommendations of some good local restaurants to get some grub from after a morning or evening hunt?

So far I've been just sticking to the fast food joints off of 67.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:49 PM   #1421
PapaBear
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason/Kimble County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRangerFan7 View Post
Anyone got any recommendations of some good local restaurants to get some grub from after a morning or evening hunt?

So far I've been just sticking to the fast food joints off of 67.

Depends on what you are looking for. Los Panchitos or Paisanos on chadbourne is good Mexican food. Outback has good steak. Zero One Alehouse on Beauregard is good and good beer, Stango's has great pizza downtown on Chadbourne between Concho and Twohig. Twisted Root has good burgers and beer on Chadbourne by the river. The are others let me know and I will pm you my number. Will be easier to tell over the phone

PapaBear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2016, 05:47 PM   #1422
Mjjust
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Hi guys thanks for allowing me on this forum my name is Javier from Houston. I was at tbr this weekend and it was great all the people there are very nice and very helpful so thank you guys for that. We where out looking for turkey buy we wheren't able to find them we heard some gobbling in sec 4 but never saw any. We are planning to go back in a week or too can someone point is in the right direction maybe what unit you guys have seen any turkey that would be very helpful thanks.

Not TBR but I have seen a lot at the state park. Same APH required to hunt there but you do have to sign up at South Gate prior to going in the first time. They do have certain dates though. I think it's closed to walk in right now for gun hunts but opens back up Nov 19-27. I was over run with turkey last year in the back of area 6 and saw quite a few in area 2. Greedy birds would clean my corn before deer could come out. Not sure about the state park this year as I've been mostly at TBR area 8 for deer but haven't seen turkey there yet.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:35 PM   #1423
Javi
Nubbin' Buck

Thanks mjjust I'm planning to be back there on the 19th I'll make sure and try that area thanks again
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2016, 05:19 PM   #1424
Mlenderman32
Four Point

I've been hunting in 8 and the neighbors are grubbing brush. Looks like a high fence is about to go up.
Mlenderman32 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2016, 08:25 AM   #1425
TexasRangerFan7
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
Depends on what you are looking for. Los Panchitos or Paisanos on chadbourne is good Mexican food. Outback has good steak. Zero One Alehouse on Beauregard is good and good beer, Stango's has great pizza downtown on Chadbourne between Concho and Twohig. Twisted Root has good burgers and beer on Chadbourne by the river. The are others let me know and I will pm you my number. Will be easier to tell over the phone

Thanks Papabear for these suggestions! Next time I'm in town I think I'll try out the Zero One Alehouse and Stango's.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:58 PM   #1426
79F250
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Angelo/ Any public land

Anyone killed any deer yet? Seen any sign of bucks chasing does?
79F250 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2016, 03:00 PM   #1427
rbertman
Eight Point

Hunt In: san angelo

I heard of a really nice buck being killed out there Tuesday night I think it was a 14 point was killed by. Young man
rbertman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2016, 10:07 PM   #1428
birddogem301
Nubbin' Buck

Going back December 9-17. Didn't do so well during my week in October. 2 misses. No buck tho. Hopefully rut will still be on for my hunt. Been hunting unit 4. No shortage of deer just temp and time were not in my favor. Had 4 game cameras going and lots of does and have 4 bucks on my list if they show up in daylight. So what is normal time for rut in this area?

Old 11-30-2016, 06:48 PM   #1429
birddogem301
Nubbin' Buck

Name:  IMG_2939.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  79.3 KB. Hope this guy is still around

Old 11-30-2016, 06:51 PM   #1430
birddogem301
Nubbin' Buck

Name:  IMG_2948.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  68.6 KB. I'll be looking for this guy as well

Old 11-30-2016, 06:56 PM   #1431
birddogem301
Nubbin' Buck

So has anyone been hunting lately? Any luck?

Old 11-30-2016, 06:57 PM   #1432
JDVerfurth
Six Point

Dates and times correct?.... get in the area of your cams and start rattling at 5:30pm... rattle for 2-3 minutes wait for 5-7 minutes rattle 2-3 minutes again if nothing you wanna shoot shows.... wait 5-7 minutes... constantly keep on the look out... younger deer will typically come sprinting in... older bucks will typically come creeping in... keep your head on a swivel... they could come from anywhere and they will freeze up on you once they get close... so keep your eyes peeled... Rattled in some good deer on the island this weekend... tis the season for rattling so get your rattle on!!

Old 11-30-2016, 07:07 PM   #1433
birddogem301
Nubbin' Buck

Date and times are correct.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:11 PM   #1434
birddogem301
Nubbin' Buck

Awesome. Can't wait!! With this cold front right now I'm sure they will be chasing hard. I will be there this weekend JDVerfurth but really just to lay out plenty of corn a week before I get there.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:14 PM   #1435
JDVerfurth
Six Point

Go to Academy or your favorite sporting good store and grab some doe estrus and a drag... and wear it around your corn and make sure to get enough it spread around so bucks stop in to check it out... they are in chase mode so give them a reason to step in front of you.... corn will bring the does but doe pee will bring the bucks you want!

Old 11-30-2016, 07:20 PM   #1436
birddogem301
Nubbin' Buck

Gotcha!!! Bringing all the ammo!! Hopefully, I can shoot straight this time. Lol.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:49 AM   #1437
birddogem301
Nubbin' Buck

Did your area get rain? How are the trails at the butte?

Old 12-06-2016, 11:18 AM   #1438
JDVerfurth
Six Point

You'll be fine! Drop it in 4H... and whatever you do... don't stop... keep her rolling! Hahaha! Good luck!

Old 12-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #1439
TexasRangerFan7
Spike

How is the hunting post rut out at TBR??

Old 12-07-2016, 08:58 PM   #1440
Mjjust
Eight Point

Last weekend when rain stopped saw a lot of movement and had several bucks coming to corn.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:45 PM   #1441
birddogem301
Nubbin' Buck

Well, I hunted Sunday thru Thursday morning and tag soup for this year. Passed up on a small buck on Monday morning. Rattled a small 8pt buck Wednesday evening but but way outside bow range. Buck would not have given shotgun shot because he was moving. Thursday was a good day to hunt because of cold front but had to leave for a funeral back in El Paso. Looking foward to next deer hunting season.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:46 PM   #1442
birddogem301
Nubbin' Buck

Hope the rest of you with time to hunt can tag a good buck. Good luck!!

Old 12-16-2016, 10:50 PM   #1443
JDVerfurth
Six Point

Good looking rifle you had bro... looks
Like you were empty handed though... sorry
Boutcha ya....

Old 12-17-2016, 09:55 AM   #1444
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Quote:

Good looking rifle you had bro... looks
Like you were empty handed though... sorry
Boutcha ya....

Rifle wth??
Old 12-23-2016, 01:36 PM   #1445
JDVerfurth
Six Point

Merry Christmas Gents!

Old 12-23-2016, 01:38 PM   #1446
birddogem301
Nubbin' Buck

Ho Ho Ho!!!!

Old 12-31-2016, 08:10 AM   #1447
Mjjust
Eight Point

Last weekend to hunt TBR. Good luck all
Old 03-17-2017, 09:06 PM   #1448
TxHuntFish
Banned!!!

Spring turkey bump. Two weeks from north zone opener. Gunna try to get a standby spot at San Angelo state park and then head to twin buttes.
TxHuntFish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 04:09 PM   #1449
JDVerfurth
Six Point

Anyone done any scouting on TBR?

Old 03-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #1450
SAMCHunter
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Twin Buttes

I scouted out near the island last week and was surprised to find someone living near the very back in 4. Is this normal for that area? I believe it's near Camp Seider.
SAMCHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top