Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 08-27-2015, 09:26 PM   #1
cam6467
Four Point

Hunt In: Stonewall Co.
Default Bardominium Build Journal

Hello everyone,

My name is Charles, and I live in Somervell County just southwest of Fort Worth. This thread is to chronicle the journey that my wife and I are about to begin as we embark on a mission to buy acreage and build a barndominium.

I've been around the construction industry for most of my life. My father owns a heating and air conditioning company and brought me and my older brother up in the trade from our youth. I worked for dad for many years before setting off on my own with my own company.

My wife is a stay at home mother of two crazy red headed girls. Before our second came along, she was a 5th grade math teacher. She plans on going back to the classroom once our youngest is in school herself. I'm blessed enough to make just enough to keep us alive as the sole provider.

We bought a neighborhood home in 2011 and have really enjoyed our time in this house. Fortunately for us, the market is up and in our favor. We listed our home and had a full asking price offer within 12 hours. Now that the house is sold, we are going to use that extra money to put down on 13 acres outside of town.

We are going to build a 40'x60' weld-up steel structure with standard ol' galvalume r-panel exterior. Two of the 20' stalls will be living space and the remaining will yield a 20'x40' shop/garage.

The boss lady and I have been drawing plans and making changes for months now, and we think that we've finally come up with something that is doable for our little family. We're going from a little over 2,100 sqft to right at 1,600 sqft. By eliminating things like an office and useless dining room, we're actually going to have a larger living room, kitchen, and bed rooms.

Our plan is to go very basic with as much as possible. We have a tight budget and do not want to go over ~$180,000 total. This price includes the land, well, septic, building, etc.

Some of y'all are probably already rolling your eyes at this, but I think that since I will be personally doing 90% of the work, I should be able to stay under budget.

The land that we've been looking at is at an asking price of 70k. It isn't the most drop dead gorgeous property, but it fits our desires and has been on the market long enough that our realtor feels pretty good about offering 50k and having a pretty decent shot at it. We'll see what happens...

The only bit of visual stimulation that I can offer at this point is a quick shot of my floorplan. I would love some constructive criticism from you guys.

Name:  Floor Plan.jpg
Views: 6248
Size:  19.9 KB
cam6467 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2015, 06:28 AM   #2
jmoore2006
Ten Point

Hunt In: East/South Texas, Mexico when i can

I'll follow along. Plans look good. What's the eve height on the building. Have you thought of going taller with the building and giving your master a 20x20 footprint in the 2nd story. And still allowing for 20x10 storage wings down each side for a/c, hot water heaters. Attic space? Will be building something of the like in the next year or so. Good luck
jmoore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2015, 06:54 AM   #3
Merc
Eight Point

Hunt In: Vanderpool

I'm following along as well
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2015, 01:11 AM   #4
cam6467
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore2006 View Post
I'll follow along. Plans look good. What's the eve height on the building. Have you thought of going taller with the building and giving your master a 20x20 footprint in the 2nd story. And still allowing for 20x10 storage wings down each side for a/c, hot water heaters. Attic space? Will be building something of the like in the next year or so. Good luck

The building will have 12' side walls. I'm keeping it a single story dwelling because it will eventually be home to my in-laws once my wife and I have saved enough to build the traditional home. Stairs and the elderly don't mix too well!

Last edited by cam6467; 08-29-2015 at 01:17 AM..
Old 08-29-2015, 01:13 AM   #5
cam6467
Four Point

Here's a look at the 3D sketch mueller came up with for my metal quote...
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440828929.590102.jpg
Views: 6016
Size:  57.8 KB

Last edited by cam6467; 08-29-2015 at 01:16 AM..
Old 09-28-2015, 12:03 PM   #6
LROSE
Eight Point

Any Progress on your build?
LROSE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2015, 10:30 AM   #7
tod
Ten Point

Hunt In: Zapata Co.

I have done exactly what your doing. Let me know if you have questions.
tod is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2015, 06:47 PM   #8
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

Thats gonna be a nice one.
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2015, 09:21 AM   #9
Throwin' Darts
Ten Point

following
Throwin' Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2015, 10:56 AM   #10
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Looks good. I wish I could convince my wife to live in one. I'm a home builder and at a quick glance, I'd remove the Peninsula in the kitchen and turn it to run parallel with the exterior wall as an island. Reason being is you have created a big kitchen currently but a bottleneck getting in and out. My inlaws have a kitchen design similar to this and it's a major issue. Also, I'd move the door on the same wall as the sink a little closer to the kitchen so you don't waste that space behind the couch. Unless you have a planned piece of furniture or decor to go there. Also, vault your ceilings and it will feel much larger than it is.

Last edited by Sticks&Strings; 09-30-2015 at 11:00 AM..
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2015, 09:20 PM   #11
cam6467
Four Point

Sticks&Strings, thanks for the advice. I have been busy as heck lately with work and haven't had a chance to play with the plans. I'll shift things around and see how it looks. I think you're on to something with the island idea. The door in the living area will be centered with the room.

I am currently in the process of buying 10 acres from my parents. Once that is done, I'll be doing the clearing and pad work myself. I'll have to hire out the slab, but I'll handle the rest.

We built a very similar house for my brother this year, so I'll know the curveballs to watch for!

My wife isn't the most thrilled about buying land from my folks, but the land is in a great town with a very strong school district. We have a four year old who will be starting kinder next year, so the clock is ticking for us!

I think she'll be on board once she sees the country kitchen and Vermont Castings wood burning stove I'm going to incorporate.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:32 PM   #12
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Subscribed...I love these builds. Good luck and congrats.
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2015, 06:04 AM   #13
XBowHunter
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Grayson/Cass

$110,000-130,000 after land purchase, should build you a really, really nice place.

i will start building a 40x50 building with 1200 sq ft living inside (in the next few months) and have everything budgeted under $50K.

building/foundation/septic gonna run around 30K.

Interior framing/appliances/hvac another 10-15K.

per BrianL's barndo thread:

foundation = $5-6 sq ft.
building = $10-12 sq ft
framing = $5-6 sq ft.

so far all of research has yielded about the same numbers that BrianL supplied. expecting some estimates on my foundation and building work in the next week.

Also, it's gonna cost me $2-3K to run my electric 700 feet from the road. will get an estimate on that and my septic work soon also.

i plan on doing as much of the work as i can to save, but i will need help with foundation/ hvac hook-up/ electric hook-up. will need some help framing the metal building also.

good luck, following...
XBowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2015, 06:34 AM   #14
DOUBLE.A
Ten Point

Hunt In: Houston County

Man I like it and I like the idea of the door and kitchen changes as well. So the left is housing, middle has a big roll up door and the right is just covered storage? Me and my wife want to do this as well. And def vault the ceilings. My living room isn't that large but feels big because it's vaulted.
DOUBLE.A is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2015, 12:01 PM   #15
savin yours
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBowHunter View Post
$110,000-130,000 after land purchase, should build you a really, really nice place.

i will start building a 40x50 building with 1200 sq ft living inside (in the next few months) and have everything budgeted under $50K.

building/foundation/septic gonna run around 30K.

Interior framing/appliances/hvac another 10-15K.

foundation = $5-6 sq ft.

building = $10-12 sq ft

framing = $5-6 sq ft.

so far all of research has yielded about the same numbers that BrianL supplied. expecting some estimates on my foundation and building work in the next week.

Also, it's gonna cost me $2-3K to run my electric 700 feet from the road. will get an estimate on that and my septic work soon also.

i plan on doing as much of the work as i can to save, but i will need help with foundation/ hvac hook-up/ electric hook-up. will need some help framing the metal building also.

good luck, following...

Who's doing your building? That's a great price
savin yours is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #16
BrandonH
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBowHunter View Post

Also, it's gonna cost me $2-3K to run my electric 700 feet from the road.
I wish I could get it done this cheap. I need 14-16 poles set @ $1k/pole.
BrandonH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2015, 09:05 PM   #17
XBowHunter
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by savin yours View Post
Who's doing your building? That's a great price
these are prices i got online but had a builder friend tell me they were close.

i plan on doing as much by myself if i can do.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:06 PM   #18
XBowHunter
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
I wish I could get it done this cheap. I need 14-16 poles set @ $1k/pole.
i will call and get a quote to confirm
Old 11-28-2015, 09:10 PM   #19
Bucksaw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jacksonville, Jasper, or Wherever Im invited

In for updates.
Bucksaw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2015, 02:41 AM   #20
DCJ
Spike

Hunt In: Looking

Subscribed.
DCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2015, 06:17 AM   #21
fulmer34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke, Runnels, Val Verde counties

Subscribed
fulmer34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2015, 08:42 AM   #22
tps7742
Ten Point

Default Costs

foundation = $5-6 sq ft.
building = $10-12 sq ft
framing = $5-6 sq ft.

These costs are a good ballpark figure plus pad prep of course. I had a 30x50x14 built last month.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2015, 09:14 AM   #23
MikeP
Nubbin' Buck

Sub
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2015, 11:25 AM   #24
cam6467
Four Point

I've got numbers for several contractors in the Somervell County area who specialize in steel building construction. I'm planning on making several calls tomorrow to get some idea of what this thing will run me to erect.

I'm going to hire out the foundation and shell, then I'll take over from there. It's always fun to try to guess at a ballpark figure for this thing, so I'll use BrianL's figures:

Foundation (@ $6 sqft):
~$16,560

Building (@ $12 sqft):
~$30,300

Framing (@ $6 sqft):
~$9,600

Approximate Grand Total:
~$56,460

Of course, you have to figure plumbing, electrical, HVAC, trim, windows, doors, etc.

What would you guys say is a good ballpark for this sort of building GRAND TOTAL (As in start to finish, completed, ready to move in)?

I will be finishing out the inside pretty much on my own. I will likely hire out the drywall, texture, painting, cabinets, and countertops.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:55 PM   #25
Zookeeper
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam6467 View Post
I've got numbers for several contractors in the Somervell County area who specialize in steel building construction. I'm planning on making several calls tomorrow to get some idea of what this thing will run me to erect.

I'm going to hire out the foundation and shell, then I'll take over from there. It's always fun to try to guess at a ballpark figure for this thing, so I'll use BrianL's figures:

Foundation (@ $6 sqft):
~$16,560

Building (@ $12 sqft):
~$30,300

Framing (@ $6 sqft):
~$9,600

Approximate Grand Total:
~$56,460

Of course, you have to figure plumbing, electrical, HVAC, trim, windows, doors, etc.

What would you guys say is a good ballpark for this sort of building GRAND TOTAL (As in start to finish, completed, ready to move in)?

I will be finishing out the inside pretty much on my own. I will likely hire out the drywall, texture, painting, cabinets, and countertops.
The hvac, plumbing, electric, doors windows etc. Will run you another 40-50k or more. Then the dry wall, cabinets, counter tops will bump it up even more. Getting the building up is the cheapest part.
I had some friends just finish this type of project 2 bedrooms. Ended up over 200k

Last edited by Zookeeper; 11-29-2015 at 02:02 PM..
Zookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2015, 02:02 PM   #26
cam6467
Four Point

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448822602.713043.jpg
Views: 4606
Size:  40.5 KB

I made some changes to the floor plan. My wife and I looked at the island vs. peninsula and decided that the peninsula would be better for us. I hope we don't have egg on our faces when it's all said and done, but I think the space between the peninsula and the pantry wall is a little more than 5'1". That should be free enough for comfort.

The little grey square is the wood burning stove. My wife said she likes the idea of having it be the focal point of the living area. I've researched ideas for stone heat barriers to go under and behind the stove from floor to ceiling.

The wrap around style porch is my wife's concept. She had a pretty good idea, too! I think the porch will make a great addition.

The 25' covered parking was moved to the opposite side of the building from where it was originally. We figured it would be better to have an unobstructed view from the kitchen/living windows. This change also enabled me to put the washer/dryer closer to the 4' door going into the kitchen from the shop. I'll also be placing a spare fridge, chest freezer, and ice maker out by the washer/dryer.

Any input, suggestions, critiques are welcome!!
Old 11-30-2015, 07:44 AM   #27
TKC
Six Point

Hunt In: Parker County

I would probably go with larger windows or more windows in the living room? With that awesome covered porch it would be really nice. I didn't put many on mine and I regret it. It can get to feeling closed in with out the windows. Just what I have learned on mine.
TKC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2015, 10:57 AM   #28
mogrin73
Four Point

Heres some hard numbers for you that I just paid in Grimes County, hope it helps. Im building a 33'x51' building, (all house) 1683sqft living. Plus 10'x51' porches front and back with a 33'x25' carport on 1 end. for the building, concrete and labor it was right at 54k.
mogrin73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2015, 11:50 AM   #29
cam6467
Four Point

Thanks mogrin. That's about what I was expecting for the shell. I'm just hoping to get out in the $120,000 range at this point.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:09 PM   #30
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrin73 View Post
Heres some hard numbers for you that I just paid in Grimes County, hope it helps. Im building a 33'x51' building, (all house) 1683sqft living. Plus 10'x51' porches front and back with a 33'x25' carport on 1 end. for the building, concrete and labor it was right at 54k.
Sounds like a heck of a deal...any pics?
Old 12-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #31
mogrin73
Four Point

ya I hear ya. Im sure it will end up just the way you want. As far as pics, that might be too much technology for me! haha I barely know how to get on TBH. ill see what I can do
mogrin73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2015, 01:21 PM   #32
GeauxGeaux
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: DeSoto Parish, All East Texas public lands

Subscribed.

Will be building one in DeSoto Parish, LA in a year or so. Budget will be around 140k. Land is free. I think I can have something pretty nice for that
GeauxGeaux is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2015, 01:46 PM   #33
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar, Dickens

Quote:

Foundation (@ $6 sqft):
~$16,560

Building (@ $12 sqft):
~$30,300

Framing (@ $6 sqft):
~$9,600

Approximate Grand Total:
~$56,460

Of course, you have to figure:

plumbing....With septic 16K, electrical $8K, HVAC $8K, trim(Sheetrock) $3.5K, windows $300/each, doors $300/each, Paint $2K etc. Flooring $3K Cabinets $12K Living INsulation $3.5k

See above....$110-120K

Last edited by BrianL; 12-01-2015 at 01:48 PM..
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2015, 01:51 PM   #34
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar, Dickens

Remember shop part only cost about $20/foot so no need to skimp there.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2015, 10:47 PM   #35
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Quote:
Attachment 759397

I made some changes to the floor plan. My wife and I looked at the island vs. peninsula and decided that the peninsula would be better for us. I hope we don't have egg on our faces when it's all said and done, but I think the space between the peninsula and the pantry wall is a little more than 5'1". That should be free enough for comfort.

The little grey square is the wood burning stove. My wife said she likes the idea of having it be the focal point of the living area. I've researched ideas for stone heat barriers to go under and behind the stove from floor to ceiling.

The wrap around style porch is my wife's concept. She had a pretty good idea, too! I think the porch will make a great addition.

The 25' covered parking was moved to the opposite side of the building from where it was originally. We figured it would be better to have an unobstructed view from the kitchen/living windows. This change also enabled me to put the washer/dryer closer to the 4' door going into the kitchen from the shop. I'll also be placing a spare fridge, chest freezer, and ice maker out by the washer/dryer.

Any input, suggestions, critiques are welcome!!
I'm not trying to convince you to do something you don't want, but tape off that 5' space and have two people stand shoulder to shoulder to see how it feels? Ever considered an island on hidden wheels that you could push up against the wall cabinets to make it look like a Peninsula or move it to be an island? Give you flexibility and an almost instantly kitchen remodel with no cost down the road if you want a new feel.
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #36
Allaroundhunt
Four Point

Hunt In: Wise County, TX, Hyatt and Union County,NC

I was in home building as well and second the suggestion to go to an island. You can always put in the pen. later but jackhammering the slab after the fact and redoing the floor will be enough of a headache if you find out you want it. It will also make the space feel larger with the island.
Allaroundhunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2015, 03:23 PM   #37
cmeadors
Eight Point

Hunt In: All Over

In. Will be building one this coming year in Bulverde. This is helpful
cmeadors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2015, 02:02 PM   #38
cam6467
Four Point

We have an executed contract on the land! Finally starting to seem more realistic.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:53 PM   #39
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Quote:
We have an executed contract on the land! Finally starting to seem more realistic.
Congrats....one step closer.

If you want to see it done right check out Ronny's (Duckhunter2007) thread awhile back. He and his wife did a lot of it themselves and I must say did a WHALE of a job. He has a whole lot better level skill sets than I do that's for sure! He did a great job chronologically taking us along. It was impressive!

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...t=Barndominium

Good luck again.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:03 PM   #40
tmkrueger
Ten Point

Good luck.
tmkrueger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-24-2015, 04:10 PM   #41
ballgame
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Tagged for later, can't wait to see it come together
ballgame is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2015, 09:53 PM   #42
vbarron
Spike

Hunt In: Willow City

Looking forward to seeing more
vbarron is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2015, 05:32 AM   #43
tmkrueger
Ten Point

That $6 a foot price for concrete is that Labor & all material?
Old 12-30-2015, 06:55 AM   #44
XBowHunter
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmkrueger View Post
That $6 a foot price for concrete is that Labor & all material?
yes, all inclusive.

i was just quote $5.50 per sq ft by 2 different companies
Old 12-30-2015, 02:08 PM   #45
tmkrueger
Ten Point

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2015, 02:42 PM   #46
jimmyneutrontx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady, Tx

Just started looking into the while barndominium options. In in Montgomery County so anyone who has built one in Montgomery County any input/guidance would be appreciated
jimmyneutrontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-02-2016, 10:02 PM   #47
cam6467
Four Point

Great news! My wife and I just became owners of 5 acres in Glen Rose. We closed yesterday and received the notice that funding took place this afternoon. We're so glad to finally have a chuck of land of our own!

We're going to spend some time out there this weekend with our daughters. We're hoping to have a road access and address established in the coming week.

Once the access is in, I'll be cutting the fence and beginning the road clearing phase. I'll be using our Kubota SVL-90-2 with newly acquired brushshark to cut a lame for the future road. There are quite a few large live oaks out there hidden away by cedar. I can't wait to get them revealed!

Unfortunately, it'll be a while before any real construction begins. My wife has taken the past few years off from teaching to raise the babies at home. One will begin kinder next year and the other is two years behind. We just don't have the money right now to get going as soon as I'd like.

I'm so glad for this site. There is a bunch of great build journals here from which I will draw inspiration. I hope some of y'all aren't too shy to offer some advice!

Thanks for following along...
Old 02-03-2016, 06:51 AM   #48
RascalArms
Pope & Young

^^^Well done sir...I know y'all are excited. Congrats.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:16 PM   #49
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Congrats!! Its a fun but stressful process...we are about halfway through with ours.
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2016, 05:25 PM   #50
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southeastern Oklahoma

Quote:
Great news! My wife and I just became owners of 5 acres in Glen Rose. We closed yesterday and received the notice that funding took place this afternoon. We're so glad to finally have a chuck of land of our own!

We're going to spend some time out there this weekend with our daughters. We're hoping to have a road access and address established in the coming week.

Once the access is in, I'll be cutting the fence and beginning the road clearing phase. I'll be using our Kubota SVL-90-2 with newly acquired brushshark to cut a lame for the future road. There are quite a few large live oaks out there hidden away by cedar. I can't wait to get them revealed!

Unfortunately, it'll be a while before any real construction begins. My wife has taken the past few years off from teaching to raise the babies at home. One will begin kinder next year and the other is two years behind. We just don't have the money right now to get going as soon as I'd like.

I'm so glad for this site. There is a bunch of great build journals here from which I will draw inspiration. I hope some of y'all aren't too shy to offer some advice!

Thanks for following along...

Congrats, sir. Looking forward to eventually following along. Enjoy the ride.
Booner Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top