Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 09-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #51
cy100
Four Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestimator View Post
cy100,
Where do you feel are some "less crowded" areas that I might enjoy? Sounds like you've got some experience out there? Tejas looks pretty filled up? I'm also planning on doing the "limited access" thing when they get that figured out.

Am I understanding you correctly that you and others have in fact placed and maintained stands and feeders at Lake G-town in the Summer, even thought the the website states...

Blinds, Stands and Feeders: Natural hunting blinds made of loose materials, Ashe Juniper (cedar) 3" and under in base diameter and portable blinds that are removed after each hunting trip are authorized for hunting deer, feral hogs or waterfowl. Hunting blinds or stands may not be nailed to trees. However, portable stands may be secured to trees with rope or wire if removed after each hunting trip. Feeders are authorized for deer and feral hog hunting. All blinds and feeders must be tagged with the owners name, address, phone number and date installed. Feeders may be set up one month prior to the archery season and must be removed prior to or on the last day of the deer season. All property failing to meet these requirements will be impounded. Hunters are encouraged to report all property failing to meet these requirements.

Is this OK to do?
Terri Beth acknowledged that there were practices that were " kind of OK" that went on that contradicted what the website said. Another example is the hunter education thing. Texas does not require folks in my age category to have a hunter education class, but the Lake G-town website said that you did. That is the reason that I never got around to entering the program until this year, when I and my buddy took a hunter safety course. When I went to pay the $10 registration fee, it said on that paperwork that I was exempt from the course because of my age. Oh well...
Folks also seemed to be unclear on the use of mountain bikes for hunting. Do you know what is really OK in regards to their use?

Thanks!
Don't get me wrong. If you ever tried to pull several hundred pounds of equipment and corns under 110 degree without lots of shade, and walked 1000 yrds or 1 mile, then, you will understand what I mean "hard work". Even, I didn't mention poison grass, skeeter, spider, rattles, ... I don't think it is hard to have this kind of weather in the early sept. People usually start to scout after they got permit in aug. I still conside this period of time is a summary time.
Again, you must tag your equipment, otherwise they will be removed by rangers. I know that happens on someone who didn't do that.
cy100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #52
kestimator
Eight Point

Hunt In: Where the fun and adventure is :)

Wow! ...and goodness! Thanks for the additional pointers and informationTXBowhunter2009! Seems like it is going to be a little different than I had envisioned.
kestimator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #53
Muzzy100
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over All The Time

Ok I hate to be the @$$ whole here but for the record you are allowed to set up your blind as soon as you get your permit. FYI I got my permit in the dead heat late this summer early fall and have busted my rear end to set up my blind and feeder and continue to maintain it and for what? Someone who is lazy and just wants to walk around and hope to shoot one. Indeed it is public land and you are entitled to do whatever method that is legal and suites you best but please just remember that as you walk around trying to kill your deer that you will be walking past and ruining a plethora of other hunter’s hunts. Realistically you would be better off finding a good spot and setting up an ambush more effectively than you would be just roaming around. I would say that if this was vast open country with a variety of terrain than go for it but its not. The area is limited in space and just look at the number of permits they have given out there is a lot of sets out there. I have scouted just about every area out at the lake and have seen countless hunters’ sets, so it is safe to say that they are out there and by aimlessly roaming around you will indeed ruin others hunts. Keep that in mind when your only justification to your plan is “well its public land and you can expect it.” Just my two cents I know its not going to change anybody else’s mind people will do whatever they want.
Muzzy100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #54
Muzzy100
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBowhunter2009 View Post
I went out yesterday. Things are lookin good, alot more deer and less coons on the cam!
good news, everything is starting to shape up good luck
Old 09-24-2010, 12:58 PM   #55
cy100
Four Point

Quote:
cy100,
Where do you feel are some "less crowded" areas that I might enjoy? Sounds like you've got some experience out there? Tejas looks pretty filled up? I'm also planning on doing the "limited access" thing when they get that figured out.
We are here to share our enjoyful moment and help each. No intend to point the finger.
The most reason I enjoy to hunt at public land is because there are more challenges. We do not only play with the games, but also have to "play" with other hunters. Keep in mind, if somewhere you can easily access, then it does so for others. I always look for some hard access places, or some places most people will ignore. You mentioned special hunt, it is one good way to away from crowd too, if you can hunt during weekday. Another way to away from crowd is to play the "time". If it is allowed, get one week off and concentrate on the hunt for 3-5 days. Since not many people do that, you will definitely find out you are alone in the field.
I did get some lucks in the past by all above methods. Hope it can give you some helps.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:05 PM   #56
cantexduck
Pope & Young

Hunt In: all over central Texas

Also, other hunting is taking place at the lake. A buddy and I had to deal with a few bowhunters who thought it was ok to cuss,yell and try to park his boat 10 yards from me while we were doing some other hunting.
cantexduck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #57
kestimator
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy100 View Post
We are here to share our enjoyful moment and help each. No intend to point the finger.
The most reason I enjoy to hunt at public land is because there are more challenges. We do not only play with the games, but also have to "play" with other hunters. Keep in mind, if somewhere you can easily access, then it does so for others. I always look for some hard access places, or some places most people will ignore. You mentioned special hunt, it is one good way to away from crowd too, if you can hunt during weekday. Another way to away from crowd is to play the "time". If it is allowed, get one week off and concentrate on the hunt for 3-5 days. Since not many people do that, you will definitely find out you are alone in the field.
I did get some lucks in the past by all above methods. Hope it can give you some helps.
Thanks for the productive comments and advice cy100!
Old 09-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #58
Coullion
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzy100 View Post
Ok I hate to be the @$$ whole here but for the record you are allowed to set up your blind as soon as you get your permit. FYI I got my permit in the dead heat late this summer early fall and have busted my rear end to set up my blind and feeder and continue to maintain it and for what? Someone who is lazy and just wants to walk around and hope to shoot one. Indeed it is public land and you are entitled to do whatever method that is legal and suites you best but please just remember that as you walk around trying to kill your deer that you will be walking past and ruining a plethora of other hunter’s hunts. Realistically you would be better off finding a good spot and setting up an ambush more effectively than you would be just roaming around. I would say that if this was vast open country with a variety of terrain than go for it but its not. The area is limited in space and just look at the number of permits they have given out there is a lot of sets out there. I have scouted just about every area out at the lake and have seen countless hunters’ sets, so it is safe to say that they are out there and by aimlessly roaming around you will indeed ruin others hunts. Keep that in mind when your only justification to your plan is “well its public land and you can expect it.” Just my two cents I know its not going to change anybody else’s mind people will do whatever they want.
Muzzy have you hunted out there before? If not, just a warning, this attitude is going to make your hunting horrible. If you hunt out there a significant amount of time, someone's going to walk up on you. I hunted out there 1 year and had enough. I had people camping at the parks and would walk right out by you to do their business. People always on the trail, lots of people let their dogs off of the leash until they see someone. Neighbor's that all have their own personal trails to the lake through the hunting area. Oh yea, all the neighbors have feeders too, so your competing against that. Then in Nov starts squirrel, rabbit, and dove hunters in the field. Then a little later you have duck hunters hitting the water. All this and I was getting out there by boat so I was a good ways away from the busy sections.

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of does and spikes to be shot if you set up correctly, but two years ago there were only about 5 bucks shot that were 13 inches. They usually don't get more than 20 buck permits. It's a great place to go if it's all you have, but expect to have your hunts screwed up by someone every now and then so that your not so upset when it happens.
Coullion is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #59
kestimator
Eight Point

Muzzy100,

You are entitled to you opinion and the right to state it, though not very maturely IMO.

If it is OK (I asked this question in an earlier post) to put up a feeder and blind before or even at the time that we received our permits, it is in contradiction to what is printed on the website. I'm asking these questions more in preparation for next year if these are acceptable and legal practices at the lake. I may go this route if it is really OK.

Choosing to not hunt a feeder does not necessarily make one lazy. I have killed quite a few animals at feeders and enjoyed it. However, my most memorable and enjoyable hunts have not had me setting over a pile of corn. I do prefer discovering game trails and staging near them versus hunting a feeder. I also like spot-in-stalk for the very nature of the challenge, though acknowledging its limits in regards to actually procuring game.
I welcome any productive / grown-up opinions. I would especially like (and do really appreciate the nice advice received already from a few) pointers and tips from those of you that are old hands at Lake G-town.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #60
Coullion
Eight Point

One other bit of advise, once gun season opens, your deer sightings will dwindle considerably, it will sound like WWIII, you'd swear there were snipers covering the entire property line.
Coullion is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2010, 02:00 PM   #61
HUNTING_COACH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Florence, Stonewall, Gillespie County, Anywhere I can

Does Georgetown even have a gun season? I thought it was bow hunting only. Didn't know they had a gun season.
HUNTING_COACH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #62
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX HillCountry, Granger WMA

I think your missing Muzzys point as I too am one of the many that worked to recieve thier permit and started scouting as soon as it was recieved. i have spent many days out there the last 2 months finding trails, sign, others setups to avoid etc... so that come opening season i have a go to spot to hunt (over feeder) and a few other sit and ambush trails as back ups. This being said I already have 4 individuals all in the same general area as mine setup this past week(a week and a half before season opener). I pass all the setups walking into mine. So what am I going to do..? Not much.. I will have to deal with it and get out to my setup even earlier to give them the common courtisy to not push deer out of the area although most did not care to give that common courtisy back and setup alittle farther away or off the trail leading back to the area I hunt. As far as spot and stalk, I dont think he meant to say that spot and stalk hunters are lazy, as more of the people that wait and decide to just start walking around opening weekend without scouting pre season. Do your homework find you some spots respect others setups and be ready come season opener... Yes it is Public land, and Yes people will do what they want... I just think its right to respect your fellow hunters around you and atleast figure out what is the best way to go about your hunt. Kestimator I think it had to do alot with your first post about doing it your way since your entitled to do what you want being public land... I do feelspot and stalk is an effective and fun way to harvest an animal but I dont think it will be the least bit effective hunting georgetown. Just IMHO. That being said goodluck to all and dont be afraid to ask questions so that we can make all of our hunting experiences the best they can be for being... "Public Land". Good day
TXFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #63
TXFireFighter
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX HillCountry, Granger WMA

Coach I think he is refering to the private areas that surround georgetown come rifle season and to the small game permit hunters that may hunt with shotguns. No rifle hunting allowed on georgetown. How you been?
TXFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #64
TXBowhunter2009
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lake Georgetown, DCNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coullion View Post
If not, just a warning, this attitude is going to make your hunting horrible.
x2.

It has already been said that the entire hunting program at Lake Georgetown in in jeapordy. If everybody out there is complaining, having rangers investigate issues, then we can probably all kiss the whole thing goodbye. We all have to learn to make the best out of what we have and to resolve our differences without causing more problems. If someone ruins your hunt by using this public land as they see fit (hiking, walking the dog, riding mtn. bikes, etc.) then all we can do is be the better man and walk away. If they are intentionally causing problems (hunter harassment) thats when we need to get the rangers involved. I guarantee that if we all cant get along, it might not happen again next year.

The answer to the question about year round feeders is no, it is not allowed. There are some feeders put out by the rangers in the wildlife management area that may be out all year. It's possible that those are what you have seen or heard about. It is also possible that some hunters may have left feeders out all year. If they did, they werent allowed to, they just broke the rules and didnt get caught. Season is about to start, so lets all put the indifferences behind us and enjoy the opportunity we have while we have it. Life is too short to butt heads with everybody!
TXBowhunter2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2010, 02:43 PM   #65
TXBowhunter2009
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTING_COACH View Post
Does Georgetown even have a gun season? I thought it was bow hunting only. Didn't know they had a gun season.
The only "gun season" they offer is for small game (dove, squirrel, rabbits, ducks). There are quite a few gun hunters on the surrounding properties though.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:20 PM   #66
Buckrunner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Georgetown, Graham, Anywhere invited

I will be swinging by on my mountain bike to say hello to everyone opening morning! What time should I come by your spot snipehunter?
Buckrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2010, 03:21 PM   #67
TXBowhunter2009
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckrunner View Post
I will be swinging by on my mountain bike to say hello to everyone opening morning! What time should I come by your spot snipehunter?
Old 09-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #68
Muzzy100
Ten Point

I wasn’t trying to make waves. I understand that best case scenario you will still have people come in on you but some of this can be avoided. After scouting an area in preseason you might be able to get a rough ideal of were higher concentrations of hunters are and thus possible try to avoid these areas if at all possible. And spot and stalk can be an effective means of harvesting deer, and most certainly can be more rewarding to some. However, some areas depending on the circumstances can be more difficult for this to be effective IMO. And hunting over bait is for some and not for others and I completely respect that but one can still hunt game trails very effectively without a feeder from a stationary point. Kestimator I apologize if I offended you I never intended to make waves I was just trying to help us all have the most successful season possible, I wish the best of luck to all this season and hope to see yall out in the field. I agree with TXbowhunter that we should all do are part to keep the program running and do what we can to help not only the rangers but other hunters as well enabling the continuation of the program for others to enjoy for years to come.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:25 PM   #69
Buckrunner
Eight Point

I am all jokes! No worries from me. I hunt across the fence...
Old 09-24-2010, 03:38 PM   #70
TXBowhunter2009
Ten Point

Hey yall, look at the doe on the left side of this pic. Only her face is shown. She looks ancient, her face is all black.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #71
Buckrunner
Eight Point

Are you sure it is a doe? Looks like his face a little.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:45 PM   #72
TXBowhunter2009
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckrunner View Post
Are you sure it is a doe? Looks like his face a little.

Hmmm.....could be, I just assumed it was a doe because that spike had a doe with him everytime he showed his face. Could be him I guess. He definitely shows some age. What side of the lake was he on?
Old 09-24-2010, 11:24 PM   #73
kestimator
Eight Point

Just got back in from retrieving a friend's feeder and blind outside of Cherokee; and then setting up another one. See...I'm not totally lazy

Sounds good to me Muzzy100! Hope that you have a good season!

Wise words TexasBowhunter2009!!!

Due to family obligations (i.e. taking kids to and from school, Tae Kwon Do, etc...), and work; I'll be limited to trying to hunt roughly between 10AM and 1PM. most days. I was thinking about trying entering Russell Park and hiking "way" in to hopefully get past any close set-ups. Will this put me in jeopardy of messing up any of your all's set-ups?

Sounds like it's going to be rather congested out their. Perhaps a jogging suit would be better camo
Old 09-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #74
Muzzy100
Ten Point

Question. If you see a doe first are you going to go ahead and take the shot or wait in hopes of seeing a legal buck? So early in the game,
What is everybody’s thoughts
Old 09-27-2010, 10:29 AM   #75
paintman
Ten Point

Hunt In: granger mostly

Probably take a doe,that's all that's been at my feeder
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2010, 11:03 AM   #76
Muzzy100
Ten Point

Agreed, I kind of feel if I am lucky enough to see a deer that a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush. Just thought I would see how everybody else felt.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:00 PM   #77
cy100
Four Point

First come, first serve. Unless see the boss is behind.

My feeder is still cold now. May have to go with plan B for the opening day.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #78
kestimator
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy100 View Post
First come, first serve. Unless see the boss is behind.

My feeder is still cold now. May have to go with plan B for the opening day.
I agree! If she's alone I would try to put her in the freezer.

There are a lot of acorns on the ground right now. This may be why you aren't seeing too much activity at your feeder.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #79
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Just got back in from retrieving a friend's feeder and blind outside of Cherokee; and then setting up another one. See...I'm not totally lazy

Sounds good to me Muzzy100! Hope that you have a good season!

Wise words TexasBowhunter2009!!!

Due to family obligations (i.e. taking kids to and from school, Tae Kwon Do, etc...), and work; I'll be limited to trying to hunt roughly between 10AM and 1PM. most days. I was thinking about trying entering Russell Park and hiking "way" in to hopefully get past any close set-ups. Will this put me in jeopardy of messing up any of your all's set-ups?

Sounds like it's going to be rather congested out their. Perhaps a jogging suit would be better camo
Yes! That puts you exactly under my tree stand. Well pretty close. I do not care though. Hunt my set up if you want.

I scouted and stupidly set-up right next to the new trail they are cutting LOL. Oh well, I'm too lazy to move it right now.

And yes I will shoot the first legal deer I can get to full draw on.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #80
TXBowhunter2009
Ten Point

Anybody know who this belongs to?

Old 09-27-2010, 06:25 PM   #81
cw3jperry5
Eight Point

Hunt In: Groveton, TX / Cameron, TX

Quote:

Sounds like you have a new neighbor.
cw3jperry5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2010, 06:28 PM   #82
TXBowhunter2009
Ten Point

Yep, to say he's 100 yards away would be stretching it.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #83
paintman
Ten Point

dang that sucks,i heard a feeder go off not way far off,guess i should have gotten further off the beaten path
Old 09-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #84
TXBowhunter2009
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
dang that sucks,i heard a feeder go off not way far off,guess i should have gotten further off the beaten path
Is this one yours?
Old 09-27-2010, 08:02 PM   #85
kestimator
Eight Point

Quote:
That's funny! !

RiverRat1....you have just moved way up in the new best friend line LOL!
Old 09-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #86
flav-dave
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: dcnf

does anyone know if we are allowed to leave boats trailered in the jim hogg parking lot overnight? seeing as how the ramps open at 6 might be pushing it a little to get to my hunting spot and settled before 645 or 7am...thanks!!!!
flav-dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2010, 10:04 PM   #87
Muzzy100
Ten Point

Quote:
Yep, to say he's 100 yards away would be stretching it.
Man I am sorry to hear that
Old 09-27-2010, 10:04 PM   #88
Muzzy100
Ten Point

Possible try and look at the name on it and contact them?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #89
paintman
Ten Point

Quote:
Is this one yours?
no sir not mine,i said not too far off but im sure it was further than less than a hundred yards
Old 09-27-2010, 11:18 PM   #90
TXBowhunter2009
Ten Point

Quote:
no sir not mine,i said not too far off but im sure it was further than less than a hundred yards
Ok, thanks for the reply. Just trying to figure out who my neighbor is, weather he's hunting weekdays or weekends, and if he new he was set up near someone. No blind or stand, just a feeder hanging all by itself. Wasn't there last time I went through that area.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:02 AM   #91
bigbowman91
Four Point

Hunt In: granger wma, lake georgetown

Goin to check tc tomorrow hopefully get some pics this time
bigbowman91 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #92
jmaustin
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Not sure who's that is either, but that tree in the backgroud sure looks tasty for a tree stand.

Too bad you would sticking out like a sore thumb with no limbs for cover.
jmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #93
Buckrunner
Eight Point

Quote:

I know him. He hunts the weekends and says he was pushed for time setting up. He is not on TBH and did not scout the area too well. I can help him move it this weekend if that is ok. Are you on weekends as well?
Old 09-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #94
TXBowhunter2009
Ten Point

PM sent Buckrunner
Old 09-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #95
HUNTING_COACH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Florence, Stonewall, Gillespie County, Anywhere I can

Hope all is well and everyone has success hunting Lake Georgetown. I know there are some huge deer out there, but getting one is another story. Be safe and respectful to others. I think that is all anyone is getting at.

TXFireFighter-we are good. Finally got settled and back into a routine. Found some land that we would like to buy, so hopefully we will get on that here pretty soon. How is the baby and momma? Hope all is well. Holler at me sometime.
HUNTING_COACH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2010, 04:37 PM   #96
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the reply. Just trying to figure out who my neighbor is, weather he's hunting weekdays or weekends, and if he new he was set up near someone. No blind or stand, just a feeder hanging all by itself. Wasn't there last time I went through that area.

I would not worry about it. Just remember most people stop hunting before the hunting even gets good out there. Most people hunt the first few weekends and thats it.

I set up a couple years ago early...on opening day I went out and heard 6 or 7 feeders go off LOL... After the first 2 I was mad..after 3 and 4 I was thinking ***? after 5,6, and 7 I gave up LOL...

Just 1 I would not worry about though...not until you see them hunting when you are..then you can talk to them.

I just go in by boat now..
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #97
TXBowhunter2009
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
I would not worry about it. Just remember most people stop hunting before the hunting even gets good out there. Most people hunt the first few weekends and thats it.

I set up a couple years ago early...on opening day I went out and heard 6 or 7 feeders go off LOL... After the first 2 I was mad..after 3 and 4 I was thinking ***? after 5,6, and 7 I gave up LOL...

Just 1 I would not worry about though...not until you see them hunting when you are..then you can talk to them.

I just go in by boat now..
I went in by boat. I'm not really concerned about him being there, I just wanted to let him know I was there, in case he's not aware. I know exactly what ya mean about people taking the best part of season off. Every year, its packed for 2 or 3 weekends then it seems like you've got the whole place to yourself. Not a problem with me!
Old 09-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #98
bigbowman91
Four Point

Hunt In: granger wma, lake georgetown

went out today and checked trail cam me and paintman should be dragging out at least a doe that monday night!!
bigbowman91 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2010, 09:17 PM   #99
Muzzy100
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbowman91 View Post
went out today and checked trail cam me and paintman should be dragging out at least a doe that monday night!!
Well thats good news let us know how it goes
Old 09-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #100
Muzzy100
Ten Point

More Cold Fronts On The Way Awesome