Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 04-26-2010, 10:10 PM   #1
mesquitecountry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Only Public Land :)
Exclamation AR/Tacticool Thread of Awesome! (AR Info here!)

Can we get a thread going talking about all things AR? Just kind of a barage of AR and Tacticool Gun related questions? How about it?

Just to start it off!

I really want a Magpul Lower! Though I could get an OBR for the same price! But man a 6.8 SBR with a Magpul Lower would be well.... you know what it is. I love me some Magpul products.

Chuck Norris stole a cupcake from Chris Costa.... once.

Chris Costa's beard is so awesome it stopped a .50 cal bullet in its tracks!

To test Pmags for durability Chris used to stare at them. None survived so they now use a picture, still almost none make it (hence the shortage).

This thread should be dedicated to AR and tacticool Mil type weapon builds and questions, of any type, that way there is a link to a single solitary thread, to keep the same questions from popping up!

So what builds are yall working on? Any sweet new awesomeness unveiled that anyone needs to know about?
mesquitecountry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
slacker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leaseless

Finished my Spikes lower with Magpul CTR, enhanced trigger guard, B.A.D. lever, CAA grip, RRA LPK, Superior Shooting trigger springs and Redi-Mag. Haven't had much time to fiddle with it. Will start building a Spikes upper pretty soon with YHM barrel, Troy MRF 13.8", low profile GB, flip sights, EOTech. Kinda still up in the air on certain things.

Last edited by slacker; 04-26-2010 at 10:21 PM..
slacker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

AR-15:

Underpowered varmint rifle burdened by a crummy magazine design. Nasty direct-impingement gas system that poops where it eats. High sight line, flimsy alloy-and-plastic construction. Generally favored by range commandos, tactical disciples, military vets who have never fired anything else for comparison, and Brownells addicts who a.) enjoy spending three times the cost on the rifle on bolt-on accoutrements, and b.) never have to use their rifle away from a dry, sunny range.

luv ya man
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2010, 10:22 PM   #4
mesquitecountry
Pope & Young

The Mosin-Nagant:
This unpronounceable rifle has a long history of military service. Napoleon reportedly had one. The unusually long 91/30 barrel combined with bayonet insures that it should be especially useful should a SHTF scenario involve the “redcoats” coming. The major drawback of this rifle is that it is a bolt action, which could make firing the prerequisite thousands of rounds at approaching bad guys difficult. However, if the Mosin owner and the bad guys are patient, one should be able to sling enough lead downrange by the time they are older than their rifle currently is. Like other eastern block rifles, the Mosin also is not black. This may be a possible reason why the Soviets lost the cold war. However, like the SKS and AK, western vendors have corrected this problem by offering an aftermarket stock in black. Unfortunately, none are available with a pistol grip. If Napoleon’s Mosin had a pistol grip, he may have very well conquered the world, but that’s another discussion. Other “carbine” type Mosins are also available, which would be the perfect compliment if one’s SHTF plan includes charging at bad guys on horseback while wearing a fur hat, swinging a curved saber and swilling a bottle of vodka.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
mesquitecountry
Pope & Young

Some more favorites!

Here you go Mike!

Glock:

Butt-ugly plastic shooting appliance with the ergonomics of a caulking gun. Five-pound trigger with no external safety makes it ill suited for its target market (cops who shoot a hundred rounds a year for qualification). Favored by gangbangers because the product name is short and rhymes with other short, rap-friendly words.

10mm Auto:

Super-high pressure cartridge that beats up gun and shooter alike. Very brisk recoil in anything other than all-steel S&W boat anchors, with a shot recovery that’s measured in geological epochs for most handgun platforms. Often underloaded to wimpy levels (see “.40 S&W”), which then gives it 9mm ballistics while requiring .45ACP magazine real estate.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
leebtattoos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: lampasas, sabinal, and where ever i can

i have no clue what yall are talking about, but Travis, i sure like shooting them
leebtattoos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #7
sneedb82
Eight Point

Hunt In: 123456

I have a 6.8SPC Spr..... 18" wilson combat barrel, fluted, stainless steel, AAC mount. Using a Spikes Tactical lower and an UBR stock. Sucker is heavy! But fun.

Next will be an M4gery.... an A2 w/ no optics for Appleseed and just plain rifle marksmanship training for anybody who wants to learn.

And last, which won't happen until next year, will be a 6.8 SBR 10.5", with matching 5.56 upper.

Favorite things: Magpul Pmags, CTR, Enhanced triggers, and ranger plates. I dream in FDE.... I want a UDE colored OBR

Needless to say, I have expensive tastes.... Oh.... and I got to hold an SR15 and an LWRC REPR this weekend. I'm in love!

EDIT TO ADD:

a picture is worth a thousand words:

Pre-UBR
sneedb82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2010, 10:33 PM   #8
Dr. D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bosque Co. and anyplace else I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebtattoos View Post
i have no clue what yall are talking about, but Travis, i sure like shooting them
Ditto!
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #9
mesquitecountry
Pope & Young

Awesome! Only thing I am hot on is removing weight, I love my Larue, but man I hate a heavy gun, my 16" and SBR's all stay with lightweight rail systems. KAC Ras M4 or Magpul MOE handguards with Ergo rails.

My 6.8 is going with a Magpul MOE middy handguard.
Kind of annoyed though, my spikes build is 4 weeks out!! Grr!

I'm starting my M40A3 build now as well!

After that is a M40A3 in 300 win, and a target .22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneedb82 View Post
I have a 6.8SPC Spr..... 18" wilson combat barrel, fluted, stainless steel, AAC mount. Using a Spikes Tactical lower and an UBR stock. Sucker is heavy! But fun.

Next will be an M4gery.... an A2 w/ no optics for Appleseed and just plain rifle marksmanship training for anybody who wants to learn.

And last, which won't happen until next year, will be a 6.8 SBR 10.5", with matching 5.56 upper.

Favorite things: Magpul Pmags, CTR, Enhanced triggers, and ranger plates. I dream in FDE.... I want a UDE colored OBR

Needless to say, I have expensive tastes.... Oh.... and I got to hold an SR15 and an LWRC REPR this weekend. I'm in love!

EDIT TO ADD:

a picture is worth a thousand words:

Pre-UBR
Old 04-26-2010, 10:59 PM   #10
sneedb82
Eight Point

Hunt In: 123456

Agree with the weight issue. The Troy TRX Extreme is light, but not nearly as light as the DD Lite Rail or the URX... However, for my purposes, the Troy will stay on there. it's only heavy because of the bipod and bipod mount. They add almost as much weight to the barrel as the barrel itself. And the barrel is only 28 oz...fluted in addition.

The UBR is heavy, but it balances the muzzle rise with the 6.8 on a bipod *if you're not holding it, you need more balance*.
sneedb82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2010, 11:09 PM   #11
Dr. D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bosque Co. and anyplace else I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesquitecountry View Post
Awesome! Only thing I am hot on is removing weight, I love my Larue, but man I hate a heavy gun, my 16" and SBR's all stay with lightweight rail systems. KAC Ras M4 or Magpul MOE handguards with Ergo rails.

My 6.8 is going with a Magpul MOE middy handguard.
Kind of annoyed though, my spikes build is 4 weeks out!! Grr!

I'm starting my M40A3 build now as well!

After that is a M40A3 in 300 win, and a target .22
Travis call, text, or pm me!
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2010, 05:17 AM   #12
Bily Lovec
Pope & Young

just bolted the optics on the 6.8 last night
tommyH is assembling my last complete lower now, pics to follow tonight

travis, I agree,
there is nothing cooler than a china-doll lower from Magpul
Bily Lovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2010, 06:44 AM   #13
mesquitecountry
Pope & Young

Today's Debate.

Which Grip system/design do you prefer best? Rank your top 3.

I have to go with Ergo ergonomics, angle that my hand slides into, grip is phenomenal, durability is good, storage is decent.

Second I have to go with Hogue overmolded, decent grip, decent storage, kiss design

Magpul MIAD pre rubber over mold, rubber over molding may move it up the list, best storage, half decent grip, ok angle, needs rubber.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:51 AM   #14
jbitt4x4
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My backyard..in the mountains of PA, mountains of WV, Ohio and Maryland for Sika soon!

Man yall are making me drool and want a black rifle bad......must...get... wife's bow first
jbitt4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2010, 07:56 AM   #15
Maddox
Ten Point

Two more weeks and my OBR should be here.

Decided this week that Im going to put together a 300 whisper now that CorBon is selling bullets for it.

If you want a good laugh, check out the Costa photoshop thread going on in the General Section on ARFCOM.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2010, 08:34 AM   #16
RedTx
Eight Point

Hunt In: Denton, Wise counties

Quote:
Today's Debate.

Which Grip system/design do you prefer best? Rank your top 3.

I have to go with Ergo ergonomics, angle that my hand slides into, grip is phenomenal, durability is good, storage is decent.

Second I have to go with Hogue overmolded, decent grip, decent storage, kiss design

Magpul MIAD pre rubber over mold, rubber over molding may move it up the list, best storage, half decent grip, ok angle, needs rubber.
I would say you are dead on with your suggestions. Love my egro's the bst
RedTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2010, 09:08 AM   #17
OPC Patrick
Ten Point

OK... if you are going to talk about super cool things lets add pics so I know what the heck we are discussing.
OPC Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2010, 09:19 AM   #18
Beerkat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Any of you guys know anything about POF ar15's? Looking to buy one but would like more feedback.... Thanks
Beerkat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #19
DXTApache
Six Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County

This is off topic for today's conversation regarding grips, but...

Has anyone got word on whether or not rob_s has had a chance to visit the Spike's shop? I'm interested in his feedback...
DXTApache is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2010, 11:00 AM   #20
Bily Lovec
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXTApache View Post
This is off topic for today's conversation regarding grips, but...

Has anyone got word on whether or not rob_s has had a chance to visit the Spike's shop? I'm interested in his feedback...
he spent 5-6 hours there friday i believe.
he hasnt posted his report yet, see my lower post.

Last edited by Bily Lovec; 04-27-2010 at 11:12 AM..
Old 04-27-2010, 11:05 AM   #21
Maddox
Ten Point

Hum, wonder what the bad means. Spikes grew VERY QUICKLY there, I wonder if there are some pretty serious growing pains that are arising.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:09 AM   #22
Bily Lovec
Pope & Young

here ya go, a quick note from Rob,
it all seems good so far...
spike's

Quote:
If anyone is waiting to pull the trigger on a purchase one way or another based on the 6 hours I spent at Spike's and the one day and 1k rounds I spent with a sample of one of their guns, don't. I don't merit that kind of control over anybody's purchases.

We shot just at 1k rounds on Saturday, 660 Wolf, about 250 XM193, and about 90 Black Hills 75 grain blue box. I'll post more about this as I correspond more with Spike's.

If you are concerned that they are using DPMS LPKs, don't be. If you are concerned that they are using imported junk bolts or other parts, don't be. If you suspect that a lot of the parts Spike's is using are the same ones that many of the respected brands are using, you are probably right.

I am writing an article on my visit and the rifle for Black Guns magazine so I need to be careful not to "scoop" myself. I will say this though, in the $1k and under market Spike's would be my first choice, albeit without the spider logo. The good news is that EVERY gun is built to order when the order comes in so you can get it how you want it provided they have or can get the parts you want.

In general I was very impressed with Tom and his staff.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #23
Bily Lovec
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
Hum, wonder what the bad means. Spikes grew VERY QUICKLY there, I wonder if there are some pretty serious growing pains that are arising.
maddox,
I may not should use the word bad, growing pains may be better... Im going to edit that post.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #24
DXTApache
Six Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County

Thanks a bunch, Bily

BCM is out of stock on the upper I have been wanting to purchase, and I noticed I could get a similar setup from Spikes (with the addition of a CHF bbl) for about the same price. All this waiting is making my head spin!
DXTApache is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #25
hawkusmc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere my country needs me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
AR-15:

Underpowered varmint rifle burdened by a crummy magazine design. Nasty direct-impingement gas system that poops where it eats. High sight line, flimsy alloy-and-plastic construction. Generally favored by range commandos, tactical disciples, military vets who have never fired anything else for comparison, and Brownells addicts who a.) enjoy spending three times the cost on the rifle on bolt-on accoutrements, and b.) never have to use their rifle away from a dry, sunny range.

luv ya man
Old Marines don't have that problem!

Name:  m1a.jpg
Views: 15485
Size:  5.9 KB
hawkusmc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #26
Joey~AP
Administrator

Hunt In: Texas
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPC Patrick View Post
OK... if you are going to talk about super cool things lets add pics so I know what the heck we are discussing.
Seriously!

And make sure they are posted from your hard drive.....so those of us with regulated comps can drool over em!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
()_)--()_)---o-)_)
Joey~AP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #27
McWilliams
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mason county

I'll just leave this right here...
http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=135459 but You know what, I still like My .308 bolt gun a lot more...
McWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2010, 06:04 PM   #28
mesquitecountry
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkusmc View Post

Attachment 159664

All in good fun!!

M14/M1A:

Clunky, heavy, and overpowered. Essentially a Garand tarted up with a removable magazine, in a half-baked attempt to adapt a 19th century rifle design philosophy to the mid-20th century. Most often named as favorite infantry rifle by people who never had to hump a 10-pound wood-stocked rifle with lots of sharp protrusions and no collapsible anything on a three day exercise, or try to make it through a firefight with the standard battle load of five 20-round magazines.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #29
mesquitecountry
Pope & Young

Great post and insight Billy!

My Rem 700 SPS tac showed up today! Sending off the bolt tomorrow, waiting on parts to finish up! Can't wait till this one is done!
Old 04-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #30
texag93
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panhandle

My "in progress" tacticool project is RR SBR 9mm w/ YH can. SBD!

...and debating converting my R25 to......260Rem. Not that tacticool, just cool.

Last edited by texag93; 04-27-2010 at 06:29 PM..
texag93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #31
Cottonfish
Ten Point

Hunt In: Smith County, Fredericksburg, Encinal when invited..

You guys give a fella an inferiority complex..........I'm still saving for my very own TA33G-H ACOG. Been mostly accuumulating ammo lately, about to start a little reloading of a bunch of mixed-bag range pickup brass that I have. Any favorite load recipies for 55-62 grain FMJ's out of my 16" 1/9 twist barrel?

Stu
Cottonfish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #32
Little Shark
Eight Point

Hunt In: Uvalde

I have no idea what stuff is on here, but it is a .223 bought it from Academy for my first but not last rifle.
Attached Images

Little Shark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #33
Joey~AP
Administrator

Hunt In: Texas

5C2 inbound!

Name:  yhm_28-5C2.jpg
Views: 14841
Size:  6.5 KB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
()_)--()_)---o-)_)
Joey~AP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2010, 10:39 PM   #34
OPC Patrick
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPC Patrick View Post
darn filters at work... I can see the pics now
OPC Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2010, 05:36 AM   #35
Maddox
Ten Point

Old 04-28-2010, 06:07 AM   #36
mesquitecountry
Pope & Young

Sweet Loot Maddox! Any new projects?

Can you explain the draw of the UBR stock? I always hear everyone crow about them but have never used one. I don't like how the parts separate, seems like there would be a weakness where they lock together.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:09 AM   #37
Maddox
Ten Point

Im working on a bolt gun now and I still have 4 ARs I need to finish.

The UBR stock is SOLID. You could literally beat someone to death with it and it wouldn't show any abuse. If you get a chance, check one out.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:24 AM   #38
mesquitecountry
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey~AP View Post
5C2 inbound!

Attachment 159823
Joey, just go ahead and upgrade it to a phantom mount and buy you a can!

Quote:
Im working on a bolt gun now and I still have 4 ARs I need to finish.

The UBR stock is SOLID. You could literally beat someone to death with it and it wouldn't show any abuse. If you get a chance, check one out.
I'm working on my bolt guns as well, i think they may be more addictive than AR's. Ill have to put a UBR on my SBR build, can't decide if I want my SBR to be a 5.56 or 6.8, though I can interchange either. Thoughts? I know what Paul is going to say. What kind of bolt are you working on?

Last edited by mesquitecountry; 04-28-2010 at 06:30 AM..
Old 04-28-2010, 07:08 AM   #39
Maddox
Ten Point

Quote:
Joey, just go ahead and upgrade it to a phantom mount and buy you a can!

I'm working on my bolt guns as well, i think they may be more addictive than AR's. Ill have to put a UBR on my SBR build, can't decide if I want my SBR to be a 5.56 or 6.8, though I can interchange either. Thoughts? I know what Paul is going to say. What kind of bolt are you working on?
556 ammo is easier to get and thats why all my ARs at 556. I will probably build 1 of my last lowers into a 300 whisper just for fun, but I hate shopping for ammo. 556, 308, 9mm, 45 is about all I buy. I do have a 380 that I carry alot, but I purchased 5 boxes of Defense Ammo for it.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:14 AM   #40
mesquitecountry
Pope & Young

Quote:
556 ammo is easier to get and thats why all my ARs at 556. I will probably build 1 of my last lowers into a 300 whisper just for fun, but I hate shopping for ammo. 556, 308, 9mm, 45 is about all I buy. I do have a 380 that I carry alot, but I purchased 5 boxes of Defense Ammo for it.
Pretty much exactly what I buy as well. I wanted a little more thump for hog hunting at night, that is why I went 6.8 on this build. I'd love a whisper, but, like you said, finding ammo sucks.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:22 AM   #41
Maddox
Ten Point

Corbon started selling 300 whisper ammo, which is why Im even considering it. I order two AAC SCAR-H SD suppressors this week and think a 14.5" 300 whisper w/ pinned AAC MITER Mount and Scar-H would make one hell of a gun. I just need to find a good match barrel for the 300 Whisper and a low profile gas block that allows me to turn off the gas while suppressed and I will start this project.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:39 AM   #42
bdphunt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Taylor and Shackelford County

I just put a quad rail on my S&W M&P 15A. I have mounted a light, but now I need a forend grip. Any suggestions? I don't want to break the bank on the grip, but I want a functional one and I like the idea of a battery compartment. What do you guys like?
bdphunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2010, 09:56 AM   #43
Maddox
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdphunt View Post
I just put a quad rail on my S&W M&P 15A. I have mounted a light, but now I need a forend grip. Any suggestions? I don't want to break the bank on the grip, but I want a functional one and I like the idea of a battery compartment. What do you guys like?
Larue FUG
Tango Down
Magpul

Magpul will be the cheapest, Larue the most expensive, and Tango down in the middle.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #44
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

What's an AR?
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2010, 11:32 AM   #45
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
What's an AR?

I think it's tied to banking....like an 'Account Reduction' device or something of the like??
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #46
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
I think it's tied to banking....like an 'Account Reduction' device or something of the like??
Amen on that!

I try not to think about how much more money I could have........uhhhhhh that is if I owned any of those scary things.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #47
JBS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can find a friendly invitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkusmc View Post

Attachment 159664
Hawk, your missing an accessory
Attached Images

JBS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #48
mesquitecountry
Pope & Young

Quote:
Larue FUG
Tango Down
Magpul

Magpul will be the cheapest, Larue the most expensive, and Tango down in the middle.
Pretty much sums it up well. Daniel Defense has a
decent one as well. It really depends on how you want it to fit your hand.

Broomstick skinny, fat and stubby, long and fat.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #49
BuckySWT
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County

here's what mine will be...parts have been shipped:
DPMS Lower
Stag 6H upper
Vortex crossfire 4x16x50 illum mil dot
Vortex Tactical Rings
AR Gold trigger
Ergo Ambi Grip (OD)
Magpul CTR Stock (OD)

Might have everything all together by the weekend depending on if the upper shipped. Not sure when the trigger will be here...got a receipt, but no shipping info (checking in to it).

Bring on the zombies
BuckySWT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #50
hawkusmc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere my country needs me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBS View Post
Hawk, your missing an accessory
Sweet! oo-RAH!
I don't care what the "kids" say!

Jest Kiddin'