Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-20-2017, 12:20 PM   #1
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas
Default PSA: Blue Buffalo dog food recall

http://wqad.com/2017/03/20/blue-buff...e-health-risk/
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
Parramore
Six Point

Hunt In: King County

My wife is a Vet and she says this food is garbage. The fat content is too high and will end up killing your dog with high blood pressure, heart disease, and litany of other issues. Do not feed this to your dogs or cats, regardless of the recall.
Parramore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parramore View Post
My wife is a Vet and she says this food is garbage. The fat content is too high and will end up killing your dog with high blood pressure, heart disease, and litany of other issues. Do not feed this to your dogs or cats, regardless of the recall.
Don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm curious as to what she would recommend. I have a picky JRT.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
recar
Ten Point

Quote:
what would she recommend?
recar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #5
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

Quote:

I quit feeding it when they got caught lying about ingredients a couple years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 01:03 PM   #6
WItoTX
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin

Quote:
BB is far more natural than anything else out there. My dogs do very well on it. In for recommendations...And thanks for the recall notice.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 01:08 PM   #7
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hondo,Tx / Oklahoma

Is this the dog food that contains rice, whole grain oats and other stuff dogs never would realistically eat in the wild but makes the owner feel warm and cozy?
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 01:10 PM   #8
TUCO
Pope & Young

Location: Rockwall Co. TX Photography:CANON 50D Videography:SONY Pd 170
Hunt In: Webb

It's hard to beat Victor Hi-Pro Plus.

Name:  Victor.JPG
Views: 492
Size:  21.7 KB
TUCO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 01:12 PM   #9
systemnt
Pope & Young

I feed Old Roy.. but I know i've seen threads in past that TBH members use BB so figured it was a good pda
Old 03-20-2017, 01:15 PM   #10
jer_james
Ten Point

I pay too much for Fromm's - We like the grain free red meat recipe.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 01:15 PM   #11
WItoTX
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
Is this the dog food that contains rice, whole grain oats and other stuff dogs never would realistically eat in the wild but makes the owner feel warm and cozy?
Lol, I think that's about 90% of them out there.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #12
txrhodes
Four Point

Merrick Grain Free is one of the best foods you can buy from the research I have done for my dogs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
txrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 01:34 PM   #13
brandonsbird02
Four Point

Hunt In: Henderson county

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCO View Post

Attachment 846590
That's all we feed but the salmon version.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
brandonsbird02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 01:39 PM   #14
BrandonH
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCO View Post

Attachment 846590
This is what I've been feeding or goldendoodle with good results.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
BrandonH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 01:46 PM   #15
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
This is what I've been feeding or goldendoodle with good results.

Where do y'all find that ? I may have passed it in Walmart, but I'm never looking at dog food brands.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #16
BrandonH
Pope & Young

I order from Amazon...it's Prime so I get it in 2 days.

BrandonH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #17
brandonsbird02
Four Point

Hunt In: Henderson county

U won't find it at Wal-Mart. I get it from a local feed store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
brandonsbird02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 02:44 PM   #18
Parramore
Six Point

Purina Pro is what we are feeding the bird dog. https://www.proplan.com/

We also have a pug with a weight issue so he gets Science Diet blend. Stuff is pricey but helps with his weight and his movement.

She said for basically all general needs, Iams is great base dog food without a ton of filler or garbage in it, if you cannot afford Purina or Science Diet. Had a lab live 14 great years on Iams so I'm sold on it once the bird dog stops being a puppy.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:49 PM   #19
Parramore
Six Point

WItoTX - I'd go ahead and say that you are wrong about the " far more natural" aspect of this food. It is way to high in fat content. Your dogs may be fine now, but keep feeding them that food and you will see serious health issues starting around 5-6 years old. I would suggest you ask a few people who have a Dr. in front of their name before you spread bad information. Not trying to be ***, but if you eat a bacon burger everyday, you'll be ok for a while, but eventually you'll have a heart attack with that much fat in your diet. Same goes for dogs.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:50 PM   #20
redfishted
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas, Iowa

Exclusive Lamb and Brown Rice, it's what's for dinner, but it ain't cheep.
redfishted is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 03:08 PM   #21
offthemap
Eight Point

Hunt In: Houston, Anderson, Cherokee, Smith, Callahan

I've had to do a TON of research on dog foods & their ingredients, and I like several foods by Victor (headquartered and manufactured in Mt. Pleasant, TX!), Taste of the Wild, Fromm, and Merrick. However, I choose Taste of the Wild - Pacific Salmon flavor because it's grain free, is available from my local TSC stores (and if it's not at TSC I can get it thru amazon prime for about $1 more per 30lb bag), and it's priced right being in the mid-high range. It is a small kibble and has a good protein/fat ratio for my fickle GSP. She's skin and bones and points/runs in my backyard all day but if I give her anything above about 28% protein content her bowels become liquid and she will pass the food too quickly.

Believe me, I'm no vet nor do I claim to be an expert (at dog food anyways LOL). My yellow "I will eat anything you put in front of me" labrador had Panosteitis when he was young and at the time my vet thought it could be food related. Hence my decade long study of dog foods.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...food-30-lb-bag

Another good attribute is that it seems both of my dogs SHED LESS year around than when I've fed other foods lower quality. I suspect you'd see those same type of results from any grain free, fish-based protein diet from the higher end brands.
offthemap is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #22
MySRT8U
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Boerne and anywhere else I can find

Quote:
Purina Pro is what we are feeding the bird dog. https://www.proplan.com/

We also have a pug with a weight issue so he gets Science Diet blend. Stuff is pricey but helps with his weight and his movement.

She said for basically all general needs, Iams is great base dog food without a ton of filler or garbage in it, if you cannot afford Purina or Science Diet. Had a lab live 14 great years on Iams so I'm sold on it once the bird dog stops being a puppy.
sorry man, I was with you until you said you're feeding your dog purina pro. I don't feed blue buffalo, but there is no way blue buffalo is worse than purina pro.
MySRT8U is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #23
MySRT8U
Pope & Young

I feed my dogs NULO. It's made by the hippies up in Austin. I buy it on Chewy.com and it is shipped directly to my door automatically each month. It's incredibly convenient.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:20 PM   #24
TUCO
Pope & Young

Location: Rockwall Co. TX Photography:CANON 50D Videography:SONY Pd 170
Hunt In: Webb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post

Where do y'all find that ?

Our local feed stores sell it.

Hi-Pro Plus is the top seller in Victor’s line.
TUCO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2017, 11:16 PM   #25
AZST_bowhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rusk County

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySRT8U View Post
sorry man, I was with you until you said you're feeding your dog purina pro. I don't feed blue buffalo, but there is no way blue buffalo is worse than purina pro.
Actually had a vet tell me 4 years ago the he feeds his dog purina pro..told me not to use BB (he called it a scam). He mentioned the two brands he sold at his practice were good, then called them to pricy lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
AZST_bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2017, 06:24 AM   #26
MySRT8U
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
Actually had a vet tell me 4 years ago the he feeds his dog purina pro..told me not to use BB (he called it a scam). He mentioned the two brands he sold at his practice were good, then called them to pricy lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I don't care what he feeds his dog. Google some stories on purina pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-21-2017, 06:44 AM   #27
WItoTX
Eight Point

Quote:
WItoTX - I'd go ahead and say that you are wrong about the " far more natural" aspect of this food. It is way to high in fat content. Your dogs may be fine now, but keep feeding them that food and you will see serious health issues starting around 5-6 years old. I would suggest you ask a few people who have a Dr. in front of their name before you spread bad information. Not trying to be ***, but if you eat a bacon burger everyday, you'll be ok for a while, but eventually you'll have a heart attack with that much fat in your diet. Same goes for dogs.
M dogs are 8 and 9 right now. They don't lay around. We are out and moving, working 5 days a week. The fat and protein is what they need. Before this, they were on Science Diet High energy, which is far higher in fat than BB. At that point, we were running 20+ miles a week. If we had been on cheaper food, they would have eaten more than double to get the protein and fat they needed to keep weight on.

Also, the recall was related to wet dog food. The BB wilderness stuff is good for dogs as well.

My dogs get bloodwork done routinely. My pointer for example, has Addison's Disease. So she gets blood tested twice a year. Every reading she has, she is in exemplary health (Except Na, K, and Cl). So her health is tracked. Not trying to be an *** but they aren't eating cheeseburgers every day.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:49 AM   #28
WItoTX
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthemap View Post
I've had to do a TON of research on dog foods & their ingredients, and I like several foods by Victor (headquartered and manufactured in Mt. Pleasant, TX!), Taste of the Wild, Fromm, and Merrick. However, I choose Taste of the Wild - Pacific Salmon flavor because it's grain free, is available from my local TSC stores (and if it's not at TSC I can get it thru amazon prime for about $1 more per 30lb bag), and it's priced right being in the mid-high range. It is a small kibble and has a good protein/fat ratio for my fickle GSP. She's skin and bones and points/runs in my backyard all day but if I give her anything above about 28% protein content her bowels become liquid and she will pass the food too quickly.

Believe me, I'm no vet nor do I claim to be an expert (at dog food anyways LOL). My yellow "I will eat anything you put in front of me" labrador had Panosteitis when he was young and at the time my vet thought it could be food related. Hence my decade long study of dog foods.

Another good attribute is that it seems both of my dogs SHED LESS year around than when I've fed other foods lower quality. I suspect you'd see those same type of results from any grain free, fish-based protein diet from the higher end brands.
"Shed Less"...I am now going to check it out. I hate cleaning tile floors every other day from March til October haha
Old 03-21-2017, 06:51 AM   #29
Stins
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan Cty & Woodbury Cty Iowa

this explains a lot. the breeder I got my new lab pup from started the dogs off on Blue Buffalo and then they all ended up with stomach issues and we had to put them on some medicine and switch food.

We ended up on Hills, which so far had been great.
Stins is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2017, 06:57 AM   #30
jer_james
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stins View Post
this explains a lot. the breeder I got my new lab pup from started the dogs off on Blue Buffalo and then they all ended up with stomach issues and we had to put them on some medicine and switch food.

We ended up on Hills, which so far had been great.
Our breeder started ours on BB as well. Never seemed to get a consistent result from the pup (American Bulldog). We switched to Fromm's because of the grain free and large amount of protein.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2017, 07:09 AM   #31
MySRT8U
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
"Shed Less"...I am now going to check it out. I hate cleaning tile floors every other day from March til October haha

Cook them up some eggs in coconut oil two or three times a week and the shedding will almost disappear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-21-2017, 07:38 PM   #32
AntlerMax
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishted View Post
Exclusive Lamb and Brown Rice, it's what's for dinner, but it ain't cheep.
Does your Purina dealer offer the Frequent Purchase program to you...?

It's a Buy 8, Get a Free Bag...

Customer only has to pay the sales tax on the free bag..
AntlerMax is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2017, 07:40 PM   #33
zztex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthemap View Post

$49 for 30 lbs? I'll pass
zztex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2017, 08:02 PM   #34
offthemap
Eight Point

Hunt In: Houston, Anderson, Cherokee, Smith, Callahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztex View Post
$49 for 30 lbs? I'll pass
Cool!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
offthemap is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2017, 03:12 PM   #35
jaime1982
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

This is what we fee our dogs but it isnt cheap. No BB for us

jaime1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2017, 03:15 PM   #36
systemnt
Pope & Young

Looks like that food has more canine in it than bison....judging by the packaging
Old 03-22-2017, 03:45 PM   #37
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

My Catahoula gets this. So far so good.

Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top