Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 02-25-2017, 08:39 AM   #1
PSE-Madman
Six Point

Hunt In: Kimble, Grayson, and Collin counties
Default landowner asked us to plant spring food plots

So my hunting partner and I have a unique situation. We hunt for free in exchange for helping the landowner meet the wildlife tax exemption. In essence he saves on taxes the equivalent of what we would pay in lease fees. its a win win for both sides considering he is a little older, he saves money and helps us out, we have strong backs, willingness to work hard, and improve his fences, put in gates, clean the property, and keep a good eye on it (physical presence and cameras everywhere).

We mow several times a year and plant about 8 acres of winter/fall plots (oats, cow peas, wheat, turnips, clover, and i think I'm missing something..its justin seed co fall deer mix..

He called me yesterday and said "lets get the tractors out and plant spring plots." so of course I never tell him no and got myself in this project not knowing what will grow.

so enough with the story. I need help. we are located on the grayson/collin county line and have a great mix of dirt considering we are on a river bottom. I have a tractor with a mower and a disc but no seed drill. we usually use a hand spreader and then use a drag behind a four wheeler we built to get the seed int he dirt.

what will grow? I don't have irrigation. just really good dirt that I have never had tested before.

here is what I'm working with. keep in mind i plan to disc it all in the fall and plant my normal kill plots.

PSE-Madman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2017, 08:52 AM   #2
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Kinney Counties

Soybeans
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2017, 08:57 AM   #3
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County

Iron and Clay Cowpeas. Be sure and use a browse enclosure so you can move monitor the actual growth.
JES is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2017, 09:27 AM   #4
GUT_TRAIL
Eight Point

Hunt In: Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Alaska, Texas
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
Iron and Clay Cowpeas. Be sure and use a browse enclosure so you can move monitor the actual growth.
boom!
GUT_TRAIL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2017, 06:50 PM   #5
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Can you outplant your herd? They decimate my small summer plots.
Got hogs? I ended up hog proofing 2 plots.
For grins I might mix in some grain sorghum.
Not sure of the name, but I used some "golden" type the animals loved after it headed out. But don't plant it heavy. I couldn't even plow the stalks in the fall.
Please update us on your progress.
Good luck.

BP

Last edited by Big pig; 02-25-2017 at 06:59 PM..
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2017, 06:54 PM   #6
Outback77
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Azle, Caddo, Barksdale and anywhere I get invited

Pearl millet maybe
Outback77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2017, 07:18 PM   #7
demtx
Six Point

Hunt In: Jim Wells, McMullen
Default spring plot

Got a plot ready today, going to wait on a rainy forecast and plant. Wil be putting in a mix but main seed will be something I've never tried: buckwheat. Supposed to grow fast and be a good soil conditioner.
demtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2017, 07:27 PM   #8
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas

I vote iron clay peas. High in protein, drought resistant, grows in soil that's not up to par, ( although ANY crop only meets its full potential when the soil is amended ), and you could mix some soybeans in as well. If you have hogs, any kind of grain will attract them when it matures, and they will destroy it.

You can plant peas with a disc, a seeder, and a drag. No drill needed, although it would work fine also. IMO, the main advantage of a drill is no-till farming, which reduces the amount of " legacy " weed seeds that you turn up when discing. My routine, when I am planting immediately, is to spray existing weeds/grass with gly, wait about a week or so, turn it under, drag it smooth, then set your disc so that it just scratches little furrows in the ground. Most of your crop seeds will fall in these furrows when you drag it again. If I have a little more time, and the right moisture, I turn the fall/winter plot under for soil building, then wait until it starts to green up, then spray with gly to kill the emerging weeds/grass. The less you till, the less weed seeds you turn up, and some of them can lay in the ground a long time just waiting for that sunshine !
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2017, 07:34 PM   #9
tminc
Six Point

Hunt In: burnet county,mexico

depends on rainfall, i plant things that dont require as much moisture. millet and sunflowers in the spring . The deer eat most of the sunflowers as shoots and the millet is good for birds too.
tminc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2017, 09:02 AM   #10
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by demtx View Post
Got a plot ready today, going to wait on a rainy forecast and plant. Wil be putting in a mix but main seed will be something I've never tried: buckwheat. Supposed to grow fast and be a good soil conditioner.
Good article on buckwheat:

https://www.qdma.com/food-plot-speci...ile-buckwheat/
JES is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2017, 10:20 AM   #11
PSE-Madman
Six Point

thanks for the input guys. we do not have hogs. occasionally one runs through but its few and far between. I'm going to put some more research to the suggestions.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:33 AM   #12
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSE-Madman View Post
thanks for the input guys. we do not have hogs. occasionally one runs through but its few and far between. I'm going to put some more research to the suggestions.
If you don't have a hog plague, the grain suggestion is a good one. Cowpeas have weak vines and a little milo would give them something to climb. You might want to visit the QDMA website and research various plot options. Good luck !
Old 02-26-2017, 10:39 AM   #13
PSE-Madman
Six Point

I'm on the qdma website now. the are saying sunflowers can help them climb on them to grow. we have some sunflowers that grow up in the power line during the summer. wondering if I should spray with gly since it may kill the sunflower. we have some hay grazer in that power line as well at comes up every year. we hate it.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:50 AM   #14
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

You can NEVER go wrong with Soybeans
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2017, 10:01 AM   #15
Spearchunker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Unit 7 KS, Fannin Co, Grayson Co

Tuned in. I am in same boat. Little experience and all the makings in front of me. Been reading for days and as of right now im leaning towards cow peas and sunflowers.

I have hogs..alot.
Spearchunker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2017, 10:14 AM   #16
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearchunker View Post
Tuned in. I am in same boat. Little experience and all the makings in front of me. Been reading for days and as of right now im leaning towards cow peas and sunflowers.

I have hogs..alot.
When the sunflowers get ripe, the hogs will find and destroy it IMO. I used to plant a product called Power Plant from Whitetail Institute. It was a great product, somewhat expensive, that had soybeans, lab lab, sorghum, and sunflowers. The deer loved it, and they got lots of good browsing out of it until the sunflowers and sorghum ripened. The hogs would then wallow it down and utterly destroy the whole plot. That's what prompted me to go to cowpeas as my spring plots. BTW Whitetail Institute has replaced the sorghum with sunn hemp, ostensibly because it's a better deer food, but I gotta wonder if they didn't get too many complaints from us in the south about the %<€!|{ŁĄ hogs.

Edit: If anyone has an invasive weed or grass problem, you can go with RR soybeans for a couple years and pretty well rid yourself of anything in your plot except beans. They are expensive, but the ability to spray with gly when your beans are 8/10" high, and kill everything but beans, outweighs the cost factor IMO, at least for a year or two. This is a pic of RR beans in summer.
Attached Images

Last edited by Drycreek3189; 02-27-2017 at 10:19 AM..
Old 02-27-2017, 10:22 AM   #17
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Same beans in winter. Bean pods galore !
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2017, 10:25 AM   #18
Kmart49
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan County/Stephens County

Cowpeas and milo is the direction I would lean.
Kmart49 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2017, 09:30 AM   #19
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Manitoba Canada

Drycreek - that is one heck of a food plot there!
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2017, 06:31 PM   #20
Adthomps
Four Point

Hunt In: Taylor/Callahan/Jeff Davis County

I am the ITR for Tecomate here in Texas. We have a product called Hornmaker Extreme. It's a mix of sunn hemp, peas, and beans. Excellent summer plot especially on smaller acerage The sunn hemp is a very fast grower so it provides cover and structure for the peas and beans to get established. Because of the aggressive growth of the sunn hemp it has a much better survival rate with heavy browse in the early stages. If your not sold on the sunn hemp the old standard is LabLab. Extremely good summer plot mix. We also have LabLab Plus that add cowpeas and milo to the mix. If you have any questions on this shoot me a pm I can get you a pretty good deal on this and other products we offer
Adthomps is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2017, 06:39 PM   #21
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adthomps View Post
I am the ITR for Tecomate here in Texas. We have a product called Hornmaker Extreme. It's a mix of sunn hemp, peas, and beans. Excellent summer plot especially on smaller acerage The sunn hemp is a very fast grower so it provides cover and structure for the peas and beans to get established. Because of the aggressive growth of the sunn hemp it has a much better survival rate with heavy browse in the early stages. If your not sold on the sunn hemp the old standard is LabLab. Extremely good summer plot mix. We also have LabLab Plus that add cowpeas and milo to the mix. If you have any questions on this shoot me a pm I can get you a pretty good deal on this and other products we offer
I have a hog proof plot. Deer tend to not utilize the fall food plots once green up starts. I plan on letting most of it head out. Elbow rye, wheat and oats On a portion of it I am considering a summer plot. Will your mixes grow if I use the poison and thatch method like I did very successfully with the fall planting?

Thanks

BP .
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2017, 06:43 PM   #22
Hooverfb
Six Point

One thing folks overlook is chicory.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2017, 07:16 PM   #23
Adthomps
Four Point

Hunt In: Taylor/Callahan/Jeff Davis County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big pig View Post
I have a hog proof plot. Deer tend to not utilize the fall food plots once green up starts. I plan on letting most of it head out. Elbow rye, wheat and oats On a portion of it I am considering a summer plot. Will your mixes grow if I use the poison and thatch method like I did very successfully with the fall planting?

Thanks

BP .
Yes that planting method is just fine for our mixes. That is a great planting technique if done right that is often overlooked
Adthomps is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2017, 10:45 AM   #24
Map My Ranch
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
That's my game plan for one of my fields.
Map My Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2017, 11:33 AM   #25
Vermin93
Eight Point

Hunt In: North TX, OK, TN

According to this seed seller, this seems like an obvious choice.

http://www.seedranch.com/LabLab-Food...FQiEfgodOJ4Grg

THE " MAGIC BEAN " OF DEER FOOD PLOTS

1Lb - Plants 2000 Sq Ft.

The No. 1 " Management Plot"

Most Nutritious & Preferred Plant We've Tested
Proven to Add 20-40 inches and pounds to Mature Bucks
Unsurpassed Antler-Growing Phosphorus
Drought, Insect and Disease Resistant
Fast Growing / Tremendous Production
Grows Anywhere Soybeans & Cow-peas are Grown
Vermin93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #26
PSE-Madman
Six Point

that stuff aint cheap..
Old 03-18-2017, 10:22 PM   #27
Homer75
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas and Montana

I hear several people talking about soybeans but, don't you want to drill it deeper than what the OP has equipment?
Homer75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2017, 09:42 PM   #28
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Kinney Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer75 View Post
I hear several people talking about soybeans but, don't you want to drill it deeper than what the OP has equipment?

I plant Laredo soybeans and just lightly disc them in.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top