Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 02-04-2016, 06:09 PM   #51
sunsethunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sunset

Best of luck!
sunsethunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2016, 08:40 PM   #52
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southeastern Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam6467 View Post
Great news! My wife and I just became owners of 5 acres in Glen Rose. We closed yesterday and received the notice that funding took place this afternoon. We're so glad to finally have a chuck of land of our own!

We're going to spend some time out there this weekend with our daughters. We're hoping to have a road access and address established in the coming week.

Once the access is in, I'll be cutting the fence and beginning the road clearing phase. I'll be using our Kubota SVL-90-2 with newly acquired brushshark to cut a lame for the future road. There are quite a few large live oaks out there hidden away by cedar. I can't wait to get them revealed!

Unfortunately, it'll be a while before any real construction begins. My wife has taken the past few years off from teaching to raise the babies at home. One will begin kinder next year and the other is two years behind. We just don't have the money right now to get going as soon as I'd like.

I'm so glad for this site. There is a bunch of great build journals here from which I will draw inspiration. I hope some of y'all aren't too shy to offer some advice!

Thanks for following along...

Congrats, sir. Looking forward to eventually following along. Enjoy the ride.
Booner Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-09-2016, 07:52 PM   #53
Bkvill
Six Point

Hunt In: ETX, Okalahoma

Best of luck with the new property & future builds. Bleed Purple!
Bkvill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2016, 09:21 PM   #54
cam6467
Four Point

Hunt In: Stonewall Co.

It's need a while since I updated this journal, so I'm going to give y'all a little run-down of what's been going on.

Since my last post, I've been slammed with HVAC work. My own business has been slow, but I'm lucky enough to have a father in the same trade. Where I focus mainly on residential work, he's all commercial. I've been working all over Texas doing everything from rough-in work to start-ups. It's nice to be busy!

I have found some time to spend on my property lately. My road access was successfully installed by the county and I have an official address now. I just paid for a water tap and placed the little blue flag a week ago Friday. The water district has done some layout painting on the ground and I can only assume that they'll be doing some digging in the next week or two.

About a month after my road access was put in, I went out and cut the barbed wire fence. I trailered my equipment out and started in on my road. The cedar on my place is thick, but I'm fortunate that it doesn't take much to pop them up and out of the dirt with that Kubota machine.

Here's a look at my "mobile office"
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461291025.604237.jpg
Views: 1874
Size:  74.6 KB

I've got a large grapple attachment, the 6' brushshark, and the toothed buckets that came with the machine. Between the grapple and the brushshark, the cedar has no chance. I've gotten pretty good at popping them up and getting them to the burn pile. It feels like I've made the trip a few hundred times and I've only spent about six operating hours on the place.

The road came along nicely. I've got it about 16-20' wide most of the way. It gets a little sloppy toward the end of the road due to the recent rain. I'm going to have to wait for it to dry out a bit.

Road clearing
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461291299.936833.jpg
Views: 1895
Size:  96.5 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461291318.497231.jpg
Size:  78.2 KB

These pictures are from the first hour.

I also cleared up around where I envision the house to sit eventually
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461291422.644314.jpg
Size:  55.1 KB

While I worked with the machine, I had my helper run a chainsaw. He did a great job cleaning up around a huge live oak on the property.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461291564.198881.jpg
Views: 1894
Size:  130.0 KB

This tree's canopy is easily 50-60' in diameter. It's just a magnificent tree. The cedar trees had overrun this beauty and made it hard to see. A chainsaw, loppers, and a few hours of work really opened things up. I'm excited to see how this tree looks once I've got it 100% in the open.

It's been a fun few days here lately. I've been able to spend my time on my land.neddless to say, I'm in love!
cam6467 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2016, 05:33 PM   #55
cam6467
Four Point

Well, I've done all I want to do on the land as far as clearing goes.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461968546.565538.jpg
Views: 1788
Size:  88.1 KB
One burn pile I got going on Tuesday.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461968604.190911.jpg
Views: 1795
Size:  80.0 KB
Here's the other. I had to burn two small piles, continually adding from my "stock pile" I pushed up on Monday. It took two days to completely burn everything I ripped/cut/pushed in making my road and clearing the house pad area.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461968706.910405.jpg
Views: 1794
Size:  117.7 KB
We were able to completely clear out from under and around the large live oak at the front of the property. My helper couldn't resist going for a climb. Apparently the view is spectacular. I will never know first hand as my climbing days have come and gone!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461968796.517127.jpg
Views: 1799
Size:  60.9 KB
Here's a bad panoramic picture of the front of my place. I'm standing where the gate will be and the picture looks down the county road (to the left) and down my new driveway (to the right). This area was totally covered in cedar. It's going to look nice once the native grasses grow back in next year.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461968929.121825.jpg
Views: 1798
Size:  98.4 KB
We had to relocate this bird nest. Hopefully momma will find her eggs. We moved it from a cedar to a mesquite tree less than three feet away. Pretty little eggs.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461969004.922207.jpg
Views: 1800
Size:  109.7 KB
While we were clearing land, the water district came by and set my new meter. I plan on setting a hydrant style spigot near the future gate next week so it'll be a little safer to use the cutting torch, grinder, and welder.

I met with my dirt man this afternoon to have a look at the plan for the road/house pad/stock tank. He thinks I'll end up with a 1/2 acre or better tank once he's removed enough dirt for everything he'll be doing.

My only limiting factor at this point is money. We don't qualify for a home loan due to the single income situation. My wife is making plans to get back in the classroom this fall, so I'm confident that we'll be pouring concrete this coming winter and hopefully standing up walls in the spring.

I'm really enjoying working on my land so far. It's going to be such a nice place when it's all said and done!
Old 05-02-2016, 08:24 PM   #56
cam6467
Four Point

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462238689.905173.jpg
Views: 1727
Size:  92.2 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462238727.357315.jpg
Views: 1715
Size:  111.7 KB

Water is in. I set a hydrant style spigot this afternoon. It was smooth sailing except for the fact that you can't dig more than 1" deep before hitting rock. This little 3x2 hole is about a foot deep and took me and two other guys an hour to dig.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:30 PM   #57
Tyler's Outdoor
Eight Point

Hunt In: Colorado County, Texas

Good luck in your endeavors. I'm along for the ride!
Tyler's Outdoor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2016, 08:37 PM   #58
huntmaster
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Archer County

are you erecting the building yourself? I've been getting prices for a month to get mine started and erected and insultated are more than twice the 12/sqft you stated. but I'm way out in Archer county
huntmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2016, 11:20 AM   #59
dhillis
Ten Point

Hunt In: Aransas Pass, San Marcos

Any updates?
dhillis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #60
jrshuman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton county

Following! Hoping to build a barndominium in the future
jrshuman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2016, 10:41 AM   #61
cam6467
Four Point

Sorry for the delay in updates. It's been a very busy past several months.

I've got a road in. My dirt man did a great job. Once I have house plans completed, I'll lay out my house pad and turn him loose on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-16-2016, 10:45 AM   #62
zhall
Six Point

Hunt In: Central Tx

Good luck, following.
zhall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2016, 12:09 PM   #63
dhillis
Ten Point

Hunt In: Aransas Pass, San Marcos

How much did the cliche set you back?
dhillis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2016, 07:55 PM   #64
MasonCo.
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mason

Nice
MasonCo. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2016, 12:06 AM   #65
DZM
Four Point

Hunt In: Jones & Jack County

Awesome
DZM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2016, 12:22 AM   #66
Shinesintx
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Franklin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillis View Post
How much did the cliche set you back?
Yes, how much per ton?

Love the road, hate buying the rock.
Shinesintx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2016, 05:19 AM   #67
DOUBLE.A
Ten Point

Hunt In: Houston County

Awesome
DOUBLE.A is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2016, 07:56 AM   #68
LittleLizaMarie
Spike

Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LittleLizaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2016, 08:10 AM   #69
HainesNYT
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home, MN, WY, South Africa

Dirt man???....you have a beast of a track loader....YOU ARE THE DIRTMAN!

How long have you had the SVL? Any feedback?...pros/cons?
HainesNYT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2016, 06:41 PM   #70
cam6467
Four Point

Thanks for the compliments on the road. I'm very proud of it. I probably over-paid, but it's finished and I didn't have to do it on my time.

The SVL is a beast. I've pushed it and finally found a breaking point. I apparently pushed a hydraulic line off the pump and dumped all my oil. A trip to the kubota house and it was good to go again.

I ran the heck out of it for a month straight. I've learned that, though it's a powerful machine, it can't do everything I need. I'll be renting an excavator when I start construction.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:56 AM   #71
cam6467
Four Point

I finally got around to getting my gated entrance underway. It's been a struggle this year to find time to work. I've gone back to teaching/coaching and don't have the same freedom to do things I had when I was solely running my AC business.

I used our 9" hole drilling rig. With all the rock out here, it's nice to have those carbide teeth!

Each post hole is about 4 feet deep. Getting the hole perfect isn't easy when you're constantly hitting rock layers. Fortunately, the rock layers I hit were pretty much flat beneath the surface and my drill didn't walk around too much.

The wide angle shot shows each of the posts I set (It's hard to see them all). The posts were cut at 9 feet in length. 4 feet in the ground and set with "maximizer" concrete mix. All in all, this part of the project went very smoothly.

I'm just waiting for spring break to get here so I can get out there and start welding railing in.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:00 PM   #72
Gunnyart
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Lometa, TX

Looking good. Following for our future build.
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #73
weminuche
Four Point

nice
weminuche is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2017, 12:59 PM   #74
Cardinal
Six Point

Looking good, very nice.
Cardinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2017, 09:40 PM   #75
cam6467
Four Point

Has anyone taken and construction loan through first financial bank? I'm being told that I'll need to come up with 10% upfront in order to borrow (assuming a $250,000 loan).

Anyone have $25,000 I can have? I wish I had a couple million set back!

Old 02-13-2017, 02:47 PM   #76
weminuche
Four Point

looks great
weminuche is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-13-2017, 02:57 PM   #77
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SABINAL, Sonora, Bastrop, Carrizozo NM

Quote:
Has anyone taken and construction loan through first financial bank? I'm being told that I'll need to come up with 10% upfront in order to borrow (assuming a $250,000 loan).

Anyone have $25,000 I can have? I wish I had a couple million set back!

Look local. Not sure what your plans are, but when I built mine I did about half the work myself. Local bank said if it appraises for more than 10% of the loan amount, I didnt have to pay the 10%. It appraised for 48% more than my loan. This was a barndo too.
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2017, 09:19 PM   #78
Boatms
Nubbin' Buck

Default barndo

following
Boatms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2017, 12:08 AM   #79
Txarrowhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Parker county

10% is good. We're in a process and I had to come up 25% for a barndo but still looking at my options.
Txarrowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2017, 02:12 PM   #80
cam6467
Four Point

Just got off the phone with my dirt contractor. He's coming out to build the house pad now that I have my plans in hand.

I used two sisters in Hico for the plans (Hill Country Dwellings). They're pretty good and I got my house plan for a good price.

I'm also meeting with a guy who owns a rock saw. He going to cut a trench I can run my waterline in. I'm looking at about 1,200 feet of trench to dig. Add the cost of pipe and fittings, I'm looking at a decent cost to get water back to the pad.

The next step is getting United Coop out to set a couple of poles for me so I can get some power back to the house.

I knew this was going to be a slow process, but it's slower than I had planned. I'm hoping that the banking side of things is smooth.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:09 PM   #81
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria/Fort Bend county, Harper

Following
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2017, 02:11 PM   #82
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria/Fort Bend county, Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalArms View Post
Congrats....one step closer.

If you want to see it done right check out Ronny's (Duckhunter2007) thread awhile back. He and his wife did a lot of it themselves and I must say did a WHALE of a job. He has a whole lot better level skill sets than I do that's for sure! He did a great job chronologically taking us along. It was impressive!

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...t=Barndominium

Good luck again.
I remember that build, Duckhunter has some mad skills!
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #83
topshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public land, wherever I'm invited

Following, this is closely aligned to what i would like to do. different footprint but overall similar plan. I'm presently looking for a bank that will do the construction loan without $$ down, but expected equity built in.
topshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2017, 04:23 PM   #84
sendit
Eight Point

Quote:
Just got off the phone with my dirt contractor. He's coming out to build the house pad now that I have my plans in hand.

I used two sisters in Hico for the plans (Hill Country Dwellings). They're pretty good and I got my house plan for a good price.

I'm also meeting with a guy who owns a rock saw. He going to cut a trench I can run my waterline in. I'm looking at about 1,200 feet of trench to dig. Add the cost of pipe and fittings, I'm looking at a decent cost to get water back to the pad.

The next step is getting United Coop out to set a couple of poles for me so I can get some power back to the house.

I knew this was going to be a slow process, but it's slower than I had planned. I'm hoping that the banking side of things is smooth.

I am building a barndo ranch home presently my self. Doing 90+% of the work myself. Going into this I new it was going to be a long process but I have been patient so far. Doing things as time and money allow me too. I have finally got the building up, water and electricity to it. Have done a little work on the big room but stopped until I can get it spray foamed. I plan on getting that done by a contractor soon as that is something I can not do myself.

Again have patience, you are going to have struggles that's for sure but keep focused on the end of the build.
sendit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top