Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 03-08-2017, 10:07 AM   #1
jmeghunts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Runnells County
Default Berett APX

The new Beretta APX will be available April 15 in the USA. It's gone through 3 years of development and looks to be the next best striker fired pistol. I have been carrying a Glock for most of my 20+ years on the force but after talking with our range staff I am going to give the Beretta a shot. Some guys I work with eat, sleep and breath Glock and they all decided to switch after doing a demo day with the new APX. Normally I'm that guy that says all striker fired guns are the same but I fell differently about this one. The Glock is like holding a bar of soap with a 7lb trigger. I'm ready for a change.

I have one on order and we are working on getting duty/off-duty holsters ordered now. We also have a few guys that will go through armorer school to do our annual maintenance on them. So, has anyone shot one yet or seen one up close? Thoughts?

http://www.berettadefensetechnologie...ols/apx-pistol
jmeghunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
Bullseye07
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon/Freestone Cos

I'm not a fan of how the slide looks, but I do like the functionability of it. There are a lot of positive reviews. I would have to test fire one before purchasing, but if the price point will be around $500 as some say then it'll be a big time seller.
Bullseye07 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2017, 12:50 PM   #3
1shot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill

Meh. Looks like a ruger to me.
1shot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2017, 12:53 PM   #4
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

I'll buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Ice is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2017, 04:20 PM   #5
offthemap
Eight Point

Hunt In: Houston, Anderson, Cherokee, Smith, Callahan

I saw this thread yesterday and a few hours later got this ad in my email...

Question: Is this pistol only going to be available to LEO's? This Arms Unlimited place is only selling these early APX's to LEO's is why I ask.

https://www.slickguns.com/product/be...newsletter-411
offthemap is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2017, 01:42 AM   #6
jmeghunts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthemap View Post
I saw this thread yesterday and a few hours later got this ad in my email...

Question: Is this pistol only going to be available to LEO's? This Arms Unlimited place is only selling these early APX's to LEO's is why I ask.

https://www.slickguns.com/product/be...newsletter-411

Not that I'm aware of but the actual release date is April 15. Non LEO's may have to wait until then to take delivery.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:30 AM   #7
Rakkasan2187
Ten Point

And I thought Glock's were ugly, wow!
Rakkasan2187 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2017, 12:27 PM   #8
Lungbustr
Pope & Young

So how is this better than say a sig p320, hk vp9, Walther ppq, or any other more modern striker fired pistol? Seems the same to me, am I missing something?
Lungbustr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2017, 07:04 PM   #9
JW
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma, Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakkasan2187 View Post
And I thought Glock's were ugly, wow!

That was my first thought lol! I love a Glock. But unless it's a Zev Glock pretty they ain't. That Barretta is atrocious.

JW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2017, 10:20 PM   #10
jmeghunts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lungbustr View Post
So how is this better than say a sig p320, hk vp9, Walther ppq, or any other more modern striker fired pistol? Seems the same to me, am I missing something?
Again, I'm getting my info from our Glock armorers/range masters but...the grip angle, actual grip feel and short sear reset and less muzzle flip was the selling points. These guys get hammered by salesmen to demo guns with the hopes that our department will make a big order. They've shot everything out there and fell in love with the APX. YES I KNOW ITS UGLY, SO ARE ALL THE OTHERS. But $500-550 ain't much money if I decide to make it a safe queen later.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:35 PM   #11
JW
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma, Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeghunts View Post
Again, I'm getting my info from our Glock armorers/range masters but...the grip angle, actual grip feel and short sear reset and less muzzle flip was the selling points. These guys get hammered by salesmen to demo guns with the hopes that our department will make a big order. They've shot everything out there and fell in love with the APX. YES I KNOW ITS UGLY, SO ARE ALL THE OTHERS. But $500-550 ain't much money if I decide to make it a safe queen later.

"safe queen"! I've never heard that.

JW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2017, 01:04 AM   #12
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Quote:

Beretta is late to the game and are replacing that atrocity called the PX4 Storm would be my guess.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:22 AM   #13
jmeghunts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
Beretta is late to the game and are replacing that atrocity called the PX4 Storm would be my guess.

Or, they perfected the striker pistol and will achieve world domination in a short time! But I bet this will just make up for the mod 92 being outdated. The 92 carried that company for a long time.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:27 AM   #14
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Default Berett APX

Quote:
Or, they perfected the striker pistol and will achieve world domination in a short time! But I bet this will just make up for the mod 92 being outdated. The 92 carried that company for a long time.

I'm a Beretta fan and with the reviews I've read I'll pick one up. Right now my H&K VP9 is my favorite.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #15
jmeghunts
Ten Point

UPDATE: I picked it up this morning and it feels great. Gonna do some shooting this afternoon and will give a review.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:56 AM   #16
jmeghunts
Ten Point

Shoots great, feels great in the hand and accuracy was as expected with cheap ball ammo. The sights are designed to cover the target whereas Glock is a 6 o'clock hold. I don't think I will have a problem adjusting to that. Overall I'm very happy with it.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:23 PM   #17
Lungbustr
Pope & Young

Quote:
Shoots great, feels great in the hand and accuracy was as expected with cheap ball ammo. The sights are designed to cover the target whereas Glock is a 6 o'clock hold. I don't think I will have a problem adjusting to that. Overall I'm very happy with it.

Those style sights give me a hard time. But if the pistol does well all the aftermarket companies will take care of the sight issue.
Lungbustr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2017, 11:51 AM   #18
1shot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill

Quote:
How is the trigger?
1shot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #19
jmeghunts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shot View Post
How is the trigger?
The trigger is great out of the box. I'm at about 225 rounds and it's getting smoother. I shot a qual course this morning and did ok (90) but realized that I need the large back strap on there. So I cleaned it up, changed the strap and been doing a little dry firing. I want to go shoot again with the larger grip and see how it works.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:59 PM   #20
jmeghunts
Ten Point

Update: A couple of weeks ago I went through a plain clothes pistol class. It's designed to train with the equipment we use off-duty in our civilian clothes. The Beretta performed great! We shot from a seated position out of a car, practiced dignitary protection drills, malfunction drills ect. I am very happy with the gun, approaching the 1000 round mark now and the trigger is getting broken in nicely. Now if I could get Safariland to make the holster I want all would be great.