Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 03-11-2017, 04:26 PM   #51
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where I am

I'm not a believer in pure instinctive shooting.
I think of it more as an intuitive thing. You have to learn to walk, but after you do, and practice it for a while it becomes so ingrained, that you have to put very little conscious thought into it, but there is always some, and sometimes a lot, or you would stumble often.

I aim using a variety of different methods depending on circumstances, and sometime a combination there of.

All of my methods however involve knowing where the arrow is pointing, where my sight window is, and my point of focus. All three of which come together in sort of a triangulation before I loose the arrow.

Rick
RickBarbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-11-2017, 08:04 PM   #52
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

I understand that but right before release the sight "window" goes out of focus and I try to only see the spot. If not I loose focus on that spot then its all over.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2017, 06:34 AM   #53
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

I take the shotgun approach. Can't see well enough to focus on the spot because past fifteen yards there isn't a spot to focus on. Since there is no spot I can't miss the spot that wasn't there. sort of...it sucks to be blind and love archery
60 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2017, 07:46 AM   #54
stickbowcoop
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hunting for a place to hunt

I used to say I shot instinctive until I read Howard Hill's "Hunting the Hard Way" and I realized I shoot a split vision technique. Even burning a hole in the spot I recognized I am aware of the arrow in my peripheral vision. It's blurry and I don't concentrate on it. But I know where it's pointing. Very similar to how I shoot a compound with a sight with both eyes open and I focus on the spot and my pin is blurry but I know where it's at on my target. It works for me, we all have to find what works for us and not fall into the trap of thinking there is one way for us all to shoot accurately. When I first got into trad I joined a local archery club that had a very active traditional group. And everybody was always telling me I was doing this wrong or that wrong, until I started beating them on the 3D and DART courses. Then they kept their comments to themselves LOL.
stickbowcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2017, 10:50 AM   #55
Shiloh
Four Point

Hunt In: Roosevelt, TX

I do better with a loose grip - very loose that is so that the string's angle as dictated by my draw arm and face angle impart the angle of the bow against the meat part of my bow hand's thumb and web betwern the forefinger and thumb. My bow hand does not influence the bow's canted angle, my string hand does. That seems to help me a lot. Shooting the bareshafts (6 for group) demonstrates fliers when I dont do this consistently. I have not ried a firm grip with the bow hand but will give it shot if you say it works
Shiloh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-17-2017, 08:47 PM   #56
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
I do better with a loose grip - very loose that is so that the string's angle as dictated by my draw arm and face angle impart the angle of the bow against the meat part of my bow hand's thumb and web betwern the forefinger and thumb. My bow hand does not influence the bow's canted angle, my string hand does. That seems to help me a lot. Shooting the bareshafts (6 for group) demonstrates fliers when I dont do this consistently. I have not ried a firm grip with the bow hand but will give it shot if you say it works

When I started using a loose open grip my plucks and jerks decreased greatly and getting on target was simplified

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2017, 01:25 AM   #57
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

Gap down the spine and tip. Triangulate between the riser and shaft. A tad higher/closer to target with 300gr points at 20yds vs 175gr points at 20yds. Wink the right eye if left. Wink the left eye if right. Exhale. Push/pull. Release. Touch the ear. Hold. Dream about blood trails.

Last edited by Briar Friar; 03-18-2017 at 01:27 AM.. Reason: TargetSpake
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2017, 10:17 PM   #58
steve morton
Eight Point

Hunt In: Limestone County

What tradman 1971 said....shoot 1 arrow daily.....i just aim my broadhead at "the spot" and let her eat.
steve morton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top