Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 03-07-2017, 04:13 PM   #1
Hydestik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country
Default Hacks,tips and how to ideas

I was thinking a thread of quick fixes and how to's would be nice . These ideas we can apply whether fishing, hunting, camping or just around the house.
Anyway here's mine : I always disliked hauling propane cylinders in my truck bed. If you have more than one you have the task of securing them with a bungee cord or ratchet strap and they no doubt topple over. Try this next time . Get on old milk crate and put that cylinder in there . This tip is useful if you have more than one as well , purchase a crate for each cylinder you own and when your not using them you can store other items in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hydestik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 06:01 PM   #2
Rescue1
Six Point

great idea for a thread. can't think of anything at the moment, i'll check back so see if something jogs my memory
Rescue1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas

I've been doing the milk crate thing for years on the small ones. Never could find a good way to haul the big RV sizes though.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 10:59 PM   #4
krisw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cass County

Done this plenty myself.
krisw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2017, 11:09 PM   #5
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Menard & Montgomery County

Great tip!

No pics, but this year I decided to make use of the strings from the tops of feeder bags and have been tying them around camp and around my stands as a cheap & free wind indicators. They are about 3-4' long when pulled all the way off the bag and catch the wind well.
I hang them from the varmint cages on the feeders and limbs near the stand.
DaveC is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2017, 08:25 AM   #6
TMC50
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whereever I can

Best part of working for a school district is I can get the milk crates. I use them for everything. Have several for my propane, use them for baseballs, clothes, etc.

Here is something that I do. We live in a rental right now and I don't have much of a "shop" but I love to tinker around and make things. My tail gate is my work table. If I have to cut wood or something, I lay it on the tail gate and strap it down from the ball to the tie down in the bed so it will not move as I cut it. I can stack scrap wood on it to make it tighter. Quick and easy and works. If I don't feel like running an extension cord, it works for the hack saw as well.
TMC50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2017, 01:43 PM   #7
dmk
Eight Point

Hunt In: Nowhere

Here's another idea for a workbench - old ironing board. Perfect height if you need to have tools handy while working on a vehicle and good height for standing and working as well.
dmk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2017, 01:52 PM   #8
GarGuy
Pope & Young

If you have a winch on your truck, get you a nice pully to throw in the tool box. Double lining will double your puling power if you get in a bind.

if you buy a tent blind, go ahead and scotch guard the heck out of it before you put it out. this will triple the life of them..

Cutting a rope or cable? Tape it good with duct tape and cut in the middle of the tape to keep from fraying.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2017, 02:35 PM   #9
wdtorque
Six Point

Nice Gar, I use electrical tape on rope before cutting and like scotch guard on boots too.

One from my wife for knife storage. Knives slide around and edges show in a drawer.
She filled up a "urn" or vase thingie with black beans, poke the knives in tip down!
Handles are up and easy to grab. Works great!!
Any small dried bean would work I'd guess? We love it.

Glue a small magnet to one side of scissors or work shears, stick to anything metal so you can "relocate" after using. Mine go back to the same shelf bracket after use, Genius!

Don't answer your phone if your are busy or don't want to talk. It's OK to not answer every dang call if you are a grown up. Kids, that's different.

Buy a bundle of paint stirrers, very handy for all kinds of stuff.

Hang a bucket of paint you are going to use in a few days on a bungee/rope stretched across the bed of your truck so it dangles/swings. Well stirred paint after a few days of driving.
wdtorque is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2017, 03:19 PM   #10
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk View Post
Here's another idea for a workbench - old ironing board. Perfect height if you need to have tools handy while working on a vehicle and good height for standing and working as well.
I have dis-assembled / cleaned many a pistol on an ironing board.
sir shovelhands is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2017, 10:05 AM   #11
popup_menace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Back yard, stand, or my dreams

I went to using a large Rubbermaid tub to haul my camp gear. It'll fit a stove burner, sleeping bag, hunting backpack, clothes backpack (about 3 days worth of clothes), archery tackle box, and extra propane bottles for the aforementioned burner. Just tape the lid down or use elastic cord and you can toss it in the bed of a pickup or strap it on a trailer and roll on.

Haven't made it yet, but I am going to make an arrow tune out of some 4" PVC and caps. Water tight with a simple gasket and tough enough to just throw the arrows wherever they will fit.

I found a big tackle box at bass pro on sale and I have vanes, super glue, fletching jig, field points, broadheads, a bow scale, Allen wrenches, and a couple other smaller tools in it all organized into sections. Easy to bring to camp.

Sounds stupid, but we bought $10 slip on shoes from Walmart a couple years ago strictly to use wearing on the porch and in the cabin. Saved a LOT of cleaning time at the end of the trip.

There are more, but these are the ones I swear by.
popup_menace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #12
Brazman
Ten Point

Hunt In: futility

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk View Post
I've used an old ironing board with the cushion removed (just expanded metal top) as a fishing cleaning table for years now. Super easy clean up, just hose it down and hang it. If it gets really funky, spray with bleach cleaner, hose and hang up. Light and easy to move, set up. Stable enough for a patio, or weigh the feet down with cinderblocks to REALLY make it stable. My dad bolted two 1X10's on it, and it's wide enough and long enough for two people to work on. He added two screws on the wide end to hang a trash bag to slide the remains into after cleaning a fish.
Brazman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2017, 11:00 AM   #13
Jared.King
Eight Point

Hunt In: Eden, TX and Yoakum County

Quote:
Originally Posted by popup_menace View Post
I went to using a large Rubbermaid tub to haul my camp gear. It'll fit a stove burner, sleeping bag, hunting backpack, clothes backpack (about 3 days worth of clothes), archery tackle box, and extra propane bottles for the aforementioned burner. Just tape the lid down or use elastic cord and you can toss it in the bed of a pickup or strap it on a trailer and roll on.

Haven't made it yet, but I am going to make an arrow tune out of some 4" PVC and caps. Water tight with a simple gasket and tough enough to just throw the arrows wherever they will fit.

I found a big tackle box at bass pro on sale and I have vanes, super glue, fletching jig, field points, broadheads, a bow scale, Allen wrenches, and a couple other smaller tools in it all organized into sections. Easy to bring to camp.

Sounds stupid, but we bought $10 slip on shoes from Walmart a couple years ago strictly to use wearing on the porch and in the cabin. Saved a LOT of cleaning time at the end of the trip.

There are more, but these are the ones I swear by.
I do all of those! I just bought some huge locking tubs that I can fit all of my stuff in. Whenever I'm ready to go I just toss them in the back of the truck. The slip on shoes really is a time saver
Jared.King is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2017, 03:33 PM   #14
lgc999
Six Point

Hunt In: Aquilla,TX, Silver, TX

One my grandad taught me. I like to store loose screws, nails, whatever in glass jars. Screw the lids to the underside of wooden shelves and screw the jar into the lid. Keeps them in one place and out of the way.
lgc999 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2017, 03:57 PM   #15
gatorgar
Pope & Young

Hunt In: everywhere and anywhere you invite me to :)

I carry all my stuff in plastic foot lockers. One has hunting gear, one has beach camping gear and another lease gear. Just grab it and go.
Always keep a change of clothes in your truck as well

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
gatorgar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2017, 06:41 AM   #16
cashcropper
Eight Point

When traveling in bear country it is advisable to carry a .22 pistol.In the event of a bear attack it wont stop a bear but if you kneecap your hiking partner with it then you can walk leisurely away. The same tactic can be used when trespassing.
cashcropper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2017, 06:49 AM   #17
kembry
Eight Point

Hunt In: Searching

The TBH form of Hints from Heloise?
kembry is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #18
cashcropper
Eight Point

When cutting aluminum plate with a skilsaw,after you scribe your line spray the scribed line with WD40. It will cut like a hot knife through butter.
cashcropper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2017, 05:21 PM   #19
El Viejo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bandera County...sometimes

I was needing a cleaning table for deer & hogs, and came up with the idea of buying one of those plastic topped tables from Sam's. I've been using it for years, and it's all cut up on the top. If the wife needs to use it for something, she just throws a tablecloth on top of it.
El Viejo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2017, 08:30 PM   #20
furtrapper
Four Point

Hunt In: Navarro and Freestone counties

Quick sawhorses are made by screwing a couple of boards to the bottom of a couple of pallets.
furtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #21
TxAg
Pope & Young

A welding blanket under a tent floor will extend the life of the tent. The cheap ones from Harbor Freight work well. I like for it to extend a bit and makes for a dry spot to put your boots, etc.

I use a small tupperware for tent, blanket, hammer, and stakes...I also upgrade to thick metal stakes (also cheap at Harbor Freight).
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2017, 08:43 PM   #22
TxAg
Pope & Young

When you plant a tree or plant around your house, create a small berm around it so that it collects water centralizing it over the root ball. It'll take less water since you won't get run off. After a year or two the berm will erode away and everything will be level again.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:58 PM   #23
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashcropper View Post
When cutting aluminum plate with a skilsaw,after you scribe your line spray the scribed line with WD40. It will cut like a hot knife through butter.
Or you can use a candle. Wax will make it do the same thing. You can also put wax on a sanding pad when using an orbital or other power sanding equipment when sanding aluminum. Even grinding disk. It helps keep the particles from clogging up the disk and pads. Works on band saws too when cutting soft metals.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2017, 11:04 AM   #24
TxAg
Pope & Young

Bump
Old 03-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #25
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Eastland Co.

Screw an old hacksaw blade down on the edge of your workbench with a washer under each end as a spacer. When you need a small piece of sandpaper, slide a sheet under the blade and pull for a clean cut.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2017, 11:35 AM   #26
Palmetto
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, Old Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Viejo View Post
I was needing a cleaning table for deer & hogs, and came up with the idea of buying one of those plastic topped tables from Sam's. I've been using it for years, and it's all cut up on the top. If the wife needs to use it for something, she just throws a tablecloth on top of it.
Extend the legs with 1" PVC pipe. The PVC slides over the legs, and brings the table to a more usable working height. This really saves the lower back.
Palmetto is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2017, 01:09 PM   #27
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kennard

1 1/2" pvc cut to 3' with a 45degree and a 20degree elbow on one end and a rubber reducing coupling on the other work wonders for attaching to your leaf blower to clean gutters from the ground. Do it before you mow and mulch it all up with the mower.

FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #28
Smithwr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vernon TX

I always save the cords off of broken vacuum cleaners ect. Works great for trailer lights and any other accessories being added to a vehicle. They are already water proof and it makes for a clean install instead of having random wires running every which way.
Smithwr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2017, 04:37 PM   #29
cattlelackranch
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas and Panhandle

Rub your forehead with two fingers then rub the oil onto a new light bulbs threads. Makes them easy to screw in and keeps them from sticking and breaking off next time.
cattlelackranch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2017, 04:57 PM   #30
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County

Use the ball on your hitch to to take off muddy mucks

Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2017, 10:11 PM   #31
PBFrijoles
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX & LA

Take some sticky sided hook and pile tape (Velcro) and use it to secure external hard drives to your laptop.

Take a couple of springs from old ball point pens and put them on your iPhone charger cord at the points where the cords fray to prolong cord life.
Attached Images

PBFrijoles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2017, 02:46 PM   #32
Hoggslayer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I find a lease.

When trying to put a little pep in your wife, just tell her "That's not how Mom does it".
Hoggslayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top