Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 02-27-2017, 05:12 PM   #1
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default Just ordered 40 Honeysuckle plants

Just ordered 40 Japanese Honeysuckle plants. Really excited about getting these established at the ranch. Everything I've read about them as far as wildlife goes is beneficial. Extremely fast growing, produces tons of forage, can withstand heavy browsing once established, and has a protein content of 16-18%, and possibly higher when fertilized. Really looking forward to this project!!!
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2017, 05:24 PM   #2
Rotney
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Better wrap em with big panels so they can establish.
Rotney is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2017, 05:31 PM   #3
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotney View Post
Better wrap em with big panels so they can establish.
I am going to wrap them with steel wire mesh , approx 3ft diameter circle. and add chicken wire to keep deer and rabbits away. From what I've read getting them established is the hardest thing to do.

Also I am going to grow them out some. My ex-wife is a horticulture teacher ang has one big *** green house at school. She agreed to grow them out to half gallon /gallon pots so they have a large root ball

Last edited by BrandonA; 02-27-2017 at 05:53 PM..
Old 02-27-2017, 06:02 PM   #4
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Give us more details...cost, where you bought, and when to plant?
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2017, 06:06 PM   #5
texashunter56
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas in Goliad, Live Oak, La Salle, Pecos to Kansas to Alberta and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
I am going to wrap them with steel wire mesh , approx 3ft diameter circle. and add chicken wire to keep deer and rabbits away. From what I've read getting them established is the hardest thing to do.

Also I am going to grow them out some. My ex-wife is a horticulture teacher ang has one big *** green house at school. She agreed to grow them out to half gallon /gallon pots so they have a large root ball
I planted some 2 yrs ago and wrapped mine in 2x4 welded wire in 16" circle but only 3' tall. I would recommend going taller with the wire and larger diameter to get more initial growth. The heat was a concern here and I wanted more vine growth, so I planted in the shade of brush(mesquite or huisache). I am going to plant more this year with larger cages. All the ones I experimented with grew well. I bought them at Wally World in pots. Were not a bad price also. Good luck!
texashunter56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
Homer75
Eight Point

Following this one.
Homer75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2017, 06:10 PM   #7
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

I just fertilized and filled my watering tank for mine. Going to add a few more to my feed pen next month.

The deer took to them really well last year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Slick8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2017, 06:20 PM   #8
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by texashunter56 View Post
I planted some 2 yrs ago and wrapped mine in 2x4 welded wire in 16" circle but only 3' tall. I would recommend going taller with the wire and larger diameter to get more initial growth. The heat was a concern here and I wanted more vine growth, so I planted in the shade of brush(mesquite or huisache). I am going to plant more this year with larger cages. All the ones I experimented with grew well. I bought them at Wally World in pots. Were not a bad price also. Good luck!
I am looking at 4 ft. And about 36-48" diameter. I am going to plant 30 of these along brushy fence line and the other ten on brush piles we were gonna burn, but now I want to see if I can get honeysuckle to take over them. Just by design they should flourish

Last edited by BrandonA; 02-27-2017 at 06:23 PM..
Old 02-27-2017, 06:22 PM   #9
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Cost was right at $259. I will have to get to the office to tell you where. Planting time is spring. I'm having them shipped now so I can grow them out in Greenhouse a month.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:25 PM   #10
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Have the deer taken to them?
Old 02-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #11
texashunter56
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas in Goliad, Live Oak, La Salle, Pecos to Kansas to Alberta and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
Have the deer taken to them?
Yes they have and that is why I noted that my cages are to small in height/diameter. Basically they trim all the growth outside the cage. I was hoping they would vine onto the trees/brush I planted next to but so far the deer are getting all the new growth, so I will probable enlarge the growth cages a bit on these plants. No rabbit problems so far with the 2x4 welded wire.
IIRC I paid like $10 for the potted ones at Walmart.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:38 AM   #12
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
https://www.gardenplantsnursery.com/ This is who I ordered from. I will probably plant sometime in March, depending on what size they are.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:43 PM   #13
bismic
Nubbin' Buck

Great to know. I am surprised they do well here in S. Texas.
bismic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2017, 10:12 PM   #14
tex4k
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

I've got one in my front yard, had it for 3 yrs, deer keep it trimmed down to about knee high. I'm going to have to put a cage around it someday, just have to work it in between my other procrastination goals. The deer like it and it holds up to some pretty heavy browsing and hot dry west Texas weather.
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2017, 03:02 PM   #15
BlakeJ
Four Point

I'm gonna start planting some of these. Are the jap honeysuckle varieties the best bet? I was going to plant them around some smaller mesquites and cage them up, will this work?
BlakeJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2017, 03:22 PM   #16
BrandonA
Pope & Young

From what I have read the Japanese HS is the most aggressive and withstand the heaviest browsing.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:38 PM   #17
tex4k
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

The one in my yard was advertised as "Halls Honeysuckle", from my understanding this is a Japanese variety, I have a coral honeysuckle as well, the deer browse it some but not as much. From what I've noticed the deer hit it the hardest after a couple of frost, then again in spring with new growth.
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2017, 11:33 PM   #18
Daniel75
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Red River County & Atoka Co Oklahoma

I've read that honeysuckle can overtake native foliage if it's not kept in check. Any truth to that?
Daniel75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2017, 08:02 AM   #19
texashunter56
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel75 View Post
I've read that honeysuckle can overtake native foliage if it's not kept in check. Any truth to that?
Yes, Japanese Honeysuckle is considered and invasive plant in some states. Never seen it become an issue with the amount of deer and droughts in Texas IME. We have native honeysuckle here such as White Honeysuckle(Hill Country) and it is not quite as invasive but still a top pick of deer.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:26 AM   #20
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes, Japanese Honeysuckle is considered and invasive plant in some states. Never seen it become an issue with the amount of deer and droughts in Texas IME. We have native honeysuckle here such as White Honeysuckle(Hill Country) and it is not quite as invasive but still a top pick of deer.
Exactly. I wouldn't recommend planting this around your home or anything but for deer its a great chose from the research I have done.

Last edited by BrandonA; 03-03-2017 at 08:52 AM..
Old 03-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #21
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: East & Northern Arkansas.

I think what we have here is Japanese honeysuckle. Deer keep it beat down pretty good best I can tell. I have no science to back this, but there seems to be less of it around now than when I was a kid. More deer I guess.
Razrbk89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top