Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Photography

Old 01-13-2017, 07:18 AM   #1
Bill M
Pope & Young

Default Flickr dump

I started subscribing to Smugmug this AM after seeing this. I knew they were offering our photos for sale but have been ignoring this fact. I'm wanting to start deleting from Flickr and was wondering if there is a way to dump many at once or am I stuck with the task of one at a time. Thanks for any insight.

Name:  flickr sale.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  30.4 KB
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2017, 08:21 AM   #2
Casey
Administrator

Bill,
Are you logged in and seeing that? I am not logged in and those options are nowhere to be found on my page. What are your license type settings? If Creative Commons or similar, I can see where they might go with that.

Regardless, I've drifted away from Flickr a bit. I have no idea how to do a mass delete or dump.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2017, 08:50 AM   #3
Bill M
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
Bill,
Are you logged in and seeing that? I am not logged in and those options are nowhere to be found on my page. What are your license type settings? If Creative Commons or similar, I can see where they might go with that.

Regardless, I've drifted away from Flickr a bit. I have no idea how to do a mass delete or dump.
Casey I've checked before and this is an option even in pro accounts. When you have a photo open there is an icon like the photo link add icon here that will shot the screen I have posted. I figured out how to dump multiples by going to camera roll instead of stream. I'll go back to using Flickr for family stuff, low resolution stuff. Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:57 AM   #4
Casey
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
Casey I've checked before and this is an option even in pro accounts. When you have a photo open there is an icon like the photo link add icon here that will shot the screen I have posted. I figured out how to dump multiples by going to camera roll instead of stream. I'll go back to using Flickr for family stuff, low resolution stuff. Thanks for the reply.
Oh, once l logged into my account, which is pro, I have that option. When not logged in, I could not get that icon on my photos.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #5
Casey
Administrator

Bill,
Not to belabor, but here is the photo on your page as I view it from my pro account. No icon to buy is visible.

Name:  billphoto.JPG
Views: 567
Size:  28.2 KB

Conversely, one of my photos with the "create wall art" icon present (lower right corner).

Name:  caseyphot.JPG
Views: 568
Size:  24.6 KB

I'm merely trying to offer peace of mind as I'm not sure all of our photos are available for purchase to the outside world. They may be, but not through the flickr page I'm visiting!

With that said, since I'm not using it, I may bail as well. No need to pay for it these days.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #6
Bill M
Pope & Young

Thank you very much for that information. I have not been able to look at from your/the publics POV. I assume they are thinking I don't have better places to buy prints. Thanks for straightening me out. I've been looking to go to smugmug for awhile anyway. As stated, lesser photos to flckr from here on out. Enjoy your weekend.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #7
Chad C
Pope & Young

I just started checking out smugmug, it was easy to dump everything from flickr to smugmug.
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2017, 01:57 PM   #8
Snakelover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stephens Co., TX

Have been thinking of going to Smugmug as well, but just haven't invested the time. I haven't uploaded much to flickr for a long time. It's been hard to get excited about flickr when I can present most of my photos just as well on Facebook. But I think I might like to use Smugmug more like a photography portfolio, only including shots I'd like to share publicly. Most of the time when I think about doing this kind of stuff in front of the computer, I'd rather grab the camera and go out and shoot some more pictures of birds or something!
Snakelover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #9
Bill M
Pope & Young

Agreed Chad. I just moved most of what I wanted to different galleries in Smugmug from Flickr.

David not much to it really. Seemed cumbersome to me when I used it before but not so much now. I feel I'll have more control there also.

https://billmorris.smugmug.com/
Old 01-13-2017, 03:51 PM   #10
jdma
Eight Point

Bill - I have been looking at smug mug for a while now myself. I have been going back and forth trying to decide where to put the photos besides the external hard drive for the extra protection as we have discussed on another thread. Your smugmug photos do look great. Keep up the good work and please continue sharing.
Thanks Jeff
jdma is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2017, 06:04 AM   #11
Bill M
Pope & Young

Jeff IMO they look better in Smugmug than in Flickr. Thanks for the comment.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:55 AM   #12
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

I have used SmugMug for years. I haven't ever really put much effort into making a nice-looking page for myself. I just use it as a place to put my pics. But after seeing your new page there, Bill, I played around a little with some of the new layout features. I found that I can pick and choose specific galleries and/or individual photos to show on my public homepage. But all the galleries that I have are still there, behind the scenes, whether I publish them on the homepage or not. That's pretty cool. Best of both worlds. I will probably play with that more to be more intentional about what shows and what is just in storage in the background.

I'm glad you posted this.

http://shanejennings.smugmug.com/
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2017, 01:13 PM   #13
jdma
Eight Point

Bill and Shane
It looks like you can start at a lower level (Basic or Power) smugmug and then if you decide at a later date to start selling them then you can bump it up to the portfolio or higher. Thanks for sharing your smugmug sights
Old 01-15-2017, 08:24 AM   #14
Bill M
Pope & Young

Shane where did you find how to do that. I want to have all the bird photography under one heading but couldn't figure out how to do that. I would like to learn the different tricks. Any good source to learn that you know of?
Old 01-15-2017, 07:36 PM   #15
Chad C
Pope & Young

I'm no where near the pixel guru that you fellas are but I'm still tryin' to figure it out.

https://chadcrawford.smugmug.com/
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2017, 07:55 PM   #16
Shane
Pope & Young

Quote:
Shane where did you find how to do that. I want to have all the bird photography under one heading but couldn't figure out how to do that. I would like to learn the different tricks. Any good source to learn that you know of?
On your home page, click on "Customize", then "Content and Design". Then on the content tab I set it to show Galleries. On the edit screen, when you hover over the Galleries heading, a toolbar pops up. Click the wrench, and then select the galleries you want to show.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:51 PM   #17
Bill M
Pope & Young

Got it, thank you Shane.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:33 AM   #18
Snakelover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Agreed Chad. I just moved most of what I wanted to different galleries in Smugmug from Flickr.

David not much to it really. Seemed cumbersome to me when I used it before but not so much now. I feel I'll have more control there also.

https://billmorris.smugmug.com/
I finally just decided to go for it this morning. I'm at the office (not at Lightroom) but transferred enough photos over from Flickr to at least get the process started. Baby steps!

https://davidharkins.smugmug.com/
Old 01-27-2017, 11:24 AM   #19
grunranch
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Scroggins, TX

Why smugmug? Just curious as I'm still searching for the right long term photo storage and sharing solution. Changing terms of service and the thought of moving yet again drive me nuts!
grunranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2017, 06:14 AM   #20
Bill M
Pope & Young

Personally I just wanted to give smugmug another try and have the ability to make parts of my photos private. I didn't think someone could download the photos but apparently that isn't the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakelover View Post
I finally just decided to go for it this morning. I'm at the office (not at Lightroom) but transferred enough photos over from Flickr to at least get the process started. Baby steps!

https://davidharkins.smugmug.com/
Looks good David. I haven't spent enough time setting up and exploring what I want to do yet but will get to it. I may go with the next one up at some point to attempt a sale or three.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:30 AM   #21
IowaHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iowa

Maybe the purchase option is just for you - then Flickr makes a little more money. Also, I'd think once they have your photos they always have them. I love the photos you post up.
IowaHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2017, 08:06 AM   #22
Snakelover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Looks good David. I haven't spent enough time setting up and exploring what I want to do yet but will get to it. I may go with the next one up at some point to attempt a sale or three.
Thanks! I'm moving slowly into this because I haven't really figured things out yet. Mindy bought the subscription for selling. I think I'll probably go that way too, but I've got about 9 or 10 more days of the free trial to decide.

I also haven't decided whether I want to dump Flickr completely or use it for family and friends, birthday parties, Christmas, etc photos and reserve SmugMug as more of a photography portfolio sort of thing with only my best photos that are of a broader public interest. Then again, with Facebook, I'm not sure I need Flickr at all. The thing is I have over 13,000 photos on Flickr and they were mostly shot in JPG without the use of Lr. Maybe I should just keep the basic version for archival purposes. See? Lots of things I just need to get figured out!
Old 01-31-2017, 08:18 AM   #23
Snakelover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunranch View Post
Why smugmug? Just curious as I'm still searching for the right long term photo storage and sharing solution. Changing terms of service and the thought of moving yet again drive me nuts!
Just a personal preference. My perception is that SmugMug has more options for how your page is set up for viewing, purchase options, etc. But that may not be accurate. My personal frustration with Flickr is that I've been with it for a long time and it seemed like they made it less user friendly, not more. As you mentioned, once you go a particular direction, it's a hard decision to change. But when I came to the idea of wanting a website photography portfolio of sorts, it seemed about as easy to go a whole new direction as to retro my old Flickr into something new.

For comparison, here's my Flickr... https://www.flickr.com/photos/snakelover/

And here's my SmugMug... https://davidharkins.smugmug.com/

Last edited by Snakelover; 01-31-2017 at 08:22 AM..
Old 02-02-2017, 02:55 PM   #24
Snakelover
Pope & Young

Anyone know how to post pictures from SmugMug on TBH?

https://davidharkins.smugmug.com/Lag...ch/i-WtSnhGr/A

Figured since this thread is about SmugMug, it would be a good place to ask.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:16 PM   #25
Shane
Pope & Young

I can't get SmugMug here at work, but there is a share icon under the photo that you have selected. It looks like 3 boxes of different sizes. Click that, select the size you want, then copy the link. Come back to TBH, click on the icon for IMG, paste link in the box, and submit.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:09 PM   #26
Bill M
Pope & Young

David you do have to use the photo url icon as Shane said. I'm curious how they post here since I haven't. On a photo forum I frequent they show in odd sizes from SM.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:12 PM   #27
Shane
Pope & Young

I use the large size to post on TBH. All you need is an "[img]" before the photo link, and an "[/img]" after the link.

If I'm posting from my phone, I just download the photo from my SmugMug app onto my phone, and then I use the Tapatalk photo upload link to post on TBH.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:48 PM   #28
Shane
Pope & Young

David, I gave you wrong info. The icon with the 3 boxes is for different sizes of the pic. To get a link to share on TBH, click the share icon. It is a box with an arrow coming out of it (to share). When you click that icon, a box pops up. There you can select the size that you want to share, and then you'll get a link to copy. You can choose the "Photo Only" link and come back to TBH and post that in the Insert Image dialogue. OR, you can choose the BBCode link and just paste that in your reply box here on TBH, like this.....

That gives you a clickable picture in your TBH post. When you click on it, it takes you to your photo on your SmugMug page.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:49 AM   #29
Bill M
Pope & Young

I didn't think that worked (BB code) Shane, thanks for making me try again.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:17 AM   #30
Snakelover
Pope & Young

I can't get SmugMug to show me the sharing options. I see the menus. But the Choose Size, Photo Only, HTML and BBCODE links don't do anything or show anything. In my Gallery Settings>Social, the "Show Sharing Options" is turned ON. I'm really puzzled why these options aren't available to me.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:31 AM   #31
Snakelover
Pope & Young

Of all things, the problem was apparently in my browser, Internet Explorer. It works fine in Chrome. It's not the first time that IE has had some stupid quirk. Guess I should ditch it and use Chrome full time.

Thanks, Shane!
Old 02-03-2017, 09:33 AM   #32
Shane
Pope & Young

Old 02-03-2017, 09:39 PM   #33
jdma
Eight Point

Thanks for the information Shane, Bill and David. I thought I would give it a shot and see if it worked for me. I just started using smugmug myself and I like it so far.

Last edited by jdma; 02-03-2017 at 09:43 PM..
Old 02-08-2017, 10:50 AM   #34
Snakelover
Pope & Young

I'm about to find out how SmugMug's customer service is when something goes wrong with a print order. I ordered a print on metal that arrived damaged by USPS. My selected print service is BayPhoto.

I first called BayPhoto. But they don't deal with SmugMug customers directly. Anything they do as a service to SmugMug has to be dealt with through SmugMug. OK, I get that. Understandable.

Step two was to email SmugMug through a link associated with my particular order. It gave me the opportunity to attached files, so I sent them photos of the damage, both before and after opening the box. I explained the situation and gave them my cell phone number in case they want to call and discuss.

I immediately received an auto-reply email saying quote... "Our Support Heroes are on the case!" OK, so far so good.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:28 AM   #35
Snakelover
Pope & Young

Update: I just received this email...

Quote:
Kelly
FEB 08, 2017 | 09:17AM PST

Hi David,

Thank you for contacting SmugMug!

Iím very sorry to hear your order arrived damaged! Not to worry, you are covered by our print guarantee.

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/por...rint-guarantee

I have asked the lab to reprint your order and send that to you again. You will not see any new emails about the remake order or tracking. However, if you would like to check on tracking, you are welcome to contact us in a couple of business days once we have a tracking number available. It will take a few days for the metal print to be remade and then a few business days beyond that for shipping.

I hope you enjoy the new order when it arrives!

If you have any additional questions, or we can help with anything else, please let us know!

Kelly
SmugMug Support Hero
http://help.smugmug.com
Very acceptable experience so far. My only complaint is that the item wasn't protected better in packaging and had no "fragile" or "do not bend" markings on the outside of the box. I question whether USPS handlers read those, but that's beside the point. The effort should be made.

I'm just hoping they do a better job of packaging on the replacement order or we might be going through this again.

My SmugMug Support Hero didn't mention returning the item. So I guess I'm free to pound on it with a rubber mallet and see if I can straighten it back into something halfway presentable. I kind of doubt it, but worth a try.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #36
Shane
Pope & Young

I've had nothing but good experiences as well.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #37
Bill M
Pope & Young

Glad to hear they are on it David.