Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 11-12-2016, 07:09 AM   #1
MIKE_Drenalin
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas
Default James Daughtery Hunt

Was wondering what info anyone could give me about James daughtery.... taking my nephew on a youth hunt and have never been there before. Places to stay??? Compartments to try to be in??? Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MIKE_Drenalin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2016, 06:04 PM   #2
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Tuned in for additional info, I'll be there January 3rd for the Bowhunt myself.

It's been years since I've been there and it's changed a lot since then....namely the lake was full back then.

Seach for the Daughtry, there's a few good threads on here including a great live thread fromy 150class last year. A good read with some good details.

You can camp at the park or get a cabin which is pretty near the park. Other than that I don't know but need for get to researching it myself.
Slick8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2016, 06:15 AM   #3
MIKE_Drenalin
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick8 View Post

It's been years since I've been there and it's changed a lot since then....namely the lake was full back then.

Seach for the Daughtry, there's a few good threads on here including a great live thread fromy 150class last year. A good read with some good details.

You can camp at the park or get a cabin which is pretty near the park. Other than that I don't know but need for get to researching it myself.

Any info on the cabins??? May call and see if they have any info they can share on places to stay since i know there are not many close by spots.

Old 11-13-2016, 01:56 PM   #4
Slick8
Pope & Young

You can stay at the WMA which is primitive camping only or at Choke Canyon State Park Calliham Unit only (361/786-3538). That's taken directly from the WMA info on the TPWD website.

I'm planning to stay at the one of the below listed. I googled "cabin on choke canyon" and was shown 3 sets of cabins and a motel on the lower end of the lake. Depending on where you hunt and if you must check in at the WMA each day it's a bit of drive but I think this is it for the area.

When I doe hunted several years ago I stayed at the WMA but that was a two day rifle hunt. Being a 3 day bow hunt I want a shower and to not be rained on in January. I'm not going camping, I'm going hunting and plan to hunt all day.

https://www.google.com/#q=cabins%20o...1&rlfi=hd:;si:
Old 11-13-2016, 02:07 PM   #5
Ten Point

I stayed at Choke Canyon Lodge. Nice place. Not too long a drive from where I hunted. Had I chose a compartment closer to the park it would have been great.

Here is a brief summary from of previous post of mine regarding the JDWA. Last year the rut hit early according to our hunt coordinator. There is a very primitive camp area next to headquarters, but open fires were strongly discouraged. Take extra corn, cause once the hogs and javi's find you.....they clean you out then come back when you rebait. This is the main reason why the big floppy buck didn't stick around long enough.

"I hunted compartment 5. Saw a ton of hogs in the sendero along the river. I was there for the "trophy" hunt. After they released us, I drove in and baited the sendero by the river for the night hunt. Had a few hours to burn, so I set up under a shade tree watching another sendero by an oil pump. Hit the rattling horns a few times and 15 mins into sitting in my chair out jumps a nice shooter buck and makes a bee line for me. I had him in the scope but didn't want to go home after only being there for less than an hour. Short time after that buck walks by, I see another bigger bodied buck with a floppy ear. Watched him for a bit, picked my gun up, didn't pull the trigger, cause I just got there. That night in the river sendero I baited I get covered up in hogs, see a few does, and a small 10 point that was inside his ears. Next morning I set up by the pump house, and had the big floppy eared buck in my scope with 2 mins until legal shooting light, then he disappears into the brush. Never saw him again. Later I would see several does, a few small bucks. Also saw a bunch of javelinas, and a few coyotes. Saw two javi's run off a young coyote. Pretty cool to watch that.

Compartments 1-5 were slow my week. Hunters in the compartments down near choke canyon (11-13) saw more deer. One guy had no less than 10 bucks every hunt in front of him. One buck was taken. While I was there."

Last edited by .270; 11-13-2016 at 02:10 PM..
.270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2016, 04:48 PM   #6
Slick8
Pope & Young

Additionally, you're not that far from Three Rivers for hotels, restaurants or convinces such as more corn.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:05 PM   #7
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sheridan, Victoria, Weesatche and Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE_Drenalin View Post
Was wondering what info anyone could give me about James daughtery.... taking my nephew on a youth hunt and have never been there before. Places to stay??? Compartments to try to be in??? Any help is appreciated.

When will y'all be there? Will have my 9 year old there Dec 17-20

OleTomTalker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2016, 06:36 AM   #8
MIKE_Drenalin
Four Point

We will be there dec. 17-20 as well.
Do you get to pick your unit or do they assign them I heard in the past the unit was assigned to you...
Thanks for the info you guys have given. Every little bit helps plan the hunt

Old 11-14-2016, 07:26 AM   #9
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Quote:
We will be there dec. 17-20 as well.
Do you get to pick your unit or do they assign them I heard in the past the unit was assigned to you...
Thanks for the info you guys have given. Every little bit helps plan the hunt

I believe they assign them. Waiting to hear report from a TBH'er who was there this weekend for youth doe hunt.

TBH'er "wence" will also have his son there same time as us. We're staying at Choke Canyon State Park in one of the shelters. They're $50 a night.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:34 AM   #10
Slick8
Pope & Young

It's ran by the same biologist that runs the chaparral.

What they've done in the past on both places is to allow you to pick your compartment based on your drawn number. So the first card they picked during the drawing picks first and so on down the line.

I'll be out there January 3rd, leave me a few good deer....
Old 11-14-2016, 08:36 AM   #11
MIKE_Drenalin
Four Point

Well first time for my nephew to hunt south Texas deer so I am pretty sure he will get buck fever....

Old 11-14-2016, 08:59 AM   #12
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Quote:
Well first time for my nephew to hunt south Texas deer so I am pretty sure he will get buck fever....

If weather is good, all reports I've heard are to expect seeing lots of animals, so should be fun for the kiddos. Will be really close to peak of rut so bring rattling horns. Some units have blinds but bring popup just in case.

My 9 year old has his mind made up he's gonna kill buck bigger than mommy's or dad's so he can get a shoulder mount but I'm betting he's begging to shoot at first sign of antlers!

Old 11-14-2016, 09:22 AM   #13
16ncs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fayette Co., Greene Co.

Quote:

150class had a great live hunt thread and I believe he had a lead up with what he considered when choosing his compartment. I seem to recall he went back to some type of motel or room each night. Find that thread and other related threads he may have started about that hunt.
16ncs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2016, 09:31 AM   #14
16ncs
Pope & Young

150class spelled it Daughtrey if you are searching for threads by words in the titles.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:42 AM   #15
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ncs View Post
150class spelled it Daughtrey if you are searching for threads by words in the titles.
Yes, it's spelled James Daughtrey but try several different spellings when doing searches. I even misspelled it a couple times.

Last edited by OleTomTalker; 11-14-2016 at 09:58 AM..
Old 11-14-2016, 09:55 AM   #16
yanta61
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bee & Karnes county

choke canyon cabins - right outside of calliham unit. has a few cabins and rv spots.
Mylissa - 361-318-494eight

Choke canyon get away rv park - between calliham and south shore -
Doug - 210-818-615nine

Another Rv/cabin off Hwy 99 right before the bridge but dont have any contact info.
yanta61 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2016, 10:00 AM   #17
yanta61
Ten Point

also if your staying around Calliham and get a unit by the Daughtrey headquarters your looking at about an 45 min drive.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:49 AM   #18
uncle jesse
Spike

Hunt In: Fayette Co

Last year for the youth doe/spike hunt, they assigned compartments
uncle jesse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2016, 01:49 PM   #19
MIKE_Drenalin
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomTalker View Post
I believe they assign them. Waiting to hear report from a TBH'er who was there this weekend for youth doe hunt.

TBH'er "wence" will also have his son there same time as us. We're staying at Choke Canyon State Park in one of the shelters. They're $50 a night.

Was wondering if you have to check in every day at the check in station if staying in Tilden wouldn't be easier.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:25 PM   #20
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Quote:
Was wondering if you have to check in every day at the check in station if staying in Tilden wouldn't be easier.

I think you only check back in when you have an animal but maybe someone who knows for sure will chime in.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:59 PM   #21
Ten Point

Quote:

We had to check in and check out daily, but if you are in the Calliham you could do it by phone call, but if you get a deer you need to bring it back to headquarters for data.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:27 PM   #22
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Take horns if you are familiar with rattling unless you believe it'll be too fast pace of a situation for your nephew between seeing the deer, determining if he's a legal shooter, and taking a shot. I hunted unit 6 and would do it again in a heart beat if possible (as long as the lake isn't way higher then 2 years ago).

They drew names out of a hat for order of who got what unit. The biologist considers how many people you have in your group too when he's selecting the unit for you.

I stayed in some small cabins just before you get to Calliham park. So I drove through Tilden back to the unit which was about a 25-30 min drive.

Also Ask Chris, if I'm remembering his name correctly, on suggestions about your unit that you are given
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2016, 05:53 PM   #23
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by .270 View Post
We had to check in and check out daily, but if you are in the Calliham you could do it by phone call, but if you get a deer you need to bring it back to headquarters for data.

Thanks

Old 11-17-2016, 07:21 PM   #24
Jay9
Nubbin' Buck

My Dad, two Uncles and I were drawn this past season for the GDE hunt in January. We hunted in compartment 9, which was on the Northwest side of the lake on hwy 99 across the bridge. This compartment was the most convenient for us because we took a travel trailer and stayed at the Callihan state park by the lake.
We were able to pick our compartments in the order in which our applications were drawn. Listening to others it seems compartment drawings differ each hunt. We did not have to go back to headquarters after each hunt but we had to call in and let them know we were leaving the area. Although, if you killed something, deer, coyote, hog, etc, you had to take it back to the check station no matter what it was. We saw several deer, hogs, turkeys and javelinas. Not many but a few really good bucks(130 to 150s b&c) that we could not get a shot at and a bunch of smaller bucks from about 110 to 130 b&c. I ended up taking an 8 pointer that scored around 120. Take plenty of corn and corn the scenderios and roadways thick. When we went the rut was winding down and not much responded to rattling horns or grunt tubes. Be prepared to sit all day. They move all day long.
If you are looking for cabins and plan to hunt by the lake the Callihan park also had cabins with bunks. No appliances if I remember correctly but it is a roof with a bed, electricity and heater/ air conditioner. Chris was the ranch manager and was very helpful assisting us on our hunt, so don't be afraid to ask him questions. I think he is still the manager. Hopefully that helps you out.
Jay9 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2016, 08:08 AM   #25
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay9 View Post
My Dad, two Uncles and I were drawn this past season for the GDE hunt in January. We hunted in compartment 9, which was on the Northwest side of the lake on hwy 99 across the bridge. This compartment was the most convenient for us because we took a travel trailer and stayed at the Callihan state park by the lake.
We were able to pick our compartments in the order in which our applications were drawn. Listening to others it seems compartment drawings differ each hunt. We did not have to go back to headquarters after each hunt but we had to call in and let them know we were leaving the area. Although, if you killed something, deer, coyote, hog, etc, you had to take it back to the check station no matter what it was. We saw several deer, hogs, turkeys and javelinas. Not many but a few really good bucks(130 to 150s b&c) that we could not get a shot at and a bunch of smaller bucks from about 110 to 130 b&c. I ended up taking an 8 pointer that scored around 120. Take plenty of corn and corn the scenderios and roadways thick. When we went the rut was winding down and not much responded to rattling horns or grunt tubes. Be prepared to sit all day. They move all day long.
If you are looking for cabins and plan to hunt by the lake the Callihan park also had cabins with bunks. No appliances if I remember correctly but it is a roof with a bed, electricity and heater/ air conditioner. Chris was the ranch manager and was very helpful assisting us on our hunt, so don't be afraid to ask him questions. I think he is still the manager. Hopefully that helps you out.
Thanks for the info. I know as of now, there are 3 father/son sets of us staying at the state park shelters. Do you think it is best for us to try to pick something (if given chance) convenient to the Park or were some of the farther units better for hunting? Or does it even matter to try to go for a certain unit?
Old 11-18-2016, 08:50 AM   #26
yanta61
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by .270 View Post
This is how our gator hunt went in Sept... Guys working there try and make it as easy on you as possible..
Old 11-18-2016, 09:32 AM   #27
Ten Point

Most the guys who hunted the Calliham unit that I talked to were covered up in bucks, the side I was on was slim pickings. I forget what unit he was in, but one compartment borders a large ranch that is NOT HUNTED. One worker told him of some giants that move around in that particular compartment. I didn't think to write down the compartment for future reference.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:35 PM   #28
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Killed at Daughtrey this week on bow hunt. Don't really know any other info but that's a nice deer!

Old 11-20-2016, 05:39 PM   #29
Jay9
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I know as of now, there are 3 father/son sets of us staying at the state park shelters. Do you think it is best for us to try to pick something (if given chance) convenient to the Park or were some of the farther units better for hunting? Or does it even matter to try to go for a certain unit?
I think any compartment you pick is good. Compartment 9 and 10 were about 15 to 20 minutes, max from the Callihan park which was more convenient for us. We saw lot of deer and like I said some good bucks as well. From our hunt in January the only other compartment I heard of a hunter seeing good deer was compartment 6 I believe, which is right by headquarters. But you are in South Texas and there are good deer everywhere. Good luck and post pics.
Jay9 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2016, 05:56 PM   #30
Ten Point

Quote:
I stayed at Choke Canyon Lodge, and drove up to the JD. It was about a 25 min drive. If I chose to stay there again, I might pick a unit in Calliham just for something close to my hunting unit and my lodging, for that mid day break. But they try to put you close to where you are staying. When I picked #5 and I told him where I was staying, he gave me multiple chances to change my mind.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:56 AM   #31
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Anyone know if they allow tracking dogs?

Ethan Jahns
830-299-2828
50 dollars flat rate, $50 if recovered.
Karnes, Live Oak, Bee and Wilson counties.

Copied this from the tracking dog thread. Hopefully everyone finds what they shoot but it's always good to be prepared and that doesn't sound like bad price if one of the kiddos shoots a good buck.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:35 AM   #32
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

OP, did y'all figure out where you will be staying for the hunt?
Old 12-07-2016, 10:34 AM   #33
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Talked to one of the guys down at Daughtrey today. Said the youth hunt will be compartments 1-6 and 9-10. (There are some basic maps on tpwd webpage that shows the breakdown of the compartments) Said all these compartments have blinds but range from nice with closeable windows to little boxes with 2x6 for seats, all depends on which compartment you get. They are going by order drawn for the hunt, gets to choose compartment.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:48 AM   #34
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Quote:
Talked to one of the guys down at Daughtrey today. Said the youth hunt will be compartments 1-6 and 9-10. (There are some basic maps on tpwd webpage that shows the breakdown of the compartments) Said all these compartments have blinds but range from nice with closeable windows to little boxes with 2x6 for seats, all depends on which compartment you get. They are going by order drawn for the hunt, gets to choose compartment.
If you get the chance push for unit 6 as long as the water isn't up (shouldn't be).

But more importantly ask Chris what he thinks you should do since he runs the place lol
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2016, 10:10 AM   #35
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Bring some warm clothes for the kiddos! Gonna be hot on Saturday but cool way off for Sunday and Monday with highs in mid 40's

Old 12-19-2016, 02:02 PM   #36
Slick8
Pope & Young

Any updates, you guys have ran the full range of weather for this hunt but today and tomorrow should be great.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:31 PM   #37
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Default James Daughtery Hunt

Quote:
Any updates, you guys have ran the full range of weather for this hunt but today and tomorrow should be great.

Jacob got his best buck this afternoon after fighting the last couple days of rough cold weather while recovering from being sick. Will score in the morning. Atleast 2 other TBH'ers kids got bucks this weekend. Hopefully have more details in morning after hunt is over

Old 12-19-2016, 10:40 PM   #38
Sideler
Ten Point

Congrats on your first buck Jacob.
Sideler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2016, 10:45 PM   #39
16ncs
Pope & Young

Quote:

Jacob got his best buck this afternoon after fighting the last couple days of rough cold weather while recovering from being sick. Will score in the morning. Atleast 2 other TBH'ers kids got bucks this weekend. Hopefully have more details in morning after hunt is over

That's the best medicine right there. Great buck Jacob!

Congrats to the others too!
Old 12-20-2016, 05:39 AM   #40
Slick8
Pope & Young

Congrats to both you and Jacob on a fine looking deer. One he's not soon to forget.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2016, 06:19 AM   #41
Big Todd
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Victoria

Awesome job Jacob. Way to go Greg glad it worked out for yall. Do you still hunt today or is it a one deer hunt?
Big Todd is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2016, 12:15 PM   #42
HotRod Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land and have a lease in Huntsville thats only good for riding four wheelers and camping

Congrats to Jacob that's a fine looking buck. What was he shooting ? how far was it ?
HotRod Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2016, 12:57 PM   #43
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod Hunter View Post
Congrats to Jacob that's a fine looking buck. What was he shooting ? how far was it ?

Shot with mom's .308 at 75 yards. Fell in his tracks. Will try to get video up in next couple days with report

Old 12-20-2016, 01:49 PM   #44
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Todd View Post
Awesome job Jacob. Way to go Greg glad it worked out for yall. Do you still hunt today or is it a one deer hunt?

He could have still shot a doe but we were worn out so we slept in and packed everything up.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:24 PM   #45
uncle jesse
Spike

Hunt In: Fayette Co

Two bucks taken from this youth hunt topped the south Texas youth division in the Shiner Big Buck Contest.

www.shinerbigbuck.com
uncle jesse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2017, 02:49 PM   #46
Army of Dad
Six Point

Hunt In: Public land

My daughter drew a youth hog hunt permit, but we had to let it go back because she has a commitment that weekend. Tough break, but no way to know about that when we picked the dates.

Last edited by Army of Dad; 01-19-2017 at 02:54 PM..
Army of Dad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2017, 03:58 PM   #47
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle jesse View Post
Two bucks taken from this youth hunt topped the south Texas youth division in the Shiner Big Buck Contest.

www.shinerbigbuck.com

Way to go guys!

Old 01-19-2017, 04:00 PM   #48
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army of Dad View Post
My daughter drew a youth hog hunt permit, but we had to let it go back because she has a commitment that weekend. Tough break, but no way to know about that when we picked the dates.

Jacob drew this tag too. As of now looking like we'll get to make it.