New to AR-15. Ammo help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to AR-15. Ammo help.

I grew up with AK-47 and G3 7.62×51mm rifles all my life, fast forward 33 years and life in the USA, a good AK is hard to find or very expensive (don't want a G3 ) and so is the ammo, so I had a good friend build me an AR-15... (a wylde .223/5.56 NATO)
    Now I need to determine what ammo to buy,,, been looking for a week but there are so many different types, grains and brands.... it's crazy...

I need to know what ammo type/grain/casing to buy for the range and what ammo type/grain/casing for when TSHTF...

any other info would be appreciated as well.

what is the twist rate and barrel length? might narrow the ammo choice.

Comment

Originally posted by 686PPP View Post
      what is the twist rate and barrel length? might narrow the ammo choice.
      MAS Defense 18" Barrel, .223 Wylde, 1:8 twist

Comment

What do you want to do? If you just want good, obtainable, reliable, reasonably priced ammo it's hard to beat M193.

Comment

Hope this helps.

bullet twist by Tony Pic, on Flickr
          ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452021068.462778 by Tony Pic, on Flickr

Comment

You might find that what is suggested isn't exactly what your rifle likes. 55 grain softpoint would be a good place to start in my opinion. If it doesn't group well maybe switch to a heavier bullet.

Comment

Steel casing: Yes/No?
              Steel core: I know
              Brass casing: Yes/No?
              I'm mainly looking at 55 to 65 grain, but steel core are mostly 62 grain.

Just not sure what brand and casing types to buy.

Comment

I've shot Hornady Steel Match bullets which aren't brass and never had any trouble with them. Some are dirtier than others so that's the downside to steel cased ammo.

I shoot brass to reload. I don't know much about steel core bullets. For plinking they'd probably be alright but for hunting purposes especially on hogs I'd take a softpoint or bonded bullet over an FMJ.
                Last edited by okrattler; 03-19-2018, 01:29 PM.

Comment

if you are shooting at a private range check for ammo type restrictions, the club that I shoot doesn't allow steel core. Stick with brass casing, steel are fine but the once fired brass has a value as a reloader. start with whatever 55gr your LGS or Academy has on sale. Shoot it and see how it shoots, if you can find some 60-65gr that are affordable pick up some of those and give them a try. I have found my .223 with a 1:9 likes the 60gr and for range ammo that results in reloading.

Comment

I just buy whatever I find is on sale. I prefer to run brass casing only because my AR is set up to run very light so on a lot of cheaper steel casing that use berdan primers, I get light strikes occasionally.

If you're just looking to stockpile for if/when SHTF, it won't matter. Just buy cheap and a lot. Brass if you can.

Comment

by the way, which caliber ammo do y'all prefer to buy and shoot, .223 or 5.56?
                      it seems 5.56 is cheaper, but accuracy wise I don't think it matters to me, since I have a Wylde barrel.

Comment

Not trying to hikack, but I’m new to the AR world as well.

Is there any practical difference between 5.56 and .223 ammunition for deer/hog hunting? Assuming soft-point bullets. Can you even find those in 5.56?

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
                          by the way, which caliber ammo do y'all prefer to buy and shoot, .223 or 5.56?
                          it seems 5.56 is cheaper, but accuracy wise I don't think it matters to me, since I have a Wylde barrel.
                          Ali- I have a 1:8 barrel and prefer to shoot 62gr and up, which I find very difficult to find locally in 5.56. Most the 5.56 is 55gr. American Eagle makes a 62 gr fmj that shoots as consistently as the Federal Fusions I hunt with.

I personally do not see a difference in target ammo and shtf ammo. I want to put as many rounds down range with reasonable accuracy. Casualties take 2 out of battle

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                            Not trying to hikack, but I’m new to the AR world as well.

Is there any practical difference between 5.56 and .223 ammunition for deer/hog hunting? Assuming soft-point bullets. Can you even find those in 5.56?
                            No there wouldn't be any noticeable difference as far as killing goes. I'm pretty sure they have 5.56 loaded with softpoints. Probably some others I'm not aware of as well but I don't know that for a fact. All the stuff I buy is .223 because most 5.56 stuff you find say at Wal-Mart is FMJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                              Ali- I have a 1:8 barrel and prefer to shoot 62gr and up, which I find very difficult to find locally in 5.56. Most the 5.56 is 55gr. American Eagle makes a 62 gr fmj that shoots as consistently as the Federal Fusions I hunt with.

I personally do not see a difference in target ammo and shtf ammo. I want to put as many rounds down range with reasonable accuracy. Casualties take 2 out of battle
                              Thanks bro!
                              I'm just not clear on the brass and steel casing,,, some people say steel casing is bad for the gun and some others say it's fine to shoot, but it's dirty....
                              Also, which of the two calibers has the better knock down power? for example the .223 65 grain or the 5.56 55 grain? if there's such a thing!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X