My first ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first ribs

Before you pile on a rookie too hard...I had no access to TBH to consult the threads. Wife bought a rack of ribs so I thought I would try it.

marninated in a texas rib rub and apple cider vinegar. used mesquite for the wood chunks to smoke. Gas grill, just lit the left side. Goal was 225 for 5 hrs, but I had no temperature gauge.

here's halfway thru. drizzled a little apple cider vinegar to keep up moisture. kept fresh wood chunks for billowing smoke. I never foil wrapped.

Here's the result. A little dry in parts. bark was flavorful but dry in parts. Had a smoke ring (however inconsistent). I need a thermometer for sure, I think I was running hot.

Any input welcome. i have my newbie seatbelt on!

Sounds and looks like you did ok with limited resources. (Gas grill, no temp gauge). I've always use led to 3-2-1 method and had great success, that might help with the dryness. Looks good for first try!

Comment

Looks like you did a fine job. Especially with what you had. Good job sir.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks good from here brother! Smoke whatcha got!

Comment

niiiiiice

Comment

google "Johnny Trigg ribs" . Come out excellent!

Comment

nice, thanks fellers. I think im hooked. seems like a great way to hang out.

Comment

Not bad at all for a first attempt. I use the 3-2-1 method as well. Just keep cooking and you'll be a master in no time.

Comment

Better than mine did over the weekend! Still have no idea what happened to them.

Comment

Next time try this. 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/4 cup kosher salt in a gallon ziplock, put in the ribs, and fill with apple juice or apple cider. I usually put in a whole rack, folded in half, and fill up with juice until I can just close the ziplock.

Brine the ribs overnight or for at least 12 hrs. Sometimes I throw in some cloves, sometimes some peppercorns, sometimes nothing.

When I'm ready to start smoking, I pull out the ribs and throw them on the grill, then I pour up the brine into an aluminum pan and put it under the ribs to catch the drippings and keep things humid.

When the ribs are done ( meat pulling back from the bone), I pull them and wrap with foil and rest them 15-20 min, take the drippings/brine and pour off into a sauce pan and boil it all down on the stove until it's reduced quite a bit, but not turning dark or burnt. Then I use some of the boiled down brine to make a smokey homemade BBQ sauce (ketchup, a lil mustard, some honey, Worcestershire, soy sauce, dash of hot sauce and apple cider vinegar).

Serve the ribs with a pile of mashed potatoes covered in the BBQ sauce. There have been times that the sauced mashed potatoes were almost better than the ribs. Almost.

Comment

Oh, and the important thing is to keep trying. More ribs = better life.

Comment

Good thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks good. I like to soak mine in apple juice over night. Pat dry then a dry rub all over smoke em like you did with the apple juice in a pan to keep moist. My dry rub
                          2 cups brown sugar light or dark
                          3/4 cajun seasoning your choice of brand
                          3 tbls garlic powder
                          2 tbls onion powder
                          1tbl black pepper
                          1-2 tbls cayenne pepper

Made me hungry for ribs now

Comment

BTDT. Guam 1986. Do with what you have.

My men had beer and wanted ribs.

Comment

Not bad for your first time