Tender Meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tender Meat

I see all these receipes about grilling backstrap and tenderloins. I've wrapped it in bacon, drizzled with this and that and its still sooo tough its almost uneatable. Whats the deal?

How long are you cooking backstraps and tenderloins? I cook all my deer meat rare to medium rare. If you cook too long, it will be dry and tough.

Comment

I apply seasoning and then tenderize with a mallet. Never been tough. SaltwaterSlick ages his on ice in bags for up to two weeks and says you don't need to tenderize. Don't overcook! Pink with a little "juice" is the best way to go. Much easier to overcook backstrap than undercook it.

Comment

Skeeter is right. Many an experienced beefsteak grillmaster (including me) ruined their first venison backstrap or two by overcooking it. When wrapped with bacon, get the grill really hot and sear it for just 2-3 minutes on each side. Then move it away from direct heat for another 5 minutes or so. Then take it off and let it sit for about 10 minutes. It will be medium rare, tender and delicious. I like to pre-cook the bacon for a minute or so in the microwave before wrapping.(I marinade the backstrap overnight in 3 parts Italian dressing to one part Allegro)
        Last edited by jerp; 01-21-2008, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the tip on precooking the bacon, Jerp. That will make mine better.

Comment

I assume you are trimming the silvery membrane off before cooking too. If it's trimmed up and cooked no more than medium, it won't be tough.

Although, I made a bad shot on a doe several years ago - hit her in the guts with my .240 Weatherby. She ran about 1/4 mile before she laid down for good. When I got to her about 15 minutes later, she was already stiff as a board. I assumed that was from adrenalin or something. There wasn't a tender bite of meat in that whole batch. She was a nice young doe too. I've never had another one be like that. It was weird.

Was your deer stiff like that?

Comment

McCormicks Grill Mates Garlic Peppercorn Marinade...comes in a package. Mix it with the water, "red wine" vinegar and "olive oil". Grill your tenderloins whole. On backstrap cut at about 3/4". Cook no more than medium. Medium rare is better.

Just thinking about it makes me want to take some backstrap out of the freezer!

Comment

The ice trick Chew mentioned works. My father in law taught me this one. 1/4your deer and place it in an ice chest for seven days. I have had people eat it and not know they are eating deer. And......if its too tough I'll take it off your hands.

Comment

Get all the silverskin off, age at least 7 days and don't cook it past med rare. Use a meat thermometer and take it off the heat when it hits 125*. Let it rest 5-10 minutes and it should get up near 140*.

I quit aging in a cooler this year, and just bagged the quarters and stuck them in the bottom of the spare fridge. Works great and saves on ice.

Comment

Working...
                  X