Broadhead Tuning Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadhead Tuning Issue

I have a weird (at least to me) issue going on with my setup. I am shooting a Diamond Black Ice at ~67-70lbs and a 27.5" draw. I am shooting CE maxima hunter 350 arrows and have been for years. Last year, I had Archery Country in Austin put a new set of strings on and tune the bow. All last summer and deer season, I had zero issues. I shoot 100gr Ramcat broadheads and my arrows would hit the exact spot as my field points out to 45 yards every time. I shot a doe the middle of January, and put the bow in the case, and did not take it out again until a few months ago. Ever since that time, my broadheads are consistently hitting to the right of my field points. I am talking about at 15 yds, they hit anywhere from 1" to 4" right from shot to shot. I feel like I can visibly see my arrow moving in small circles on the way to the target when a broadhead is on. I took my bow to Archery Country last week to have them tune it. The bow was pretty much shooting bullet holes already in paper, but we made a few very minor adjustments to the nock and rest, and had it shooting perfect holes every time. I took the bow home, got it dialed in with field points, and as soon as I put on a ramcat, I was hitting the same couple inches right at 15 yds. I know that this can be a sign of too flexible of arrow (I think) but I have shot these arrows for 10 years including last year and had zero issues. I would simply move my sight a little but the problem is the broaheads are not consistent in where they hit. Always right but moves left and right an inch or two even at 15 yds. Sorry for the many words, but wanted to give a clear picture of my issue. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

I know it's not much help, but Aaron Barton at Hoffy's Archery in Lampasas is the best guy around. He can get you fixed up. Otherwise I'd try a mechanical like NAP spitfire or something with a shorter ferrel and see if that shoots like your field points since we're already smack in the middle of the season. Mechanicals work, especially the quality ones like spitfires.

Comment

Have you spin checked your arrows with broadheads on them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What rest?

Comment

It may be a FOC issue. I don't get adequate FOC with 100 grain heads, and I think that most people have an FOC problem that is much more noticeable with broadheads.

Comment

If they were working fine at the end of the season and just went out of tune I bet a string or cable stretched.

Retune and you should be fine.

Comment

FOC issues don't really show up at short ranges in my experience. I am not saying it can't be that, but I would look to other issues first.

I second the spin test idea, you could have a bent insert, bent ferrule, something. I also suggest you try another fixed blade to see if the problem exists with a different head. If it does we can rule out the broadheads. The problem with erratic flight like you describe is it can sometimes be shooter error (flinching, punching the trigger, etc) and the fixed blade amplifies that. But if you change heads and the problem goes away we can determine it is not you, but the heads. If it still exists we have to dig deeper. It could be string/cable creep and has the cam timing off.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                If they were working fine at the end of the season and just went out of tune I bet a string or cable stretched.

Retune and you should be fine.
                This, also maybe his rest cord may have stretched.

Comment

Could be a number of things. Paper tuning only gives you a rough starting point to start really tuning your bow. Strings could have stretched. I would measure ATA/ brace height, draw length, and cam lean at full draw and make sure everything is still close to bow's spec and correct draw for you.

If good:
                  Spin test arrows first then, Walk back tune with your field points. Make minor adjustments to rest to correct
                  Then: Broadhead tune: Make very minor adjustments to rest to correct

Comment

Also make sure you don't have any nock pinch or rest contact

Comment

Thanks for the input so far guys. I am going to respond to some of the comments. I am shooting an older style Trophy Ridge drop away rest which has been on the bow since the beginning. Regarding tuning, the bow is currently shooting bullet holes with field points through paper which was done by the guys at Archery Country in Austin. I agree I do need to get an arrow spinner and spin test the arrows. However, this issue was not here with the exact same broadheads and exact same arrows last year. Can you still square up arrows that already have inserts in them? I actually just had 6 more arrows built and inserts are put in already. The issue is the same across multiple arrows I have been shooting. I agree that the one thing that could have changed from last year has to do with string stretch. I was hoping paper tuning would solve the issue but it has not.

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                        Thanks for the input so far guys. I am going to respond to some of the comments. I am shooting an older style Trophy Ridge drop away rest which has been on the bow since the beginning. Regarding tuning, the bow is currently shooting bullet holes with field points through paper which was done by the guys at Archery Country in Austin. I agree I do need to get an arrow spinner and spin test the arrows. However, this issue was not here with the exact same broadheads and exact same arrows last year. Can you still square up arrows that already have inserts in them? I actually just had 6 more arrows built and inserts are put in already. The issue is the same across multiple arrows I have been shooting. I agree that the one thing that could have changed from last year has to do with string stretch. I was hoping paper tuning would solve the issue but it has not.
                        Have you bare shaft tuned? If you do not know how just say and I will write up a procedure for doing so. Both for impact and more specifically for hitting with fletched shafts at 10yds.

Comment

New strings always mean a new tune and paper tuning is only a starting point.

Broadhead tuning is a great way to get what you are looking for out of the arrows. The idea is a simple, just move the rest to get the FIELD tipped arrows to the BRAODHEAD tipped arrows.

Then adjust sights to get them both on target.

I'm in Bertram, come see me, bring a 12 pack of Shiner and not only will we get your set up tuned, but you will learn how to do it as well.

For posterity...
                          New strings can, and often will, make a difference in the rest location due to the different elasticity, and to some degree elongation, characteristics of the new string. Most of the time the older strings will have more elasticity which puts less cam lean, and therefore less torque, on the riser. The new strings will have less elasticity, even if made of the same material, and will induce more cam lean and torque on the riser. This means that the new strings have a slightly different track than the old strings; which means you need to get the rest back in line with the new string track.

Chances are that if the string is the only thing that has changed you just need a minor retune of the rest to get everything back in shape. I would be very surprised if Archery Country installed the strings without checking the specs of the bow and cam timing. They are a good pro shop but have no way to broadhead tune since broadheads aren't allowed on the range.

Comment

If the same thing is happening with the new arrows it is going to be an issue with the broadhead or bow tuning. One way you can "spin" your arrows without an arrow spinner is to roll them along a table/bench/any other flat surface and watch the ends. If they appear to be going in a circle instead of spinning in place, the arrows could be bent.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                              Have you bare shaft tuned? If you do not know how just say and I will write up a procedure for doing so. Both for impact and more specifically for hitting with fletched shafts at 10yds.
                              No I have not done that. All that has been done is paper tuning with fletched arrows and 100gr field points inserted. Any info would be helpful.

Comment

Working...
                              X