The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
    Doing the guide number draw doubles your chances and you still have the chance at a premium tag for around 2k. I'll take that all day long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just make sure if you go with one of the guide number guys that operate as "simiguided" that they and you meet all the states hunt requirments for a guided hunt. The state officials have been keeping a eye on the simiguided operations for compliance. If they don't meet the requirements then they leave you, the hunter on the hook for both state and federal lacy act violations as a nonresident. If you are lucky enough to get drawn make sure and do your research on the states requirments as this is getting to be a bigger issue with the NM Draw allotment. Unfortunately not all these outfitters are big on ethics.

Comment

Originally posted by Kolpin10 View Post
      Just make sure if you go with one of the guide number guys that operate as "simiguided" that they and you meet all the states hunt requirments for a guided hunt. The state officials have been keeping a eye on the simiguided operations for compliance. If they don't meet the requirements then they leave you, the hunter on the hook for both state and federal lacy act violations as a nonresident. If you are lucky enough to get drawn make sure and do your research on the states requirments as this is getting to be a bigger issue with the NM Draw allotment. Unfortunately not all these outfitters are big on ethics.

Ya I'm using a reputable outfitter. They spend two full days with you and make you sign a contract before you apply. All good

Comment

Got a question for you guys that have used a pack out service after the kill. Do you have to bring the elk to a main trail or will they take the miles to the kill spot usually?

Comment

Originally posted by aggie11 View Post
          Got a question for you guys that have used a pack out service after the kill. Do you have to bring the elk to a main trail or will they take the miles to the kill spot usually?

I wouldn't be paying a pack out service a dollar unless they are coming to the kill site. If not might as well pack it the next few miles to the truck and save your money.

Comment

We had to pack ours out to the trail. Luckily the last 3 bulks we killed were all less than 1/2 mile from a trail, then the horses came and took it the last 7-8 miles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Comment

Canada is cheaper [emoji6]

Jerk!

PM me please sir with the outfitter you used and how much it cost.

Comment

I wouldn't be paying a pack out service a dollar unless they are coming to the kill site. If not might as well pack it the next few miles to the truck and save your money.

I agree with Larkin. I have only hired packout service once. They rode with me up to the kill site, helped me quarter it and packed it out from about 3 miles deep in a wilderness area to my truck for $300 and a meal that afternoon at the mexican food restaurant in town.

Comment

Originally posted by cxc02e View Post
                  None of my buddies hunt, so anyone interested in talking about entering the draw together to get a cow during the 4th rifle season in CO this coming season, let me know!!
                  I *may* be interested in a fourth season cow hunt in Colorado but I won't know until at least after my archery hunt in Montana in September

I reckon if I do go it will be on a leftover tag. Stay in touch with me after september.

Comment

elk thread

Man this thread is epic! I am trying to get my first elk hunt in this year. going to start building points and just doing OTC archery colorado this first trip. I got a good recommendation from a fellow TXbowhunter for an outfitter. Just waiting to hear if they have openings or not.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated in case they are booked?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                      So I have a hunt booked in unit 85 Colorado next year with C Bar Z outfitters in southern Colorado. Near Weston. Probably doing the 2nd rifle hunt. What kind of weather should I expect? And what sort of gear do you recommend for it? As far as camo. I want kuiu but man its gonna cost a ton to get it all and nowhere to try it on and Im not exactly a little feller.

Anybody else hunted with these guys? Seems like a great outfitter and a great area. Im pretty excited.
                      That area has had bulls in the 360-400 class in the last 10 years. Just depends on if your lucky if not, I will say it has more bears than just about anywhere in Colorado as well. I had 27 bear encounters in 16 days a couple years ago down there. Some of those on the Spanish Peaks wildlife area close to weston.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

My solution to a non existent gun holster for an ALICE pack
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                          I *may* be interested in a fourth season cow hunt in Colorado but I won't know until at least after my archery hunt in Montana in September

I reckon if I do go it will be on a leftover tag. Stay in touch with me after september.
                          Will do . . .

Comment

Anyone looking to do DIY OTC Colorado in mid to late September?

I may be looking into putting a few guys together. This would be my first elk hunt, so I'm definitely a beginner. Trying to talk a few buddies into going, but I'm not 100% sure I can get them on board.

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
                              Anyone looking to do DIY OTC Colorado in mid to late September?

I may be looking into putting a few guys together. This would be my first elk hunt, so I'm definitely a beginner. Trying to talk a few buddies into going, but I'm not 100% sure I can get them on board.
                              I'm hoping to get a landowner cow elk tag but if that doesn't work out I might be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                                I'm hoping to get a landowner cow elk tag but if that doesn't work out I might be interested.
                                Keep me posted, sir!

Comment

Working...
                                X