No announcement yet.

Deer was shot under 13"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm betting a come-along would fix that 1/4" gap.

Comment

Originally posted by crittergitter View Post
      i wonder what the game warden would do if the deer was illegal and the kid who shot it was under the age of 10.
      Write you the ticket because he is too young to have taken his hunter safety course and is suppose to be in the stand with you. Just like a ticket for letting an unlicensed driver drive you get the ticket.

Comment

I'm selling antler stretchers if anyone's interested....

Comment

Originally posted by mchildress View Post
          Write you the ticket because he is too young to have taken his hunter safety course and is suppose to be in the stand with you. Just like a ticket for letting an unlicensed driver drive you get the ticket.
          never said you was not in the stand or direct supervision of the child. if your kid takes the car without consent how is that allowing a unlicensed driver to drive.

i believe you read things that i did not type into the question.

the child(under 10) violates the law what can be done?

Comment

Props to the game warden for being leniant, could've put a damper on the youngsters wknd.

Comment

Sounds like a very wise GW. She held the perps for 2 hours & let them off the hook. The kid won't be scarred for life, but he, along with the guy who was supposed to be in control, will likely think twice before shooting a borderline buck in the future.

I love law enforcement officers - especially GWs. I don't believe in berating them, especially on TBH. I feel badly for all of the GWs who may read this thread. They deserve our respect, not insults.

Comment

I am not a big fan of challenging the law, but I have to think that a good lawyer might make a mess of that guy if he had ticketed the youth. If the deer was heavy horned as you say, and everything in the book was correct, then I'd have to think it was in excess of 13" too. I don't quite understand how someone can add a strict measurement to something that is to be estimated in real time.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                  come on...really?? 2 hours and a head to toe search for a kid under 1/4"
                  I got to think that this was the GW's way of stressing the importance without hitting them in the pocket book. I don't think the point would have hit home if he would have slapped the kid on the back and said good job, you're close but not quite there but it was a nice shot, good luck next weekend and try not to do it again. (I'm trying to give the gw the benefit of doubt)
                  By him acting that way I bet the kid and dad will be very cautious next time. (not that they weren't this time) He may have just acted more upset than he truly was to make the kid understand. (I hope) I don't know of a GW that isn't tickled to death when a kid gets a deer.

Comment

Sorta off topic..

If your teaching your kid to drive while they have their drivers permit and they get pulled over, who gets issued the ticket? The minor or the legal driver?

For some reason I remember the legal driver gets the ticket.

Comment

You are correct, the licensed adult...are you suggesting that the adult get the ticket if the youth shoots under 13"......I think that is how it is for youth under 15 or 16 isn't it

Originally posted by Fistula View Post
                      Sorta off topic..

If your teaching your kid to drive while they have their drivers permit and they get pulled over, who gets issued the ticket? The minor or the legal driver?

For some reason I remember the legal driver gets the ticket.

Comment

The first couple bucks I shot, I was a teenager and hunting alone. They were not 13" but might as well been 200" racks as excited as I was and just as proud! First couple yrs ihunted and got hooked I never saw a 13 " wide buck.... Would I still be hunting deer today had I not shot those bucks and got so hooked- probably not! I personally think there should be no antler restrictions for a child! Otherwise I support it! Hunting small low deer places and then telling a kid that finally sees a nice buck he ain't big enough is insulting to the hunting tradition/heritage

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post
                          The first couple bucks I shot, I was a teenager and hunting alone. They were not 13" but might as well been 200" racks as excited as I was and just as proud! First couple yrs ihunted and got hooked I never saw a 13 " wide buck.... Would I still be hunting deer today had I not shot those bucks and got so hooked- probably not! I personally think there should be no antler restrictions for a child! Otherwise I support it! Hunting small low deer places and then telling a kid that finally sees a nice buck he ain't big enough is insulting to the hunting tradition/heritage
                          I can understand that. I think the hope is that in 3-4 years that kid that would have shot a deer under 13 can now shoot one 16-17 because there is more. Than all the kids that are just starting out will shoot deer we could have only dreamed of for their first deer. We'll see, I'm in a new 13in county so I'm still waiting to see the results.

Comment

The book says " To determine if a buck has an inside spread measurement of at least 13 inches, look at the distance from ear-tip to ear-tip on a buck with ears in the alert position."

My question is: If you shoot a buck that has less than 13 inch inside spread but is outside the ears due to having smaller than average ears, is he legal?

On the flip side: If you shoot a buck that has more than 13 inch inside spread but is inside the ears due to having larger than average ears, is he illegal?

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post
                              Not just kids, for those of us that have been chasing these critters for years we can live with an AR. Might not like it, but I can live with it. What about the person that never had an opportunity to hunt as a kid and started hunting as an adult, That 4 point might as well be a 10 or a 12. What about the person that can not afford a lease and is working 6-7 days a week to support his / her family. Maybe they only get a few days to hunt. I'm not a fan of it. On the properties that I hunt on we have imposed our own AR that we discuss as a group, we also decided that kids and first time hunters that have never killed a buck were exempt from our self imposed rules. I am hunting in Leon county and I think we are on our 3rd year of AR this year, I'm not impressed, we are not seeing an increase in bigger bucks on our cameras. Maybe next year, who knows. I do know that between me an my buddies we saw 16 bucks last Sat, one was a shooter and he never gave anybody a shot. The rest were inside the ears.

Comment

"But Officer, It's spread was 13" before he hit the ground. The ground hit the left side main beam and it closed up a quarter inch."

"How was I supposed to know that deer has double jointed ears. I followed the TPWD instructions for telling if it's legal or not.."

Comment

Working...
                                X