Homemade suppressor??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by More Liberty View Post
    To really get the sound suppressed you need to use sub-sonic ammunition in tandem with the suppressor. If you don't you will still have the crack from the projectile as it breaks the sound barrier. Think of it as a mini sonic boom because that's what it is. However, subsonic ammo has a draw back. There is less velocity. A 5.56mm(.223) subsonic has about a 10th of the velocity as a standard 55 grain round.
    Subs are going about 1100fps give or take depending on conditions. A 223 using 55gr projectiles are running about 3200fps so it's only about 1/3 not 1/10.
    In most cases using a heavy for caliber bullet works better in subs but it takes a fast twist to stabilize them.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
      I’ve heard of people using oil filters so long as the barrel is threaded. It’s not legal and I do not recommend it but I’ve been told by unnamed sources that it works very well hence why it is not legal nor do I advise it especially after I lost all of my rifles in a boating accident in the gulf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
        SD Tactical sells kits that you build and submit a form 1. I built one of all titanium for 30 cal with a QD muzzle device and sent it back for “repair” and they installed a monocore. Ended up being more like $400 not including stamp. Quality is very good and for an all titanium can it’s a good value.
        This. I sent mine to rusty. Where did you go?
        Last edited by 1shot; 10-16-2018, 08:16 AM.

Comment

I have a 9mm can that I built. I built it so that I can use different thread pitch caps or a booster because my primary use for it was 1/2x36 barrel on my 9mm AR pistol. I've done a side by side with my .30cal Omega on a 300 Blackout bolt action. There is a difference in volume but I don't know if it is because of the larger bore or the baffle design. Regardless, I enjoy it. It is a titanium tube.

Comment

Originally posted by 1shot View Post
            This. I sent mine to rusty. Where did you go?
            I forget his name but t it was their guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Statton48 View Post
              Was talking to a guy the other day that has quit a few that he made. He got them all legal and stamped. He said it only cost him around $300 to make some of his better ones. Have any of you tried or did this? Seems like a great way to only spend $500 and have everything you need. What are the laws behind it? Or was he pulling my leg and it was all just crap?
              bought mine for 350 from american manufacturing, but they arent in business anymore. id be surprised if materials really cost 300, im sure some of that goes to the machines

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                I’ve heard of people using oil filters so long as the barrel is threaded. It’s not legal and I do not recommend it but I’ve been told by unnamed sources that it works very well hence why it is not legal nor do I advise it especially after I lost all of my rifles in a boating accident in the gulf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I believe it is legal as along as you register(form 1) the thread adapter for the oil filter if you are going to shoot through it. If not, the adapter is just a way to keep the oil filter on the end so solvent does not go flying when the brush pops out of the barrel

Comment

I went the "solvent trap" route with a Form 1. Bought most of my components from one of the companies that got shut down by ATF but was fortunate to get my delivery right before that happened. Mine screws on to a yankee hill muzzle brake. Aluminum tube with stainless blast baffle followed by aluminum baffle stack that I drilled out myself. Runs great on my 300blk AR and I love it. Would do it again in a heartbeat. I even rolled my own prints for my form 1 trust submission Total cost under $250 not including the trust and stamp.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                    I may have seen one built from pvc pipe that works great.
                    me and jeremi made one from cotton balls and a water bottle on the .22 that worked great.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunterbarton86 View Post
                      me and jeremi made one from cotton balls and a water bottle on the .22 that worked great.
                      And filed a form 1 of course!

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                        Have made several on form 1's and still have a few approved stamps that I havent started on. Machined different alloys in aluminum, titanium and stainless for tubes and baffles, endcaps. They can have threaded endcaps or welded up depending on the use.
                        Materials are about $15 for aluminum, $100 for stainless and $200 for titanium. I don't figure machining time for personal use. Have them laser engraved by a local guy.
                        Would you mind posting links to a good supplier for these parts? Been wanting to build one and try it out.
                        Thanks.

Comment

Not send it but check out form 1 builder . most complete kits per say . Solvent traps direct has some nice muzzle brakes to run as with a can as well . Nice option .

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Witchgrass View Post
                              Would you mind posting links to a good supplier for these parts? Been wanting to build one and try it out.
                              Thanks.
                              x2.

Comment

Why would you do paperwork, and a tax stamp on a $8 oil filter? I’ll stick with commercial cans.

Comment

Working...
                                X