Breeding programs- acceptable loss question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breeding programs- acceptable loss question

I got the opportunity, and pleasure, to assist Chase Carter's crew this past weekend at the ranches up-start breeding program.
    We handled 79 deer (performing, tagging , tattooing, DNS samples, and deworm/vaccination), and had a fawn crop of 40 fawns...
    We lost 4 fawns during the process - 3 from overheating is what I heard being repeated..and one from injury caused by it running directly into a wall at full speed.
    I understand there is an expected "acceptable" loss during this process , based on how stressed they get during the process - regardless of how stress free you try to make it.
    Wonder if there is a industry standard number based on the process for loss..

For a first run through the facility it went pretty smoothly once we learned what we needed to do in the processes.
    Mr.Carter and his crew run like a machine... pretty cool stuff - learned a bunch.

Are sure his name wasn't Chase Clark??

Comment

Originally posted by FCTrapper View Post
      Are sure his name wasn't Chase Clark??
      yes... it was Chase Clark...(TDA pres).. not sure why even typed Carter...thanks

Comment

Not sure about numbers but we bought some axis about a month ago (4 doe and 2 bucks) all the doe were prego. When our good, trusted and very ethical friend arrived with the axis two doe were dead. It was very upsetting, the others were fine and have been doing great, they have close to 800 acres to do with as they please. That being said we are getting two more but just the fact that he seemed to of taken great care to get them to us safely... He just said sadly it happens sometimes, the drive was about 1 hour... I do not know if this is the norm of not but sure was upsetting.

Comment

Lots of things factor into loss during transport and release, temperament, loading and unloading pens, release site, temperature, stress, distance, have made several and it varies. I high recommend a release pen to turning them out in the pasture.

Comment

Working...
          X