Inconsistent 700 BDL Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inconsistent 700 BDL Rifle

Bought this rifle in ‘96, sold it to a friend a year later to upgrade to a Sendero. Earlier this year, I bought it back from him. It was my first rifle and I wanted it back. He kept it in a safe most of the time. We both put about 150 total rounds through it.
    Fast forward to when I got it back. I’ve had it for a couple months now, mounted a Leupold 4.5-14x40 on it.
    Been taking it to the range and can’t get it to shoot consistently. I’ve been shooting different types of ammo but have been shooting to see what groups best. And nothing is consistent. 1.5-2” groups.
    One is spot on, the next 1.5” high and left, the next 2” low and stuff like that.
    Now, because of the inconsistencies, I swapped out factory trigger and installed a Trigger Tech trigger on it. Also noticed the barrel wasn’t free floating, so I went in there and sanded the stock and now I can slide a dollar bill through it.
    I take the rifle to the range Sunday morning hoping to see a big change.
    NOPE! Still all over the place.
    What can be causing this? I’ve cleaned the barrel pretty good, I think.
    Run a brush a couple of times through it and a bunch of patches. Have used that foam copper remover, and more patches with Hoppes No.9.
    Here’s a target from today.
    Center and lower left target are Remington 100 grain bullets.
    Upper left is Hornady 117 grain Superformance.
    Top right is Nosler Trophy Grade 100 grain bullets.
    The top right started off good, the first 3 was an 1” group, till I shot the 4th.
    That one was lower and headed in the wrong direction.
    HELP! Do I have a bad barrel? Scope isn’t loose, I’ve mounted plenty scopes before.
    I’m lost and it’s frustrating me.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Vulcanman; 10-29-2017, 11:34 PM.

I had similar results a few years a go. My scope was a new Nikon 3x9x50 and it was the problem. New scope fixed it, GL

Comment

Check rail, and rings. If it ain't that, throw another scope on it. It's gotta be one of those if there were no problems before.

Comment

I have a BDL 30-06 that shot about like that. Floating the barrel, bedding the action, and hand loading tightened it up to a consistent 3/4 Moa rifle.
        Last edited by WTucker; 10-29-2017, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Action screws torqued properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Had the same thing happen on my 788. Turned out to be the scope as well. I free floated the barrel and all kinds of stuff before figuring out the scope was the problem. I put a new one on and problem fixed.

Comment

I know its not the norm but cant some barrels be too clean and need to have some copper fouling to shoot good?

Comment

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
                I know its not the norm but cant some barrels be too clean and need to have some copper fouling to shoot good?
                I have seen this as well.

I have also seen scopes cause issues.

Comment

check the crown

Comment

I'd change out the scope and make sure all the screws on the scope mounts are good and tight!

Comment

When I have one doing this I check first what is easy and progress along one thing at a time or you will not know what the issue was

Check all screws, scope mounts and action
                      Check barrel is free lloated
                      Check crow
                      replace scope with known scope
                      Cleaning some barrels shoot well clean others need some fouling to be consistent, clean and try again but on a couple rifles they need 3 to 10 or so shots to settle in.
                      Bed action to stock

Beyond that ammo or gunsmith.

Comment

1st Recheck base & rings for proper torque, 2nd Mount a different scope on the gun from a proven accurate rifle, 3rd Check action screws for proper torque (this can be played with for best accuracy). Last you may need to bed the action i have had rifles that had inconsistent accuracy drill holes after bedding.

Comment

Thanks for the info! I’ll need to check action torque and then move on to the scope. I know this gun was about a 3/4 moa when I first had it, would like to get it back to that....or as close to it as long as it’s consistent.

Comment

Probably scope.
                            I just had the same issue with a Remington 700 and the scope turrets were loose. Sent it in and the company repaired it and had it back to the house in 7 days.

Comment

My money is on bad barrel. Your buddy has had it since 97. Probably not cleaned and stored properly.

Comment

Working...
                              X